Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• dalrd,
    I don't know if you still use this website, but I have the exact same problem with my 2001 Pontiac montana. The passenger side quit working some time ago, and since I rarely have passengers in the front, I put off fixing it. Now the unthinkable has happened.... the driver's side has gone as well, and my window is stuck down.
    I'm wondering if you replaced the switch yourself, and how much the part cost. Also wondering the best place to pick one up...

Cheers!
    Regine
  • dave95dave95 Posts: 1
    I'm currently in Germany and have a 2000 Montana, which cut out on my wife one day. The van didn't start and I towed it home to fix. I discovered the wire harness underneath on the left side had a slight corrosion problem so I cleaned it out and added silicone grease to seal out moisture. I've visited this sight after the transmission would shift hard and learned of all sorts of problems ya'll have had and I just want to give some helpful info. to anyone who could use this fix for the fuel pump. I read a woman had paid to have this repaired three times. I feel the honest mechanic in the states is rare and it might have been the same problem. I took two days to think through the electronics of this vehicle and wouldn't except that the pump could go out so soon.

I also baby the trans through the shifting when it gets hot to prevent that hard shift. The codes match up to my Haynes manual and it is internal on the transmission (transaxle). It's cold weather season here so as long as we don't drive very long distances and abuse the trans all is well. We will be going to Texas this summer so I'm thinking this will cause that transmission to go, excess heat won't dissipate quick. But this problem has been around for a year and a half now. I'm getting my money out of it first.

I've had the wiper blade clash, the driver window drag, air bag light, service engine light (with the trans hick-up) and now the PWR STR system is starting to leak.
    I've only got just over 40,000 miles and I think that all the electronics that are supposed to help the mechanics troubleshoot and repair our problems quickly are the very things causing the problems.
    Just remember, you only need: fuel, air and electricity to keep a vehicle running.
    But with all these problems, I check out the van, pull a fuse or disconnect a harness or a fuse, jiggle a cable and the lights go out over time.
    Try it and buy a Haynes manual to save some money.
  • I have a 2005 Montana that has recently been giving me some trouble in starting. It starts every time (I guess I should count my blessings :) ), but sometimes we have to keep it in the "start" mode for a few seconds before it actually catches. Even then, it sputters or coughs when first running. Yesterday, the dealer said nothing was wrong. Not accepting that, I took it to a shop for a tune-up, thinking this sputtering/coughing was due to buildup on the spark plugs. The shop said there was definitely something wrong and it shouldn't be driven until fixed. Well, back to the dealer, where (glory be :surprise: !) it acted up for the service rep. He then said it was some type of relay that kicks in to keep the starter from burning out and doesn't hurt the vehicle at all - in fact protects it (starter). Considering the vehicle only has 21,000 miles, this seems strange that a starter relay would already be kicking in. Has anyone out there heard of this problem? Am I looking at early starter burnout because this relay is already kicking in?
  • slowmo2slowmo2 Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2002 Venture WB that has all four of the wireless headphones, but is missing the dvd remote. While dvds can be played and stopped without the remote, none of the other features are available. I believe the remote is the small triangular shaped one, and might have been made by Audiovox. Could any of you fine readers look at the remote in your 01-02 GM minivan and find a GM part number? It may be inside the battery cover. I know they can sometimes be found on Ebay, but I have searched it exhaustively and will have to wait for several days to see if one gets listed. I have also tried to Google it with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
  • I started to have problems with van shifting hard after becoming warm. Also noticed a very small water leak from lower intake manifold. Once I replaced the intake manifold gaskets the shifting problems stopped. I believe the temperature sensor for engine caused the transmission to be shifted hard.

I hope this information is helpful to others with the same hard shifting problems. I also replaced the thermostat and all the spark plugs and wires. This was done because of them being hard to access. The van runs as good as new.

:)
  • cal240cal240 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2000 Montana. Loss of coolant and cold AM valve tick. Dealer says Head Gasket replace at $1500Cdn. Probably more if gunk found. Van has 69,800 km .

Did the dealer contact GM for participation or did you go direct? Do you have a name? Thanks for any input.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    We have a 2005 Montana Sport. It's been a great van and I love the white lettering on the wheels but now there is some white coming out on the tires where black should be.

