Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Touring 2009 -

Comments

• How long should I expect my XM free trial subscription to work before it tells me that I have to pay for it? I thought it was 3 months but I'd had my car 3.5 months now and it's still working. I called XM a few weeks ago to inquire about getting the online service along with a paid subscription and asked the guy if he knew when the trial would run out. He said that car subscriptions were activated through a different system so he had no idea. It turned out I could not get the MLB games with the online service so I did not pursue it and figured that I would wait until it stopped working. I am surprised I haven't gotten anything in the mail from XM.

BTW you can call XM and get 5 months for $20+tax which is a much better deal than the normal $12/mo (or is it 13?). The guy I spoke to offered me that option, but since my service was still working I decide to wait.

Also, I learned something new about the radio controls this week. If you hold the station change arrows on the steering wheel down, it works the same as the Scan button. It beeps and goes up to the next station. For XM it moves up one channel. This is GREAT since I always had trouble cycling through the XM channels looking for the various MLB games (I only have one stored as a favorite). Also it works better than the knob, which sometimes would get "stuck" on an XM channel if you tried to move too quickly.

I still wish they had a mute button on the steering wheel.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    1. Yes, the lack of a mute button is an oversight, especially in cars with Bluetooth
    2. Asking XM any questions is a lost cause. Their "employees" don't know anything about their product
    3. You can expect your XM to last only one month past the expiration date. There is always a few weeks added on to those who let their subscription lapse, so I would expect the same for trials as well.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,378
    In case this was missed, I'm reposting my question. Thanks for any help.

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the cargo area of the ET? I can find a quoted measurement of 63" for the cargo floor with the seats folded down; does anyone know the width between the wheel wells, and the height from the cargo floor to the ceiling?

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

edited May 2010
    sorry for the delay. Measurements are:

41'' between the wheel wells
    30'' high from floor to hatch opening at the top
    33'' high from floor to ceiling once you clear the hatch opening at the top. This is the measurement on a vehicle without sunroof
    64'' long (minimum) cargo area with the rear seats folded down, and with the driver's seat all the way back and angled back to maximize comfort for a long legged driver. If you put the front seats more forward and upright, the length will increase

If you are doing comparison shopping, I believe the ET is larger in the cargo area than the Tucsan, and has a lot more storage areas in the back with the pull up floor revealing the styrofoam storage tray. I did not see such a tray on the Tucsan, only the spare tire once you pulled up the cargo floor.
    Thanks a lot for this info. It really helps.

Those interior dimensions look pretty generous given the car's external size. I'm comparing it to other wagons and hatchbacks, and really only the Jetta wagon beats it without going to a different size class.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

• polyplypolyply Posts: 4
    Just bought a brand new touring gls a month or so ago and have loved driving it. We were minutes from picking up a Matrix when we decided to test drive a touring (both were manual transmissions) and the touring was SO much more pleasant and engaging to drive, with only slightly less fuel efficiency - and a lot more cargo space for less money.

Quick question - have any other Touring owners had issues with pinging? I just started hearing some within the last week under normal driving and loads. We haven't even hit 2000 miles yet so I am a little disturbed.
    edited May 2010
    the only issue with pinging I have read about on other ET forums is related to a TSB that is out there whereby Hyundai is claiming the use of after market oil filters can cause pinging. Is your car brand new, or was it used, and now has 2,000 miles on it? I'm assuming new, but thought I would ask nonetheless.
    Not to take business away from this board, but pinging is serious stuff. In addition to posting and monitoring here, you may want to join and post on this ET board: hyundaiforum.com/ and manuever your way to the ET forum site
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    No, no issues with pinging. In my part of the country regular is 87 octane.

And about that fuel economy... Wait until you are over 3K miles before you check it. I don't know what the deal is, but I have owned three brand new Elantra with the 2.0L, and everyone of them got a slight bump in fuel economy between 2.5K and 3K.

