Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• As I said, I am still not sold on Montana's performance. Your point about the Sienna and the NHTSA scores reinforces my overall point, which is don't take one source as conclusive.

As far as your conclusory allegations about the pretensioners not changing the offset crash test results, yes and no. The same safety cage intrusion would be expected, but I don't think the femur load predictions can be reliably extrapolated. One of the things that an accident re constructionist looks at in trying to set out the kinematics, at least as my limited experience goes, would be the pelvic forces. In fact, I think one of the measures at NHTSA is some kind of force measurement for pelvis I load or some such thing. Now, the lap portion of the belt should function the same regardless of pensioners, but I am fairly confident I'd tear someone up in Court if they were attempting to offer expert testimony saying they could reliably and accurately predict the movement of the pelvis when the torso is allowed different degrees of movement in two different scenarios.

I will have to momentarily defer to you on the side impact and curtain air bags not deploying in the offset crashes, cause I don't know otherwise. But, it seems silly to me that this is the case. An offset crash induces a rotational force because 60% of the car is undergoing a different acceleration than the other 40%, thus an important measure is the travel of the head and does it slide towards the driver door (a pillar, b pilar contact, I believe is the jargon.) Cripes, if this is something that is measured, then why is all of that built in safety sitting there unactivated?
  • galergaler Posts: 3
    Our 98 transport extended van has been pretty reliable until now. We have had some electrical problems - front auto door lock buttons not working due to corrosion of wiring in both front doors (repaired by dealer several times even after warranty ran out), service engine light coming on (readjust gas cap position or fill with gas), seat belt light comes on when everyone is hooked, temperature gauge goes haywire occasionally. However, now with 59,000 miles on it we are told we need to replace the transmission with a remanufactured one (about $2000) or overhaul the existing one (about $1700) because seals are leaking inside. This started about a week ago when shifting from park to drive when van was cold. Wouldn't move - acted like it was still in park. Shifting back to park and then to drive again works. Dealer is offering no recourse and haven't heard back from Pontiac. Have serviced regularly but never changed transmission fluid because wasn't recommended. We bought this expecting it to last 10 years without major problems and have loved it to this point. Anybody else out there with transmission problems on newer transports?
  • I have no information specific to Pontiac, but I can tell you I just 2 weeks ago got Ford to pay an out of Warranty claim by going to NHTSA's site, reviewing the incident reports for my make, model, and year, copying the posts that were about my specific problem, and presenting them to the dealer. There were about 10 posts out of maybe 125 from vehicle owners who had experienced my problem specifically.

Don't look in the TSB section, but rather look in the consumer section.
  • ricric Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Montana and like it a lot. We wanted 8 seats, and didn't want the power sliding door. Accumulating $4300 of AM Card points and paying ~200 over invoice also brought the cost down quite bit.

We have a few minor quirks and wondered if anyone else has the same quirks

1. Wing windows on the sliding doors chatter when open (locked open)

2. the rear window washer pours rather than sprays the rear window. Had the dealer replace twice and still just pours.

The last item. Does anyone know how I can disengage the auto headlight system or know where the sensor is? I don't mean the DRL's. There are many times I don't want the head lights on and would like to have the ability to turn them off.

Other than that, we think the car is great. We had a 91 Transport before and liked it and never had a problem with it (~115000 miles).
  • Does anyone know if the Montana's have Teather Straps for child safey seats? If so what year did they start? I noticed there are hooks on the
    rear seats of the 2001 model, but since they did not actually have the strap i am unsure if they
    actually support a store purchsed teather strao
  • We have really enjoyed our van! One catch, our 1999 Montana is now on its third transmission with a fourth coming soon. The problem was irregular shifting. No locking up as described above. They first tried to rebuild the original. Originally the seals had burned out. The last two times they have put remanufacuter units in. This all started at about 24000 miles. Fortunately it has all been covered by the warranty. We have also seen a new radio because of the display panel and a new gas gauge. We are now negotiating with the dealer/GM in leu of the lemon law.
  • engine12engine12 Posts: 17
    Our 2000 Montana has Tether straps,No Tranny problems yet,Radio was replaced,part of the display would not light up,Gas gauge is fine,Bought ours Nov. 99 and have 31500 miles logged,rear tail lens was replaced due to moisture inside,we are averaging 22-23 miles per gallon mixed driving,mostly highway,love the van and are planning to buy a PONTIAC G/P GTP within the next year,seems pontiac has improved a little and will buy American again after a long period of owning imports.....GM,PLease don't let me down again!!!
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • offhamoffham Posts: 344
    I have Venture 2000 and the headlight sensor is on the top of the dash in a tiny hole next the the red anti theft light.

