Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura Integra

Comments

• I definitely agree with you, We used to have an older legend and now we have a '99 5-spd. manual Integra. As much as I like the rush of driving our little car, the engine noise does bother me. My hubby doesn't seem to mind, he just cranks up the music. I noticed that putting the shifter to 1st gear is hard when the weather's cold. It has 13k miles on it and I never had a stickshift before but this doesn't seem normal to me. Does anyone else have experienced this? Thanks for reading.
  • only1harryonly1harry Posts: 1,136
    I have a '99 Integra w/9K mi. and I think what you describe is normal. I wouldn't say it's hard to put it in 1st when cold, just not as smooth as when warm?
    I don't know which Integra you have but I have the GSR which is even noisier than the LS or GS and redlines at 8000rpm. I don't mind it around town but on the highway when I 'm crusing at 75-80 I do have to put the radio up but it doesn't really bother me. Sometimes when I hit 100+mph that's when it gets really loud!
    A lot of it is tire noise too. On new smooth black top roads it's actually almost quite. On the old asphalt highways though it's twice as noisy.. but fun to drive!
  • litvaklitvak Posts: 1
    Hello, I am soon to be 18 years old and graduating from High School. Currently i am driving a 92 geo prizm(i got when i turned 16). I really don't like the geo, extremly slow(102 hp) and the handling is horible. also the reliability is not the best. anyways, i am thinking of getting a new sports coupe for my graduation. I want a HONDA, so the only car i could think of was the integra GSR. I was thinking that I could probably get one(94 gsr 5spd) for about 8000 with around 80k, my friends father has a dealer auction permit to buy cars, they are cheaper there. Would this be a good move ? I will probably have to take a load for about 4k though... I mainly want the gsr for its power/handling/reliability. Any feedback would be awsome! thanks.
    good choice. It's fun to drive, has decent handling (get better tires!) and it reliable.
    It does require PREMIUM gas though and gasoline prices are the highest they 've ever been.
  • I am going to buy a new integra and want to buy the GSR, but hate manual and want an automatic. However i noticed that the 2000 GSRs dont come in auto. Will they make a auto in the future?
    As to my second question. I know little about cars and engines and whatnot but i wanted to know how much (or if i can at all) upgrade the integra engine to a 6 cylinder. If so how much would it cost? Thanks.
  • Don't buy an automatic. GSRs are sports cars and automatic transmissions rob the car of power and they're no where near as much fun to drive! I'd learn to drive stick on someone's old junker, where damage to transmission isn't a big deal. The only reason to drive automatic cars is if you're (A) a senior citizen in a Buick Century and find it inconvenient to shift or (B) like to eat in the car while you're driving, in which case you shouldn't be going fast anyway.

Trying to fit a V6 into an integra would basically be a waste of time and money in my opinion. Honda only makes a handful of V6s, one for newer Accords, one for the Legends, and one for the NSX (As far as I know). I doubt that you could fit a V6 in an Integra and if you could it would coast several thousand dollars (I would guess at least 5K).

If you want more power I think you'd be better off with a Turbo or Supercharger with some additional bolt-on parts like a cold air intake, header and performance exhaust. There's no shortage of those on the market for that 94+ Integras, that's for sure. Otherwise you could get a 2000 Integra Type R which has about 195 hp and only costs about $25K. That only has a 4 banger but it's more than a little quick. I used to think that more cylinders meant more speed but with Honda's engine tuning ability it seems 4 cylinders are gaining a little respect on the road and track. Good luck!

