Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sequoia Options

frankenfishfrankenfish Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Looking to purchase a 2008 Limited or Platinum soon and am weighing the options to get. Can anyone reccomend the following:
1. Rear entertainment system. I need one badly for the kids. Should I go with the Toyota 10" or am I better off going aftermarket for a better one? Also can my wife see in the rear view mirror with it down?
2. Options I know I want are 2nd row captains chairs, navigaion/rear camera, XM radio, moonroof.
3. Options I think I want are interior light kit, daytime running lights, power rear door, mats and cargo net?
4. Options I don't think I want are cold weather kit (live in GA), load leveling suspension, rear spoiler.
5. Not sure about 20" wheels.

Any opinions on what I have above would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    popperpopper Member Posts: 41
    Bought a Plat. w/ everything but laser cruise plus a factory option not listed anywhere (includes burl wood trim and glass breakage sensor).

Frankly, that option is the only reason we ended up with the Sequoia because I disliked the standard dash appearance so much. Really never been a big wood trim kinda guy but it transforms the interior of the this vehicle.

Love everything about this truck except Nav system....hate it...total crap. I've been spoiled by Acura nav. This nav is NOT user friendly and NOT intuitive. Unfortunately, it comes standard with the trim I wanted.

As for the other items you mention, here's my opinion (take it for what it's worth):

Entertainment- kids like it. I like it because it's integrated into the car BUT it does partially block my rear view unlike in other vehicles I've driven with entertainment system.

Rear camera- almost a necessity...just have to live with that ^%$& nav system.

Power rear door- Total gimick

Cooled seats- VERY nice here in OK
  • Options
    frankenfishfrankenfish Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info Popper, I too prefer the look of the wood dash in the vehicle. I am looking at a fully loaded Limited with retail around $54,500. Hope to get it around $43,000-$44,000. Really disappointed to hear everyone say the navigation is worthless. Hopefully they will come out with a better revised program that can be downloaded to the existing unit. I really need it for the backup camera though. I could get one without the nav but I would have to go through the trouble of installing something that would work in place of it with a backup camera?
  • Options
    warwickmonwarwickmon Member Posts: 27

Looking to purchase a 2008 Limited or Platinum soon and am weighing the options to get. Can anyone recommend the following:
    1. Rear entertainment system. I need one badly for the kids. Should I go with the Toyota 10" or am I better off going aftermarket for a better one? Also can my wife see in the rear view mirror with it down?
    2. Options I know I want are 2nd row captains chairs, navigation/rear camera, XM radio, moonroof.
    3. Options I think I want are interior light kit, daytime running lights, power rear door, mats and cargo net?
    4. Options I don't think I want are cold weather kit (live in GA), load leveling suspension, rear spoiler.
    5. Not sure about 20" wheels.

The worst part of the navigation is that most functions shut down when the car is moving. Same with the Bluetooth phone functions. I was so psyched to be able to download my phone book from my cell phone and have it all i9ntegrated. Too bad I can't look up a number while moving. How ridiculous is that. I did find you can save a number to speed dial and access it that way. The navigation is not user friendly and the manual is not accurate. Hopefully if I spend a lot of time on it (which I don't have) I will make it functional.

I have the rear DVD system. It is nice but you can definitely see it in the rear view mirror. Doesn't cover completely but still there. It is nice to be able to control it from the front and it has a remote. The wireless head phones work very well. You might consider foregoing it for the price. You can get after market systems that go into the headrests that look pretty good, will cost less, and won't block your view. Plus they have individual DVD players so each kid could watch something different. As if they weren't spoiled enough. Most also have wireless transmitters and FM modulation which can play through your car stereo as well. I am looking into getting monitors installed in each head rests (no DVD player), connect a video splitter on the overhead DVD player, and run it to each one. That way I have all the control all ready from the built in system, no rear view blockage (if I want that one up), better view for the kids, and most importantly, more glorious unnecessary excess to help the economy.

The built in nav system comes XM ready. That means you don't have it but if you get it, it will be integrated. Due to some disagreement with my dealer, they have offered to put the XM in with no labor cost. That is stil $350. You can get an aftermarket system < $100 but I haven't made up my mind on that.

Gotta go with moonroof.

Captains chairs are nice but the massive console in between is debateable. A bench seat would have probably been better for me but I am OK with it.

I don't know what is interior light kit.

Cold kit is a must. A bigger battery and better starter. I recommend that no matter where you live.

Mats and cargo nets and other interior fluff you should not get. You can get all that (even genuine Toyota) for much cheaper on line after the fact.

20" wheels are sweet. You sit up higher and they are useful for crunching mini-Coopers. They look nicer than the 18"ers but that is personal opinion.

The heated front seats rock. But the blowers on the front for the heating system are very weak. So weak that I am having them checked out. If this is really how strong they get, I will be pissed.

Good luck!

W
This discussion has been closed.