Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• md_outbackmd_outback Posts: 185
    Hey toyotaslast,
    I cannot say with 100% certainty, but it is very likely the JBL Synthesis system has an amp that is separate from the head unit. Other Toyotas with the upgraded JBL systems have a separate amp, often found under the seats or in the trunk areas. I looked all around my Venza and could not find the amp, so my guess is that it is mounted somewhere within the dash, possibly near the glove box (sorry, I did not feel like ripping the dash apart to confirm this). ;)

This link leads to a more detailed description of the Venza's JBL Synthesis system:
    http://www.jbltoyota.com/toyota_venza/default.asp

Hope this helps.

MD
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    Senor y cubano....y ud?....where you borned here?...I came when I was 15 now I am 65 could be grandfather...lol...I know host sorry for getting of the subject...it wont happened again...good luck to you and stay out ofr the Sun,,I am NJ...
  • vestirsevestirse Posts: 7
    No soy cubana, pero nací y me críe en Miami ;)

I'm wondering a few things about my buying experience. I've come to some conclusions that perhaps are incorrect.

1. I've heard that dealerships have quotas and if they haven't filled them yet, buying at the end of the month may save you a lot since they are trying to meet their quota. I bought at the end of the month...

2. I've also heard that dealerships have a certain time in which to sell the car before the manufacturer keeps the holdback. It's usually about 3 months, according to a few sources I've read on the web. I've checked the manufacture date on the door jam on my Venza and it was indeed manufactured 3 months ago...

Either of these true?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,970
    The dealer gets the same holdback on every unit (assuming they are identical).

The dealer has to pay a bank to finance his inventory. Assuming he is paying 8% interest (not likely that high), then in three months, he would pay the equivalent of the 2% holdback on an individual unit.. But, Toyota doesn't take away any of the holdback.. the dealer still gets the full amount.

It used to be that the manufacturers provided financing for all of the inventory at their dealerships... but, that just isn't the case today. The banking industry is very competitive (okay, maybe not in the last year), and dealers can choose to go wherever they get the best deal.

So... the idea that an older unit doesn't have any holdback left, just doesn't wash... Each unit that sits on the lot is an expense... If the dealer has paid interest to keep the car on his lot for 9 months, that won't make him any less likely to cut you a deal to get rid of it.. It isn't like he can raise the price each month to recoup his expenses.

Any unit that the dealer sells is one less unit that he has to finance the next month.... He gets paid an equal amount for holdback, on all identical units, no matter how long they have been on the lot..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• vestirsevestirse Posts: 7
    Thank you for the very informative post!

From my experience, he seemed very anxious to get it off his lot, but the dealership is huge with many many cars and maybe it was just eating up space. From the time I called him, he was really pushing that particular one and it made me wonder why. Suited me since I liked the black and he was willing to deal on the price but maybe it was just one of those times when the equation fit and equaled a purchase and I am trying to read too much into it :).
  • Anyone have any recommendations on any dealers in the Orlando, FL area...I'm willing to drive a little ways. The reason I ask, all the dealers here are really starting to piss me off. They won't go anymore than $1500 msrp (and this is with a lot of banter) on a 4 cycl 2wd venza. This is even with options I don't want and me being very lenient on my color choices...pretty much picking from what they have on lot. I am doing all my negotiations via e-mail also. Thanks.
  • jkl99jkl99 Posts: 11
    Thanks, vertirse. I have contacted City Toyota as well as some other Toyota dealers near where I live. I will let you know once I have bought my Venza.
  • roho1roho1 Posts: 317
    Good Luck. Do a search on Southeast Toyota here, known as SET. They make it very difficult compared to other regions. Being a new Florida resident myself I have resigned myself to either going out of State or not to buy a Toyota at all.
    I feel sorry for those of you who live in the Southeast...Toyotas are not sold directly to dealers but to a distributor (middle man..) that adds items to the cars to increase their price (profits) and the dealers are very limited on what they can do when oit comes time to sell, since they also have to make money..the same happens in the Southwest. These are the only 2 areas in the country where Toyota has a "distributor" and for what I read this is a practice going back many years..about the time Toyota started selling cars in the USA..good luck
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Like the Southeast and Gulf State regions, Toyota uses a distributor in Hawaii (Servco). We rarely share in the same customer rebates or other incentive offers that are common elsewhere.

Servco also owns most of the retail dealer network in Hawaii, so on the plus side, they are pretty good about limiting distributor add-ons. They make their money on the retail side.

The downside is that they have pretty good control over pricing within the state. It's also much more difficult to buy out-of-state logistically, and Legislative changes to the way excise tax is applied to out-of-state new vehicle purchases sapped a lot of the potential savings.
  • katylin1katylin1 Posts: 18
    I'm glad there's someone else just as irritated as I am with the GulfState (Texas, Louisana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, ??) and SouthEast (Florida, Georgia, North & South Carolina, ?? forgot :P ) Toyota Distributors.

Svofan2 has helped alot with the frustration level and providing me with some insight. If nothing else I'm alittle better prepared for the second round coming. If you really don't care about (or for some indifferent or with a fat wallet) it's relatively easy to get a really nice internet quote. Of course the price of the vehicle is very very bloated but hey for many people that's still a good deal to get something you don't want but at a discount.