Ben
    I 've never heard of anyone doing that and I think you 'll have a hek of a time fitting a V6 in there. The GSR is plenty quick and it deserves a 5-sp, not auto. Why would you want to replace one of the most high tech VTEC engines around? Look at the Celica GT-S that comes with auto as an option. It's a lot slower than the 6-sp. version..
    These cars need a manual tranny because they 're 4cyl. and don't have much low end torque. If it's an auto you seek look elsewhere or at the Integra LS with 140hp. You can always look at V6 autos although the GSR will still be faster than most of them, if it's performance you 're looking for.
  • I have a cypress green pearl automatic '97 Integra. It has about 35,000 MI on it with no problems at all. Before that I had a '94, also with excellent reliability. I love these cars! Even with the automatic, it still has lots of power. Anyone interested in purchasing my '97, e'mail me (mickapoo@hotmail.com)
  • anyone heard anything of the new totally redesign integra? perhaps the 2001 model even? if so please let me know
  • rascal8rascal8 Posts: 54
    Post #179 has a link to the (supposedly) new Integra for 2001. I am sure Honda/Acura will do a great job with the engine and performance, however; IMHO this design is butt ugly. It looks too conservative and they stuck with the same headlight design as the current Prelude, which a lot of people don't like. Although, I remember when the current model Civic was released some criticized the design, the headlights especially, but the car still sold well. What do you all thing of this design ?
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    I actually posted that but I don't have any faith in the speculation. If anyone has accurate info, please let us know. Thanks.
  • I have a 1999 GS-R and although I love its handling characteristics I am still a bit disappointed in its acceleration. Is the 2000 Type R noticeably quicker or should I wait until the 2001 GS-R and/or Type R's come out? (Assuming the rumours of significant horse power increases to both.)
    This came from autoweek or automobile magazine and many other sources.
    Looks like there is going to be only 1 Integra for '01. It will have a 2.0L 217hp engine and will be the Type-R but may not have the "R" name.
    It will just be called Integra but will have all the Type-R trimmings, suspension, brakes, exhaust, etc. It will be a true sports car.
    www.vtec.net also said the new Integra will have 220hp so 217 is most likely it.
    It also looks like that picture of the '01 Integra is it! Because the magazines spoke of the Prelude lights, etc.
    BTW, there will be no more Prelude but there will be a new sporty Accord Coupe to take its place.
    The sad things is that they said the new '01 Integra will not be available till 3/01!
    It's going to be a hek of a machine though and will kick Celica butt. I just hope they keep the price reasonable and make it affordable. The current Type-R stickers for $24.8K. If they go higher than $25K I don't believe they 're going to seel too many of them.
    There will also be NO MORE 4dr Integras according to this article. It's too bad they 're not making a lesser Integra with 150hp or so or a GSR in between with like 190hp to compete directly with the Celica GT-S. I guess they just wanted to blow the doors off anything out there that costs $30K or less. They 're showing no mercy :) It's estimated that this new Integra will do 0-60 in just over 6 sec. and 1/4 mi. will be in the low to mid 14's!
  • david6david6 Posts: 75
    Does anyone here know a good place to get cheaper Acura parts for my '93 Integra Hatchback? integra.vtec.net is down, so no help there, and I can't find the number for the California dealer I've gotten discounted parts from in the past (discovered in the back of Autoweek). One of my headlights died, and I'm not paying my dealer to replace it! So, I want to save money on the part, too. Any help appreciated.
  • dav50dav50 Posts: 6
    I am just about to buy a 93 Integra RS (base model) with 147K. The car seems to be in very good condition looks-wise. My car-freak friend checked it out and said it had had no accidents (front or rear) and has a healthy engine. It's black/black and looks well taken care of. It drives nicely and has a recent "pass" smog test. But :

1- It makes this tick-tick sound in the back (not too loud) when I brake and the same sound (from the back) when I turn left at about 40-50 mph.

2- The odometer wire makes a fit-fit-fit sound when the car's cold (New England winters !).

3- It has a slight leak around the sunroof that wets the upholstry on the roof when it rains.

4- Antenna mast is broken.

5- Otherwise looks and runs well and quite peppy compared to the brand new ones I have driven.

Now, considering the price ( $3700 which is about the KBB trade-in value, and I am NOT trading in but buying it from an owner) and considering the estimate to take care of the above problems (which I am absolutely clueless about !!), is this car worth the money?

Please help me out. Thanks for your help friends.

Dave
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Dave, have you had a chance to use our Used Car pricing for the Integra? If not, go to the homepage, click on Used Cars, click on Acura, click on 1993, then click on Integra. It allows you to take into consideration mileage and the features on car you are considering.

Without casting aspersions on your car-freak friend, I'd invest some bucks and have a mechanic look over the car for you. Ask your questions about the noises, etc. and find out if anything is really a problem. You may also want to do a VIN check to discover the history on this car.

