Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• irismgirismg Posts: 345
    If I may say so, who in the real world buys their tires online?! I personally don't know anybody living here at my complex or who even has a house who would buy mail order tires, for God's sakes. What are tires for Venza likely to cost at Sears or Goodyear? That's the real question. You gotta buy local in these parts.

As to the dealer, you may well be right about that, but really, the car didn't look all that fancy, just had some dark tinted glass, it had wood grain window controls (which were nice), it was 4WD, it was a 6 cylinder, it had alloy wheels (that is to say, didn't have hubcaps.

It looked like this one, except it was black. I imagine there were dealer add ons because you can't even buy a Saturn off the lot without them. It looks like finding one between $20K and $30K is going to be a problem, if both your Fitzmall's and CarMax's prices are any indication. It may be a moot point, since who's going to drive all that way to buy one from them. Again, a lot of people are stuck with buying local.

Maybe they'll come out with a smaller, more affordable one if this one does well for them. By the time they do, these first Venzas will available for a good price.
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    Also, I tried to bend the outside mirrors and couldn't, they don't have those collapsing mirrors a lot of the newer cars have now.

According to Toyota's list of standard features, the exterior mirrors are foldable. Maybe you weren't pushing hard enough?

If I may say so, who in the real world buys their tires online?!

Tirerack has been around for awhile (even before the web and online ordering), so I'd guess enough people do to keep them in business. Considering that I'm doing most of my negotiation for my next vehicle online and I've bought all my computers online, buying tires online may not be as much of a stretch as it intuitively seems.

It looks like finding one between $20K and $30K is going to be a problem...

Remember -- the first ones delivered are going to be fully loaded. There will be more cloth-seat, 2WD $27-30K V6 models around in the coming weeks/months.
  • Hey irismg,
    I'm not sure where you live, but I'll bet tirerack can recommend a local tire installer who will accept a shipment of tires from them. So you buy the tires on-line and ship them to the installer. Then you just make an installation appointment, pay the mounting and balance fee and your done, probably saving 20% or more over what Sears or Goodyear would charge you. Ask any car freak about tirerack and they'll have good things to say (I've used them for about 20 years with zero problems). Also, if you're hoping to find a Venza for less than $30K, you'll need to wait for the 4 cyl to come out in late January or early February. And then, if you go easy on the options, you can get a vehicle with a list MSRP of around $29K and with some successful negotiation pay between $26K and $27K. If you only have one dealer nearby, they may not be willing to negotiate, but it wouldn't hurt to show them quotes from other dealers. Good luck.

MD
  • macpromacpro Posts: 52
    The mirrors on my Venza fold both forward and backward and didn't really require too much pressure (I just checked).

I have purchased tires for my wife's car and mine for several years from Tirerack. It was the Lexus dealer where we purchased our vehicles from over the years that recommended Tirerack to us.
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    I, & most of the people I know, have been buying tires on line for years; and we do live in the real world. The Tire Rack has a great selection of all brands, better prices than anyone I've ever found in the 5 states I've lived in, an objective, knowledeable sales staff, loads of information that will help you select the best tire to suit the way you drive, and local installers all over the country.

Try it the next time you need tires
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Posts: 187
    The folding, heated mirrors on the Venza are part of option package #2
  • "I personally don't know anybody living here at my complex or who even has a house who would buy mail order tires..."

