Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• eba55eba55 Posts: 20
    Thanks for posting. What kind of MPG are you getting? They only have automatics out here too, but I'm tired of shifting so I think I'll be ok with that. I've been getting 26-28 in town in my old Elantra so I'm wondering if it will be possible to get near that. :shades:
  • Do you know what the invoice price of the base Elantra Touring Automatic is? A dealer in NJ is offering it at $1,000 below invoice and $1,000 Hyundai rebate but I can't find the invoice price on Edmunds. I have a 2008 Elantra SE and I love it. Unfortunately, I will have to give it to my daughter to take to college next year since it replaces a Corolla she totaled last June. I am thinking of trading or selling my 2008 Toyota Sienna XLT Ltd for the touring. The Elanta is so easy to drive and park. Thanks
  • delaluzdelaluz Posts: 48
    I saw my first Touring (silver) at our local Raleigh, NC Hyundai dealer. Please note that I had two Elantra hatchbacks and now own a 2007 Sonota. Here's my take:

1) It's a very attractive car, especially for essentially a small station wagon.
    2) It looked a lot bigger than I thought. I don't have my Elantra HB but it looked a lot bigger than I my HB.

I wish Hyundai was offering great deals on them cause I would be tempted to trade in my Sonata, which I love. BTW, my combined mileage in my Sonata is around 24 MPG.

Anyway, here's my 2 cents!

Berto
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    I saw my first Touring last Friday. It looks ... substantial. And it feels composed and planted in a fast corner. This one was dark silver (gray?) and I probably would have started into haggling had it been a manual trans. Next steps - find a manual one. Then, drive it again, with more freeway time - I spend lots of time in 2-4 hour jaunts on the I-5 here in So Cal. Just to be sure. Finally, if I can get a factory roof rack on it (for my bikes), and I can get my golf clubs into it with the seats up, we've got a winner.
  • 4 speed auto, no moonroof. 18,500 out the door, including delivery. I shopped it against the XB, Kia Rondo, Matrix, RAV 4. Elantra had the best combo of price, interior room, fuel mileage, and warranty. Slapping the gated auto to the right downshifts from 4th to 3rd and provides reasonable acceleration. I get 26.5 around town, legitimately 30+ on the highway. Peppier than you'd expect, but I still wish it had an extra gear, and window tinting. Good commuter car, and plenty of room for 2 large dogs behind the rear seat. :)
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Congrats on your purchase. I haven't driven the ET, but I did spend a bit of time in an Elantra sedan last fall and came away very impressed.

You listed an interesting group of alternatives. I would have guessed the Matrix would be a direct competitor, but I'm surprised about the others. I guess I still have a mental division between "station wagon" (ET, Mazda 3 hatch, Jetta SportWagen, Matrix) and "something else" (RAV4=SUV, Rondo=mini-minivan, XB=something else). But it does make sense--something with maximum utility, ~$20k, reliable, with maybe a hint of sportiness but not to be confused with what the Brits call a "hot hatch."

I don't want to put you on the spot here, but I am curious about some of the cars you didn't mention shopping the ET against. If considering the ET to be a small four-door hatchback/wagon, then what about the Rabbit, the Mazda3, the Fit, the Versa hatch, or maybe the HHR or PT Cruiser? If shopping it against the RAV4, then what about the CR-V, the Tucson/Sportage, or the Element?
    The same dealer had the same car a week later. I verified three key things:

1) My golf clubs fit fine in the back. Two sets for sure, maybe three. Glad they sculpted out the sides of the cargo area for this.
    2) Hyundai Parts gave me a list of Parts (and a drawing) of how to attach a real factory roof rack. As they are Parts, and not an Accessory, it's over $400. But this solves the "where do I put the bikes" problem, and still stays about the same price of a 1.8L Matrix. Much better handling as well.
    3) On a 15-minute freeway jaunt, at 75 mph, it's a quiet ride. Very well controlled ride as well, on the choppy concrete.