Of course if you cover it up they will be on all the time. I have looked in the fuse guide but nothing isolates this without disrupting something else. Why is it such problem ?
  • oemmanoemman Posts: 1
    We have our 2001 Montana for 2 weeks now and are happy we got it. My wife and sons wanted a van and I did not. We had a 94 Transport 6 years ago that we liked alot and was a good vehicle mechanically. We decided to test drive the Montana and were extremely happy with it's looks,ride,and features. We love the room and most importantly, the second row captain's chairs really keeps my 2 boys from fighting. Great vehicle!
  • rmillar3rmillar3 Posts: 6
    Hi all Montana owners. I'm now a proud owner of a 1999 Montana. Its second owner to me but in terrific condition. It has all the toys except the video screen. With 43,000 Kms. (26,700 miles) on it, my only concern is the high rate of ware on the General XP 2000 GT tires. These are supposed to be upgraded tires for this year (Edmunds words) but only have between 2 and 3 /32 of an inch remaining from the starting 10/32". Has anyone else experienced this rapid ware and does the tire company cover this premature condition??
  • bhav91bhav91 Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a used 99 montana in the last 30 days, with 25,125 miles on it. They also had the general tires on it. I just took it back to the dealer because 2 tires were so badly cupped that the "whoop whoop" sound coming from them was driving me crazy. They replaced them without cost with uniroyals (which seem ok). The other 2 general tires are also worn down for what I think 25K shouldn't have done. I'll probably not go back to general tires. In the fall, I'm looking at the goodyear aquatread 3's.
  • bhav91bhav91 Posts: 2
    I have just purchased a used 99 montana and I'm impressed overall with everything. I have a question though. The driver side wiper does not stop at the lip(the raised black lip)of the windshield, it actually goes beyond that approx. 1/4 to 1/2 of the entire top end of the blade. I can already tell that it is lowering the life of my wiper blade. Is there any adjustment to the travel distance of the wiper blades? (I also checked, I do have the proper length wiper)
  • mizeumlmizeuml Posts: 50
    I have a 1999 Montana with the General XP 2000 GT tires also. We have about 48,000 miles on the van and our tires are wore out also. They probably have about another 5000 miles in them then I will have to replace them. I am looking at a set of Goodyear Allegra's at Sam's Club, about $64/tire. The General XP 2000 GT tires are suppose to be self sealing tires, but I have had two flats from nails. The tires were fine until I pulled the nails out, then they went flat. I sent the receipts for the repairs to General and they did reimburse me. The raised white letter tires look good on the van, but I can't find any white letter tires to replace these. The Goodyear Allegra's are black walls, but are rated for 75,000 miles.
  • rmillar3rmillar3 Posts: 6
    Good to hear someone else is experiencing a shortfall with General rubber.interesting about the supposid self sealing aspect of these tires. I, as well have been looking at Goodyear Allegras. Our Canadian Tire store up here has them on for 25% off on a set of 4. Good looking tires with a good rating. Funny thing is, these tires aren't even shown on the Goodyear website yet. The Montana gets its first big test on the road this weekend. We're taking a trip out to the Okanogan, central BC. Am looking forward to a comfortable ride.

I'd like to here more from other owners on this General Tire thing.
  • sintrasintra Posts: 15
    I had the same wiper blade problem and they fixed it at the shop. It can be adjusted then.
  • thaesthaes Posts: 3
    This recall notice is on at least the 2000 GM line. The text follows.

Vehicle Description: Mini vans equipped with passenger side power sliding doors. The door closes but may not be latched. If this happens, the power sliding door can open while the vehicle is in motion, particularly when the vehicle ascends a hill, makes a turn, or travels over a rough road surface.

An unrestrained occupant could fall out of the van and be injured.

Dealers will install a new unlatch actuator assembly to the power sliding door. Owner notification is expected to begin during April 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020, Pontiac at 1-800-762-2737, or Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hot line at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT
    (1-888-327-4236).

Campaign Number: 01V067000 Date: Mar-08-2001
  • cheryll2cheryll2 Posts: 2
    Have 2000 Montana. 1 year old. Keyless remote entry not working. Have replaced sending unit once already about 5 months ago. Worked perfectly for awhile--now out again.
    Anyone with same problem? They have checked batteries and tried to reprogram it. Say they need to get into dash and "analyze" the problem.
    What is most likely the problem? Electrical or sending unit again? Why is it going out so often?
  • Went to the 1999 Atlanta Auto Show. I was able to compare all of the minivans. Montana had it all - a little sporty and it was NOT a Honda Odyssey.

