Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• bonnie_rickbonnie_rick Posts: 115
    comes out, here's the link to our 1999 Mercury Cougar V6 Coupe review.

Administrative Host, edmunds.com
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    Here's a link to the new, Full Review by one of our Staff.

1999 Mercury Cougar

If you do a search, you'll also find topics in the Coupes conference. Make sure you come back to Hatchbacks, though. {;^)

Bruce. Sedans Host.
  • I'm very interested in the new Cougar. My dealer says that side airbags will be available soon BUT that they are only available with leather seats. He also says that the MSRP for the bags is $500.00 vs. the $375 I see posted on sites like Edmunds. Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Personally, I find both these dealer claims highly dubious.
  • I'm interested in buying the Cougar. I've heard that the automatic trans on the new cat is lousy. Could anyone shed some light on this subject. If you own one, please let me know what you think.
  • mknightmknight Posts: 57
    I went to test drive the new cougar last weekend after waiting for the dealer to get in a few with the sunroof option. I was disappointed that the sunroofs weren't the sliding glass kind (a Moonroof), but were the sliding solid panel kind.

--Mike
  • moet1moet1 Posts: 1
    See the Cougar topic in the Coupes conference. It has all the info you could want.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Mercury Cougar: do you think of it as a hatchback or a coupe? I think it depends on your point of view. If having the hatch is just as important (or more) than having two doors, it's a hatchback. ;-)

Here's the link to the Cougar discussion in Coupes. Take a look and invite some new friends back to Hatchbacks!

carlady/host
  • sprigosprigo Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying a 1999 cougar. Can
    anyone tell me what they think of theirs?
  • kyankyan Posts: 4
    I think a Cougar is an excellent value. The look awesome, have a powerful V6, alluminum wheels, power moonroof, and a whole lot more for under $20,000. Make mine Laser Red Please.
  • Getting a Cougar would be a GREAT idea. Either engine is good, but I would suggest the V-6 for the extra ooomf. Also, if you get the V-6, you can order more options. I would suggest ordering a brochure from www.mercuryvehicles.com, or just stopping by your local dealer and get one.
  • GL1500GL1500 Posts: 2
    The only trouble I see with buying a 99 Cougar is that all those angles in its design are going to look old in a few years. Just my opinion.
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    cougar has an interesting design. i was, however, struck by how the automatic gear shift lever blocks the radio buttons when in Park...radio seems too low... when i drove the five speed this was not a problem... i wonder if people with automatics ever play the radio when, say, waiting for their spouse to get done shopping inside the mall, and have to manuever their way around the gear shift lever?
  • yeah it might get old, but the projector head lamps will keep alive for a good number of years.
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    ral2167, I drive a MTX and even when in 3rd or 5th I can still function the radio, actually without looking and I have only had the car for 4 days. the buttons are logical and ergonomically perfect, they each have a certain feel which is quickly learned. Even the Automatic I test drove was easy to feel the radio, remember eyes on the road, and if your parked, ahh I didn't see a problem with the shifter.
  • regatta3regatta3 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 cougar. Has anyone else been satisfied with theirs. I pick it up tomorrow and I hope I made a good decision?
  • mackenziemackenzie Posts: 1
    To: Regatta3
    Yes, as long as what you want is well engineered and sporty 2-door hatchback that will draw stares from others. If you have 6 kids - then obviously you have purchased the wrong car. My '99 is a Zetec 4 cyl. with manual transmission that I've had for two months and 2,400 mi. No flaws found yet except that the overhead courtesy light will not shut off after the stated 12 sec. delay. A minor thing that the dealer will take care of soon as I get it to them. Is yours a manual by chance? It greatly enhances the enjoyment of driving the car. Best luck and enjoy your cat.
  • runtieruntie Posts: 5
    I'm new to your board. I've been researching the cougar for about two months and I'd like to thank all of you for your posts, they helped me alot in my decision process. I'm proud to say I'll pick-up my '99 Black Cat V6, fully loaded on Friday night! I'm very excited as this is my very first new car...so this is why I went to college.
    Anyway, I hope to post more about my kitty once she becomes a part of my family on Fri!

