Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• halwickhalwick Posts: 45
    You must have an older CRV as the current CRV's rear seats back fold down and the whole seat tumbles forward.

On the Venza, The seat back folds onto the seat cushion. As you lower the seat back, the seat cushion slides slightly forward. The resultant cargo flow has a slight upward slant....maybe about 10 degrees. It's not as bad as in other SUVs.

On the other hand, I wish the seat cushion would flip forward so that you can fold the seat back absolutely flat as in the Ford Escape or the Toyota 4Runner.

Hal
  • ykckbyykckby Posts: 30
    Thanks Hal...my CRV is a 2008 and I know the seats do fold forward but it still isn't flat. I did check the Venza and it will work well for what I need.

I have no idea why so many cars have changed. I had a Murano that laid flat and when I looked to replace it, the new ones are like so many...they have a good size slant .
  • navguy1navguy1 Posts: 181
    The new V9.1 was just released by Toyota for the VENZA for $199. Last year it was $265....

The part number is 86271-GEN06-09
  • GM did have their quality issue back in the 80s and 90s but for toyota and honda their quality starting going down hill if you owned any of them 2001 model and up to current will cost you alot of money for repair for tranny and engine...i do owned 2006 malibu maxx at 70k miles no major repair no burned oil like toyota or honda...and don't want to spend $4k for tranny or $8k for new engine like toyota or honda...you know what i mean...their quality was in the past....this is the year 2009...GM will come back and strong...just give them more time...toyota and honda nothing more than a copy machine....from U.S and Germany....
  • berriberri Posts: 4,234
    It seemed that there were more Highlanders on the lots and in the ads until recently. Now it seems reversed. Dealers seem to have as many or more Venza's and the Venza is more prominent in the newspaper ads. Maybe that will change come winter?
  • Where did you hear or see this? I just received delivery of my Venza on 8/25 and the DVD version was 8.1.
  • navguy1 - Please respond to my request. Where did you find this info? When I checked I could not find the update and the part # does not exist. Thanks...
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    I had been considering a Venza as opposed to a 2010 Outback but the reports of transmission problems and the 20" wheels have put me off.

Why didn't they use smaller wheels and tires???

I do like the fact that you can get HID headlamps, however.

Any thoughts?
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Just a note. Having the Venza on my short list I like to see them on the road. I just finished a 1300mile trip from NY to Florida and saw only one Venza on the highway and that was in the last hour. I'm wondering where they all are? Has the Venza become a soccer mom's car also? I probably saw more Camry's than anything, but a lot of Kia's and Suzuki's. By far the most prevalent non tractor trailer is a pick up truck.
  • roho1,
    Personally, I like the fact that my Venza is a rare sight and it is one of the reasons I did not buy another Lexus RX350 - they were all over the place. I really can't say if the Venza is becoming a soccer moms' vehicle because I too haven't seen that many. But from reading about Venza owners on this and other forums there seems to be a very wide diversity among owners, from older empty-nesters (like me, I'm a grandfather) to families with kids to younger (and older) folks who are really into customizing their Venzas. And based upon the attention I have received from others, the Venza has an appeal that my Lexus RX never had.

MD
  • Hi There,

for VENZA 3.5L V6 AWD
    Can anyone tell their experience on the Down Hill Assist when Cruise control is set?

Does it work on toyota venza? I have been driving in the Alleghenies and whdn on a down hill on a set speed on a cruise the vehicle doesn't maintain the speed set in by cruise it increases according to how steeply vehicle is going down. Is that normal?

with my previous vehicle Mazda cx 7 AWD i never faced this problem?
    R u guys having the same issue....? am :confuse:
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Minimum CC setting is >30MPH, down hill assist is to hold your speed BELOW 10-15MPH.

Other than a completely closed throttle plate the only thing CC is programmed to do to decay or hold speed when going downhill is retard the engine ignition timing.

Think of it this way, what do you think might happen going downhill if the roadbed were icy and CC applied the brakes, or even worse, downshifted the transaxle (FWD..engine compression braking...NOT GOOD..!) without your knowing..??

