Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW GOLF GTI

1111213141517»

Comments

• I'm waiting for the 1.8t engine to be put in the Golf/GTI next spring. Question is, what is the difference between a GTI with the 1.8t engine and a regular Golf GLS with the same engine? Is the suspension different? Internal styling? In other words, why pay more for the GTI version with the same engine? Any thoughts appreciated...
  • kubbokubbo Posts: 7
    Bought a 2000 Golf GTI GLX in August. And I really like this car. It is a fun to drive car. The only problem (although pretty small) I have with it is a vibrating shifter in 3rd and 4th gear. I returned to the dealer with it but all they could do was tightening something inside the shifter so you wouldn't feel the vibrations anymore (so not taking it away). Well that only helped a little bit. It is still vibrating. Are there more owners with the same problem?

Oh, by the way, buying a Jetta is no substitute at all. It looks like shi.... Once you have fallen in love with the Golf GTI VR6 there is no substitute at all. Not even the 1.8T, although it is fast, but not faster than the VR6. And just think about this: the 1.8T is a small blown (turbo) engine allmost at it's top. The VR6 is just a (bigger) standard engine. Wait till this one is blown ....... He, and the 204 HP, 4WD VR6 may have more power but is absolutely not faster under normal conditions.

Kubbo
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    Kind of a flawed argument there. The VR6 isn't blown. And slapping turbo's on non turbo car's isn't always the funnest pastime in the world. Nor the cheapest. It's like the Ford guys telling the Chevy guys that their Mustang would be faster if it had the 1.1 more liters that the Chevy has. Well, it doesn't, so you can't really use it as an arguing point. And yeah, the VR6 is faster in stock trim, but. And this is a big big but, take $1000 and throw it at both engines. For a grand on the 1.8T you can get the ECU reprogrammed, exhaust, and your choice of cold air type intake. Thats gonna put you over or around 200 HP. For the VR6 you could get exhaust and intake (Although ive heard neither do a *whole* lot for the VR6) and a chip, but even if you get the same power increase from the exhaust and intake, the chip ain't going to do much. Best case scenario, you end up with the same amount of power as the 1.8T, but the 1.8T cost less to begin with, weighs less, and has a better weight bias. And Peter, I'm not sure where you live, but I live in the US and I seriously doubt they'll be putting the 1.8T in anything other than the GTI here.
  • I've had the 4th gear vibration as well. Your dealer is giving you a line. If you scroll back through this site, someone offers a URL from VW service that addresses the problem - download the 4 pages, print them, then hand them to your dealer! Or tell the dealer to go through recent service bulletins. My shifter vibrates a little, but it should not vibrate at all. I'll be taking it in soon.
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    There's a Technical Service Bulletin on this. You can find all the VW and Audi TSBs on line at:

http://tech.vw.com/

Jared
    You're right that 0-60 of the 204 hp AWD is no faster than that of the 174 hp FWD GTI GLX. But acceleration is only one factor.

What I'm interested in are the other affects -- better handling, no torque steer, better ride (due to fully-independent rear suspension), and all-wheel-drive traction.

Yes, you can chip the 1.8T and boost the HP. You can replace the Turbo and exhaust (that's going to cost some bucks) and you'll get well over 200 hp. But the problem is that 250 hp and FWD do not mix. Your acceleration doesn't improve that much -- you just wear out your tires faster ;-)

The problem with FWD is that the weight transfer during acceleration reduces your traction. Add in the torque steer affects and things get kinda exciting.

I'm not saying that the 1.8T isn't a good idea. It is, definately. It's much better than the 2.0. Some may prefer it to the VR6, but not me. To each his own...

Jared
  • Kubbo, I have had a 2000 GTI VR6 since september and I experienced the shifter vibration in 3rd and 4th gear. I took it back to the dealer twice but the vibration is still there. I sincerely beleive that this is a design flaw. I am going to take it back for the 3rd time and if the problem is not resolved I might consider suing the manufacturer. After all, you can't pay close to 23,000 dollars for a defective product. Could all the people that own a 2000 GTI GLX that are having this problem please contact me: my email address is
    lartistej@hotmail.com
    There's a TSB on this issue, see http://http://tech.vw.com/

the dealer should be able to fix this. Try going to a different dealer.
  • kevinckevinc Posts: 51
    ... is quite good with the Bilstein/H&R combo + 17" wheels/tires. Only the very worst roads will even cause anyone to notice that the suspension has been upgraded from stock. Very comfortable setup IMHO.

As for you guys talking about the shifter problem, yes the right thing to do with a lame dealer is PRINT OUT the TSB about the problem (from tech.vw.com) and shove it in their faces. If they still won't play ball, call the regional service rep and get him involved. This problem has been around several years with the cable shifters, back to the Mk3 models. I REALLY wish VW would do away with the damn things, it's one of the weakest items in the car, and totally unnecessary. Hell my '86.5 Scirocco shifts MUCH better than ANY cable-shifted VW, and it's 13 years old. Lame, lame, LAME!!

