Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• jboaterjboater Posts: 199
    To 3mmms

In addition to the base price and options you mentioned, the Montana package ($1,010) with the 1SD package ($1,640) plus destination ($570) gets close to the figure your referring to. Edmunds does list these items under the options section. Hope this is of some help.
  • 3mmms3mmms Posts: 3
    To 98XLTSP and jboater

Thank you for your help in trying to figure out these prices. I believe that the pricing is sufficiently complicated that it is not meant to be simple, clearly understood or made easy to calculate.... (The Chevy, right now is the easiest, the Silhouette more challenging and the Transport/ esp., Transport Montana, impossible). Yesterday, hubby and I searched most of the day for a van. Went to at least 5- 6 different dealerships. ( A van marathon search)... I have narrowed it down from the Sienna to one of the GM products (Chevy or Old's) , based in part, on your and other's great input and my daughter's and hubby feed back and van availability. Now, if I can find the right price and a dealer willing to bargain on the price. At one of the dealerships, I found out a reference to " GM Buying Power". This was at Browning Oldsmobile in Cerritos, Ca.. . In the dealership was this huge (at least 3 and 1/2ft. x4ft. with 2 -2/2 inch lettering ) sign designating its pricing policy. It seems that " GM Buying Power" means that the GM corporation has determined certain automobile and option packages pricing returns, which are suppose to reflect a reasonable (fair) cost, a (fair) return or profit to GM, (fair) return to the dealer and yet also be a ( fair ( ha- ha) price to the consumer .
  • 3mmms3mmms Posts: 3
    To 98XLTSP and jboater

Thank you for your help in trying to figure out these prices. I believe that the pricing is sufficiently complicated that it is not meant to be simple, clearly understood or made easy to calculate.... (The Chevy, right now is the easiest, the Silhouette more challenging and the Transport/ esp., Transport Montana, impossible). Yesterday, hubby and I searched most of the day for a van. Went to at least 5- 6 different dealerships. I have narrowed it down from the Sienna to one of the GM products (Chevy or Old's) , based in part, on your and other's great input and my daughter's and hubby feed back and van availability. Now, if I can find the right price and a dealer willing to bargain. At Browning Oldsmobile in Cerritos, Ca., I found out a reference to " GM Buying Power". In the dealership was this huge (at least 3 and 1/2ft. x 4ft. with 2 -2/2 inch lettering ) sign designating its pricing policy. It seems that " GM Buying Power" means that the GM corporation has determined certain automobile and option packages ( MSRP) pricing and returns, which are suppose to reflect a reasonable (fair) cost, a (fair) return or profit to GM, (fair) return to the dealer and yet also be a ( fair ( ha- ha) price to the consumer . The "ultimate" gist of the message was "the prices are what they are and are non- negotiable" euphemistically referred to as a no- hassle pricing. ( I wonder if all of GM is moving in this direction; first with Saturn and at least with this Old's dealer or if this is just one (non-Saturn) GM dealer trying to do the Saturn thing. Also, I'll bet you anything that if you add up invoice cost of the items you'll find a 12 %- 15% profit margin,including dealer hold backs.) I would want to and suggest to anyone to double check figures for accuracy and to verify the "buying power" or package option/offering by any automobile dealer. The figures for base invoice price and options for the Chevy were more simple, straight forward and came out about right. However, the Old's Silhouette had more complicated package option offerings. I used dealer costs indicated on the internet for each of the option items designated in two different packages offered in the GM buying power or preset packages. If the figures I found/used were correct, there was a difference of $250 in one and almost $500.00 in another from what the total would be if you took the invoice cost of the van and added in the cost of each additional option, one by one. The Pontiac's Transport and Montana packages are so generally (vaguely) described and package offerings, so complicated, that it is impossible to relate it to an index and be certain that each item was the same or be able to ascertain that the prices charged actually reflected the goods obtained. Also, I could not find a complete or thorough base index of options and their costs to use. (I wonder if this is also why you nor I can get the figures for the Montana to jive; but had the ($500 + differences). .... I like the grocery receipt ticket, thank you, where each item is itemized and the price is clearly shown. I hope that there is some alternative to this GM Buying Power thing, the package options offering and to the non-negotiable pricing, as I don't see how they are really going to be good for us, the consumer... Also, I really don't understand how dealers can refuse to negotiate a lower price for the automobile.
  • SP8SP8 Posts: 2
    After driving a '94 Pontiac Transport for some time, I have experienced very few minor problems - the biggest one being I had to replace battery in remote. Any Chrysler or Ford drivers able to match this? Forget about Consumer Reports biased testing. Check out how many drivers they have to test drive the many , many cars they say they test in so short a time. Baloney! Motor Week tests a few but over quite a bit of time. I have more trust in this Town Hall Owner's report.
  • Some of the comments in this topic are scary! I am in the process of buying a minivan. The crash test results, consumer reports frequency of repair records, and the list of problems that the previous "chatter" wrote about in a 1200 mile-old Transport make me closer to the Sienna . Are experiences with the Olds Sillouette the same? better? worse?
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    Overall we liked it. It had a powerful
    engine. We did, however, have many reliability
    problems with it. At around 20K miles it
    started consuming oil at an alarming rate
    (fixed under warranty). I would say that
    on average it was in the shop for warranty
    work once a month.

The power sliding door is a great feature,
    and I am suprised that Toyota is the only
    other make to offer this feature.
  • We are looking at minivans and have test drove about all of the models. We like the Honda since the middle window rolls down and the Pontiac for the engine and ride and traction control (and the middle windows at least crack open unlike the Caravan and Sienna). Worried about Pontiac reliability and have read the responses above.
  • Do you think there is variation amoung the GM "family"? Is the Olds more reliable? Mechanically it is the same, but is there a build quality difference?

