Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• richardp2richardp2 Posts: 4
    I had the same problem on my 1998. The track that the window follows gets bent easily. Also the lining that seals the window got clogged up in the track and caused my problem. You will want to fix this either yourself or a mechanic as a replacement is a dealer only item at $500+ !!!
  • richardp2richardp2 Posts: 4
    Recently I have had a problem with the A/C fan NOT blowing out of the A/C vents. The fan is blowing and is blowing out of everywhere but the vents. Could this be a vacuum hose problem??? (I have checked the fuses and they are all OK).
  • The last month, when driving , the car picks up momentum like someone floored the gas. Wondering if it could be a cruise control problem.. scary thing, as we live in Florida for 6 months and connecticut for 6 months of the year. It's a 2000, and we havent had many issues with it. Still looks like new......
  • brewdogbrewdog Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem on a 2002 montana, only the condensor has blown out at 50,000 miles and 65,000 miles. $800 each time (north jersey prices). There is some problem with the closed system in the car that increases pressure.
  • canuck17canuck17 Posts: 28
    Purchased a 2000 Montana brand new with extended warranty and "babied" it through 80,000 miles with numerous problems such as:

1. Head casket replaced after three years.
    2. Fuel pump replaced after two years.
    3. Cracked flywheel (replaced) last year off warranty (quote of $1200 reduced to $900.00 after i threatened to take my business elsewhere).
    4. Front tierods last year (2006).
    5. In 2006 fuel gauge indicator had to be repaired twice at a cost of over $500.00 (first time wrong repair by dealer). Two months ago problem resurfaced and GM Dealer in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada told me it would cost $540 to fix as they fixed the problem 14 months previously therefore beyond the 12 month warranty on the repairs.
    6. Constant smell of "Dexcool" coolant.
    7. Replaced solenoid in transmision in March 2007. Van still accelerating roughly with poor acceleration even with using premium unleaded fuel.
    8. Replaced brakepads three time sand rotors twice with normal driving and no abuse.
    9. Constant ticking sound when running especially when warming up.

All servicing and repairs done by GM dealership where Montana was purchased. I finally "blew-up" at the dealership when the repeated fuel gauge problem developed this spring. I received a telephone call a few days after I refused to have the fuel gauge repaired for a third time in 14 months at a total cost of over $1,000. I thought the dealership was calling to recitify the problem at no cost. Alas it was a salesman trying to sell me an Acadia or Enclave telling me the service department had told him I would be in the market for a new vehicle soon.

Fed up ai just purchased a 2008 Highlander Ltd. at Toyota dealership across the street from the GM Dealership. I ordered it in May and just picked it up with the Canada wide launch on August 2nd. I received next to nothing for the Montana for a trade-in due to knowledge of the Montana and GM products being "junk" and the fact they are dumping new 2007 Montana and Venture Vans for under $19,000 in Winnipeg, Canada. I paid almost $32,000 Canadian (listed at $33,800 Canadian) for the 2000 Montana in April 2000.

I had a lot of expensive problems with a 2000 Caprice Classic purchased new in 2000. Will never consider a GM product again. I am sure the Acadia, Enclave and Saturn Outlook will have a host of reliability problems in the next few years despite often glowing reviews as models being touted as "turning" GM around. I advise others considering buying the GM Lambada crossovers to be aware of reliability reputation of GM vehicles.

Regards.

Canuck 17
    Purchased a 2000 Montana brand new with extended warranty and "babied" it through 80,000 miles with numerous problems such as:

1. Head casket replaced after three years.
    2. Fuel pump replaced after two years.
    3. Cracked flywheel (replaced) last year off warranty (quote of $1200 reduced to $900.00 after I threatened to take my business elsewhere).
    4. Front tierods last year (2006).
    5. In 2006 fuel gauge indicator had to be repaired twice at a cost of over $500.00 (first time wrong repair by dealer). Two months ago problem resurfaced and GM Dealer in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada told me it would cost $540 to fix as they fixed the problem 14 months previously therefore beyond the 12 month warranty on the repairs.
    6. Constant smell of "Dexcool" coolant.
    7. Replaced solenoid in transmision in March 2007. Van still accelerating roughly with poor acceleration even with using premium unleaded fuel.
    8. Replaced brakepads three times and rotors twice with normal driving and no abuse.
    9. Constant ticking sound when running especially when warming up.

All servicing and repairs done by GM dealership where Montana was purchased. I finally "blew-up" at the dealership when the repeated fuel gauge problem developed this spring. I received a telephone call a few days after I refused to have the fuel gauge repaired for a third time in 14 months at a total cost of over $1,000. I thought the dealership was calling to recitify the problem at no cost. Alas it was a salesman trying to sell me an Acadia or Enclave telling me the service department had told him I would be in the market for a new vehicle soon.

Fed up I just purchased a 2008 Highlander Ltd. at Toyota dealership across the street from the GM Dealership. I ordered it in May and just picked it up with the Canada wide launch on August 2nd. I received next to nothing for the Montana for a trade-in due to knowledge of the Montana and GM products being "junk" and the fact they are dumping new 2007 Montana and Venture Vans for under $19,000 in Winnipeg, Canada. I paid almost $32,000 Canadian (listed at $33,800 Canadian) for the 2000 Montana in April 2000.

