Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• I was RIPPED OFF on a 1997 Pontiac Montana Trans Sport - overheated big time right away. I paid $1450, spent another $1000 on new radiator, thermostat, air filter, oil change, new antifreeze, insurance. Radiator repairman put water in, after charging me for 2 antifreeze gallons. Now, the water/antifreeze, oil are intermixed. The radiator tests to low of 20 Deg F, not enough for MI winters. I have been told to drain radiator and put new antifreeze in; also, to drain some of the engine oil(oil floats on top of water, so water should come out first). Is this the best idea?
    If this is done, should I start the engine in the driveway or leave well enough alone.
    I am willing to sell the minivan for $1800.
    Pleasae help!
  • In your subject line of your message you state "blown head gasket" ??? Is this fixed?
  • No, it is not fixed. But for sure that is the main problem.

I dont have a mechanic I can trust so I am having it at least winterised in the driveway.

Until I can afford/want to spend more money, this is how it has to be.
  • After spending $2500 on a used Trans Sport, I finally found a mechanic that I can trust. Before spending another $1000 on a head gasket, I am going to store it in the driveway this winder(SW MI). He is coming over Sun. to drain the water/antifreeze, and fix the oil/water/antifreeze mixture.
    The snow will get plenty deep all around the minivan; will this hurt anything else?
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
  • After head gasket blew(at least), the fluid has been drained from the radiator, and minivan stored inside.
    Do I need to have the oil/water/coolant mixture drained from the motor? The stick shows reddish liquid above the full line.
    This is in Michigan.
  • Red-handled dipstick (very long): Transmission fluid. It sounds like this is what you were looking at. It is normal for it to appear above the fill line with the engine stopped and cold. Magenta is the normal color. I wouldn't drain it for storage.

Yellow-handled dipstick (short): Engine oil. If dark brown, I'd change the oil before storage although perhaps not necessary. It should be between the low and high marks when off and cold. If it is a soft grey color or has milky streaks, it is still contaminated with water-coolant mixture from the blown head gasket and definitely should be changed.
  • I just replaced my MAF and for about 4 days all was good, today the SEL comes back on and its throwing a code 102 or MAF sensor circut low imput.???? a little help please
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    My wife hit something with the RH power mirror, knocked/broke it off the door. I've reattached it to the door, need a new mirror. Got a question: there are two wires on the backside of the mirror that attach to it like wires on a window defogger....any idea what they are for? I suppose they could heat the mirror, but don't know.
    Never mind...I was going to fix the mirror, but just got a whole new mirror assembly on ebay for $55 delivered. Turns out the mirrors are heated....I never knew.
  • Ok the plot thickens on my car, yesterday the power door locks started cycling on thier own to the point if ii left the engine running and got out to open my gate i could get locked out of the van!! I am looking through the repair manual now, it was really late last night but is it me or is there no fuse to pul for the power locks?? still having MAF sensor problem too
  • OK, this thing with the locks throwing by themselves happened to my wife and daughter while they were away on a road trip, far from home. My wife phoned me in a panic saying it was as if the car was haunted, locks throwing by themselves and the horn honking too. I thought about it and advised my daughter to remove the button battery from her key fob, which she had only just started carrying with her. That did it, the key fob was flaky.

Also, I feel that sometimes the body electronics will act up if the battery goes completetly dead and/or is removed, as when buying a new battery.
  • thank you for the reply thought about the key fob its old and worn, I will try it meanwhile i am carrying a spare key.
    I had this problem years ago on my Firebird, it was moisture related: opening the door in the rain would sometimes let water into the door-mounted switches, and they'd act up until they dried out.
  • Right front noise. At any speed and not affected by bumps or turns. This is a straight ahead noise from the right front. I do not feel it in the streeing wheel so I dont think it is a flat spot or a seperated belt on the tire. The smoother the road the more I can hear it from low speed to high speed it is there and it matches the speed or the car in terms of how fast the thump is occuring. Any ideas?
  • I know it's been a month, but did you ever get resolution? I went through something like this. My symptoms were scoring on the brake disk even though brake pads were not excessively worn, and a once-per-revolution bump similar to a tire problem. Some loss in handling but not severe enough to suggest broken ball joint or steering linkage. It turned out to be the hub-bearing assembly.The bearing was not seizing (I've had that too in another failure), instead it was loose and falling apart. You can tell right away if you lift the wheel off the ground. If the steering knuckle feels tight but the road wheel has some play (and furthermore the knuckle doesn't move while you are making the road wheel jiggle) you have a broken bearing. The hub and bearing are a sealed, modular assembly. DIY cost to replace, about $160. Difficulty about 3.5 on a 1 to 5 scale. Requiries specialty tools loaned from your auto parts store.
  • any luck on resolving this issue? I've the same situation but have not tried turning off and back on.
  • cjt72cjt72 Posts: 3
    the brake lights on the main 4 bulb assembly do not work,The light on the gate works when the brakes are applied.The parking lights and turn signals work.I've changed the bulbs but to no avail.Please help.
    I think I had this problem, I had to replace the plastic assembly that the lights plug into...seems like the assembly can melt and short out at a socket where you can't tell unless you look closely, and it messes up the whole thing.
  • cjt72cjt72 Posts: 3
    thanks for the info.i will definately look into it tomorrow as it is dark out.again thanx, i will keep u posted on wat i find out tomorrow.