Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza Prices Paid

Comments

• roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Not sure why your grilling me, if you aren't defending Toyota.

But I think Toyota should clean up it's own mess.

Did you read the article posted here in Motor Trend?
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Ravelsben, unfortunately your expirience is not unique, some dealers in some areas do have that attitude and it appears that it works for them. Don't forget that once the cars are in the dealers hands they own it and Toyota has sold that unit (to a dealer and not you) and if they don't sell it is the dealers problem.
    Yu have to keep shopping and if it's needed to travel to get your (fair) price so be it. A savings of a few thousand dollars will make me travel some distance and still put money in my pocket, but each his or her own...good luck keep trying different places and I hope you succed..
  • lisa4labzlisa4labz Member Posts: 13
    The dealer located a Venza we wanted but it doesn't have the JBL audio system which I would have liked. Its in the building stage and was told adding it would be tough and might delay it even longer (scheduled to be completed July 27th) so I guess I'm stuck with the standard audio. I'm not too savy when it comes to car stereo things but is there any aftermarket system that may sound similar to the JBL or is it even worth trying to upgrade?
  • qs933qs933 Member Posts: 302
    One other feature that comes with the JBL system is Bluetooth integration for your phone. As more areas outlaw driving while holding a cell phone (which you shouldn't be doing anyway...), the integrated Bluetooth for receiving and placing calls is pretty slick. Sure, you could buy an add-on, 3rd party Bluetooth car kit, but the ones I've seen are clunky relative to the factory integrated approach.

If I were in a similar situation (and you may have a huge reason to get the car sooner than later), I'd strongly consider delaying it to get the car that I really want. After I listened to the JBL (and also because I wanted Bluetooth), I kept it on my list of options that I wanted (moonroof was a 'nice-to-have' -- and I ultimately didn't get it).

With the right amount of money, you could have an after-market system way better than the JBL. But, if you're like me, you probably just want something better than the stock system.
  • emjay1emjay1 Member Posts: 22
    I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Toyota Venza, leaving behind my -05 Nissan Murano. The Venza styling and price look really good - at least on "paper". Any advice, other than caution negotiating with a dealership? What about the car itself?
  • sherb2000sherb2000 Member Posts: 9
    emjay1

I am doing the exact same deal. 05 Murano for Venza. I hope folks respond. I am almost ready to go. What makes you want the Venza? I would choose Toyota over Nissan any day. Gone are the Nissan/Datsun days of high quality.

While the Venza nor Toyata are flawless, my 11-year-old Corolla is still running just fine.
  • free2runfree2run Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Venza in Westport, CT. Have you tried there? They were willing to negotiate.
  • walktofastwalktofast Member Posts: 10
    still searching for the next car. Working on a deal for a Mazda CX9 but think it will just be out of reach. Going to drive a Venza and Highlander this am.
  • laurie77479laurie77479 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a 2009 Toyota Venza w a moon roof, leather seats, smart key but the quotes are all for the upgraded radio,camera,floor mats & other options that I just don't' need or can afford.
    They claim because I want the moon roof the cars come prepackaged & you can't pick & choose options,is this true? By the way, is the standard radio of good quality or should I bite the bullet on that option & just get it??
    If you can choose the upgraded stereo it is well worth it. I'm hoping the quality of the regular one is ok because my package order wouldn't allow me to upgrade but it also includes the bluetooth technology. I might just order that and have them install it at the dealership and I'm still disappointed that I can't get the JBL.
    I think they are building certain colors with certain features and thats it for now, probably trying not to mass produce them.
  • westchesterwestchester Member Posts: 7
    We were in same situation, factory ordered Venza on 5/23/09 with all options you desired including the JBL system less leather seats, received car 6/30/09. We planned to have dealer install leather seats for $1500, but now reconsidering as the cloth seats are nice.
  • japjjapj Member Posts: 4
    I did the same this week (that is: convenience package and JBL but no leather). The salesman gave me the address where they do the after market leather, so I went to the place and instead of charging me the 1500 the dealer would, they said it would cost me 1000. Like the cloth as well though and am waiting for the first big stain that will push me towards having the leather installed.
    I bought mine in Danvers, MA. They were willing to negotiate. I got the high end Kelly Blue Book value for my trade-in and the invoice price on the Venza (of course they may have allocated things differently internally but I don't know since I negotiated in an 'out the door basis').
    Actually in looking at all the various "crossover" SUV's on the market, they all have a very similar aesthetic (swoopy shape) and pretty close to the same stats, ie MPG, interior space, keyless ignition, all those optional bells and whistles. Makes it pretty good for apples to apples comparisons. At this point I'm looking for user reviews in re the longevity of the various makes, and Toyota seems to have a pretty strong following. I trust the opinions of people who have owned a given car for years over anything the manufacturer says. Of course anyone can get a lemon - so I generally try to get a cross-cut of opinions to go from. I appreciate all the feedback on the Venza. Still pondering my options...
    If mine would ever come in I'd be happy to give you my opinion. Hopefully within in the next 2 weeks its here. Not many on the road so its hard to find people to ask about the vehicle.
  • yurkoyurko Member Posts: 24
    Hi, japj. You mentioned that you got "the high end Kelly Blue Book value" for your trade-in. Those values can vary a lot based upon whether the trade-in is regarded as being in "EXCELLENT", "GOOD", or "FAIR" condition. Supposedly, only 5% or so fall into the "EXCELLENT" category, while most fall into the "GOOD" category. Separating the new car selling price and the allowance for the trade-in -- as you did, was "the high end Kelly Blue Book value" you got for your trade-in based upon an "EXCELLENT", "GOOD", or "FAIR" condition rating?