-kc-
  • ejsejs Posts: 36
    Used the seat-warmer last night for the first time... It works well! Turned it up to 6 and very quickly it was almost uncomfortably warm. Turned it down to 2 and drove on toastily. Forgot to turn it off again, so this morning I was surprised by it on the way to work.

I would never have chosen this option, but I'm glad I could use it at least once. It's not often that I notice my butt feeling cold.
  • I also would never have paid separately for the seat warmer, but that was just lack of imagination. It's a SAFETY FEATURE.

You can drive with a colder air cabin temperature, warming your body via the seat, and thus stay awake and alert better, driving at night. Hot, dry air always kills my eyes, first to go when I'm tired.
    Well, there you go. And here I was thinking it was a luxury.
  • dhicksdhicks Posts: 14
    Up here, heated seats are necessary. When it is -20 degrees in January, leather seats are as hard and cold as stone when you jump in for your morning commute. If only they offered a heated steering wheel as an option like Volvo does...

Dave
    2000 GTi GLX
  • I see that a number of posts back, there was much discussion of availability. Here's an update, for within 20 miles of NYC.

Last week, I used VW's web site to list every dealer within 20 miles, and spent an hour calling every one to ask if they had a GTI GLX on the lot they could sell me. Of 17 dealers, a total of 4 reported 6 GTI's on the premises. All but 2 were sold. One of the 2 was in a showroom, couldn't be test driven. I test drove and bought the other. It had only been on its lot overnight, and several other people were calling to buy it as I closed; I found it by about an hour's margin. I paid MSRP; the phone consensus seemed no one was going over or under. If you can bargain under, all the more power to you. All a dealer here has to do is wait a day. Many dealers had several deposits waiting on GTI's.

I learned from several dealers that VW has been telling them not to expect any more until February, don't even write orders! So I caught the tail end of the supply, before a drought.

======

Awesome car. This was a 48 hour impulse buy, after my '86 Mazda 626 Turbo tanked for good, and after I was impressed enough with a new rental bug (except for engine and shape) to want best, most practical driver's car VW made. This is it. I was very lucky to find one.

I have "cosmic green." That's what was available. People have trouble imagining a green sports car, but I like it. My family always had green VW's. It turns out my mom specified "anything but green" for her '62 bug, and the factory shipped green.

Considerations:

* This is the best driving car VW makes. Fastest. Best brakes, suspension, not softened for US tastes as much as Jetta or Passat, and lighter.
    On a good road, cruising at night at 75 or 80 with the tach under 30, you feel more like you're in a plane than a car. Through the quiet cabin and clean stereo you can hear the engine whine of each car passing you by pushing their machines much closer to the brink. Like the best fighter on the block, you don't need to show them up, they haven't a clue. You'll live to collect retirement. This is the definition of safety.

* I'm sure I would have hated myself the first time I tried to fit an object through the sphincter between the trunk and back seats of a Passat or Jetta, and it didn't fit. A sedan is a conventional shape, but not a logical one. And an AWD station wagen is not a sports car, no matter what engine you put in.

* Try sitting in the back seat of a Jetta, then a Golf. The flat roof of a Golf means more headroom. The GTI has belts and headrests for 5. This is such a rare event, I don't mind having only two doors.
  • gspecgspec Posts: 3
    I'm seriously considering the 2k GTI GLX and
    wondering if you or someone could tell me of any
    problems/gripes you know of? I understand that the shifter can seem vague, but can it be fixed w/ an aftermarket shift kit? I'm sure at least the long throws can be reduced. Can someone also expand on the GTI's soft suspension? Does it dive, roll, etc.?? Can it be fixed w/ an
    aftermarket spring/strut? If there is anything
    else anybody can add, Pros/Cons, whatever, I would much appreciate it!

-gene
    I don't know about any fixes for the shifter. The throws are a bit long, and it does tend to crunch a bit. It doesn't like to be hurried. I don't mind it, but it isn't a Honda shifter and I doubt you'll be able to make it one. There is a short-throw kit available, but I doubt that will change the feel much.

Yes, the suspension is too soft. I don't mind the roll as much as I mind the dive under braking. It will stick in the corners to much higher limits than I'm willing to reach on the street. But I would like it to be stiffer. This is easy to fix, with stiffer struts and springs. Bilstein and Koni seem to be favored for struts. Several manufacturers make springs, including H&R, Eibach, etc. People who want the stupid so-cal, boy-racer, slammed look tend to go for coil-overs (expensive). I haven't changed mine out yet, but may do so in the future. Providing you don't get coil-overs, you can do struts and springs for less than $1000 (well below, actually).

