Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• ken41ken41 Posts: 4
    A year ago I heard that Pontiac was going to offer AWD in the 2002 model. I see that the Aztek already has it. Does anyone know if the Montana is on schedule to get it too?
  • sk13sk13 Posts: 1
    When I place may 200o Montanta in park and let go of the brake, the van often rolls about 8 inches. Is this normal?
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    Versatrak will be offered on extended length Montanas for 2002.
  • bprice4bprice4 Posts: 3
    My passanger side mirror on my 2000 Montana will not stay in adjustment so I finally took it in. When I told the Svc Mgr he shook my hand and said he has the same problem on his. He replaced his miror, but still has the problem. One would think Pontiac would put a fix in for this problem because the impression I got was "just live with it". He said he would order a new one, but he doubted that would help. Any ideas out there from anyone other than Pontiac!
  • mizeumlmizeuml Posts: 50
    I had the same problem on my 1999 Montana. The passenger door mirror always lost its setting when we closed the door. I had the mirror replaced and it fixed the problem for a while. Then the replacement mirror started doing the same thing. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced it again. This mirror has been doing pretty good. It has not had any problems yet has went longer than the two previous ones. The driver side mirror has always been fine. Have them replace it and maybe you'll get lucky.

Good luck!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    "New minivans prove GM hasn't lost the edge."
    link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dlubindlubin Posts: 66
    I have a '99 Montana 7 passenger with its lease about to expire. The buyout is pretty high ($18k), but the car only has 11,000 miles on it. It's got the touring package, cd, etc etc.

Should I buy it, or look at an '01? Were there major changes?

Major dislikes include brakes, a radio that won't adjust volume properly, and a bit rattly interior.

Likes include the steering, power, and that unbelievably useful air compressor.

Opinions??

-Dan L.
  • rbb2rbb2 Posts: 70
    There are a few changes on the Montana. The most significant is the fold flat 3rd row with stowage center behind it. This is very useful and the 3rd row and stowage can be removed if needed.

There is also the rear parking aid and a new stereo. My understanding is the cupholders are sturdier in the new models also. Both sliding doors are now power. Also, with the 2001 you get Onstar for 1 year free which includes 30 minutes of free phone calls a month. It's pretty cool.

It would be in your interest to explore the possibility of a new one. Especially because they are offering 0.9% financing up to 60 months or $2000 cash back.

You can build a vehicle at www.gmbuypower.com and even search dealers inventory for the exact one you are looking for. I spent a lot of time there prior to our purchase.
  • ajk2429ajk2429 Posts: 1
    Most significant thing with my purchase of the Pontiac Montana was that I bought GM. I swore I'd never do this, but quite frankly, was impressed with this one as well as the Chevy Venure, which is essentially the same van.

Only disappointment was the Dealer installed TV system--the VCP was put in under the rear seat. The Chevy Warner Brothers edition has it in the front console under the CD player on the floor and that was my expectation when I had the new TV put in. I can live with it, however.
  • galergaler Posts: 3
    I previously posted a message (#392) regarding transmission problems with a 98 TransSport at 59,000 miles requiring replacement or overhaul. The service manager has told me there will be a service bulletin released shortly concerning transmission problems with the TransSports/Montana. We have still not had ours repaired since we are waiting on the release of this bulletin. Anybody else hear anything about this? I have sent a letter to Pontiac customer assistance - no response, not even acknowledging receipt of the letter. The regional rep has not been any help at all. The service manager expects him to show up on a certain day and he doesn't, no explanation or notice of when he will show up. Does he really exist? I am really disgusted.
  • michgndrmichgndr Posts: 160
    I now notice a humming sound coming from the front of my Montana. It's audible in front of the driver's seat, and can also be heard from outside when the vehicle is at idle. Doesn't seem to change intensity or frequency as the vehicle speed changes. The Montana is a '97. Almost sounds like it's coming from the area of the brake system.

Any thoughts?
    Just about to pick up our new 'family truckster' - a 2001 Montana with Montanavision, and was wondering if you can add a TV tuner to the system. Also, what have you used to play DVD's? Is there a player that can be mounted under and wired into the VCP?

-Dan
  • dfairdfair Posts: 2
    We are looking at purchasing a 2001 Montana with the 1SG package (sporting package w/o Montanavision). On Pontiac's website, at Edmund's, at Kelly Blue Book, at the display at the dealer, etc: - it says that after Jan. 01, the driver's side power sliding door is STANDARD with the 1SG package. Fine. Yet, when you actually go out and look at the sticker on these vehicles, you find two types of Montana's with the 1SG package:

1) No power driver's side door at all (does this mean that this vehicle has been sitting here since before 01/01?)

