Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Venza Crossover

Comments

• volkovvolkov Posts: 1,302
    I don't have any first person experience with the Venza, but the issues you describe are often raised for the TC on Toyotas depending on the tastes of the driver and how hard its pushed. I also don't find them very surprising given the Venzas pork and those large wheels. Does also seem clear that he'd rather just have a Camry sedan in the first place, so YMMV.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    The author, Jeff Sabatini, test drove the car in the snow and reported it was heavy and handled poorly. He said the huge 20" wheels made it a handful in the snow where it often struggled to gain traction. He also said that even mild acceleration caused the stability control system to kick in, reducing power and applying single wheel braking to quell slippage, thus rendering the benefits of all wheel drive moot.

To improve fuel economy, OEMs are selecting tires that are designed to reduce rolling resistance (read: friction with the road). As such, what might work fine at a warmer ambient temp can have more issues below freezing. It is also possible that the tires on that test vehicle were so new they weren't broken in yet, or still had mold release or what not on them, hampering their performance.

I would be surprised if Toyota spec'd their vehicle with a 3 season tire or one that preformed significantly below competition in snow.

The size of the tire and wheel is a "bling" factor but doesn't have a direct input on the cold weather handling of the vehicle.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,442
    why not get a rav-4? still can carry 5 and has smaller footprint 'carbon' and otherwise than a venza.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    I own an 06 Avalon with 132000 miles on it. I'm ready to trade. Drove & gave serious consideration to the Venza; both my wife & I were disapointed in it.
    1. Very noisy: wind & especially road noise from the 20" tires.
    2. Handling: worse than the Avalon; which isn't a particularly good handling car to start with. Lots of body lean & dumb feel steering.
    3. performance: V6 dequate but not quite up to the Avalon. same motor, heavier car.
    4. Quality: The usual excellent Toyota quality, interior layout and appointments.

Hope this helps.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "....size of the tire....doesn't have a direct input..."

Oh, but it does, a higher profile tire, taller sidewalls, say on a 17" wheel, will have much better longitudinal conformance with the roadbed.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    I own an 06 Avalon with 132000 miles on it. I'm ready to trade. Drove & gave serious consideration to the Venza; both my wife & I were disapointed in it.
    1. Very noisy: wind & especially road noise from the 20" tires.
    2. Handling: worse than the Avalon; which isn't a particularly good handling car to start with. Lots of body lean & dumb feel steering.
    3. performance: V6 dequate but not quite up to the Avalon. same motor, heavier car.
    4. Quality: The usual excellent Toyota quality, interior layout and appointments.

Yes the Venza is NOT the best choice for those coming from an Avalon. The two driving experiences are very very different. The Venza is intended for those dropping down from a 4Runner or Sequoia but don't want a sedan.

The ride is stiffer and noisier and sportier than what a typical Avalon owner would expect. That's intentional.

The engine is far far more powerful than the prior Avlaon. If you're coming out of an early 2000's Avy then you've got the 3.0L V6 with about 190 hp. This 3.5L has 268 hp and a 6 speed tranny. Smoothness not rocket power is the goal in the Venza.

Handling wise you are correct in that it doesn't handle like a sedan.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    I have really enjoyed reading all the recent entries, and in all honesty, my interest in the Venza is in decline. I will most certainly not make any decision until after the Honda CUV appears on the market.

I have not yet driven a Venza, and maybe my question would be quickly answered if I did. But several of you have mentioned lack-luster performance. Doesn't Toyota advertise 0-60 in something less than 7 or 8 seconds? Those are pretty neck-snapping numbers. Comments please.
  • mikeecfpmikeecfp Posts: 5
    Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of the Honda CUV. What is it and how does it compare to the Pilot and CRV?
    mikeecfp
  • deepsouthdeepsouth Posts: 30
    Hey KDH spyder

I would not knock the Venza until you test drive. If your looking for performance you may want a sports car. I test drove two and like it very much. It is a very practicle vehicle if you do more than just drive around. You can use it like an SUV. It may not drive like a car but its a smooth ride.
    Any idea how big the Honda CUV might be compared to the Venza?
    Also, what is the likelihood Honda would introduce this in the U.S. in the next 12 months?
    Mikeecfp
  • milkman1milkman1 Posts: 80
    Not to get off topic, but the Accord based CUV is slated for US release before end of 3rd quarter this year, unfortunately beyond the window I am allowing myself to get a new car.

Links:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/honda_acura_centr- al/2010_honda_accord_cuv_spied

http://www.leftlanenews.com/honda-accord-crossover.html
    Your comment is acknowledged. Actually, I did not express myself very well. I am not especially interested in performance, and if you read several of my recent comments, you will see I am waiting to test drive the 4 cyl. I am just surprised that several have mentioned it is not as peppy as expected, which seems inconsistent with Toyota's advertisement.