I drive a '10 Touring SE w/5spd, and running 75-80 on the highway (don't ask!) I consistently get 31mpg. If I am in a locale where I can stay at 70 without getting run over, that jumps to 32-33.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Don't sweat it - in Texas, this is legal. :)

Thanks for the pointer maxx, I posted on the other forum as well.

I did purchase the car new, it had 200 miles on it - it was driven in from another dealer a few hours away.

I've heard the aftermarket filter story too, it sounds like a load of you know what to me, though I'm no expert.
    I should add too - When I shift gears, even if I'm conscious of getting my foot off the gas before I get the other on the clutch, the rpms fall really slowly, and will even blip up a bit first.

I don't know if its related.....
    Mine is just the opposite. The first 20% of pedal movement is dead, followed by a minimum RPM of 2200. It is going to the shop for this issue in the next day or so. Makes driving a stick in traffic an interesting, jerky proposition.

The 80MPH speed limit in Texas is restricted to a section of I10 out west of San Antonio. Very appropriate as there is NOTHING out there. But they also have a zero tolerance beyond that, and the slower limit at night is real. Lot's of critters on the road out there at night. :surprise:
    edited May 2010
    So the dealer took a look at the flat spot in the throttle. That is, no throttle below 2000-2200 rpm. Very repeatable, and they checked several others on the lot. Guess what? The automatics didn't do it, but all of the manuals do. So, just so happened the factory service rep was in the area, and they called him in. No codes, no nothing. Computers all show systems are performing "as designed". To which I told the factory guy to call up the engineers and find out what is wrong with the software, because the computer is not reacting to the throttle position sensor in the first 15% of travel. When he tried to argue, I just asked why the autos don't do it. This is repeatable everytime, and you can see it happen when sitting dead still or moving, just by trying to get the engine to run at any speed between idle and 2000-2200 rpm. An automatic will do it (in park or neutral) but none of the manuals on the lot would.

Considering it is the same engine with the manual or the auto, and the only difference is in the ECM software, someone at Hyundai should be able to figure this out. For now, they will only say that it isn't right, but there is nothing to fix unless the factory comes up with a software fix.

Anybody out there with the 2.0L and 5spd, why don't you try this and see what happens? With the engine at normal operating temp, in neutral (or with the clutch in) see if you can slowly accelerate the engine from idle up to 2000rpm. Then rev the engine to 2500rpm and try to bring it slowly down to idle. I tried it in an auto and it will do it. But everytime it was tried in a manual, no throttle below 2K, and if you try to bring it from 2500 down slowly, just above 2K it will just drop to idle.

Be interesting to see if anyone else sees this.

Sigh. :sick:
  • What are the differences between the two models ?

What do you actually get for the increase in price ?

What's the average increase from the GLS to the SE ?

Opinion - is it worth it ?

Thank You !!!

--- Penguinhead
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A visit to HyundaiUsa.com will help answer those questions accurately. :)
    Quick answer, the SE is the sports model. Stiffer, sportier handling, alloys and low profile tires. More standard features. You can also use Edmunds to compare the two trim levels and see what is standard on each.
    Uh, I don't think there is any different steering or handling components. The SE simply comes with some additional bells and whistles, but the body, engine, and basic body/mechanical attributes are all the same. The SE is a stiffer ride due to the 17 inch alloy tires (vice 15 on the GLS with steel). The combo of the steel and smaller footprint make for a smoother ride. So, if you don't need a leather wrapped steering wheel, sunroof, alloy wheels, larger/more expensive tires, get the GLS with Preferred Package #2; its a much better deal.
    They both have the same stabilizer bars, but the SE uses a faster ratio steering rack and stiffer spring rates.

You are very correct in you statement that the GLS with pkg 2 is a good deal. I drove both when I was shopping and preferred the handling character of the SE. Then again, I have always been a bit of a sports car nut. Also, I was shopping for a 5spd, and the SE uses a short throw shifter. Funny that Hyundai was paying attention and found that one of the most popular modifications to the earlier GT sedan was the swap of the stock shifter for the B&M short throw shifter. So it is now standard in the SE.