2) It has a power driver's side door, but it isn't listed as standard w/ the 1SG package, it's listed as a $350 option.

I don't understand the discrepancy between Pontiac's own information and the actual window stickers. Is it likely I could argue my way out of the additional $350 for an alleged "standard" feature?

Finally (sorry 'bout the long length): a second question. I'm having a little trouble finding a local dealer with exactly what I want - I found one that has exactly what I want, except it also has the $165 towing package. What exactly is in this towing package and is it a big deal to get a Montana w/it and never use it?
    We're picking up our 1SJ tomorrow, and in our search have only seen 1 or 2 vans with dual power doors. Dual power doors was supposed to be (like the 3rd row folding bench) a midyear production change.

The specifications (according to the brochure and website I see) list a sliding drivers door, but not power. Power drivers door is even optional on the silhouette premier - so I'd expect it to be on the Montana as well (even 1sG/J)

Regarding the tow package - I wish I had it, but keep in mind that production has stopped on Montanas - availability is limited to whats in the field. The package provides the wiring harness, and (why I wanted it) heavy-duty oil and transmission coolers - no trailer hitch. I think it may help with reliability if you intend to keep the vehicle a while (which I do).

Hope this helps,

-Dan
  • dfairdfair Posts: 2
    That helps a lot! Another weird thing is the one dealer seems to only have "older" 2001's as compared to this other dealer (maybe after the production change). For the exact same vans, they have a different "Standard Vehicle Price" on the window sticker: $29,800 for the 1SG vs. $29,580 for the EXACT same thing - this is before any other options or the destination charge is added. They also have a $10 difference on the destination charge.
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    The driver's side power sliding door was going to be ready for January production and included in the 1SG and 1SJ packages. When it was not ready until April production, Pontiac dropped it from the 1SG/1SJ packages and became a option on any package except 1SC for $350.
    The difference in window sticker prices is because of price increases throughout the year. 10/20/00 $10 Destination. 1/26/01 $115 base price. 3/2/01 $105 base price.
  • stukesmdstukesmd Posts: 1
    My'99 with 54,000 miles developed a tapping noise in the engine after a cold start. It disappears after about two minutes. I took it to the dealer and was given two technical service bulletins on this condition (57-71-06A and 57-61-24A). GI's explanation is that "under normal design tolerances, when the piston pin bore is produced at the maximum tolerance and the piston pin is produced at the minimum tolerance (min-max tolerance) trace noise levels can occur. This level of noise does not affect the reliability or durability of the product." The dealer told me there was no guarantee that if these parts were replaced that the noise would disappear and also that since my van was out of warranty the fix would be at my expense. I am learning to live with it.
  • edinmdedinmd Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2002 Montana and have never owned a minivan before. Does anyone know how the safety ratings are on the 2002 model or if they will be improved over the 2001 model?
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    So far it looks like the only major change to the '02 GM minivans is the availability of (optional) AWD. Structurally they will remain the same and as such, the NHTSA and IIHS offset crash test results should still apply. FYI, the GM minivans used to be sold in Europe as the Opel Sintra:

Here are a few links for you to look at:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/Ncap6/OPEL_Sintra/OPEL_SINTRA.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1566.html

Curious as to how the NHTSA full width test differs from the IIHS offset crash test? Have a look at these links:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/def.htm

http://www.crashtest.com/explanations/nhtsa/usncap.htm

"Full-width and offset tests complement each other. Crashing the full width of a vehicle into a rigid barrier maximizes energy absorption so that the integrity of the occupant compartment, or safety cage, can be maintained well in all but very high-speed crashes. Full-width rigid-barrier tests produce high occupant compartment decelerations, so they're especially demanding of restraint systems. In offset tests, only one side of a vehicle's front end, not the full width, hits the barrier so that a smaller area of the structure must manage the crash energy. This means the front end on the struck side crushes more than in a full-width test, and intrusion into the occupant compartment is more likely. The bottom line is that full-width tests are especially demanding of restraints but less demanding of structure, while the reverse is true in offsets".

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bprice4bprice4 Posts: 3
    When driving my 2000 Montana I can hear water sloshing around somewhere in the back and it is not the gas tank. Dont know if its in the sliding doors or somewhere else. Have not taken it to the dealer yet. Anyone else have this problem?