Anyway, enough with the griping, but if anyone who is dealing with a Toyota dealership NOTin the Distributors areas please post and let me know if they're more flexible. I'm going to try in a few more months.
  • katylin1katylin1 Posts: 18
    You are quite right in your info. One dealership finally found the options I wanted on the car, but had the leather package included. So I ask $$ he quoted $29.625 MSRP but when I said it was more than what I wanted to pay for he said he did his very best for me and wish me luck. I was so surprised I said thanks and goodbye. I mean he didn't even want to negotiate. Here I am with bank check and loan check all ready and he didn't even care. I mean like wow...must be nice for Toyota to afford to pick & choose their customer.

I'm thinking about Fitzmall and also neighboring states like Kansas -- in a few more months. If you know of any reputable non-GulfState area...pass the great info on!
    :shades:
    ...must be nice for Toyota to afford to pick & choose their customer.

The difference is that Toyota has been able to sell on aspects other than price. They've also been able to really control (at least in the case of the Venza) the supply such that they aren't in a situation where they have to resort to massive discounts below invoice to keep the inventory moving.

That's why any hint of quality slippage or even just the domestics getting that much better (the 2010 Buick Lacrosse is a good example) is a threat to Toyota and, specifically, the distributors that have relied on low-value, high-margin tack-ons. On the plus side, that should level the playing field a bit when it comes to pricing.

Not trying to defend it, but the distributors and dealers definitely know exactly what they are doing and what they can do to maximize profit while satisfying customer demand.
    ......Not trying to defend it, but the distributors and dealers definitely know exactly what they are doing and what they can do to maximize profit while satisfying customer demand..................

Not buying it. For those us of from from other regions, we know better and the word is finally getting out. Justify Toyo guard please, how satisfying is it to overpay for that?
    Your point is well taken, but you failed to addresses is that the "distributors" in those regions are inflating..and controlling the Toyota pricing thus forcing the dealers to charge or sell the vehicles sccordingly. I am in the Nort east (NJ) and here the dealers get their vehicles directly from Toyota thus allowing them to sell at what the market will bear or better yet according to their own business needs rather than having to sell based on the additional charges tacked on by the distributors.
    I always heard from friends of ours that cars in North were cheaper than in the South and I thought that that was just a perception..now I know why..
    Will reemphasize that I'm not trying to defend the practices of SET or GST. I'm just amazed that folks seem surprised that the distributor does things to -- gasp -- increase their profit.

As long as there enough buyers in those regions who purchase on 1) impulse; 2) lack of information; and 3) a determination that the value of buying a Toyota exceeds the pain of paying for Toyoguard, SET and GST will continue to push high-margin add-ons because they know the vehicles will still sell.

With all the education that's out there (Edmunds, these types of forums, etc.) and the relative ease of purchasing vehicles by email from a dealer hundreds of miles away, combined with a general improvement in other manufacturer's vehicles relative to Toyota, market forces will eventually drive down the selling power of SET and GST. That will lead to them to rethink their strategy.
  • ravelsbenravelsben Posts: 1
    Hello,

To be honest, I've been holding off buying a Toyota because I've heard so much stories about horrifying salesmen at Colonial Toyota in Milford, CT and the non haggle pricing of some dealerships(they include lifetime tires, oil changes,etc). I really love the Venza, but getting the best price is so much hassle and the internet sales managers were not willing to negotiate. They quoted me $4450 above Edmunds price and when I told him, he said he doesn't know how I got that figure and Edmunds don't even sell cars. I wonder if Toyota Corp. knows that they are loosing some customers because of their dealerships.
    How much did you pay for yours?

Edmunds TMV: $27,750 (Dealer $32200)
    Navigation System
    CQ Convenience Package
    SA Security Package
    It certainly does sound like your defending their practices. I don't begrudge any business from making a profit, that's what business is all about. When a middle man is allowed by Toyota to gouge it's customers with mindless options then that's when I draw the line.
    I hope your right that the real word gets out to more Toyota customers about these extra add ons and they will decide to say no.
    I recall the days when dealers would tack on a sheet next to the sticker price with all kind of add ons like dealer prep for $200-500, twenty five cent stripes for $250, undercarrage rust proofing for $500 and on and on until customers finally said no. Actually some still try to get away with it and probably do. As Barnum said there is a sucker born every minute.
    It certainly does sound like your defending their practices.

Fine. I really don't care what it sounds like. I'm not going to debate that point any further.

Let me ask you this: what do you think needs to be done to address what's happening? Do you think Toyota should step in and buy out their distributors? Do you think the government should step in to protect the consumers, like they did with the Monroney Act?
  • 313313 Posts: 7
    I am looking for Venza V6 AWD with LX, NV, PC, SR, TO in Blizzard Pearl/gray leather, the best quote I can get in bay area is $35100 ($500 over invoice, $3594 off MSRP) including carpet set, cargo net, and rear bumper protector, but since this combination is out of stock in whole bay area and need to wait for 1.5 months to get the car. Do you think is it a good deal?

I can find the car in LA area, but don't know if it worth to fly to LA to get the car or not. Can anyone let me know your best deal in LA area? Then I can have the rough idea how to make offer to LA dealership. Usually, people can get around 1K cheaper from LA area than bay area, but don't know how Venza will be due to not a lot of inventory in CA currently. It's hard to negotiate with dealership now.

Need your kindly advise. Thanks.