I have had a few odd problems with it...
    1. battery started leaking acid causing starting problems.
    2. 31,000 miles and needing new tires already.
    3. rear passenger storage compartment would fill with water after driving in the rain - poor sealing.

But overall, I LOVE my van. Was at Pontiac today checking out the MontanaVision 2001 in black. VERY nice. And again it is NOT an Odyssey. Thank goodness I drive something that has some style!
  • cheryll2cheryll2 Posts: 2
    2000 Montana. Remote Keyless entry system
    has gone out for 2nd time in 1st year.
    Others with problems? Any recalls?
    Do you think it is the sending unit or an electrical problem?
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    Our XP 2000s lasted until about 38,000 miles. I was never really impressed with them, but they held together. Got some Cooper Vipers at NTB.

My question. How do you know when your shocks/struts have had enough? My suspension sounds a little loose over bumps, but I really can't tell if that's normal or not. We're at 58,800 miles on a '97. Great vehicle. Have only had to replace an oxygen sensor at 35,000 miles. And yes, those captains chairs in the back DO separate kids quite nicely.
  • jeffb11jeffb11 Posts: 1
    My 2001 montana has water on the floor (carpet is soaked on insidide by rear passenger wheel)and in the holes for the seats. Has anyone else had this problem ?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,881
    Making a Marketable Minivan

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• barlobarlo Posts: 23
    The water laying in your back jack compartment and carpet is caused by a leak around the wire harness at the top of the hatch. It needs to be siliconed. There were many reports of this in earlier Town Hall discussions. The water comes in at the top around this boot then runs down the inside. If you take it to your dealer, I'm sure he has seen a few of these vehicles with the same problem.
  • robfilmsrobfilms Posts: 5
    i'm looking used and doing my homework.

i know in 98 got chair-mounted side impact air bags. was wondering if anyone can tell changes in 99 models? or 2000 model? or 2001 model?

any and all opinions are appreciated.

tia

rob
  • mikek2mikek2 Posts: 5
    Has anybody heard about particular problems with the 1996 Transport or Lumina APV engines. A posting on another site indicated that they are prone to internal seal breakdown leading to water in the oil and engine burn out. This was the first year GM produced these engines and they modified them in the following years.
  • WE ARE ON VACATION IN MYRTLE BEACH, SC. OUR LOW OIL PRESSURE LIGHT AND VERY ANNOYING NOISE ALERTS HAVE BEEN GOING ON PERIODICALLY SINCE LAST FRIDAY. WE HAVE BEEN TO THE DEALER AND OF COURSE THEY CAN'T FIND THE PROBLEM. IT HAS BEEN GETTING WORSE AND GOING OFF MORE FREQUENTLY. IT RESETS ITSELF IF WE STOP AND TURN THE ENGINE OFF, HOWEVER, YESTERDAY IT STARTED RIGHT UP AGAIN WITHIN A MILE OR SO. PLEASE HELP!! WE ARE FROM CONNECTICUT AND WE LEAVE ON SAT. MORNING. WE CONVINCED THE DEALER TO CHANGE THE SENSOR. THANK YOU.
  • dusterduster Posts: 37
    I have not posted in a long time.
    I had a 1998 loaded Montana. I went to
    arbitration against GM with the help of
    the BBB. I won the case and GM bought it
    back. (brakes failed including master cylinder
    and power door opened). It's nice to see
    so many people happy with the Montana. However,
    be aware that when buying a used one the dealers
    don't always disclose the buy back reasons.
    Although buy backs are rare be careful.
    The dealers sometimes do not report it to the state where the Lemon Law took place. I had someone call me about my van, which a dealer was selling at nice price I advise them of the true nature of the problems with my van.
    The Montana drove and looked nice, but they still have not addressed the poor offset crash test and reliability. Good luck
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,881
    GM minivan recall for mechanical defect in sliding door.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• craig40craig40 Posts: 8
    I enjoyed the review "Making An Marketable Minivan". Very informative, and I have to admit the review rated them the same way I did. I was involved in the purchase of (4) 2000 Montana's for the company that I work for that were to replace problematic Aerostars, and Windstars. After about a year in use the Montana's I am happy to report are doing very well with no problems. You hit it on the head with regards to the hideaway seat in that manufacturers such as Dodge cannot develope a solution for their van. I can't tell you the number of times that I have gone over to help my neighbor to lug out that third row seat because he could not lift it out by himself. What a pain. Thanks again for the information it was a good comparison.

Craig