The best you might hope for from the manufacturers is a CC "overspeed" warning/beeping.
  • I am noticing a few more but it's fine with me that the population of them is not overloaded. Coming from a Camry XLE I can say that it is more spacious and a much different driving experience. It has the heavy feeling of a Lexus, but I like the price tag of the Venza better.
    I don't think this is a 'soccer-mom' vehicle...I think it appeals to many different lifestyles, just as the Camry does. We have two girls in college and a 10 year old, and it serves many purposes. The only thing I think it over-rated and could be improved is the back-up camera...its very small and hard to see in the daylight.
  • Thanks my friend. It answers. But still have a query which i will explain with example

CC Set at 55 MPH Normal day
    Up Hill - When moving on a uphill the CC sets in and keeps the speed set at 55 MPH . Had i kept it on manual i would have pumped on the accelerator to keep the vehicle from climbing and maintain the speed at 55 MPH. so my question is

While going downhill why the CC is not able to maintain the set speed at 55 MPH when going downhill the and keeping the throttle under control? My previous vehicle i never faced this problem. :confuse:
  • You should consider the Venza. Its 20" wheels are perfect and give a smooth and noise free ride. I have been driving this vehicle for past 2 months i haven't faced any transmission problem and am getting a good fuel avg aswell on 3.5L V6 AWD.

The dealer from whom i bought the venza has given a lifetime limited powertrain warranty at no cost.">link title

Definitely the HID is a plus with Auto high Beam Feature specially for night time driving

you can look at my review as well on this linkhttp://www.edmunds.com/toyota/venza/2009/consumerreview.html<a href="
    Was your previous vehicle RWD or R/awd...??

If so then the manufacturers are not being so careful about reducing the level of engine compression braking and the CC calling for a fully closed throttle would/might have more effect at retarding roadspeed.

But even an older FWD or F/awd may have more engine compression braking with a fully closed throttle. It's really been fairly recently IMMHO that manufacturers have begun to pay more attention to this issue, the DANGER, granted, only potential DANGER, resulting from engine compression braking on the drive wheels of a FWD or F/awd vehicle.

Up-hill....

Most CC designs will automatically switch off if the engine cannot maintain the set speed within 5-8MPH. Going up-hill the CC is free to downshift the engine to attain more torque since TC would quickly "step-in" should wheelspin/slip inadvertently result.

VW is now protecting even FWD manual transmission drivers from this effect. Downshift too radically such that engine compression braking results in wheelslip and the VW system will automatically up-rev the engine in order to quickly abate the danger of loss of traction on the front, stearing, wheels.

So my best answer to you is pay more attention to your roadspeed going downhill with CC on. And as the manual states "do not engage CC if the roadbed is slippery or suspected to be so.

Perhaps we will soon see the F/awd Venza versions with a slight overdrive to the rear wheels and thereby the ability to "switch" the majority of engine torque, lagging in this case, to the rear and therefore CC downshifting automatically would not represent such a great HAZARD.

On the other hand CC's control firmware, even "today", could be programmed to moderately brake ONLY the rear wheels with SAFETY.

Since the advent of the TC system's capability to independently apply braking to ANY individual wheel or wheels I have wondered why a light to moderate level of braking, actual driver braking, doesn't occur ONLY at the rear. Seems to me that might improve the safety factor of ALL passenegr vehicles.
  • Thanks dear... I am crystal clear. Got your point. Really appreciate. :) So there is nothing wrong with my venza
    My previous Mazda cx7 was awd 2007 model
    2007 CX-7 F/awd...

Hmmm...

I would have thought that the CX-7's detuned/derated I4 (low CR to accommodate BOOST) would have yeilded a lot less compression braking than the Venza's V6.

How bad was the CX-7's FE with that detuned I4...??

But your CX-7 F/awd used water cooling to keep the PTO from overheating and thereby possibly more adequate use of rear drive coupling than the Venza. Otherwise that share the same F/awd design. It will be interesting to hear how the Venza F/awd system does in comparison.
    Seattle.

