Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    is basically going to be Toyota's idea of a Camry wagon, much the way the Matrix is the Corolla wagon, right? Or you could call it a Camry hatchback, since it has such a rounded-off rear end that will substantially reduce cargo space.

People who have missed the Camry wagon from the 90s will be pleased, I'm sure. The Highlander is too high off the ground, worsening handling and reducing fuel economy vs a lower-to-the-ground wagon.

And maybe this will spur Honda to bring back the Accord wagon! Wouldn't that be nice? :-)

Personally, I dislike when Toyota uses model names that sound Italian - they just sound silly. If they are not going to use something Japanese (Camry, Corolla, etc) at least use something English for goodness sake!

I hope they don't make it V-6 only: it would be nice if it also had the 4-cyl and hybrid powertrains from the Camry sedan.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Append these two discussions?

kdhspyder, "The new Toyota Crossover/Wagon ... the FTSX concept" #1, 3 Oct 2007 10:28 pm

I'd guess that the Venza no matter the nomenclature will be a Camry Wagon beginning at about $25000 for a 2.4L ICE LE trim. Since it's at Georgetown and on the Camry platform it should follow the Camry pricing structure including a hybrid option based on the 2.4L.

Standard 2.4L trim........ $25000
    Upgraded 2.4L trim....... $27000
    Standard hybrid trim..... $28000
    Top 2.4L trim............... $30000
    Upgraded hybrid trim.... $32000
    Top 3.5L trim............... $33000

Options and accessories like the Camry,
    JBL + BT
    Navi
    RES

Now it makes sense to my why they dropped the 2.4L Highlander and jacked the price up to start at ~$32000. They needed to make room for this model.

Now there is a full lineup of crossovers beginning at $22000 to catch all the 'drop-offs' who will be dumping their SUVs as fuel goes up toward $6 or $8 a gallon.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    If the Venza is said to be a crossover sedan, why are people speculating it will be akin to a Camry wagon?

IMO, sedan does not equal wagon.

I'm thinking something more like the discontinued Subie OB sedan, which had a trunk. Hence, SEDAN.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Why are we calling them "cross-overs" it's just another name for Station Wagon, without the stigma of a Station Wagon. :)

-mike
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    Just like Mercedes calls their wagons Sport wagons. Anyway, here's a few pictures to refresh your memory. The vehicle looks rather bloated in the pictures but that's just the camera that was In "personal sedan mode", a tonneau board with dual tonneau covers covers the cargo space to create a luxury sedan atmosphere and achieve a relaxing space.
    In "active wagon mode", a large cargo space like that of a station wagon can be created by storing away the tonneau board with dual tonneau covers.
    In "friendly minivan mode", the number of passengers can be increased to minivan capacity by raising the third-row seats stored in the cargo space.
    2.4L four banger and the 3.5L V6 will be available.

I'm not too crazy about the name as it's too close to Nissan's Versa. They could have come up with another name like the Camara, or Caldera, or Mack or something catchy. :blush:

The Solara is going away and this is taking it's place in the lineup, not as a substitute but as an entry in a different segment.
    Here's some pics, it looks like an elongated and squat Lexus Rx . I'm sure when we get it the grille will be different and of course the front logo will be a Toyota logo.
    Mackabee

imageimage

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Just a Long-wheelbase version of the RX.

-mike
  • That seems much more like a minivan crossover - hardly what i'd call a sedan crossover. i was hoping for a matrix-y camry.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    The press release said it was a 5 passenger vehicle, so no third row-YEAH!!!!!

So those pics of a z10 may be close but no cigar.

How was Toyota able to develop this model with no spy shots out there? They did similar with the HL though.
  • Yeah, the FT-SX featured a sliding rear cargo traythat could assisted with (un)loading. It wasn't designed with a 3rd row in mind. The vehicle's interior is very modern, cutting edge even. It may turn the older buyers (45+) off though. I personally like it hope that it's around in 6 years when I retire my SUV.
  • Don't forget about the 2009 Dodge Journey. It seems like a SUV and Grand Caravan had a baby. It even has new storage features.

Also, somebody forgot to mention that Nissan still makes minivans too! The Quest is the best looking one out there...
    Why are we calling them "cross-overs" it's just another name for Station Wagon, without the stigma of a Station Wagon.

-mike

The term "crossover" to me originated with the Lexus RX300. It was the first(that I know of) vehicle to be designed with suv functionality that was not on a truck platform and not meant to be taken off road. So when I hear crossover I think of car like ride vs a bumpy truck.

Why are we still taking about minivans? My impression of the Venza is that has nothing to do with a minivan and is not meant to be.
    Ft-sx is a concept vehicle. Not all concepts translate to real world finished product. The third row seat may make it over here may not. It probably will since it folds flat to make it a 5 seater wagon. We'll see.
    Mack
  • The venza is looking SWEET you guys. I got to see it at work because I work at Georgetown. It will be at the Detroit auto-show on the 13th. I can tell you it does indeed look similar to the Ft-sx. I liked looking at it so much I wanted to drive it home lol. You will all be surprised about the details of this car, it's high tech and amazing.
    Sounds great, but will have to wait til Monday for the press conference.
    Does it look like this:image :shades:
  • It does not look like that. It seriously looks like the concept car. It will have a 2.7L inline 4 cyl and 3.5L V-6. Six-speed auto transmission. 19" and 20" tires. FWD and optional AWD
    What concept car? Is there a photo of it?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    2.7L I4???? That's the Tacoma engine isn't it? Sure it's not the 2.4L I4?