I agree with your concerns about pricing on the large tires, but I would add another plug for tirerack. I can't imagine not buying my tires online. Tirerack is the Amazon.com of tires. I get much more accurate information there than I would get from any salesperson in a store, they have a great selection and great pricing. They also have a great user ratings section where thousands of people rate tires and the tires in each class can be compared to each other by different characteristics, even by make of car. I even convinced my 80 year old mother-in-law to buy on line. You can often have them shipped directly to an installer. The last time I ordered snow tires they arrived in two days.
  • wstevecwstevec Posts: 126
    I got to test drive a V6 AWD loaded model and was most impressed. I found the ride very comfortable, but not soft or stiff as I find my wife's Rav4. The car had plenty of power to get up and go on the highway while being easy to maneuver on secondary rounds and gas stations. Yes, I did say gas stations, because the yellow low fuel warning light was on and I did not want to get stuck on the highway, Some things never change for dealers :) , but since it take regular (big plus) and with gas is so cheap (at least right now), $2 was plenty to complete my test drive. The back storage are was perfect for my golf equipment including cart. It much easier to get it in and out since no bending is needed. The driving position and entry is just right, since I am 6' tall. I found it much more comfortable than the Rav 4 which I am also considering. However, the dealers (those who want to stay in business) are willing to deal. My low pressure salesman (who sold my wife's car) said right now he can do $1000 over invoice. He thinks by the time I am ready to order in late January it might be around $200 over invoice. For the fun of it, he did a search for Venzas which a limited amount of options and the lowest tended to have at least $3000-$4000 worth of extras. Since I only want the Comfort Package (LS) and Tow Prep (TO) he said that a special order would not be a problem and not cost any more, Special orders will take from 6 to 8 weeks which is fine for me since I don't want the car until mid-March when most of the snow will end around here (Boston area). Seems like the closer to spring you can wait, the deeper the discounts will become.
  • chadxchadx Posts: 153
    If I may say so, who in the real world buys their tires online?!

I, and lot's of people I know, use tirerack all the time. I've lived in quite a few cities/states and have ordered from tirerack more times than I haven't. That is including when I lived in downtown Chicago and had them shipped to my high-rise.

I did, however, just replace my Michelin pickup tires at Costco. There happened to be a big Michelin sale on at the time that I was in for a price comparison. 85,000 miles on the current tires (same model), and could have gone another 5,000 but it's dead of winter and the snowstorms are moving in (Montana) and I wasn't looking forward to driving up the ski mountain, every weekend, on that amount of tread.

Back on the subject, I am holding off on a Venza test drive until I can do it in a 4 cylinder AWD since that is the only model in which I'm interested. I don't want to get used to V6 power when I am only considering the I4. Heck, 182hp should be plenty. My '83 Ford F150 only had 185 (though more torque) and that was plenty. The Venza weighs almost 4,000lbs and that truck was just over that. Amazing how heavy vehicles are nowdays with all the safety and creature comforts adding up.
    What a strange new world this is. Thanks for the info. Apartment dwellers such as myself would have no place to store tires, so this is a revelation. Although, it still seems like a hassle.
    By "lots of people you know", how many is that, exactly? I don't think online tire buying is that popular here in Oklahoma City yet. But, what do I know?
    I just bought new ones for the old-timer (at dealer prices, no less), but I just might do that if any convenient tire places in Metro OKC do that. I would still venture to suggest that you and a few of your friends wouldn't constitute widespread usage, as it's certainly not advertised very much here in Oklahoma. After all, if an Internet business sells worldwide, they wouldn't have to do much local business to be successful, so that doesn't really tell me much. But I'm certainly open to a new way of doing things, especially with regards to saving money! :)
    Well, it would be poor form for me to go over there during their off hours and break their mirror trying to get it to move, would it? I'll take your word for it, glad it works as it should for you. But on a Nissan, it's much easier to move the mirror.
    Wow, guys, I get it! Tire Rack, it is! :) I guess I'll have to go online and see if they do business in my state. If it's Pep Boys, forget it! I wouldn't send a dog I liked over there...
    DEFINITELY I want the 4cylinder! The 4 cyl. Camrys have plenty of power enough for my purposes! But, $26K...hm. Nope, about $6K too much. I could get a nicely equipped Tiguan for that!

Can't wait to see some reports from people who pulled the trigger on these, though.
  • Hey irismg, even if you prefer not to buy from Tirerack.com, their website is very valuable for their tire tests and owner surveys. They have logged nearly 138,000 surveys, reporting on 2.3 billion (that's Billion with a "B") miles of owner experiences with nearly every tire brand and model made. This information can help you decide which tire will work best for your needs (i.e. wet traction, tread life, snow capability, etc.). This is much more than you can get from the local tire dealer. So go ahead and buy local, but use the Tirerack to educate yourself before you buy.

MD
    But, $26K...hm. Nope, about $6K too much. I could get a nicely equipped Tiguan for that!

Really? You feel that the Venza 4-cyl should be priced around $20K?

I considered the Tiguan, but it is a smaller vehicle than the Venza. Although space isn't a huge priority for me, I want something with a little more space than the Tiguan. It seems to be in the same physical class as a RAV4 or a Rogue.