It seems to me that a FWD or F/awd such as the Venza, Highlander, Sienna, and Lexus RX series would be highly inappropriate for most Canadian drivers.

The poor safety record of FWD in adverse wintertime roadbed conditions is bad enough but then throw in the unwarranted additional confidence, over-confidence, level of F/awd drivers and you're asking for real trouble.

Kuddoes to Toyota for adopting a more appropriate F/awd system, virtually an exacting copy of the Ford and Mazda F/awd system, and now the Porsche 911 R/awd system.

But.

The only time the rear driveline is to be engaged usefully is under initial acceleration from a dead stop. This is to alleviate, pre-emptively alleviate, the potential for engine torque at low speeds resulting in front wheelspin/slip. Loss of directional control leading to an accident.

Otherwise the engine torque will be primarily routed, 95%, to only the front wheels and TC, Traction Control will rule.

If front wheelslip/spin should then inadvertently result then TC braking will be INSTANTLY used to regain traction at the front as quickly as is possible while at the same time the engine gets dethrottled and the rear drive clutch fully engaged.

Get that..??

Dead in the water, right..??

Unless you can disable TC...

But then with TC disabled will the system still automatically couple in the rear drive or will the owner need to provide a manual switch with which to engage the rear drive clutch...?

The Mazda CX-7 uses water cooling of the PTO such that the rear drive can be engaged, sometimes fully engaged, somewhat continuously. Ford, on the other hand, chose to revise the firmware to reduce the functionality of rear drive coupling in order to alleviate driveline component overheating (once it was discovered to be happening), primarily the rear drive clutch and the PTO.

Given the history of Toyota and Lexus F/awd systems, all mostly non-functional, designed only for marketing purposes, I would put my money on the Venza not having enough F/aw functionality to suffice unless you live well SOUTH of the snow zone.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,296
    What poor safety record? All the cars in the ditch at first snow fall are 4WD SUVs.

Got a link? :shades:

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• bkbybkby Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. To reproduce it just apply a little excess pressure on the brake peddle when starting the car or when changing gears from park to D or R. It triggers the VSC and jumps into gear when the VSC clears. I consider this a very dangerous situation and am discussing with Toyota. Had it back to the dealer abut 4 times before we figured it out. Once we did, we could reproduce on every Venza on the lot. This should be a recall item in my opinion.
  • sanishsanish Posts: 66
    I test drove 2009 Venza (V6 w/AWD) yesterday and noticed a few issues with it, not sure if some of you had the same observation.

1) There was a burning smell outside the car after the test drive and the salesman mentioned that it was because the car was new and still needs to break in.
    2) The cargo area with the trunk closed and the second row in position is not that great.
    3) I always position my elbow either on the door or door handle, did not find a good position in this vehicle and the leather seats we not comfortable.
    4) 20" wheels are way too big for this vehicle.
    5) Too expensive for a Camry Wagon.
  • Sanish,

Saturn VUE is affordable. It doesn't have the burning smell nor 20" wheels.

I don't have the same observation like yours. I love every bit and driving my VENZA that I accumulated 15000 miles within 6 months.
  • sanishsanish Posts: 66
    Mr,

You seem to love your Venza so much that you cannot tolerate others observation. BTW, nobody asked for your advise on which vehicle one should buy.

I am planning to buy 2010 RX350 in December but since I read from various posts that Venza is a good vehicle and in comparison with RX350, I thought of checking it out and post my observation. I am not trying to explain to you but to others who may get offended by my post. "I am not here to trash Venza but for good input from sensible owners".
  • It is grayed out. I want to connect my IPHONE with OS 3.1 for Bluetooth Audio streaming. Does anyone here have this kind of set-up? I saw the youtube video from Cars.com but it doesn't show the steps.

My Iphone cell phone is connected to the car's bluetooth but not the audio bluetooth.

UPDATE: I got it to work for both bluetooth phone and audio. However, you can't connect at the same time. The trick is to change the password for Bluetooth Audio same as the Bluetooth Phone.
  • volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    We are still deciding on our purchase, so can't answer as an owner. But...