I am more concerned about the snow performance comments, and the 20 inch tires. I live in snow country, and winter traction is a must. And, I am interested in fuel efficiency.

The above URL for the Honda CUV is a must see. But it will all depend on the details. I have owned both a Toyota and a Honda, and both are exceptional vehicles.
  • LSP972LSP972 Posts: 20
    Well, I was one initially disappointed in the "peppiness". Actually, I was a bit prematurely critical.

Today I had to punch it to keep from getting sodomized by a DWHUA soccer mom in a Nissan van. Traffic was slowing for an upcoming red light; I saw this twit about 200 feet behind me, with her head down (on a cell phone, naturally), and she was NOT braking. I had an opening in the adjoining lane, punched it to keep from getting hit by the other vehicle just off my right rear, and jumped over. The other driver saw it coming and was cool about it.

The non-driving... female... was oblivious to the whole thing. Talk about give the world for a photon torpedo launcher...

Point is, the Venza responded immediately and crisply, with no hesitation. A street racer, it ain't; but I've got about 300 miles on the clock now, and the response is definitely up to what I was expecting. Dunno, maybe it was just sluggish at first.

Road noise depends on the surface. I was on new, sharp concrete Sunday, and it was TERRIBLE. On smooth asphalt or polished (worn) concrete, nice and refined.

Wind noise is negligible.

I LOVE this ride. The sound system is primo; and I'm one who used to NEVER listen to anything while driving except for an occasional DVD. The satellite radio jazz stations have re-birthed my interest in cruising tunes. Naturally, I hear that Sirius XM has declared bankruptcy... :-(

The keyless entry/start is just too cool. And the voice command system for the nav and BlueTooth, while a bit cumbersome, works without a hitch.

This car has nooks and crannies to stash stuff EVERYWHERE. The center console interior is huge, and is actually two separate compartments.

I did not want a full-blown SUV; yet, I need more space than your average sedan, to haul my radio control model aircraft. I was about to get a VW Passat station wagon when I saw a Venza.

I am very glad I bought this car. It is quite nimble for being so boxy; and the ergonomics/accoutrements are first class.

But I STILL think it needs the six cylinder.

YMMV... ;)

• david_k1david_k1 Posts: 39
    It is mostly a philosophical problem -
    I just can't see myself in an SUV - and yes the Venza is a form of SUV lite (or CUV - or as I like to call it, a Camry Wagon on steroids). The creature comforts and "car" like handling are also plusses over the Rav-4...
    I guess doing the Venza with a I4 is my way to offset the some of the "footprint".
    I am not sure about your comment that the new Venza would be better with a V6. As far as I know the only car available is a V6 with either 2Wheel drive or AWD,
    Please clarify.
    Mikeecfp
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    As far as I know the only car available is a V6 with either 2Wheel drive or AWD,

The Venza is currently available with a V6. The 4-cylinder model will be hitting dealers soon.
  • david_k1david_k1 Posts: 39
    For any Seattle Metro Venza folks I just noted what looks to be the 1st 2.7L 4cyl listed in the inventory of a Bellevue Dealer.
    Rather than name Names I'll let you-all research who that might be!!
    I may VENture over to drive it - decision time is nearing!
  • The "Auburn" dealer has one too.
  • mmccloskeymmccloskey Posts: 168
    Greetings:

I stopped by the local Toyota dealer to pick up some oil filters for my Highlander Hybrid. I noticed a red 4 cylinder Venza on the front lot along with the V6 model. I took a quick look and like it better than the V6. The alloy wheels are more tasteful (IMO) compared to the 5 spoke 'gansta' wheels on the V6. Also the interior trim is a very good looking carbon fiber type unlike that phony looking 'wood' and the cloth seat trim is quite nice looking too. It was the base model with only floor mats and no other options. Since I'm not in the market for a new vehicle (my 2007 Highlander Hybrid only has 19K miles) I didn't test drive it.

I'm sure those that have purchased a V6 Venza are very pleased with their vehicle and now that the I4 is arriving at dealers, it will give those considering a Venza another choice.

Regards -

M. J. McCloskey
    Most interesting ... Thank you.

My local Toyota dealer may be some time in getting a 4 cyl. They have only received 2 V6's, and neither has sold. As those of you (in more populated places) drive a 4 cyl, I would love to know your impressions. I am especially interested in noise. Does the 4 cyl protest loudly when merging into traffic? Also, does there seem to be less insulation?

I had thought the 4 and the 6 cyl. would have identical options (save and except the 19 and 20 inch wheels).

All of your recent comments, as well as Consumer Reports, has causing me to think a little more favorable about the Venza. Now, Toyota must cooperate a bit and be willing to deal. I can wait them out.