Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• Wow sorry you must work for toyota I guess, didn't mean to ruffle you feathers buddy. Actually no. According to the 12 dealers like I stated before, the dealers said the are not getting any 4cy and if the do it is only 1. Or they could be ordered.

Maybe I missed the inside information that you obviously have. Could you let me know where those good quantities are going to be next week?

So I can know it!
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Maybe you missed the initial launch schedule. Now you know it.

I agree with you in general -- if dealers could sell 4-cylinder models, they would. You can't sell what you don't have or don't know. You could have stated that without the hint of attitude, but that's just my two cents.

One could argue that every dealer should know what's going to hit their lots in the coming weeks. That too opens a can of worms. If you start to "pre-sell," you're taking the risk that the vehicles will arrive when you think they will. If they don't, you've got angry customers.

If you don't pre-sell, customers think you either 1) don't know anything; or 2) are intentionally not telling. Again, angry customers.

It's a tough situation for everyone. I'm not in the auto business, but I'm facing a similar issue in my own line of work (and I'm seeing it from the "dealer" perspective).

By the way: in my area, I'm having the opposite problem locating a Venza V6. The only ones available are basic cloth-seat models -- lots of them, in all different colors. All the ones with the Premium Package have been sold, including the distributor's next allocation.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    I find it interesting that Toyota (the world's largest car manufacturer) reports big 4th qt losses; sales are flat across the entire industry; they bring out a new car that is generating a lot of interest; and they pitch it as a low volume car, and allocations are limited? Wouln't Chrysler love to have that problem?

Tell me about the 6 speed auto. Is it a 5 speed plus OD? In 1956 I owned a 3 speed stick with OD ... In each gear you could engage the OD, so, there were 6 ratios, but it was not a true 6 speed.

Anyone have more information about the downshift hesitation?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    My guess would be that when mated with the V6 2 of the six "hard" gears will be OD ranges. And we already know that the lockup clutch is used in gear ratios below OD, making the 6 speed possibly a "9" or even a 10 speed.

With the I4 only the "top" gear is likely to be an actual OD range.

The 2010 RX350 includes the most current firmware "fix"(***) for the 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation so my guess would be that this problem will remain with Toyota and Lexus for a few more years.

*** Watching the rate at which the gas pedal is released to determine the driver's future intent, IMMEDIATE future intent.
    Anyone have any opinions on the tires that come with the Venza? I've seen Goodyear Eagle RS-A and Michelins, with most of them being the latter.

Looking at tirerack.com, the Michelins appear to be much higher rated than the Goodyear. There's also a huge price difference between the Goodyears and the Michelins.

So...if the Venza I'm looking at has Goodyears on, I'm planning to ask the dealer if he'd be willing to swap them. But is there really that big of a difference between the two brands?
  • Believe what you read on tirerack.com, especially the owner surveys. Of course, if you always drive on dry roads and don't push your vehicle too hard, then you won't notice much of a difference between any two tire models. But if your roads get wet and/or snow covered sometimes and you like to go around curves a bit faster than the speed limit sign suggests, and if safety is of some importance to you, go with better tire - the Michelin in the Venza's case. If the dealer won't make a swap for you (even if you offer them $50 to do it), consider quickly replacing the RS-As with something like a Yokohama Parada Spec-X and sell the Goodyears on Ebay. The Yokohamas will end up costing you about $750 shipped, mounted & balanced, but you'll be a lot happier and safer. And if they help prevent even one minor accident versus the Goodyears, they'll pay for themselves immediately.
  • md outback speaks well. Trust tirerack surveys, and buy from them when necessary. I have and can vouch. On my Venza order I wrote the Michelins into the contract. Snow, bad weather and mileage difference are all very significant vs Goodyears. Costco tireman in my snowy mountain area further affirmed the winter capabilities of the Michelins. The Yoko Paradas are also a very good choice, but not IMO better than the Michelins, so insist on the Ms in your order or search. BTW, all the gripers about 20" tires and cost should realize that the Highlander Limited leaves you NO decent choices of AS tires--a serious problem. Venza V6 has multiple good choices.
    Thanks to both of you for your comments. Although snow is not an issue where I live, we have poor weather just like anywhere else. Any additional traction is a good thing. I also read -- though all anecdotally -- that the thread life on the Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires is disappointing, so that's another notch in favor of Michelin.

I'll insist on Michelins -- hopefully if the one I want has Goodyears on them, I can convince the dealer to swap them for me.

I did a quick Google search of the Venza's tire size (245/50R20) and it looks like it's a pretty popular tire size. The Dodge Nitro, Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, Lincoln MKX all seem to use that particular 20 inch tire size.
  • Hopefully this also applies to the 4c that has 19 inch tires . anyone know if the size difference changes anything?
  • The same make & model of a tire should perform similarly regardless of size - though some vehicles may "like" a certain type of tire better than another. The big uncertainty with the 4 cyl Venza is that there are very few 245/55R19 tire models available. The tirerack shows only a Bridgestone Dueler H/L400 (a really horrible tire) and I think there may be a Toyo and a Blizzak model around. We'll have to see what Toyota puts on the 4 cyl Venzas when they arrive. I believe this same size is also used on some Highlander models, so it's surprising there isn't a bigger selection.
  • I also researched it and that seems to be the only tire made in that size. How can that be ?
  • I also researched it and that seems to be the only tire made in that size. How can that be ?