As a general question to all, isn't it very difficult to get an "EXCELLENT" condition rating for your trade-in? It seems like dealers often make most of their profits from the trade-in's they take -- i.e. they'll nickel & dime down the condition of your trade-in.
    Based on my calculations it was the EXCELLENT value in KBB (which was slightly lower than the TMV on Edmunds for my car but higher than NADA and Blackbook). What I had done is taking the invoice price from Edmunds for the Venza, take the TMV for my car (2006 Mercedes C280) and used that as my reference point. I ended up setting my self a max out of the door amount and stuck to that (even walked away when we were 300 dollars apart.
    Thanks, japj. You were obviously very thorough in doing your "homework" and it looks like you got a good deal. I hope the Venza works out for you.

I'm also leaning towards buying a Venza, but want to see what the new Honda CrossTour (or whatever they end up calling it) is like.
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Lost interest on a Venza in Fort Myers as they had all the nonsense options attached and who wants heated seats in Florida? Anyone else having this problem.
    dturr:

I've seen many Venzas w/o heated seats at Germain Toyota in Naples, but their pricing policy turns me off. When the Venzas first appeared late last year, Germain wanted $4,995 over MSRP for them. Imagine my surprise when I was subsequently told by COSTCO that Germain is their participating South Florida Toyota discount dealer. I later asked a Germain salesperson how they could be charging so much for someone who walks off the street, yet also be the COSTCO-participating discount dealer for the area. His response, "We've gotta make our money somewhere". Go figure.

With respect to the heated seats, we moved to South Florida from Wisconsin last fall and there were a few days when the heated seats on our Honda and Volvo came in handy. Granted, it wasn't often. What I wish is that Toyota offered heated and cooled (ventilated) front seats on the Venza.

In any event, if you belong to COSTCO, you might want to check out Germain. I'm waiting to see what the new Honda crossover is like before I buy.
    In my experience, the only way to get the exact options you want in a car is to order it new from the factory. I have also found that is the WORST deal. I'm sure you know the minute you drive a brand new vehicle off the lot, it drops in value. The manufacturers seem to take a best-guess approach to the options on their production models, and how they decide to distribute them across the country is a complete mystery to me. It's just catch as catch can to find the best combination for you that's available.