But you really need to drive the car for yourself to see whether you like or not.
  • pipopipo Posts: 36
    I'm no expert, but everything I've read and heard suggests that you should do things in steps. Get to know your car, strengths and weaknesses, then do mods gradually.

When I first got my new GTI, I was so smitten with it that I didn't notice any weaknesses. It has become clear to me that the engine can get ahead of the suspension's ability to handle it. So I would recommend (and am planning same) suspension mods first, namely springs and shocks and, probably most important, PERFORMANCE TIRES.

It seems that Bilstein and Koni are the leaders for shocks, while H&R comes up most often on various postings in the spring department.

After I replace the shocks, springs and tires, I will drive the car for a while, get a good feel for what it's doing, and then decide whether any more roll resistance is needed, keeping in mind that adding sway bars can radically affect understeer/oversteer tendencies. Some tuners recommend only replacing the rear bar, and leaving the front bar alone or even disconnecting it. Beware of putting too much of a bar up front.

I have heard good things about the Neuspeed and Autotech front strut tie bars.

Just like you wouldn't fix your [non-permissible content removed], mammaries and face all at once, do your car in steps. How's that for a lousy (but vivid) analogy?!
    Congratulations on the GTI! Cosmic green may not be a typical sports car color, but like you your post says, the GTI is not a typical sports car.

Just one thing-- "And an AWD station wagon is not a sports car, no matter what engine you put in." Well, that Audi RS4 is darn close.
  • For street use the stock 00 GTI GLX is an awesome, very practical luxury sports car, a steal at its price. It has more engine than the rest of the car can handle (carefully consider the phrase "rocket sled") so it needs to be driven with care.

That said, the first "issues" a new buyer (such as myself) will come to realize are:

* The soft suspension and body roll feel like the limiting factor in tight curves. The closest to performance driving a typical consumer might come is taking the GTI 20 over speed limit on an empty, winding parkway at night (an unlikely scenario during your test drive). The GTI gives no hint of actual trouble handling this, a professional driver would probably be seriously bored, you'll be passed by other (expensive) cars that look like they're on cruise control with the driver asleep, but the GTI body roll will give you the disconcerting feeling you're about to be wrapped around a tree. Other sports cars don't behave like this. Serious GTI drivers ALL seem to go for suspension mods, and I can see why. But I'll stick to stock suspension, for NYC potholes, and because no one has any business driving like this except with proper training in a controlled environment.

* You're going to lose your $400+ in the supplied tires. Once you put out for the best studded snows for winter (e.g. Gislaved Nordfrost 2), you'll realize what a compromise the Eagle RS-A all-season tires make for emergency wet summer handling, and you'll spring for summer performance tires, too. Elsewhere is chronicled in detail why VW switched to these, when wuss U.S. consumers couldn't deal with tire wear.

* The Monsoon audio will only please you if you've never heard a $1,500 3rd party system. And it's too integrated to easily upgrade in stages.

That said, I absolutely love the GTI, and for the money I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
  • kevinckevinc Posts: 51
    ... from a 4-time GTI owner. Yep the car is way too soft, the stock tires are horrible (either the Goodyears or the Michelins - both grocery-getter tires) and yes the cable shifter is vague as hell.
    I first ditched my tires and wheels, then did the suspension (Bilstein Sports, H&R Sport lowering springs). Neuspeed already makes a short-shift kit but it's pricey as the entire shifter box is replaced. At least it's not as labor-intensive as on the Mk3's, it's now done from inside the car (on the Mk3's you had to get under it and drop the exhaust to install the short-shift kit). I had one in my '97, and while it helped a lot, it still felt like a crappy cable shifter. I *really* wish VW would put some engineering effort into eliminating cable shifters forever.. it's a horrible design, period.

The main problem being reported is window regulators are failing at an ALARMING rate. They were lousy in the Mk3's, but this is a new part in the Mk4 and they're apparently even worse. One VWoA rep told someone that "heads were rolling" over the problem. The part has been on national backorder and I've read stories from several owners of their cars being parked for weeks at a time waiting for the new part..

That said - it's an awesome car. Upgraded tires are the #1 necessity IMHO. Suspension tweaks are nice but not necessary for many.. the tires alone will help tremendously.

-kc-
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/1780
  • dflordflor Posts: 4
    i own a gti vr6 99 (tropical orange) and i also
    had a problem with the passenger window getting stuck in the down position. it took 2 weeks for the regulator to come in , i got a loaner but havent had any other problems since. i really love
    my gti.
    df
  • Any new info re: VWVortex's intimation that the 204hp 24 valve 6sp 4Motion MAY come to the US in 2001? I reeeeally want a GTI, want to wait but not forever. Also thought about leasing a 12v GTI until the 4Motion comes here -- question is, will it ever? Such a sweet car!