Also, ask to review all of the service records. IMHO, if the person does not provide service records, do not buy a used car from him.

This way you won't have to worry about being "clueless." ;-)

What do others think?

carlady/host
    The suroof leak would bother me and I probably wouldn't buy the car just for that reason. The RS models did not come with a sunroof so this is probably an aftermarket sunroof which is why it's leaking (not that factory ones don't leak).
    The speedo noise you hear is normal. The rear noise could be wheel bearings or some kind of suspension problem or just a cracked bushing..
    $3700 I assume is for a car in really good shape. I wouldn't pay more than $3K for this one. Considering it's 7yrs old, the body will start rusting in another year or so since you 're in New England and it's been through bad winters.
    Is it a 5-sp or auto? If it's a stick you have to consider the cost of a new clutch in the near future as well.
    147K is really not a lot miles for an Integra engine (depending how it was driven..) and I 'm sure this will probably last well into the 200K's (before the head gasket goes - can be replaced for about $500) but it's the other stuff around the engine that goes..
    Next major maintenance item around 150-160K mi. is a timing belt ($250-400 depending if they replace the water pump or not at the same time).
    The owner of this car has already changed the timing belt at around 60-80K mi. Make sure he has, ask for receipts! Timing belt usually goes between 70-95K miles. If it brakes you can have bent valves and head problems that could cost you up to $1500 to fix! That's why you must replace it before it goes.
    These are some things for you to think about. Basically what I 'm trying to say is that you have enough money for some maintenance & repairs on top of fixing the sunroof and the other noise.
    Another advice from me would be to ignore little noises because a car with that many miles on it develops noises every couple of months as the body and other things loosen up. What you should watch out for is major clunking, banging, metal scraping, etc. Little rattles and slight ticking, is usually normal and I wouldn't go crazy over them. You will have a lot more than one or two as the mileage gets higher..
  • My above post should have read, 'I will drive the car harder than the former owner',,, so handling
    (performance) is important,, as is longevity.
    thanks again,,,
    Do not buy the same Michelins again. They really suck and every GSR owner will tell you this.
    See if you can find the Dunlop SP8000 in 205-50.
    They 're supposed to be discontinued any day now.
    You will not get good longevity if high/ultra performance tires. There must be a compromise. The Michelins do just that, last a long time but perform poorly in dry & wet. I think in the wet it is the worst tire I 've owned.
    I have Dunlop D60-A2 HR rated tires on my Civic and like them a lot better than the Michelin
    XGT-V4 that I have on my '99 GSR.
    You might want to go for the little more expensive Dunlop SP9000 in 205-50. BTW, no other mods are required to accomodate one size larger tire because the diameter of the 205-50 is almost identical to the factory 195-55 so the hight of the new tire is pretty much the same (it's about less than a 1mm shorter, 10mm wider and look better).
    Again, these tires are very dangerous in the rain or when the road is slightly wet, they have no traction whatsoever in the rain and the car has a lot of power so it's easy to slide and loose control. Dunlops perform excellent in the wet! Almost as good as in the dry believe it or not. They 're really amazing. Try and get a ZR rated Dunlop tire if you can, you won't regret it. The Michelin XGT-V4 don't hold a candle to the SP5000, 8000 or 9000 or even the D60.
    I used to own Dunlop D40_M2 (same as SP8000) and loved them. Couldn't even get the tires to squeal at ramps doing 80mph.
    If it doesn't snow where you live you don't need an all season tire. Get the Ultra performance SP8000 and you will get about 30K mi. of pure driving excitement with this tire.
    BTW, I just visited Tirerack.com and there are 1/2 dozen GSR owners who gave their comments about this tire. Search by brand (Dunlop), and then click on the SP8000, page down a little and you 'll see what people are saying about the tire. A lot GSR & BMW owner swear by it. A lot of good information there. Also if you read the test results the SP8000 beat the Michelin MXX3 which is almost twice the price! Don't get Michelin. You 'll be paying more for the name and get crappy performance. You can't go wrong with the very popular SP8000.
  • wgintzwgintz Posts: 22
    I second only1harry on the stock Michelin's. They are terrible tires! Not only do they have poor performance but they are way overpriced. I had to have one replaced when a nail punctured my sidewall. I can't wait to get some new tires on my 96' GS-R. Go to tirerack.com and check out your options.