And by the way - I vote a big YES for the cooled seats - we're having a major heat wave here in Texas! But very few manufacturers seem to think that's important - I guess because they're not having to get into a parked vehicle that's 150 degrees inside.
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    If car dealers could supply what people want at the right price they would probably increase sales. Toyota with all the silly options they put on do themselves no favors. I have seen Germain marking prices above MRSP and for that reason and others prefer the internet to do a deal. If the consumers tell them possibly they will change. Right car right price that is all most of us ask.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Southeast Toyota(SET). There are many posts in this thread about them over the months. It does no good to tell the dealers anything, they take what SET decides and you take it or not. Most have taken it over the years and you know where. I will not buy a Toyota in Florida.
  • marqmarq Member Posts: 7
    Same for me in Texas--If I buy it will be in the Midwest without stupid distributor optons. I want to see if Honda comes out with a good alternative. Has anyone heard if we can expect one in the Fall?
    I feel the same way as you...I like the Venza but since I am about a year away from buying I will be very interested on what Honda is bringing out. I registered at Honda site for forthcoming news on the release of the new Honda CrossTour or whatever they finally call it. I read that it will be 7 inches longer than Venza and as the spy photos it looks ok...lets see what it really looks like . They are talking release in September as per Honda. One concern to me would be that it is first year realese, even thou is basically an Accord like Venza is a Camry. But still the interior fit an finish has some defects as I read in this forum....will see..Good luck
    I too am interested in what Honda is bringing out. So far to me it is very confusing. At first I saw what was labeled the Tourer that was a wagon like vehicle similar to the Venza. Now I am seeing a Crosstour vehicle that looks basically like a fast back Accord. Not at all to my liking. One report I read said the Venza like Tourer was for the European market only and won't be brought to the US. If this true a swooping flat rear window fast back will not compete for me with the Venza.
    I feel the same as you do....but by the "spy" photos it looks that it may be an alternative by me....but I guess we all will have to wait until September 09....I will be very surprise if they come with something that really comptes with the Venza...to me the Accord is not competition to the Camry...lust my opinion...
  • mommomk59mommomk59 Member Posts: 6
    Laurie,
    When Venza first came out, we were able to "build" our own Venza. I did not want nor desire a lot of extra's. I took the print out to the dealer and said "THIS IS WHAT I WANT", they pooh-poohed me and said I had to have this or that. Well, I said I would go elsewhere, and they finally took my order. I have a basic black, fabric seat (did not want leather have dogs), moonroof, and satallite radio..the end! I did not want a GPS (I have one), I did not want mats (they threw them in), I did not want a camera (wish I did at times). The order went in in Feb. I did not get the car until May - the company seemed to have been pushing this special order to the side, somehow, they could not comprehend..when a customer doesn't want something, the assembly goes to the next person in line...hard concept! I was told the Designers in Japan couldn't comprehend, but, the car is built over here!! What is worth having is worth waiting for...just remember, YOU, the consumer has the say in what YOU want. Don't be bamboozled. Good luck, the car is a dream!!
    Your story is the perfect scnario for consumers regardless of what extras one wants or not. I will dare to say that you were very lucky...and most of all patient...the only problem with your expirience (I should not say problem) is by doing what you did a buyer has a 50 50 chance of getting the car they way the want it (regardless of extras or not).
    By placing an order with a dealer one must placed a non-refundable deposit and that takes one out of the buying market thus probably missing on other opportnunities that may be available, ie: the desired car in another dealer, at possible better price..etc....Once you order you are a captive buyer without any flexibility available to you, of course unless you forgo your deposit...
    In my opinion best bet is to shop around until you get your price or as close as posible within reason, by doing that you preserve the "full power" of the buyer.
    But to each its own, this worked for you and you did not mind the 3 months wait.
    I will be buying a Venza soon but I will never lock myself into a 3 month wait at the mercy of the dealers and their different tactics (ie: someone willing to pay more for ordered vehicle than you gets it..etc this you will never know) until you get a vin # and actual possesion you will never be sure you got the promised car.There are many ways to "divert" your vehicle to another buyer, trust me it happened to me and there is nothing you can do about it.
    But this is my 2 cents..and whatever works fou you should be fine...
    Enjoy the Venza
    I have ordered my aloe vera Venza & have been told to expect delivery on the 12th of August. I am happy to know that by purchasing this vehicle I am helping to keep food on the table of American auto workers in Indiana.
    Thank you everyone for the feedback!
    Congratulations!!!!...that is a short time....only 2 weeks.....on the pricing , could tell me...you pay invoice plus how much over it for placing the order...or how was the price given by the dealer?..thnaks for any help and enjoy the Venza..
  • mommomk59mommomk59 Member Posts: 6
    I understand what you were saying, however, I was not in that big of a hurry for the car, the longer I had to wait, the more I made out, because I would call the salesperson and say, "hey, I was thinking.." and it cost them..not me. Only put $500 down and when I didn't get the car when they said I would, they offered the money back to me. They also gave me the option of "another" venza in their lot...I said only if they gave me it for the same price I was paying for this one. Got the price down to $1000 more than what I was paying (this particular car was loaded to the gills), I told them absolutely not.

The price they offered to me on my trade in was on the low side..I refused as the blue book gave that car a trade in value of $13000, they gave me a price for $11800, I got $12600 for it.

I called several dealers to see if they had the Venza in stock, and they all returned my call, asking to speak to my husband. I was the one getting the car - not him and I do all the wheeling and dealing..he doesn't say a word, he sits there amused.

You really do have to do your homework and not let them do a lot of double talk. I had 3 salespeople in the room with us and they were the ones that cried uncle.