Rob (tired of my 4Runner)
    Rob:

I wouldn't hold your breath. VWOA said that the AWD Passat Wagon would be imported for the 1999 model year. It was included in their brochures and they provided cars for the auto rags to test. It never showed up. Now they are saying Q1 or Q2 2000. I'll believe it when it shows up on the dealer lots.

In contrast, VWOA has said that there are no current plans to import the 4WD GTI. I would love to have one, but I wouldn't count on it. Which is why I went ahead and purchased an '00 GTI GLX.

Jared
  • LackeyLackey Posts: 24
    KevinC- How does your GTI looks with the new shocks and struts? How much did it lower the car? Have any picture? The reason I ask is that if I buy a GTI, this is definately something I want to do. I just find "slammed" cars to be unattractive.
  • Just read an article in car & driver (most recent edition) that pegged the gti glx 0-60 at 7.7. Every where else I've read, it does it in 6.8. Which is right? Who should I believe? A second difference is a big deal, no? Car & driver article went on to rank the gti glx 5th out of 6 cars for best sport coupes under $25,000. Needless to say, the article wasn't very encouraging. But I still want to believe the gti glx is a great car and the folks at car & driver don't know what they're talking about. Should I??
  • I like Car and Driver, but they made a mistake with the GTI's speed. In fact, in a previous edition, they clocked the GTI at 6.9 0-60. As an owner, I know the latter is true - trust me on that one. That gives it the same speed as the Prelude, a car I love to push out of the fast lane when I'm bombing down the interstate.

Apart from the 0-60 typo (let's be generous to their testers) these comparisons aren't always what they're cracked up to be. For starters, you can't realistically purchase a decently equipped Prelude for under $25,000 and it's still a 4-banger. For over $4,000 more, I'd want better handling too!

Otherwise, they're correct in their assessment that it's probably not the best-handling of the bunch, although if you scroll through this chat room, plenty of enthusiasts have found ways to improve the handling dramatically - some just by changing wheels and tires. The testers likened the stock suspension to the Passats - a car they raved about in another recent comparison test. Go figure.

Overall, I'm happy with my car's performance around corners and curvy roads, but I'm not one to push it constantly. A relatively tall hatchback that actually seats four people is not going to handle as well as a low slung car that only seats two and barely has room for the shopping.

The Car and Driver testers didn't like the shifter either - I've gotten used to it.

If the testers had been looking for the car with the best engine, the best package of gizmos, the most practicality, the best speed, the most comfort, the quietest ride, and the most fun for the dollar, then the GTI GLX would have come first.

But the only way to judge the cars in the comparison test is to drive them yourself. I think you'll find that you have the most fun in the GTI.
  • The Dec '99 Car and Driver article quite fairly nailed the GTI GLX, 0-60 specs aside. It is required reading for anyone considering buying one.

The GTI GLX could have been an ideal sports car in its class, but is in fact optimized to melt away highway miles. They praise its "smooth as Lido's olive oil" engine, "no car here is quieter at idle, at wide-open throttle, or at a 70-mph cruise" (substitute your favorite mph). They praise its assembly as "nearly Benz-like."

I needed a two-seater for road trips, that could handle lots of people and cargo in a pinch. I needed to believe I was buying a sports car, because I'm the one making the damn payments. In fact, I primarily needed a car to melt away highway miles. BINGO: the GTI GLX.

Potential buyers relying on the web for insights: Recognize that the alpha males in all discussions like this are seriously modding their cars, to free the potential sports car lurking within. They warmly welcome potential buyers just passing through; they know they are living out your dreams. Nearly all of them may live to retirement. Even Car and Driver has to give numerical supremacy to the best kick-[non-permissible content removed] ride in the bunch, stock off the showroom floor, unfair comparisons aside. Between the lines C&D may be saying the GTI GLX is the ideal car for you. It is certainly the ideal car for me.
    I wouldn't count on the 4Motion GTI coming anytime soon. Plus, IF and when it does come to the US, you're looking at a machine that will run you at LEAST $27k. For a little more you're already in the $30k price category.
    Just remember that the following runner ups for that comparison are only a couple points off from the prelude. The small variance of the GTI's 0-60 numbers could have easily bumped it up a couple places up. Why did Car and Driver use such an abnormally low number?? Could be a lot of reasons... maybe the test car they used was abnormally slow, there could have been some bias as most of the C&D staff love hondas/acuras, etc...
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, you may be aware that we generally cap discussions with more than the 500 messages. It helps to keep the software happy. Please feel to create a new VW Golf GTI topic if you wish, or take a look at the other Golf topics and see if they can accommodate you as well.

carlady/host
This discussion has been closed.