Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    I'm getting about 15 in the city (some stop and go) and we did a 3 hour trip on the highway doing about 65-70 mph and got around 21.

I don't speed up fast and I'm not aggressive at all (I have a family) so I'm a bit disappointed. Hopefully it will get better. It's nice warm weather so mileage should be at it's best now which is what scares me, especially with gas prices where they are.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Posts: 461
    I own a Silhouette 02 and this past weekend I was getting 31 mph doing 65-70 mph. I usually get around 24 mpg in the city and that's more stop than go. Check your tire pressure.
    Will do though it looks fine.

The tank of gas I'm on right now seems to be burning a bit slower than the last, maybe I had some bad gas. Will report back in a few weeks.

I am happy with the smoothness and quiet of the 3.4L though. Some people have said it's not very refined but compared with the DOHC V6 in our Intrigue, I don't find it much different. Perhaps it's well isolated in a big vehicle?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,039
    '05 pricing info is up:

2005 Pontiac Montana

Steve, Host
    Wow, this is a quiet area. Anyway, the last tank of mixed driving yielded about 20-21 MPG so it's much better. Need to go for a long highway ride and see if I can get close to the 26-27 I should get. Seems like some of the 3.4Ls may need a bit of breaking in.
    2005 Montana? I thought 2004 was the last year?
    Beats me - since you're hanging out over in 2005 Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza, what's the scoop?

Steve, Host
  • montanafanmontanafan Posts: 945
    GM will be building a run of the previous generation vans as 2005s from May '04 to Sept '04 before switching over to the new generation vans, also as 2005s.
    Thanks, Montanafan - that makes sense.

Steve, Host
    It makes sense to who?

I don't see why GM would confuse everyone with a run of Ventures and Montanas?

Oh well, whatever.
    Nissan did something similar with the Quest. They didn't have an '03 Quest while waiting for the revised '04, but they still managed to sell some '02's in 2003.

Steve, Host
  • zitfacezitface Posts: 6
    As some others I have had trouble with my drivers side power window. After some investigation it seems the actuator is shot. Since my research someone broke out the window also. I have found parts. Is replacement of these parts (window and actuator) within the realm of a do it your selfer? Any tips or howto's on doing the task? Thanks in advance!
  • zitfacezitface Posts: 6
    Clips can be purchased at any auto parts store. Usually a pack of 4 to 6. Take an old one with you. There are lots of different sizes.

p.s. Did you have to replace your window actuator? Mine is shot.
  • My 99 Montana has recently developped a problem which stumps my mechanic. The automatic load levelling system seems to have stopped working. I can no longer hear the compressor engage after I start the engine. It appears that the shock on the left side has been inflated or whatever it is that happens to shocks to its very maximum, raising the rear end of the van and is not releasing. This causes severe thumping and bumping and makes for a very rough ride. Mechanic can release the shock manually (I do not know how he does that!) but then, a few days later, the same thing happens. Has anyone run into a similar problem and what can be done to fix it?
  • mikek777mikek777 Posts: 3
    I have the older style Chev Lumina with a 3.4L engine in it. (1st year for that engine I think) I have had very few problems with it. It has been a good vehicle. I got the intake gaskets changed at 170,000 kms due to leaks and changed the transmission at 105,000 kms. Those are the only 2 big problems I have had. It now has 185,000 kms on it and it seems very reliable. The plastic body keeps it looking good even though they salt the roads like crazy around here in the winter. The modular seats are still a great idea as it makes a very good hauler. It is so easy to create a completely flat floor for hauling stuff to the cottage and then switch back to haul the kids around.
  • Thanks for the tip, Steve.

I just posted there as well.

Anka
  • bill221bill221 Posts: 8
    have a 2002 silhouette and am amazed how stiff the horn button cover is on the steering wheel, was hoping that a few yrs time and even warm summer weather would soften them up, but coming up on 2 yrs old and still very hard to work the horn, so hard its got to be a safety problem. anyone have any solutions? i'm hesitent to try any kind of chemical to attempt to soften up the plastic, since any changes to the plastic would probably affect the workings of the airbag if it ever had to deploy. any montanas have this problem? any solutions?
    Our 2004 Montana horn is a little stiff, but not much more than anything else I have driven. I find it's a common complaint since air bags started started being installed though.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Posts: 461
    I believe it just depends on the car makers design. I have a 02 Silhouette and I have to press very hard to make the horn sound, but my 00 Sebring is so sensitive that I just have to lightly tap and the horn will sound. I much perfer the Sebring horn set up while driving.