Good luck
    LMAO......LOL......thanks for your reply...you are the second woman that I correspond with that were tough in their negotiations and succeded...good for you both...at least your husband knew your negotiating skills and stayed out.....most of us guys have this "mach" thinkg that inhibits out thinking some times.
    The fact that you had a trade in made things even more difficult, in my case I am buying cash ( no loan and no more leasing for me) and that may make my life more difficult since is less money that the dealer can make and the bargaining process is mopre difficult....but I will try my best.....I am trying to teach my wife in this art....but she beats me in about a 100 others so I can't complaint..this is something that she lets me have fun with...some fun!!!!!..good luck to you....
    Dealer did a locate on a Venza for us on July 2nd and we put $500 down. It was "A" status at the factory and was told 3-4 weeks, now they're saying more like mid to late August. This is not a custom built vehicle - but now we're beginning to regret not placing an order of what we really wanted due to the waiting time. My husband called the dealer and they don't even have a VIN number on it to track it so I have no idea when it's coming.
    We are starting to get a little disgusted; I either would have chose another Venza that was out there or else placed a custom order. Does anyone know the time & process when it's complete at the factory to port then to the dealership?
    My scenario sounded a bit like yours. We were told 3-6 weeks from Indiana to Texas.Fortunately, received notice a vin# had been assigned (last week) & yesterday our salesman sent us word that our Venza would most likely be in town this weekend or on the 1st. 3 week wait for us :)
    I understand your frustration because I have been on your end b4. Just relieved we didn't have a big hassle this time.
    Good luck on your Venza.
  • raysfanraysfan Member Posts: 13
    FYI - Venza's are only manufactured at the Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky. Here is the link:

http://www.toyotageorgetown.com/

Just curious - do you have the actual VIN and proof of the ETA? They should be able to provide you with both.
    I just went through the same run around. We negotiated on a particular model (color, options, etc). I had the salesman write the VIN of that vehicle on the purchase contract as well as stipulate that the sale was contingent on us qualifying for a $4500 CARS rebate and that our deposit would be refundable (contract originally stated otherwise). I was told that they could not get this particular Venza and they would order one that would be here mid-August. Today when I called the salesman he still could not give me proof of an ETA (Toyoto Customer Service told me they should). He then offered me a different color that just came in with the same options I wanted. I checked on the internet and the VIN for this vehicle was the same VIN he e-mailed me on the sales order for the Venza I wanted. He also told me that the vehicle was coming by boat to Jacksonville. I told him that was not true as they are built in Kentucy.

I am going to the dealership tomorrow to get my deposit back. Too many games. And they wonder why sales are down. :mad:
    Nope, no VIN # has been assigned yet. I was told it was 'going to port on July 27th' but I would think the VIN is assigned before leaving the factory.
    With this 'cash for clunkers' thing going on the dealers are so busy so I really don't want to press them but I'm waiting until Thurs. then I will demand to know what's going on.
    Coming by boat to FL? Sounds like the saleperson needs a lesson on how Toyota works, actually it's humorous of them to think you would believe this. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    I went to my local dealership on Saturday. I told the salesman I need a VIN or I want my deposit back. I hung around just outside the sales office door to hear what was going on as the GM and sales manager were there as well. The GM informed me that there were no Venza's in the color scheme (Trop Sea Metallic, Ivory leather) available until the end of August even though my salesman told me it would be here mid-August. I requested a refund for my deposit which they gave me without an argument. I told them if they can produce a vehicle that matches my request with a VIN and will give me $4500 for my trade-in I will be back.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and it is sad that the only Venzas around seem to be in blizzard pearl white, bronze or black. They had a white one that just came in on Friday equipped as I want it but I just don't want white and for over $30K I feel a consumer should get what they want.

BTW - the GM and sales mgr used the term "at sea" to describe the Venza I want. When I questioned the terminology they told me since some Toyotas come from Japan they use this term to describe any vehicle that has not arrived at their regional port (Jacksonville) from the factory. Also they are assigned their permanent VIN when they are allocated to a dealer.

The best laugh of the day was when I informed my salesman that if I cannot take advantage of the "cash for clunkers" rebate that I was going to wait until the 2010 models come out in November. His face turned Barcelona Red! :shades:
    I love the Barcelona Red part.

Frankly, since the Venza did not even arrive in dealer showrooms until quite late, I'm surprised Toyota didn't make it a 2010 model from the get-go. Most other cars coming out that late are classified as 2010's. This isn't a big deal, except that it affects future resale value. A 2010 will be worth more than a 2009.
    Thanks - I am trying to maintain my humor through what has been a major disappointment and one heck of a pain in the butt. You would think with the way the economy has been and car sales being down that dealers would be kissing our feet for even considering a purchase but that does not seem to be the case. Instead of being upfront and honest with me and telling me that a Venza with the colors and options I want won't be available until late August I was fed one lie after the other. The good thing is I have a lot more info for negotiating my deal next time around and I am hoping to save another $500-700.