Still looking for a stick shift version to test drive. Anyone else tried one yet?
  • eba55eba55 Posts: 20
    And I love it. It's an automatic and has been averaging 27 around town. It sure handles better than the 6 year old 5 speed manual elantra it replaced, and is getting just as good mpg! I'm so upset- the husband rubbed the wheel on the curb tonight. I've never had a car with nice wheels, and now I see why that was a good thing. Just that little rub ate up the edge of the wheel! Can anything be done to make it look better besides getting a new wheel? :mad:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    It turns out there are companies who do this, some that even specialize in it (e.g. they come to you to repair the wheel). If you google "alloy wheel repair" you'll see some of the options around. I've not used this kind of service before, but I have a 2004 GT with some dinged-up alloys (yes, curbs) and I might look into it.

Those alloys on the Touring are very sharp. The first ding is always the hardest. :cry:
  • marlenelinmarlenelin Posts: 87
    I purchased a touring this week in central NJ and I think I got a great price. Cost was 3,050 OTD with a trade of my 2004 Toyota Sienna Ltd with 61,000 miles on it that was in good condition. The way they wrote up the purchase stated that they were giving me $13,000 for my Sienna. The receipt was confusing but the bottom line was all I cared about. I probably could have gotten about $15 for my Sienna selling it privately, but I saved about $1,000 on the tax and this was much easier. It is the base model, black with light interior, automatic, with mats and wheel locks. So far I'm getting about 24 mpg around town in some heavy traffic. I have a question about the key fob. It opens up the car but when I press on the hatch door it does not release it. Is that typical of other tourings or does my fob need to be reprogrammed? Thanks Marlene
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    If it works like the trunk on the sedan you need to hold the button down for about 2 seconds.
    The back hatch doesn't pop open on its own. You have to unlock it with fob, and then lightly touch the rubber-coated button under the lip of the hatch handle. With practice, it becomes a single motion.

Hope this helps.
  • delaluzdelaluz Posts: 48
    How does the hiway ride on the Touring compare to the Sienna?
    Thanks for your response. We tried it last night and it worked. My salesman was awful and didn't go over any of the car's details with me, so I've been reading the manual when I can. Luckily I have a 2008 SE as well so it is not that different. I'm glad the hatch doesn't pop open on its own. That could be a problem if the fob was pressed accidentally. Marlene
    Even though the Sienna was the most comfortable car I've ever driven, the Elantra is so much easier to drive. I barely have to put my foot on the gas and it goes, and it is so much easier to park. The Sienna LTD was a very heavy car and you had to give it a heavy foot. I can't compare gas mileage yet since all my driving on the Touring has been around town and averaging between 23 and 24 mpg. Around town my Sienna would get around 17. My 2008 SE gets about 35 mpg on all highway driving. So far I love the Touring, although this weekend after a garage sale, I missed the hauling capability of the Sienna and had to make three trips to donate the leftovers.
  • evanfrankevanfrank Posts: 1
    ecotrklvr:

would you be kind enough to forward me parts list and drawing for your roof rack on the elantra touring? I am struggling to find one that will fit.

let me know if you need my email address or fax #.

Many thanks in advance.
    Evan
  • csi007csi007 Posts: 26
    Thinking about buying a 2009 Touring. The dash is obviously not the standard 1 or 2 DIN opening. Anyone have a solution for replacing the factory radio/dash panel and replace it with something after market?

Thank you!
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Have you tried Crutchfield?
  • csi007csi007 Posts: 26
    Yeah, they would not have what is needed. Because of the non-standard radio openings what Crutchfield offers will not work without modifications to the dash plastic. However, I am not even certain that a 2 DIN space is behind the factory dash plastic.
    Well, the Sakes Manager at the second dealership called me and told me he believes that the rack attachment points aren't really there on the car. So you can buy the rack parts but they can;attachment be attached to the car. So now I've got 2 opinions, and a split decision. Now waiting for 2010 Subaru Outback to test-drive.