Sometimes an OEM will work with tire suppliers to develop a specific size with specific characteristics for a particular vehicle (Mazda's original Miata was famous for this, and most Porsches have a specific tire designed for that particular model, referenced with a P in the model number (but not the size, most cars have P referenced in the the width).

When Chrysler launched the minivan, it used an awkward size as well, it was like a 195/75R15 or 205/70R15, both were pretty hard to find (the GY Invicta GL was about it) but now that is a very common size for passenger cars. It just takes a little while to proliferate the market. Of course, if the market isn't big enough for the tire manufacturers, then it will stay hard to find.
  • Very detail comparison. What's year model your 4Runner?
    Any measurement in driver seat height difference vs HL, CRV or RAV4 ?
  • Very detail comparison. What's year model your 4Runner?
    Any measurement in driver seat height difference vs HL, CRV or RAV4 ?

Re: Some personal views on the Venza [qs933]When I test drove the Venza, what struck me was not so much the seat height, but the expanse of the dash area compared to a truck-based SUV like my 4Runner. The large dash and small side windows made me feel like I was sitting lower than I actually was.

Earlier in this thread, there were actual measurements of a Venza's seating height and my 4Runner. I believe the seating height (at both the highest and lowest positions) of the Venza was roughly 5 inches lower than the 4Runner. If anyone has access to a Highlander and an RX, that would probably be a better comparison.

Looking at the dimensions of the Venza and the 2010 RX, the Venza is 3 inches shorter, has 0.8 inch higher ground clearance, and is about 1 inch longer and wider.
    Very detail comparison. What's year model your 4Runner?

My 4Runner is a 2005 Sport Edition RWD with a manual seat (not power). The 4WD and models with a power seat may be slightly different, though I doubt it's significant.

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to a Highlander, CRV, or RAV4 for comparison. I would guess that the Highlander is somewhere in between the 4Runner and Venza, but that's just a guess.
    I have been studying the Toyota web-site, and find that the per-designed packages do not include options I want (or to be more accurate, include options I do not want). Is it possible to order exactly what is wanted? I know there is a 12 week delay ... that is OK, I am in no rush. And I know that dealers would be less likely to "deal." That is more problematic.

This business of an allocation is ridiculous. With Toyota announcing lay-offs, and reducing shifts, I cannot believe they would not process an order irregardless of a dealers allocation.

If these options are not possible, I may just wait for the Honda crossover, or buy something else.

Congress cut the incentive to buy now.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There is a wide, WIDE world of difference in the 4runner 2WD/AWD/4WD system and the Venza and even moreso for the HL. The HL relies ONLY on TC braking to "enforce" engine torque distribution when a wheel(s) loses traction with the roadbed.

The new Venza and 2010 RX350 F/awd systems make use of an entirely different design, very much like that used for the past 3-4 years by Ford in the Escape and Mariner and now Mazda in the CX-7. This "new" system remains primarily FWD but with the ability to shift up to 50% of engine torque to the rear when/if conditions warrant.

I fully expect that the next models of the HL and Sienna will be adopting this "new" system.
  • While you can supposedly custom order a Venza, I have not seen any message yet from someone who has actually tried this successfully. What options do you not want? The larger dealers that have a reasonable supply of Venzas (more than 10) seem to have a variety of vehicles from lightly equipped to fully loaded with more on the way - including 4 cylinders now in the pipeline. You are correct that a dealer is less likely to negotiate hard for a custom order, so you may actually get a better deal by accepting some options you don't want but buying a car already on the dealer's lot. And you get the car immediately.

And if you decide to wait for the Honda, you'll probably run into the same problem. I was in the market for the new 2008 Accord coupe in late 2007. Problem was, each dealer only had one or two and those did not have the options or colors I wanted. I would have had to wait more than 6 months for the supply to build up enough so that there were a few choices available.
  • wwest--
    Can you give me your sources of information on the current(2008/2009) Highlander AWD system, in particular where you say that it relies only on traction control for power distribution? I'd like to research this for myself. Thanks!
    Thank you md outback for your response. I think I already knew the answer ... but it is nice to get confirmation. My problem is I still think this is a buyers market. I think GM and Chrysler would "bend over backwards" to sell a car. Toyota does not seem to have that mind set. I have no use for the DVD system, (do not even want it in the vehicle); I am not so passionate about the moon roof, but have no need for one (my HL has one and I rarely open it). But I do want leather and the Nav. system. I think I best wait and see what develops. Not to inject politics, but this congressional spending bill is going to change a lot of factors. I think we are facing a tremendous inflation cycle, and it is hard to know what to do. I could buy a new car now, but I am having a "stupor of action."