I just read the 2010's are due out in October so unless the Senate approves more $$ for the CARS program I just may wait. There have been some issues with the 09's from what I have read on various forums including transmission jerkiness, warping dashboards, etc. This can be expected with a first year model. You also have to take into consideration that some people join forums like this to find out if others are experiencing similar problems so the info is somewhat skewed.

I agree that the 2010 models would be worth more but also may cost more - we'll see. I am still hoping to get the $4500 for my 1997 Ford Exploder and drive away in a Tropical Sea Metallic Venza be it an '09 or '10.
    I empathize with you. I can't understand new car dealers, either. When times are good, they don't need you because there's always a sucker willing to play their game. When times are tough, they still treat you with contempt.

Have you thought of trying another dealer? I see you live in the Tampa area. I have heard good things about Earl Stewart Toyota in North Palm Beach, although I have not had any personal dealings with them. We're not supposed to list contact info here, but their website is like their name. If you can't get satisfaction in the Tampa Bay area, you might consider them.

I'm in SW Florida. The 3 Toyota dealers in this area (in Punta Gorda, Ft. Myers, Naples) all love to pile on high profit dealer-installed stuff that nobody wants or needs. Not to mention marking up the MSRP's with ridiculous "Market Pricing Adjustments". Toyota makes great products but needs to instill a little of the Lexus "customer service" mentality in the Toyota dealerships.

If you find another good -- and fair -- Toyota dealer in central or south Florida, please let me know.
  • robfilerobfile Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I had the same problem trying to get my Venza with the options and color I wanted. In the Chicago area, dealers are only interested in selling what is on their lot and not going through the trouble of locating a car for you.

I started calling dealers around Chicago telling them what options & color I wanted and the price I was going to pay. I had financing together but mentioned that if they could beat my credit union I would opt for their financing. At least 90% of them told me the car wasn't available or I'd have to order the car in the configuration that I wanted (4-6 week wait). However one dealer was able to locate a Venza and I purchased the car last Friday (I had a clunker too).

What I learned is that most dealers will tell you they can't find the car you're looking for. This is because they don't have a comparable car to trade off or a good relationship with the dealer that has the car you want.

I hope this helps you find the blue Venza you want, it took me more legwork then I expected but I did get my Venza and in my case $3500 for my clunker.

Good Luck! :D
    I finally got fed up with the run around I was getting. The final straw for me was seeing a white Venza in the on-line inventory for this dealer with the same VIN as the Tropical Sea Metallic Venza with the same options the sales rep e-mailed me. I called Toyota's Customer Service and explained my situation. The dealer's customer satisfaction dept called me today to tell me the Venza I want will be built on 8/12 and will be at the dealer by the end of the month. The other day the sales mgr told me the VIN would be available on 8/12, the date it was to ship. Again two stories, which is true?

Now I get the fun of dealing with the salesman again. Since I have no deposit or contract unless they give me a better deal than I negotiated before I will just walk away and move on.
  • thetilerthetiler Member Posts: 3
    My wife got a Venza Today
    MSRP 34318.00
    Bought for 31708.00
    Muller Toyota in NJ
    I had a work van that I used for a Clunker and got another 4500.00 off
    This is our first Toyota I have been a Ford person all my life
  • wpeasewpease Member Posts: 6
    how much over inovice was it?
    And where is Muller toyota
    ?

I was at Autoland and someone i was with asked ot see the invoice and said that it was the law that the buyer get to see it. The salespeople were not willing...

Any info on that?

thanks
    W.
  • jb_turnerjb_turner Member Posts: 702
    "I was at Autoland and someone i was with asked ot see the invoice and said that it was the law that the buyer get to see it. The salespeople were not willing..."

haha thats waaay too funny.
    How does she like the Venza?
    I know prices vary from dealer to dealer but I also found that trade-in prces can vary too. I don't know if I got the best deal I could on my Venza but I feel I got a very good trade-in price on my car. The other dealership I went to came in almost $1,000 lower so I took that into consideration.
  • stevemnbstevemnb Member Posts: 1
    Got one to, just curious about if you got a 4 or 6 cyl. and the type of options you got. Mine is a 4 cyl. with leather, auto start, JBL 13 speaker audio, blue tooth phone, auto tailgate. Love it, the ride is great on the 19's, haven't met anyone that doesn't like the styling,mileage is great for such a large vehicle. My first Toyota as well. Also got $4,500 from the clunkers program. Thanks Pres!