Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• Briegel -
    Sorry to get your hopes up -
    I just listened to the message on our phone again from the dealer -
    He said it was an I4 with a comfort package, security package and tow package and put it ON the lot LOT on the 13th of MARCH!!
    I am not in Seattle proper and may start looking at the BIGGER Seattle Metro dealers inventory next week...
    I am hopeful though - I was thinking that Toyota would be shipping only BASE model I4s initially and the fact that this one has at least leather is a good sign...
    Still a little sleepless NEAR Seattle!!
    David
  • Hi Liners,
    Its funny as I read your message. My wife has an 05 Avalon and I drove a 03 Sequioa like you. Just heard my Venza is in Jacksonville and hope to have it next week and its Golden Umber as well. Did you get teh extended warranty? I also use to live in Fl.-Miami
  • yurkoyurko Posts: 24
    Hi, deepsouth.

I take it you bought your Venza through a southeast Toyota (SET) dealer. That 5 state dealer network orders vehicles a little different than dealers elsewhere. I just moved to southwest Florida from the midwest a few months ago. Dealers in my area are not doing much price-wise, not yet at least. They seem oblivious to the economy.

Are you still in Florida? Do you mind telling me which dealer you ordered your Venza from, what options you got/considered, and what kind of pricing you were able to get?

Thanks a lot!
  • linersliners Posts: 19
    Good luck with your new car. I continue to be very happy with ours. Miss the Sequioa though. It was a great vehicle with 100,000 plus miles. The Venza will hopefully fill the gap with great gas mileage. I am still averaging around 22 with jus t a little highway miles with 90 percent around town. Will report in after trip to the mountains in a couple of weeks. The color has received lots of compliments as well as the leather interior.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I don't see how you can criticize anyone about the 4 cyl. when you didn't even test drive one I presume.
    Did you forget about $4 gas last summer that will be back sooner than you think? 21mpg ave, isn't good enough for me to invest in a new vehicle to keep long term.
    Enjoy your new ride anyway.
  • LSP972LSP972 Posts: 20
    Dude, you need to relax. I wasn't criticizing anyone; just pointing out they may want to re-consider.

No, I didn't drive a four cylinder. But it doesn't take an engineering degree to figure out that MY six cylinder will have more power, get-up-and-go, whatever you want to call it... and MY six cylinder isn't that peppy.

So, untwist your knickers and buy what you want... ;)

• roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    I'm as relaxed as can be in the Florida sunshine:)

Power isn't everything these days. I think you need to unwind a little.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Here are my reasons for going with the V6:

- The Venza is a heavy vehicle.
    - I'm thinking that the 4-cyl will need to work harder than the V6, which means it'll be louder, rev higher more often, pushed harder, etc.
    - My previous vehicle was a 4Runner V6 with lots of low-end torque.
    - I prefer the 20" wheels (and the 20" tire size is found in other vehicles which should mean they are higher volume with more choices).

Finally:
    - The V6 is available now.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    "The one I drove six weeks ago was without a doubt peppier than mine. We'll see."

I have been thinking about your comment all day. I'd be suspicious. True, new engines do often become more fuel efficient with time; oil consumption often improves, but I doubt you would be able to feel a significant change in it being "peppier." I would have the dealer check out the computer ....... there are so many variables that are computer controlled that could impact performance. I'd watch gasoline consumption carefully.

I have not driven the Venza, but the dealer raves about how "peppy" it is, as well as others have commented on the performance as well.

I think it is pretty exciting that more and more writers on this thread are taking delivery. Please share with us your experiences. I am interested in performance (mentioned above) but also wind noise, rattles, and of course real world efficiency.
  • LSP972LSP972 Posts: 20
    I've been wondering the same thing. I still have less than 100 miles on it, though. I'll give it a bit more time.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    I've had my Venza (AWD V6/Premium Package #1/JBL) for one week now. Some random thoughts after the first week of ownership:

Noise: The Venza seems to allow more road noise in than my 4Runner. It's hard to tell, though -- the 4Runner had more engine noise that might have drowned out any road noise (it was a low, truck-like growl which was kind of nice).

Fuel Economy: The information screen shows an average of 17.5 MPG, but it's steadily increased the more I drive. I'm hoping to get to around 20MPG.

JBL Audio: The Venza's JBL Synthesis is superior to the 10-speaker JBL Synthesis in the 4Runner. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but my music sounds fuller and richer, especially around the mid-range. Even FM radio stations sound better.

Interior Qualify: I have several misaligned trim pieces on the dash. The worst is the woodgrain piece around the MP3 compartment. I'm hearing what sounds like a rattle in the dash and one in the driver's side door, but I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot either one yet.

More later...
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 30
    Did you purchase the Toyo Gaurd Plus? I believe this will help elimanate some noise, because they undercoat the car.I had it on my Sequioa..
    Great report .... thanks.

I hope others will file reports of their experiences as well, plus, I hope we will get updates from time to time.

When we bought our 2001 HL, it was early in the model year. Wind noise was a real problem. Totota followed with a service bulletin, we returned to the dealer and they replaced the seal around the doors. No more problem. The 01 has been a fantastic vehicle, and in that regard, I almost hate to trade it in. I consistently get between 20 and 23 mpg (calculated, not by an on=board display). I own a 2500 Dodge Diesel and the on-board display is about 4 mpg too optimistic.

Good luck to all new owners, and keep those post comin'
  • DAGHVACDAGHVAC Posts: 18
    anyone hear of any performance enhancing products out there that aren't snake oik
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    2009 vs 2010...