The other common mod on the previous generation Elantra was to change out the rear stabilizer with the rear bar from the Tiburon GT. Bolted right up and gave the car a slight oversteer character. Actually, more like a go-kart without affecting the ride harshness.
    Wow, I feel ripped off again. Not only did I not get the P-bass on my radio and was stuck with an ashtray and cig lighter I did not want, I now find out that there ARE upgraded steering components on the SE. This is the first time I have ever heard this. In all my research, I have seen it mentioned anywhere. That's it, I'm getting my money back :D
    Hey, I got the asht, er, coin tray too! I am thinking about getting one of the 12v power jacks and replacing the cig lighter. Although anyone who knows me wouldn't dare to light up in one of my cars.

I really had to dig to find out about the steering ratio. It isn't a lot different, but some. But you better really like the ride if you are going to go with an SE, because it is night and day different from the GLS.

Understand that my most fun toy ever was an unsprung racing go-kart that sat about .75" off the ground. Whoo Hooo!
    I've been looking into this car, and have read a lot of reviews about it. This is the first mention I've heard of a different steering rack and spring rates for the ET SE. Where did you track down the info? I'd like to read more about it...

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

edited May 2010
    The steering is a bit numb on the GLS as reported by auto magazines. But that is not all bad. Although the steering is speed sensitive, I cannot tell the difference from the parking lot to the highway. The steering remains "stiff" compared to the Toyota steering on my Vibe. Although I like the Vibe's steering better than the ET, you don't have to worry about drifting out of your lane with the ET. Again, if the ET had two more inches of travel in the driver's seat, I'd be dumping my Vibe today for another ET. It is a super car. Go Hyundai, go!
    Really got to dig to find it. If you can find a credit union online that subscribes to Webcarbook (and you won't need to be a member to use it) they have a typical "build what you want" utility that also gives a ton of detail on the specs of the cars. That is one place where you will see the steering ratio difference. The springs are even trickier. Hyundai part book. You can't just look up the springs in an aftermarket catalog because they do not go that specific. Just like looking up shocks for a car with and without a sports suspension, many times aftermarket will only show one application.

Try a seat of the pants comparison. On a smooth, wavy roadway you can really feel it. The vehicle adapts more quickly to the irregularities.

As I said earlier, if you like really tight responsive handling more that softer ride, go with the SE. If you prefer the smoother ride, the GLS.
    edited May 2010
    I'm amazed that I have had to exhaust so much energy to find the correct oil filter wrench cup for the 2010 ET OEM oil filter. My dealer won't provide me the information, and when I take an ET oil filter to different parts stores, none carry the right one. Anyone have advice on how to find the correct size wrench cup?
    It is an oddball. I gave up and started using the metal strap style. Works very well, and there is pleny of room to use it.

I have three different cup style sockets, and you are right, none of them fit.
  • crowheartcrowheart Posts: 36
    I recently purchased a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLS with the popular pkg. I was wondering if anyone has taken these cars on back roads (non-pavement) gravel or dirt ,and how does the car hold up on these kinds of roads? I have the 15 inch tires as well. Also I was wondering about the mud flaps, are they easy to install? Does anyone know what the dealership charges to install the mud flaps?
    Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...
    The GLS shouldn't be too rough with the larger tire/wheel ratio. Like many things, this is open to personal definition of "rough road" and "acceptable noise and vibration". The vehicles are well put together, so I wouldn't expect them to do any worse than others.

As I recall, the holes are already there to attach the mudflaps, but in all honesty I would need to confirm that when I leave work. If you buy the mudflaps through the dealer you bought the car from, you might be able to get a "good customer" deal on the install.
  • misterbillmisterbill Posts: 60
    >

So I am now about a week and a half past 4 months and it's still working. Every day I turn it on expecting it not to work and it keeps working. Not that I am complaining, of course.
    oh it will stop. both XM and OnStar run for a few weeks past their end point and then stop.
    oh it will stop. both XM and OnStar run for a few weeks past their end point and then stop.