In fact, my thought is the opposite of yours: I think the Tiguan is overpriced at $26K. For that, you could get a Venza. ;)
  • macpromacpro Posts: 52
    Well, it would be poor form for me to go over there during their off hours and break their mirror trying to get it to move, would it? ...

---

You're right, it would be. I didn't realize when I posted about my mirrors folding rather easy that not all Venza's have that option. That's why I love reading the posts on this forum, I learn something new every time. :)
    I didn't realize when I posted about my mirrors folding rather easy that not all Venza's have that option.

I think all Venzas have folding exterior mirrors. Whether or not they are heated depends on whether you have that option.

On a side note, I'm glad Toyota is using larger, foldable mirrors on the Venza. Both the Camry and the Avalon do not have foldable mirrors.
  • The wife and I bought a Venza yesterday. It's V6 AWD loaded with LX, SR, NV and TO packages. Sunset Bronze with ivory leather interior. We paid $33,813 plus TTL at Beaman Toyota in Nashville, TN. I believe the sticker was $38,444.

After two days we are loving it. Very smooth, comfortable ride. It's getting looks and compliments.
  • Checking the Toyota Georgetown, KY production plan and some news alerts, it looks like there will be no additional Venzas produced until about Jan. 12, 2009. Thus far 6348 Venzas have been assembled through Dec. 17 when the plant shutdown for an extended period (usually they just shutdown for the week from Christmas to New Years Day). So if you are hoping your local dealer may have some additional Venzas arriving soon (beyond their current allocation), it may take another month to rebuild the pipeline.

MD
  • marqmarq Posts: 7
    I live in Texas. They have "distributor options" that add to the cost high profit useless items. One salesman told me that Toyota doesn't do custom orders--another said they do. Have you been able to track your order? Are you sure they are not just looking for one like the one you ordered?
    My salesman who sold my wife a car two years ago, told me that a special order would not be a problem, but would take from 6 to 8 weeks after I place it (late January in my case). As a practice, the salespeople will always do a search for a vehicle similar to the the one you want. This serves two purposes, it gets you the car faster and their money quicker. Also, like your "distributor options" (sounds a little fishy to me), they feel that if the car they find only has another $500 to $1000 more of options, it does not matter to most buyers. It does to me, which is why I am ordering mine the exact way I want it. In this economy, no car dealer is going to turn away any business.
    Well, first, whatever works for you is what you should go for. One could just as well say, I could buy a nicely equipped RAV4 or CR-V for that and it'd be the same difference. I should say that I don't really play the "fanboy" game, even though I've driven Toyota-based cars for the last 20 years. A good car is a good car, regardless of brand.

Second, although I don't see where I wrote anything about what Venza "should" be priced, I do believe Venza would be well-priced in the $21-$22K range for the base model. Anything higher than that, as I have suggested, there are other options at better prices. I mean, for $26K, do you buy a Venza or well-equipped Tiguan, or maybe even a Highlander Hybrid? Back in the day, they used to price the Saturn wagon about $1000 higher than the Saturn sedan; in that case, a base Venza should then only be about a grand more than a base Camry. And even then, this would be more than I'd be willing to spend for it unless there were some serious rebates attached.

Which brings me to the final nail in the coffin for the prospect of a new Venza for me. Your own budget may of course be different, but I suppose the best way to sum up what I wrote is that $26K is about $6K more than I would spend on a car....period.

It's all according to personal preference, no matter how you choose to look at it. As far as Volkswagens go, they tend to be pricey by American car standards anyway, but yet cost less than Audis, which VW owns. But is Tiguan too expensive? Not compared to the rest of their lineup, unless you are looking at the Jetta Sportwagen, which is the only cargo-carrying vehicle they have that's smaller and less expensive, and can be had for about $21K MSRP. I believe that size and price-wise, Venza would be more comparable to the Passat Wagon and pricing it like that puts it pretty much out of reach for me.

THAT's what I was trying to put across! :)
    Thanks for the feedback on this car's ride! I would have been surprised if Venza didn't ride better than ANY sport-ute just due to the construction. All SUVs have a stiffness to them to me, depending on how long or short they are

Right now the price of gas is back down to where even premium is a bargain, but I don't think we should be fooled into believing it'll stay that way. In my opinion, one should shop as if the gas price were high. The difference between regular and midgrade is only a few dollars per tank, the price of a carton of cigarettes, say, which in my opinion is not really enough of a consideration. One could perhaps judge the car based on whether it has the right amount of room for you and how comfortable it is. But that said, I do hear what you're saying and felt the same way about the regular vs premium before I saw just how high gas could get! Now I don't have any problem with midgrade or higher gas, especially now that it costs now what I used to pay for regular!