Bill
  • dav50dav50 Posts: 6
    Wow, you guys are real nice! I really appreciate your putting so much time and explaining the problems to me.

1- The sunroof leak is just minimal to the extent that the upholstry around it became "damp" after a two-day rain. But, who is the person to take it to (assuming the dealer will charge an arm and a leg) to change the plastic "washer" under the glass frame?

2- I read way up there that someone had suggested a Sears electric antenna mast for $40. Is that a good option? Are there other good options?

3- How do I run the VIN check? I actually sense some fishy info regarding the car's private ownership. I would really like to know who owned this car over the past few years at least.

4- It is a standard (stick) transmission. Should I do something about the clutch now or just wait for it to go (acceleration is pretty good now)? How much am I looking at for a new clutch and service etc. ?

5- Should I replace the timing belt just to be on the safe side? How much more will I be charged at the dealer? If not the dealer, where would my second best option be?

6- The odometer noise is kinda loud in the cold mornings and continues. Will it go away if I change the spring/wire? How much am I looking at?

Again, thanks a lot folks. You are very helpful.

Thank You,
    Dave
  • Thanks only1Harry and Bill for your replys. I'm not going to get the Michelins, will instead consider other makes. 'In the wet' performance is very important to me, (It rained sheets today)
    Am going back to Tire Rack. com.
  • Well,, I did it,, ordered four SP Dunlop 8000's today,,,very excited about getting them,,, they should arrive in 3-5 business days!
    My question,, if either of you would be so kind as to respond,, Seems like I've read somewhere online that this level of tire on the gs-r NEEDS
    to be installed according to certain torque
    specifications,,, do either of you know anything about this?
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    dave50, to run a VIN check, click here. It costs $19.95 and it can help you identify flooding, odometer fraud, rental status, etc. I don't think it will give you a list of prior owners.

What did they say about maintenance records? That might give you a clue. And, if you don't mind my asking, if you actually sense some fishy info regarding the car's private ownership, why are you still interested?

carlady/host
    It's the lug nuts on the wheels that need to be torqued so you don't warp your brake rotors.
    For GSR (and most Civics) it's 80lbs per sq.inch.
    Ask the shop that's going to mount the tires to use a torque wrench and set it at 80.
    You could also buy a good torque wrench at Sears (craftsman) for like $70. They actually could be off by 1 or 2. It could be 78 or 82, it won't make much of a difference. The problem is when one lug nut is like 76 and another (lug) 88 or 90.. They should all be the same (around 80 +/- a couple of lbs..)
  • Somewhat sheepishly I turned to page 189 of the maual,, yep, there it is,, 80 lbs torque on the lug nuts,,, thanks again,,,
  • I hate to be picky but isn't torque expressed as "ft.-lbs" rather than lbs per sq. inch. (psi is a pressure rating).

OK, I feel better now...
  • I just purchased a 97 Integra, this may seem like a stupid question but here goes. What is the difference between an Integra LS and a GS? The title does not have a model on it, the keys say its a GS and on carfax the vin says it's an LS/SE..It has leather interior..All these letters are confusing. I have read on the net that the special edition for 97 is the GS...but I should know what car I'm driving hugh??? Also any comments owners might have on the 97 would be most appreciated. I've only had the car for about 3 days and I love it...I want to take care of it the best I can....thanks
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    roadroach:
    Good point, but I guess 1-foot is assumed, and it really doesn't matter unless you're using a rod to apply the torque.
    Sounds like you bought a GS but every couple of years they have an SE version as well which I believe came with leather & spoiler as standard. Not sure which one you got but I believe they 're the same. Actually I think the SE comes in white only. Is your Integra white? The GS is the most expensive Integra you can get 2nd only to the GSR (170hp engine vs. 140hp in LS, SE & GS). I hate that Acura doesn't designate the model on the car anywhere like they used to with pre-94's.
This discussion has been closed.