I had a lot of expensive problems with a 2000 Caprice Classic purchased new in 2000. Will never consider a GM product again. I am sure the Acadia, Enclave and Saturn Outlook will have a host of reliability problems in the next few years despite often glowing reviews as models being touted as "turning" GM around. I advise others considering buying the GM Lambada crossovers to beware of the reliability reputation of GM vehicles.

Regards.

Canuck 17
    Correction to my posting. Of course it was a 1990 Caprice Classic purchased brand new as a GM redesign of the Caprice Classic in 1990. The model was discontinued in 1995.

Canuck 17
  • You've got it, replace the 02 sensor that is inbetween the exhaust manifold and the cat. Don't know why but that 02 sensor fails about every 10k miles. Once it goes bad, it tells the computer to up the fuel mixture. Since the fuel is rich, your exhaust gas temperature goes up a lot. It will eventually just melt your cat and plug the whole exhaust system.
  • How do you get to those plugs on the rear of the engine? Can you do it from a lift or do you have to rotate the engine? Thanks.

Also, I've been having the problem where I keep getting a low coolant light on. I fill the coolant, and then it happens again within 3 months. Accerleration has turned into crap, thing can't climb steep grades w/o overheating. I know about problems this thing can have, but I haven't found coolant in the oil anytime I've changed it, at least I don't find any as far as I know.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,233
    For your coolant loss, in absense of any obvious leaks, have checked to see if intake manifold gaskets are leaking? Its a pretty common problem and will cause troubles if not corrected.
  • writerwriter Posts: 119
    I bought the service manuals for the Montana (and all the 2003 GM minivans), which costed around $200.00 Cdn.

The first thing I wanted to do was change the gas cap to one with a lock. So I went to a dealership and got one. The gas cap on a minivan is held on a "tether" line and I figured that either it would be obvious how to replace it, or it would be in the service manual. No. In fact neither is true. I cannot guess how to get to old one off the tether line, and no it is not in the $200.00 manuals either.

Does anyone know how this is done?
  • cjtcjt Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Montana Transport. Just had the front two tires and the front struts installed today. However the shake is sitll there. The front end has been aligned twice within the last month, and everthing seems to be fine other than the shake that starts at about 50 mph. I am curious as well!!! This just started at about 100,000 miles. We have 107k on it right now.
    Did you buy the Transport new back in '98 or is this a recently purchased used vehicle? If this is something you have had for a long time, did it become apparently suddenly or could you sense the problem developing over time?

I think the most likely case will be that you have an unbalanced tire, but there are other possibilities.
    I have just finished reading through the various postings in all the topics related to my 2003 Montana and I think that the "GM's triplets Venture, Silhouette, and Montana" topic should be made accessible from the "Pontiac Montana" Forum and this topic should be changed to "Read Only". This topic, so far, is really just a duplication, and since the vehicle is discontinued, there is no likelihood that "future" products might be require a separate topic. But do make the "triplets" topic available from the "Pontiac Montana" forum first, because there is enough difference between Pontiac and Chev overall. For example, I might be interested in following the Vibe, and not that interested in the HHR.
  • Hi all, I just fininshing replacing the alternator in my 2000 montana and it won't turn over. I have power to the vehicle...dash, chimes, lights, you name it. But when I turn the key it just does nothing, no sound, no attempt to turn over, nada. Could I have blown a fuse or relay somewhere in the ignition? Are there security codes that are locking me out of the ignition? Can anyone help me? I was forced to replace it myself due to economics and you have no idea how defeated i felt after going through that whole ordeal just to hear nothing. I appreciate any help or advise you can give.
  • i bought the montana used after it reach hundered thousand km i had to replace the intake gaskets it cost me 800.00 only because my brother done it for me , itook it to a gm dealer and they wanted 2000.00 to do it , but now it runs good and have not had a problem any other way ,with the montana
  • I am having a similar problem. In fact, the symptoms are exactly the same. The difference is that what brought on my problem is that I got a new key from Wal Mart. This happens when I try to use the new key. My guess was that it was a security issue. Your problem stacks up as another piece of evidence to that effect.

That is to say that I would guess that your problem is tied to the same security feature that is giving me problems.
  • I have a 97 Montana with 100000+ miles. I just got it out of the shop last week and noticed it will start to sputter and shake a little for a few seconds then it will be fine. It happens any time at any temperature at any speed.

The head gasket, water pump, thermostat, starter and flywheel were all replaced last month.
  • hi i just bought a 2001 pontiac montana last week and my remote doesn't work. the light on the remote come on when i push the button but the van doesn't respond. i tried changing the battery cause it was the easiest thing to do didnt fix it. what should i do now??????
  • hello,
    im in the same boat...
    i just replaced the water pump my self...
    put it all back together went to start it and it wont turn over.. the instrument panel come up like you said chimes ect but it wont turn over, when i stop trying to crank it over the security light does come on, also i get nothing from the radio it ejects the CD light up but it wont play anything , i do have the compustar system in it. im really thing it is something with the security, it is almost midnight and i have been hitting my head for 3h..

also when i remove the key after the security light cam on some of the dash lights stayed on for about 3 seconds then turned off. i hear the fuel pump priming and get all the noises but i don't know what to do it is dead in my father in law's garage.
    any thoughts would be great!! :)
    thanks
    matt