If the 2010 Venza does not have upgraded the I4 to DFI, and the V6 for that matter, it will be a serious mistake.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    anyone hear of any performance enhancing products out there that aren't snake oik

Do you mean like shocks and springs or larger sway bars or a turbo/supercharger kit or are you thinking of something on late night tv for $19.95 that miraculously doubles your horsepower and mileage?
    the 19.95 would qualify as snake oil so it would be the first part and turbo rather than super
    the 19.95 would qualify as snake oil so it would be the first part and turbo rather than super

There are turbo kids available for the Lexus, but I don't know if the models are direct injection. its also not inexpensive for the kit, 3-4k, and would do bad things to your warranty. With the exception of Scions (which are mostly about body modifications or audio systems), late model Toyotas don't seem to have a huge aftermarket following.
    i saw aposting about a twinturbo avalon but i don't remember where
  • mikeecfpmikeecfp Posts: 5
    Has anyone seen the article in the February 1st Auto section of the Wall Street Journal about the poor handling of the AWD Venza in the Snow?

The author, Jeff Sabatini, test drove the car in the snow and reported it was heavy and handled poorly. He said the huge 20" wheels made it a handful in the snow where it often struggled to gain traction. He also said that even mild acceleration caused the stability control system to kick in, reducing power and applying single wheel braking to quell slippage, thus rendering the benefits of all wheel drive moot.

Has anyone had this experience? I'm thinking about buying one, but I need a car that handles well in the snow.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    I don't have any first person experience with the Venza, but the issues you describe are often raised for the TC on Toyotas depending on the tastes of the driver and how hard its pushed. I also don't find them very surprising given the Venzas pork and those large wheels. Does also seem clear that he'd rather just have a Camry sedan in the first place, so YMMV.
    The author, Jeff Sabatini, test drove the car in the snow and reported it was heavy and handled poorly. He said the huge 20" wheels made it a handful in the snow where it often struggled to gain traction. He also said that even mild acceleration caused the stability control system to kick in, reducing power and applying single wheel braking to quell slippage, thus rendering the benefits of all wheel drive moot.

To improve fuel economy, OEMs are selecting tires that are designed to reduce rolling resistance (read: friction with the road). As such, what might work fine at a warmer ambient temp can have more issues below freezing. It is also possible that the tires on that test vehicle were so new they weren't broken in yet, or still had mold release or what not on them, hampering their performance.

I would be surprised if Toyota spec'd their vehicle with a 3 season tire or one that preformed significantly below competition in snow.

The size of the tire and wheel is a "bling" factor but doesn't have a direct input on the cold weather handling of the vehicle.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,616
    why not get a rav-4? still can carry 5 and has smaller footprint 'carbon' and otherwise than a venza.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    I own an 06 Avalon with 132000 miles on it. I'm ready to trade. Drove & gave serious consideration to the Venza; both my wife & I were disapointed in it.
    1. Very noisy: wind & especially road noise from the 20" tires.
    2. Handling: worse than the Avalon; which isn't a particularly good handling car to start with. Lots of body lean & dumb feel steering.
    3. performance: V6 dequate but not quite up to the Avalon. same motor, heavier car.
    4. Quality: The usual excellent Toyota quality, interior layout and appointments.

Hope this helps.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "....size of the tire....doesn't have a direct input..."

Oh, but it does, a higher profile tire, taller sidewalls, say on a 17" wheel, will have much better longitudinal conformance with the roadbed.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I own an 06 Avalon with 132000 miles on it. I'm ready to trade. Drove & gave serious consideration to the Venza; both my wife & I were disapointed in it.
    1. Very noisy: wind & especially road noise from the 20" tires.
    2. Handling: worse than the Avalon; which isn't a particularly good handling car to start with. Lots of body lean & dumb feel steering.
    3. performance: V6 dequate but not quite up to the Avalon. same motor, heavier car.
    4. Quality: The usual excellent Toyota quality, interior layout and appointments.

Yes the Venza is NOT the best choice for those coming from an Avalon. The two driving experiences are very very different. The Venza is intended for those dropping down from a 4Runner or Sequoia but don't want a sedan.

The ride is stiffer and noisier and sportier than what a typical Avalon owner would expect. That's intentional.

The engine is far far more powerful than the prior Avlaon. If you're coming out of an early 2000's Avy then you've got the 3.0L V6 with about 190 hp. This 3.5L has 268 hp and a 6 speed tranny. Smoothness not rocket power is the goal in the Venza.

Handling wise you are correct in that it doesn't handle like a sedan.
    I have really enjoyed reading all the recent entries, and in all honesty, my interest in the Venza is in decline. I will most certainly not make any decision until after the Honda CUV appears on the market.

I have not yet driven a Venza, and maybe my question would be quickly answered if I did. But several of you have mentioned lack-luster performance. Doesn't Toyota advertise 0-60 in something less than 7 or 8 seconds? Those are pretty neck-snapping numbers. Comments please.
    Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of the Honda CUV. What is it and how does it compare to the Pilot and CRV?
    mikeecfp
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 30
    Hey KDH spyder

I would not knock the Venza until you test drive. If your looking for performance you may want a sports car. I test drove two and like it very much. It is a very practicle vehicle if you do more than just drive around. You can use it like an SUV. It may not drive like a car but its a smooth ride.
    Any idea how big the Honda CUV might be compared to the Venza?
    Also, what is the likelihood Honda would introduce this in the U.S. in the next 12 months?
    Mikeecfp