1) There was a burning smell outside the car after the test drive and the salesman mentioned that it was because the car was new and still needs to break in.
    -That is normal in a brand new vehicle. It can last for a while as various surface waxes and oils left over from the build burn off.

2) The cargo area with the trunk closed and the second row in position is not that great.
    -Form over function. People tend not to like squared off rear ends these days. Raking the back reduces cargo but the buying public prefers the look. If you are considering the '10 RX, look at the profiles - looks like it's just the Lexus version of the Venza, so don't expect much improvement from your choice.

3) I always position my elbow either on the door or door handle, did not find a good position in this vehicle and the leather seats we not comfortable.
    -That's always personal and varies by body size and shape. I could never find a comfortable driving position in our Sienna. My wife loved it.

-I agree wholeheartedly and the wheels on the Lexus look better IMHO. Many people here don't. Personal taste on that one.

- Maybe, but the premium for the AWD option is worth it to some of us. I personally agree with you if folks are considering the FWD version. OTOH some might argue the RX is expensive for a Venza with a Lexus badge, wood trim and fancier leather.
  • "Too expensive for a Camry Wagon." - that sounds like trashing the Venza to me.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    Saying something is expensive isn't trashing it, in my book. And I agree that "burning" smell will dissipate after a few drives.

That said, I wouldn't buy a V-6 AWD unless I lived in a snowy, mountainous area, or had a few secret backwoods fishing holes that were isolated by mud bogs. Why? Because it's much more expensive than the base model. The FWD 2.7L with Avalon-level standard equipment is the bargain buy. Less than $28k. And fine in snow (with decent all-season tires). 2010's will have standard Bluetooth and USB audio input for iPod. My lease is up in February, and am beginning the countdown.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302

I was worried about this too, given the steep slope of the rear window. I had the same concern when I looked at the RX. On paper, the '10 RX has more cargo room than the Venza (30 vs. 40 cu ft), but I think part of it's due to the RX being 4 inches taller. There's a difference between numbers on paper and actual usable space for the kinds of things you expect to carry.

Before I bought my Venza, I took several suitcases (which is probably the most cargo that I'd carry at any one time) to the dealer to see if it would all fit. Fortunately, it did, so the cargo area became a non-issue for me.

I agree on the driver's side -- the door is too high to rest my arm and the armrest is too low. Not a big deal for me, though.

The best right-side armrest that I ever had was the seat-mounted one on my 2001 Highlander, which lacked a center console. Everything else has been too low for comfort, though I find myself resting my hand on the Venza's gear shift.

Count me in as one of those who like the 20" wheels. The 18" wheels on the '10 RX look tiny and plain. Notice how all the photos on Lexus' site are of the optional 19" wheels.

If it really was just a wagon version of the Camry, I'd agree. But the Venza is better than a Camry. If you had to call it a wagon version of something, it's closer to being an Avalon wagon, IMHO.

I took a good look at the '10 RX (which had just gone on sale) before deciding on the Venza. Without the navigation system, you're stuck with a cheesy black and white display and a large plastic tray where the remote touch controller would have been. With the Navigation, you're looking at over $45K based on the package combinations my distributor brings in.

To some, the real wood (yes, the Venza's attempt at wood is not fooling anyone), softer leather, longer warranty, premium dealer experience, exclusive tech options (HUDs, PCS, dynamic radar), etc. are worth it. For others (like me), the Venza was the right balance of luxury and price. Either way, both are great vehicles.

I think the parallel experience follows those cross-shopping the Forrester and the CR-V against the Venza. Is the Venza worth the premium over those fine vehicles? I think it is, but neither the Forrester nor the CR-V were serious contenders for me when I was shopping, so I really didn't take a good look at them.
    I will not be "trading in" my '01 F/awd RX300 for a new RX until one is available with the I4 adapted to DFI and extended VVT-i, same for the Venza, whichever comes first.

But I would be THRILLED to buy a hybrid F/awd (drive shaft rear drive) Venza with the I4, DFI, and extended VVT-i. Or even a CX-7 under the same "build".