I read all 282 posts from another board with all of you, so I feel like I know you and your cats! My previous car was a '91 Eclipse GSX and although I'll miss it, I won't miss the 131,XXX miles it had. (Things were really beginning to go wrong!)

I would like it if some of you could tell me what you like most about your cats and how you'd compare them to the Eclipse? (I'm aware of the price dif...) Performance? Looks? Anything else?

Thanks all! I'm so happy, I can barely wait until Friday...
  • malibumalibu Posts: 155
    Runtie,
    I'm soooo jealous! I have been trackin the cougar since it was a concept car. I currently drive an 87 4-runner with 216,000 miles on it. I have been waiting for my son to get his license so I can pass it on and get my cougar. It's really gonna be different driving a sporty car like the cougar, but I already know it's what I will have. I have never had anything but toyotas so it has to impress me. I'll be thinking of you on Friday! fyi-I fit into the demographics for mercury perfectly ( 35 year old female)
    Malibu:
    I hope you get your Cat soon. 216,XXX miles hu! That's some money well spent. But, I agree with you it's time to pass it along... Thanks for thinking about me. I'll post on Monday to let everyone know how the weekend was...:~)
    Runtie,

Can't wait to hear from you on Monday. Have a fun weekend!

Also, Has anyone heard if the Eliminator will see production? and if so in California?

Thanks!
    Picked-up my cat Friday in the rain :~(
    But, we had a wonderful weekend driving around.

What's the Eliminator? I'm not familiar with that.

Runtie
    The eliminator and the Cougar "S" are both currently concept cars..I have called all over to dealers asking about production, but they aren't sure. The Eliminator has a few more flares, a little more horsepower and the interior has a couple modifications. The "S" is pretty wild, it has alot of flares, a much bigger engine and more of a racing suspension and quite a few modifications on the interior.

I just don't want to buy one and have the eliminator come out 2-6 months later. I did that with my 4-runner, bought a 2 door and 6 months later they came out with a 4 door. The dealers don't always tell you these things so they can get the sale now.

I'll just keep checking, maybe some news will surface in the next few months.

Thanks.
  • I am looking at the v6, fully loaded. Just found out, never had a new new car, that you have to pay extra for automatic. How is the shifting in the stick and any problems yet? I made a mistake of buying a tiburon fx....bad bad mistake.

Also, this may be a nosy question but how much are all of you paying for this car. The guy last night quoted me 18,500. I know about the discounts and extra profit and I am not willing to give them this.

I hate buying a new car and hopefully I will be making a good decision when I buy this one.
  • gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Hmmm. Thought this conference was frozen.

Go over to the sports/convertables etc.. and find the Cougar Support Group (CSG).

Also, see the New Edge Cougar Owner's webpage at newcougar.org. Lots of good pix, info, and FAQ.

Cougar vs. Eclipse: Cougar is bigger w/more room. Handling and performance either comparable or advantage Cougar (except for the blown Eclipse, and then you're talking lots of bucks difference), and the Cat just looks better (IMHO).

Lots of other's opinions in the CSG conference archives.

Skip G.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    No, not frozen. :-) All hatchbacks are welcome here.

carlady/host
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    I purchased my vehicle for 400 under invoice, dont believe edmunds when they say, "not likely to find a dealer willing to sell you one for $500 over cost. " I got 400 off for recent graduation of college. Just shop around.

Fully loaded V6 minus leather/roof/spoiler.
  • bnormannbnormann Posts: 335
    That's the problem with a review that's written when the car is brand new...by now, the pipeline is full and they just want to sell one as bas as the next car. Result: pricing pressure.

Bruce.
  • alasseralasser Posts: 1
    Since I have retired and no longer need my Continental, am interested in the '99 Cougar. I am 6'3" tall and wonder how I'm to fit in the bucket seats. I really want a "flashy" sporty car that may me feel a lot younger. Does anyone have any comments?
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    i wonder if they did a survery as to how many men own cougars and how many women... from what i see i think it's at least 7 woman out of 10-- not being critical-- is this about right from what others see?
    It's funny you should ask that, just this morning I was commenting to a co-worker that every cougar I see has a woman in the driver seat. He said it definately looked like a chick car.
This discussion has been closed.