Has anyone been able to fix this or touch them up and if so, what did you use? Thx.
  • mark1968mark1968 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana that has had all the same problems that yours had-the bad news is the intake & trans problems ARE NOT related-the usual cause of the shift problem when warm is the shift solenoid, which is easily repaired at your dealer for arount $400-$500-this should correct your problem
  • vnpvnp Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Montana which has had a couple of O2 sensors burn out, which, in turn, has caused me to have to replace my catalytic converters twice. What the actual problem is, is that my transmission is not shifting into overdrive. Too much fuel is being dumped into the motor and not being burned, and it is burning up my catalytic converters. I will have to replace my transmission.

Has anyone else had problems with their transmissions not shifting into overdrive?
  • lenwicklenwick Posts: 23
    The only thing that i don't like is the speed control looks as they forget to put in in then put a stupid lever under the steer-wheel my knee hits it and turn it off
  • cdamechcdamech Posts: 31
    GM Sells Blower Motor Resistor $90 CDN. After Market supplier sells it for $60 CDN. The Blower resister is located tycially under the front Dash between the Passenger and the middle part. Takes about 20 to 30 minutes to replace if you can get to the resistors.
    I have a 97 transport and have the same problem. For heat I turn to 3/4 max to hot. For vent I turn to full hot. AC does not work anymore. What did you end up doing on this problem?
    I had the same thing happen on my 97 Transport. They replaced the head and GM paid half. Personally, I think it is the Dealer Service REp and the Mechanic team being on a Service Sales incentive program and I do not like GM system to get innocent customers to pay for their problems.
    I have since then mixed my DEXCOOL with Anti LEak product for Radiators to prevent further leaka and deteriation. IT is at 290K Km and going strong today. By the way, I do not take my VAN to GM Dealers anymore. I do all my maintenance including Oil, Brakes and Transmission Fluid Filter.
  • pender98pender98 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Montana and the wheel covers squeak when going slow through parking lots. What can I do to fix.
  • I don't know much about the Montana but the '91 Transport we own and still drive has been the best car we ever owned. Purchased as a Hertz rental in Oct of '91 with about 1800 miles we have driven it for 287,00 miles on the original engine and transmission. Still running strong today though a little slower on acceleration. Consistent maintenance, oil and lube etc. What I would call normal wear and tear; replaced water pumps, radiator, generators, batteries, never any "major" repairs. Very happy with the car, so happy in fact that when we say a 1990 Transport for sale in the paper we went right out and bought it!

shuttlecraft
  • cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Posts: 52
    I have an '01 Montana and just had the lower intake manifold gasket replaced. 3 days after I took the car out of the dealership, the 'Trac Off' and ABS lights remain on (it went away once when I parked the car and restarted, but it remains on all the time now) and now the 'Service Traction System' warning shows.

Could this have happened because of the manifold gasket job? (Read: could I get the dealership to fix it for free) Or is this just a coincidence?