I have looked at both the Silloutte and the Montana. Clearly aimed at different demographics. The Montana is more sporty, but not as "finished" looking inside. The leather seats also seem nicer in the Olds. My wife likes the exterior looks of the Montana better, though.
  • Just bought a 98 montana three weeks ago. Love the way it drives. Have had a few problems though. During the first week, the radio died. Since they were back-ordered, the dead radio remained in my car. During the following two days, I had to have the van jump started twice--seems there was a short in the radio which drained the battery. The dealer was able to fix all the problems and so far (knock on wood) there have been no problems (which is good considering I only have 700 miles on it). I have a three year lease on this van---I may be back to Volvos in 2001.
  • BACBAC Posts: 1
    I had a 96 Windstar 2 Yr lease. We are now looking to buy the Transport Montana. We looked at the 98 Windstars and although they are cheaper to buy,the Transport diff has a nicer look. The Windstars quality in our opinion has dropped. Ford wet cheap with the new vinyl/cloth seats use to be all cloth. Cup holders look and are made cheaper. We owned a Windstar GL-loaded and compare the Montana to the GL. Over all the GL's quality was cheaper center console had gaps between dash and console . Aluminum wheels aren't as nice either. But, I do have to say the Windstar was a GOOD van. Ford has just dropped a notch with quality and apperance and lost our business and they couldn't offer 4 door access either.
  • I am looking for input on the Montana or Silhouette. My lease of 96 Windstar is over in
    March. I love the van, never had any problems with it. It is solid and powerful. But I have over $5k
    on my GM card and a dilemma.
    Looking for moral support (or warning) in buying the above vans! Please HELP!
    Thank you.
  • pimmopimmo Posts: 2
    I am looking for some opinions from current 97/98 Transsport owners:

If you have the 2nd row captains chair option, will they safely hold a baby seat?

On the models without the optional rear A/C, are there heater outlets in the rear?

Is the CD/Cassette option worth it?
  • Dear Soodien-
    Thanks for your message. Frankly, it is this type of thing that has me most concerned. I have had a Volvo myself before (wagon with over 140k miles, sold it to a FRIEND!, who kept it for another 75k miles). I now have a mazda mpv with 130k on it, and still runs well. I hate to spend money on something that will not last me a good 8-10 years. I like most of what I see in the GM products, but the reliability still has me scared.

Thanks,
  • minivanman,
    you're very welcome. Have had no problems in the last week... I really do like the way the transport looks and drives, but I am pretty sure I wouldn't buy it again. Just don't have that feeling of reliability I did with the volvo. Now if Volvo could only design a car that would have enough leg room for my two almost 6 foot kids and my 6'6" husband!!! Good luck.
  • mecmec Posts: 3
    We are considering the Transport after test driving the Chevy Venture. Their main fault is you need to be a contortionist and VERY strong to adjust the passenger side seat. They do not even have an option of an electric seat for those of us with arthritis or are getting older every year. We will test drive the Transport tomorrow. Because of poor service with our Mercury we are not interested in that product. Are their any thoughts on the seat problem?
  • Just got back from a week in Orlando. Had the pleasure of renting a 98 Transport. We hauled 5 adults & 2 infants for 500 miles. Only complaint: no cupholders for 2nd row.

Had lots of power & handled great. Since it only had 1200 miles, It was in great shape & we did not experience any reliability problems.

We have now decided to lease 1 of the 3 GM mini's.
  • minivanman/sodien- I have 1988 Volvo740 Turbo with 511,000 miles on it. I have never had a day of trouble and iwll NEVER part iwth it- now only if they'd make a mini-van!

mec- If you are stuck on getting one of the GM vans I would try the Oldsmobile Silhouette. I belive it offers a power passender seat. If you're willing to look at other, go look at the Chrysler Town and Country which nots only has power but heated front seats also! :) MY only concern is recommend the GM vans other then reliability is the dismal crash test performance. In the off-set crash the front dummies were basically killed. I just tend to want my family to be safe.

Jon
  • we bought a '98 Transport (now have 1200)miles and we have been very pleased.....we receive many compliments on the styling and looks of the van (it is a Montana package)......the van has a great amount of power due to the V-6 engine ....we bought the 8 passenger seating package although we wanted the captain's chair package at first. We are glad we obtained the 8 passenger seating because we move children all of the time and it has been invaluable...entry into the rear seats is easy. Those that are concerned about reliability should purchase full warranty package. We did research and comparisons on this website and the Transport was our winner !
  • Garrylyn-
    It was barely number one, only one point seperated the 4 vans. Having participated in that review you are talking about, some of the other editors at C&D and I, felt it should not have won because of it's poor crash test performance. It is after all not a sports car and a family hauler.

Jon
    "The Roaming Host"
  • Hi,

Maybe some of you have some experience with dealers on the new 98 Transport Montana's.

I have done all my research and have come down to buying time. Have gotten one quote from autovantage at $250 over invoice but have not had a chance yet to see the dealer and find out if the price is quoted after deducting out the 3% dealer hold back and the "advertising fee". All the "experts" seem to say that you can by from a dealer with out paying for those charges.

A local dealer has agreed to sell at 250 over invoice but will not budge on taking out the 3% holdback and advertising. This adds up to almost $1100-1200.

Has anybody had any luck in getting the vans or any other cars with out paying for hold back and and advertising.

Thanks