Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I stand corrected. The local dealer listed a 2011 Touring GLS on their web site, and I went by to see if it was real. It was. It looks EXACTLY like a 2010 inside and out, except for one thing. The roof rails are silver/gray satin finish. Which, to be honest, did not look that good on the bright blue car. All the other trim bits are black, so the rails look like an add-on.

The only way you could tell this was a 2011 was the rails mentioned above, and the window sticker that stated "2011 Elantra Touring GLS"
  • compensatecompensate Posts: 212
    See if you can find the SE model. It is supposed to have leather seats as standard equipment along with beefy tires.

My local Hyundai dealer (one that I don't trust) said the 2011 Elantra Touring would not begin being built for another 3 months. I thought that was not true and figured he just wanted to try to sell one of his many 2010 models on his lot.

Typical car dealer . . .
    edited July 2010
    The GLS was the only one they had.

BTW, I think the leather interior is limited to the sedan SE, and not the Touring SE.

I tried to "backdoor" investigate and see if leather replacement seat covers were available through Hyundai for the Touring, and they are. Very expensive. What I couldn't determine is if this was a non-US option as several items are with the Touring, most notably the Homelink rearview mirror. As I have mentioned before, this is very strange since the mirror is produced for sale in the US, but not available as a factory installed option. Other items are the back up sensors, the diesel engine option that is apparently very popular in Europe, etc.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    edited July 2010
    I don't know about the sedan, but the Touring looks to have leather in the 2011 SE.

Edmunds

Hyundai of Tampa
    I will keep my eyes out for an SE to show at the dealer. I had leather in my '05 GT and was impressed with it's quality. 60K miles and it still looked like new.

I still think it is weird that homelink is available, but not in the US. Our other car is a 2010 Tucson Ltd, every option except all wheel drive. Homelink was not available on it, either.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    Got the car back. Not much difference despite a few tweaks...swapped out the rims for the steel wheels...calibration of the electric steering...full rotation of the tires. Torque pull really isnt the issue, Now if I full throttle it at any point, I do feel a little extra tug to the right, but under normal acceleration and crusing, I can write that off as a contributing cause. I drive a highway daily that the left lane does crown to the left, and if it does drift left, it can be compensated for like in any other car. Now we wait for another Hyundai Rep to come to the dealership.

The other problem is the accessory power drop off at idle. As Ive stated, Havent driven a modern day vehicle that does this. While on vacation, I tested other family members cars, and the only drop of voltage between all tested were 0.1 volts( from idle to full load) and of course no slowdown of accessories. Sounds like the voltage regulators are doing the job. My car? Not so much...it drops from 13.8 to 12.2-12.3. when accessories are on.

Jim- youve explained this as normal, but my anecdotal testing/evidence sure puts my car in the minority.
    Your Elantra (and mine) have 95A alternators. Most American made vehicles will be 105A to 130A, depending on the make and model. I am afraid that what you are experiencing is normal for the alternator used in this application. The easiest way to change the design would be to use a smaller diameter pulley on the alternator to increase it's spinning speed at idle.
    Is there an alternator that has higher amperage?

How hard is it to find a smaller diameter pulley?
    Hyundai does have a 120A alternator, but it uses a different connection scheme, so that's not an option.

You might try an alternator rebuild shop and see if they can fit a smaller pulley.

I have to ask, why is this such a problem? Do you idle the car for extended periods of time with all the accessories and lights on?

I stated earlier that the car has a 95A alternator, and I believe that is incorrect. It is actually a 90A.
    Because of a compression of time schedule at work today, I was put in a position of using my Touring to deliver some material to a vendor. I pulled around to the loading dock at work and the guys looked at the stack of seven big boxes, and looked at "Pearl".

They started laughing and said "Dude, those will never fit in that little thing".

But they did. All seven, though I did have to put one in the front passengers seat. Made me a little nervous to drive in bumper to bumper traffic with cargo worth five times the value of the car! :surprise:
  • Sounds like the making of a good commercial. Guy pulls up in Touring at loading dock, people laugh and say "Dude, those will never fit in that little thing." Next second you see the guy whistling to his iPod while hauling 7 big boxes through traffic. Next second it's evening and you see the ET sans boxes driving through a nice neighborhood. He gets out dressed in a nice suit to open the door for his date. The date hold up some evidence of his earlier activities in the car and asks what's this. He says something like I drive around valuable items during the day too!
    Its not a big problem, but imo compared to every other car Ive driven it seems to defeat the purpose of the system.