If it's a coincidence, anyone know how much the repair will cost?
  • boga228boga228 Posts: 50
    I have the same problem with the tranny what the dealer told me that it happens to some vans. How much did is cost to repair the tranny? I haven't repaired my tranny yet.
  • SINCE NEW, MY MONTANA'S DOOR LOCKS HAVE ALWAYS UN-LOCKED WHEN I SHUT OFF THE ENGINE. JUST RECENTLY THIS HAS STOPPED. (THEY STILL LOCK WHEN I PUT IT IN GEAR.) CAN ANYONE SHARE WITH ME HOW TO REPAIR THIS PROBLEM WITHOUT HAVING TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALERSHIP?
  • i have a 1999 montana and for the last 6 to 7 months i have had a problem with it shutting down when i apply the brakes to stop at a corner or to slow down in a curve. it doesn't do it all the time. it will happen once then won't do it again for a few days. i don't lose electric in the car the motor just shut off as if you turned the key. i have had both crank sensors changed but it still doing it. if anyone had this problem and found out how to fix it i would appreciate your help. i don't want to change the ignition modular if i don't have to, it's too expensive. my e-mail address is hlyal@aol.com tks al
  • lothar15lothar15 Posts: 1
    You dont know what problems are ,till you see my list.GM should be ashamed . I have a 2002 Silhuette.
  • I have had a problem with my 04 Montana in that when I am driving through the parking lot of a store at around 5-10 mph, the van will sometimes die. It has happened around 6-7 times since we have owned the van. When it dies, I stop and put it into neutral and it starts right back up. I have taken the van to the dealer and they dont know what is causing the problem and cannot reproduce the problem. Any suggestions, tune-up maybe? The van has 46K miles on it (I am in the Navy, living in VA with family in WI, KY, and GA we visit).
  • boga228boga228 Posts: 50
    can you be more specfic? Like when you press the brakes doe's it die? Engine running rough when dieing, doe's it feel like the transmission not down shifting into lower gear? because if it doe's not downshift into lower gear the engine will die. is your transmission running smoothy?
  • bikeralbikeral Posts: 6
    have you had any problems with the tranny? with my 99 montana i had to have the tranny rebuilt and about 6 months later my problem started. intermitten at first maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks it would happen. now about 3 or 4 times a week. it always happens as i slow down and step on the brake the motor shut off as if i turned the key to the off position. i changed both crank sensors but still it happens. there is an ignition module that can be changed but it cost about $300 and if is not the cause i would rather not spend it. i have had responses to my inquiry one thought was that it might be a leak in the brake booster and the sensor is shutting the motor down, but i don't see why it would. if you do find out the cause of the trouble i would appreciate a shout at hlyal@aol.com and if i find the culprit i'll do the same for you. biker al
  • I havent had any problems as of yet with my tranny....It seems to only happen when I am cruising through the parking lot of a store like Wally world or the grocery store. The van runs fine with no missing or hesitation and we are still getting decent gas mileage. I am normally doing like 5 mph and idling. It just doesnt happen on a regular basis.
  • I am stumped by the problem I am having now with my lower brake lights. I just replace the lens cover and the circuit board/sockets on the driver's side because I had cracked the lens cover and water was getting into the cover. I have no lower brake lights but my third brake light is working fine. Turn signals and tail lights are working just fine as well. I replaced all the bulbs with brand spanking new ones as well. Any suggestions before I go and spend a bunch of money at the dealer? Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • bikeralbikeral Posts: 6
    the reason it's only happining in parking lots might be because you are driving slow. it happens to me also when i slow down to about 5 mph. i have been told alot of different possibilitys. i'm leaning towards a possible problem with the tranny not shifting down to the low gear. i had the tranny rebuilt by aamco and still have the warranty from them. i spoke to their rep and he said it's not the tranny but i think he doesn't want to admit to it being the tranny.
  • An update to my problem....I bought a new socket/circuit board for the driver's side from a Chevy dealer (Pontiac wanted $79 and I got it from the Chevy guy for $42..same part number and all) The passenger side brake lights now work but the driver's side still do not come on. I have replaced the bulbs. What would cause this type of problem? :confuse:
  • We had a 2001 Montana about a year ago. The head gasket was about to go on it after having numerous problems. Got rid of it and bought a brand new 2005 Kia Sportage. Have had no problems anymore. Will never buy GM crap anymore, nor American crap! The Koreans are the way to go, quality, value, performance, and low prices!
  • mztaknmztakn Posts: 1
    bought it in 2003....replaced the tranny 4 months later...at 65000 miles...replaced the rear window washer motor twice..drivers side window went down and not back up three different occasions...windshield wiper motor replaced and the timing is off...the vcr/tv stopped working after a year...the automatic sliding door was fixed twice and still won't work....ball joints replaced last month....went through three sets of brakes....must I go on?
  • pjk2pjk2 Posts: 7
    You must have bought it from someone who didn't take care of it .. like a lease owner..like my brother who leases vehicles... he doesn't care .. he only drives it for three years .. beats it and no oil changes who cares.. he's getting rid of it any way.
    I've owned my 99 Montana since new... as reliable as any vehicle ... very little problems... my sisters Honda cost her more in one year in maint than my Montana did in the first 5 years. You are taking chances when buying used cars... it all depends on how they took care of it.. it's hard to know.