But if you don't mind my asking, was your salesman telling you then, that it's going to be cheaper to buy it now while nobody has any than to wait until they have some in stock? Dealers do tend to put a lot of dealer-added stuff on them that nobody asked for...
    That is a good idea, too! :)
    Pretty! Isn't it nice to see earth tones come back instead of silly M&M colors they'd been using lately? You got a deal off that sticker...wow, that is, I guess! LOL

But yours IS the leather model, though...
    If I get your question right, my salesman who I have previous dealings with, actually said that he expects the price to drop by the end of January perhaps by another $800. He also basically said that there was no savings in buying a loaded in stock car, or ordering one the way you want. By the way, you have two good points, one, most of the Venzas in stock are loaded, the one I test drove had a MSRP of $38K. Second, when shopping for a new car, keep in mind the gas prices will go up again ( good news for Exxon-Mobil stock holders :) )
  • Just bought a new V-6 Venza. MSRP is 33580. We paid 30473 before trade-in, tax, title, doc fee, etc... Options are as follows:
    1) Blizzard Pearl (Special Color charge)
    2) Tow Prep (TO)
    3) Convenience (CQ)
    4) Comfort (LS)
    5) Security (SA)
    6) JBL Stereo/Blue Tooth (EJ)
    7) Carpet Floor Mats and Cargo Net (We had them throw this in)

It was missing the Lighting Package, otherwise it would be a Prem #2. But we're okay without it.

I hate the car buying process.
    We started out where they said they'll sell it to you at invoice. I came back with 29540. I was aiming for a 10-11% discount from MSRP. Salesman leaves for ten minutes to go talk to manager (or whatever). He comes back and says invoice including TDA is 29973 and they won't sell below invoice. I made my first mistake by saying okay, I'll pay that if you include the carpet floor mats & cargo net. I should have just said I won't pay that much to see what he would have said. Oops. Salesman leaves for ten minutes again...Comes back and says, we'll cut the bs and our final price is 30473. We said no way and left. We get a call the next day saying that if we pay the 30473 they'll raise our trade-in value by $500. I accepted.

There you have it. I'm quite sure I could have received a better deal if I was a good negotiator. Which I unfortunately am not. And my wife is worse. But in the end I feel it is in the ball-park of fairness. Or at least that is what I'm telling myself. When they raised our trade-in amount it then matched Edmunds TMV for it. So that's good.

Looking forward to driving our new Blizzard Pearl, Ivory Leather Venza!!
    Second, although I don't see where I wrote anything about what Venza "should" be priced...

You stated "But, $26K...hm. Nope, about $6K too much." in this post. To me, that meant that you felt that the Venza was overpriced by $6K.

But now I think I understand what you really meant -- what you really want is a true base model Venza that starts at $20-22K, rather than a well-equipped "base" that starts at $26K.

I mean, for $26K, do you buy a Venza or well-equipped Tiguan, or maybe even a Highlander Hybrid?

You're referring to a used Highlander Hybrid, right? A new Highlander Hybrid starts around $35K for the base model. Also, the well-equipped Tiguan SE for $26K is fairly comparable in terms of features of the also well-equipped Venza for $26K.

The Venza gets better mileage (20/28 for the 4-cyl AWD, 18/25 for the V6 AWD on regular fuel) versus the Tiguan SE (18/24 for the 4-cyl Automatic 4Motion on premium fuel). Features are likely a wash -- I see things missing on the Tiguan (manual, 1-zone AC; 17" wheel), but I'm sure there's stuff that the Venza is missing.

Which brings me to the final nail in the coffin for the prospect of a new Venza for me.

That's an important distinction, and I understand now where you're coming from. It's not that you feel that the Venza is not worth what it costs. Any car that costs $26K would be out of consideration based on your criteria.

I agree; we all need to purchase the vehicle that's right for our own wants and needs. Based on my initial look, I'm pleased with the Venza and think it's priced pretty competitively. It's high on my list of potential vehicles.