Also, the fan and the wipers are pretty weak under max speed regardless. The loss under load makes it that much weaker.

In the end, I can live with that if that cant be made different. However...its secondary to the unresolved pulling to the right.

Theres absolutely no compromise there. Fix it, find one that drives straight, or Hyundai buys it back. Waiting for another rep from Hyundai.
    I noticed another thing with the steering wheel that strikes me as odd. That being the wheel offsets to the right when left "unattended". We know which way the car goes. Again, it doesnt matter what road, or what speed- the wheel and the corresponding behavior are the same. Didnt really notice it before since it requires taking the eyeballs off the road.

It feels like the steering settles in a "notch" (for lack of a better descriptor). Now, if Im traveling in a lane thats crowned to the left, the car tracks considerably better with the steering wheel in this same position. Why this "notch" isnt with the steering wheel pointing straight ahead is puzzling. Still playing the waiting game and becoming increasingly disenchanted with Hyundai( not really the dealer) each passing day....

Also, does anyone have issues with bad harmonics on the highway? Kind of like a pulsating buzz/vibration felt in the floor boards and steering wheel? Its somewhat audible as well.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    edited July 2010
    Sorry for your troubles blh. I have the harmonics thing on my 09 Vibe, which means it is the Corolla transmission. Mine has settled down after 25,000 miles however. I hope the same happens with your HET. It was most noticable in the 65-70 mph range. I also do not have any pull whatsoever in my '10 HET.
    edited August 2010
    Yep, I drive a bit. But the commute on the highway is sweet. 30 miles each way, and consistently getting just over 30mpg. Morning is cruising at 70+, afternoon a mix of 60ish and stop and go.

Only a couple of minor issues; buzzy shifter, small rattle in the dash vent on the passengers side. I should note here that I am very picky when it comes to such things.

Also own a 2010 Tucson, so I went to the parts department and bought a 10 pack of oil filters. Both will get changes every 3 months; Mine will be at 5K miles, Tucson at 3-3.5K since it is driven almost exclusively in town.

Still getting comments from folks on the looks of "Pearl" (black pearl paint). I am quite satisfied with the vehicle.
  • berrodlberrodl Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 Elantra Touring w/o Bluetooth installed. The dealer said they could install it for me for a price. Is dealer installed as good as factory installed? Any major differences? Has anyone experienced this and could help me out? If the dealer installed isn't as good as factory, then I'll keep looking for a car that already has it installed. Thanks.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 124
    If the unit is already installed in the car by the factory, it will cost less than the parts and labor that the dealer would charge; it makes sense to see which dealers in your area have what you want already installed.
  • brek1brek1 Posts: 19
    On the other hand, if you really want a 2010 (instead of a 2011) your chances may be slim of finding one with the bluetooth factory installed. I just bought a 2010 SE last night :) and can tell you it was not easy finding one. Many dealers simply do not have any in stock and because prices seem so low, the ones that are left are going rather quickly. We had to settle for our 3rd choice of color...
    The dealer will (or at least should) install the Hyundai Bluetooth kit. If you want, you can read up on it at hmaservice.com. They have the complete instructions on how to install the kit. It is more involved than I would have thought.
  • strei007strei007 Posts: 16
    I've noticed that if your car is not level when filling your gas tank your fill can vary by up to one gallon. When the front of the car is slightly lower than the back you can get extra fuel into the tank. This works the opposite when the front of the car is higher than the back. My gas mileage has varied from 30mpg to 38mpg from one fill to the next because of this. I've had to average out numerous fills to get a good estimate of gas mileage. After about 10 fills my average is 34-35 mpg. This is on the 5sp with a daily hwy commute of 15 miles each way. Once, I did a 250 mile hwy trip and filled up at the same pump before and after. I got 36 mpg. Interestingly the gas gauge was exactly 1/2 full and I got exactly 7 gals in. The total fuel capacity is 14 gal.