Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• Yeah, the FT-SX featured a sliding rear cargo traythat could assisted with (un)loading. It wasn't designed with a 3rd row in mind. The vehicle's interior is very modern, cutting edge even. It may turn the older buyers (45+) off though. I personally like it hope that it's around in 6 years when I retire my SUV.
  • Don't forget about the 2009 Dodge Journey. It seems like a SUV and Grand Caravan had a baby. It even has new storage features.

Also, somebody forgot to mention that Nissan still makes minivans too! The Quest is the best looking one out there...
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Why are we calling them "cross-overs" it's just another name for Station Wagon, without the stigma of a Station Wagon.

-mike

The term "crossover" to me originated with the Lexus RX300. It was the first(that I know of) vehicle to be designed with suv functionality that was not on a truck platform and not meant to be taken off road. So when I hear crossover I think of car like ride vs a bumpy truck.

Why are we still taking about minivans? My impression of the Venza is that has nothing to do with a minivan and is not meant to be.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Ft-sx is a concept vehicle. Not all concepts translate to real world finished product. The third row seat may make it over here may not. It probably will since it folds flat to make it a 5 seater wagon. We'll see.
    Mack
  • The venza is looking SWEET you guys. I got to see it at work because I work at Georgetown. It will be at the Detroit auto-show on the 13th. I can tell you it does indeed look similar to the Ft-sx. I liked looking at it so much I wanted to drive it home lol. You will all be surprised about the details of this car, it's high tech and amazing.
    Sounds great, but will have to wait til Monday for the press conference.
    Does it look like this:image :shades:
  • It does not look like that. It seriously looks like the concept car. It will have a 2.7L inline 4 cyl and 3.5L V-6. Six-speed auto transmission. 19" and 20" tires. FWD and optional AWD
    What concept car? Is there a photo of it?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    2.7L I4???? That's the Tacoma engine isn't it? Sure it's not the 2.4L I4?
  • kenymkenym Posts: 405
    Refer to post #26 of this thread for a pic
    No that is the Mark x Zio. See post #38 he said it didn't look like that, more like the concept car. I say What concept car?
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Tell us more about this 2.7L.... :P
  • It IS a 2.7 liter in-line 4 cylinder engine. I repeat it is a 2.7 liter in-line 4 cylinder egnine. I do not know the details of the engine. It doesn't look exactly like the concept car but it sure does look very similar. The concept car can be found here http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/ftsx.html
  • It looks similar to the concept car but it doesn't look as futuristic or like it's some sort of space age car.
  • Anyways it's going to be out in the press very soon. Production doesn't start till around Fall of 08 so you never know what details Toyota might change before then.
    Interesting, the FT-SX was tauted as the new Highlander by many before it came out.
    Hence the disappointment when the 08 HL was revealed.
    I wonder if Toyota is making this to be a Chrysler Pacifica competitor? Chrysler has dropped the Pacifica and Toyota fills the gap.
    Mack
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    thanks for the headsup mccoy1986, assuming that you still have your job ;) .

To me it looks like the original RX300 in size and body style, except the grill. It would seem to fit those who didn't like the growth in the Gen2 Highlander. But it has a few interesting characteristics that neither of the HLs have had. The 2.7L is a surprise to me. I wonder if it't the Taco engine dropped in here or if it's a new development of the 2AZ used everywhere else as the 2.4L.

Avalon platform
    19" and 20" wheels. Hmmmm
    6 spd sequential transmission. Hmmmm

Normal options and goodies. No hybrid version ( blah ).
    Suspension/Handling?

It appears to be a 'sporty' version of the outgoing Highlander. With the right suspension it might be a hoot to drive. But it seems directed to empty-nesters and young families. I hear that 75,000 units is the first full year goal.
    Like the Mark Zio that I posted a few months back. I also said the front would be different and some of the back. The 2.7l will probably be the one in the Tacoma, who knows. I don't believe for one minute what Toyota said about this vehicle being developed and designed in the US looks very Japanese to me. :) Looks like another homerun for Toyota. Finally a Camry wagon.
    Mackimage

link title
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,693
    that its roof will be lower than the Highlander's?

Looks nice (nicer than Highlander definitely), although 19- and 20-inch rims seem a bit much on a people mover.

Seems like it could make decent mileage with the 4-cyl engine, although on the Avalon platform it must be fairly large - hopefully they have kept the weight down?

4-cylinder Tacoma XtraCabs are peppy to drive in town, because the engine is big enough to have very good torque, even if it is 4-cylinder. I would imagine Venza might weigh about the same (3400ish pounds).

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Venza Height: 63.4
    Highlander Height: 69.3 (68.1 for Base model only, w/o roof rails)

The press-release says the 2.7L is all new, so I think it is doubtful that it is the 2.7L from the Taco, which I wouldn't call particularly efficient or powerful (which are the words mentioned in the press-release). That engine - in Tacoma form - also only meets LEV-II requirements, not the much more stringent ULEV-II requirements, and I find it difficult that Toyota would intro the Venza w/o at least hitting ULEV-II if not PZEV.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    I think the Venza looks great, and they'll sell a lot of them, especially if they offer all of the features of an Avalon on it. However, this trend to larger and larger wheels has got to stop soon, doesn't it?
  • Hmmm - Looks like Mr. Toyoda took a Chrysler Pacifica for a test drive to Kentucky. The "Pacific" part of the name takes on a new meaning,
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Posts: 619
    How convenient that Toyota brings out the Venza just as Chrysler stops making the Pacifica! I'll bet that the Venza sells a lot better than the Pacifica.
    The Pacifica was a much larger gas guzzler. The Venza will only do well if the fuel economy is good of which we don't know anything yet.
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    I would imagine the economy would be about the same as the Highlander, if not slightly better, since it's the same engine, probably less weight, and a six speed tranny. Of course, the 4-cyl. should be even better. It can't be the Tacoma engine if it's all-new, and that's a truck motor anyway. Toyota doesn't mix front and rear drive engines very much.
    Looking at the pics of the interior this is a Camry wagon all the way. The seats are identical to the ones in the Camry. Take a look:

Sweet looking wagon.
    :shades:

Camry: