Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    The Cougar S has been cancelled. Mercury decided not to produce this version of the Cougar. Why? I have no earthly idea!!!
  • smc7smc7 Posts: 12
    fish8, thanks for the response.

I had not seen this info released anywhere (re: Cougar S cancellation). The brochure for the Cougar that I picked up 2 weeks ago said it was scheduled for First Quarter 2001. I didn't talk to a dealer about it. Where can I read more about this cancellation?

Because of your (sad) news, I went to mercuryvehicles.com and 'built' a V6 with the sport group options. I am now considering this version of Cougar. I'm a little disappointed with the cancellation of the S but I think I'm still willing to get one of these.

Thanks again
    smc7
    If you go back and read the "chats On" section(maybe 100-150 post back) you will see MWS0520 state that all plans for the "S" have been scrapped. MWS is the Brand Mgr(I believe) for Mercury. He has been very helpful in answering most of our questions. I hope this helps!!
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    According to Edmunds' Future Telling, Mercury is to release the Cougar S version in 2002.

For future reference, you'll find this section via Edmunds' editorial section link on the front page. Once you're in the main editorial section, look for future telling in the right hand column. Good luck. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    Pocohantas:

When was that "prediction" made though? I've been all around the block with future Cougars, and "what might be's" and every prediction in there has been scrapped. What you don't predict, however, is that the Mercury Cougar is possibly not even going to be produced past 2002 ... Sad though that may be.

It was almost nice to have a light at the end of the tunnel, but the 3.0L was scrapped more than a year ago, the S was officially scrapped in February. The only logical next step for Mercury to do at this point is adopt a version of the Focus. That's my prediction!

Thanks for the update though, it's funny to see some of the things that have been predicted in the automotive world.
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    I'm not sure actually when that info was published. Feel free to send an email to Edmunds management for more information, or if you feel it needs to be updated/corrected. I appreciate your input! ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks Message Board

• kaw6kaw6 Posts: 2
    Am I the only having a tremendous amount of problems with my 1999 Mercury Cougar?? I have never been so disappointed with a car before. It has been in the shop close to 10 times and the dealership has not been at all helpful. I plan on getting rid of it this spring, I don't think I will ever buy a Ford product again.
  • jdbishopjdbishop Posts: 36
    I have had only one problem with my 99 and that was fixed by the dealership after they ordered a new part. Problem diagnosed and fixed with true professionalism. My 99 is V6, MTX, Sport & Convenience Groups. It will be 2 years old next month and it has 29,768 miles. I couldn't be happier with it.
    Yeah! Another happy owner!

But kaw6, seriously, there are actually a lot of other owners who have had serious problems with thier Cougars, so don't feel left out. Of course I don't know what solace that will provide knowing that your Cougar is still on the outs. Have you tried a different dealer in your area? Maybe one that might care about the customer (because it sounds like the one your taking it to doesn't care).

I don't blame you, however, for wanting to ditch a bum product, but perhaps if you can find a place to diagnose and fix the problems with your Cat, you'll remember why you bought it in the first place, and decide otherwise -- IF it's running properly, of course.

Good luck, and let us know what's wrong with your car, maybe another member has had a similar problem and can point you in the right direction to getting it resolved.

Take care!
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    There is a TSB on the locks malfunctioning (unlocking and locking). My sister had the same problem and the dealer fixed it. So far so good. I did have to contact Mercury since the dealer was not aware of the TSB.
  • gregtalgregtal Posts: 12
    I have a '99 Cougar V6 Auto (purchased 9/98) with over 50,000 miles and like milesKB (post #458) haven't had any trouble at all. In fact, I just ordered an '01 Cougar (we'll be a two Cougar family now), only this time I went with my heart's desire, a V6 stick. I realize that you never quite know what you're going to get (I really sympathize with those of you who have reported reported recurring problems with your Cougars - I have a '90 Lumina APV that has gone through 3 engines, while it seems that hardly anyone else has had a problem), but I can only hope it is just as well put together as my '99. I wanted the S model but, just to confirm everything you have already heard but didn't want to believe, the S has in fact been cancelled. I truly hope it was due to technical issues and not some self-defeating decision by the Mercury group. I must also toot my dealer's horn, Stadium Lincoln -Mercury in Tampa., FL. A great bunch of people, both sales and service.
    Has anyone seen the most recent Consumer Reports Car issue? The '99 and '00 Cougar received the WORST reliability rating. So, all of these problem reports are not unfounded. Good luck to everyone with problems.
    Gregtal:

Actually, it wasn't any technical problems nor was it a defacing move from the folks at Mercury. Ford Motor Company still pulls the strings on the Mercury puppet, and would not allow Mercury to come out with the S to boost it's flagging sales or promote return customers. They simply killed the project - after printing it up in all those dealership brochures - because. That may not sound like any kind of excuse, but that's the only reason they gave. Unfortunatly, we all found out that Ford announced the availability of the Focus SVT ONE DAY before officially cancelling the S model. You figure it out, I think they did it on purpose so they wouldn't be competing with themselves - little did they know that the Focus doesn't compete with the Cougar, nor do any Cougar owners that I know of have any interest in "downgrading" to a Focus. We've got bigger pies in the skies - like BMWs!
  • kaw6kaw6 Posts: 2
    Some of the problems I have experienced include: rear hub replaced twice, new transmission installed, new moonroof installed, airbag safety light flashing, engine light on, fog lights repeatedly blowing the fuse (close to every week),the drivers side front window sometimes gets stuck going up, 2nd set of new tires in 6 months-the alignment gets getting messed up even though I have an alignment performed every other oil change (I know there's more problems-I've tried to block them out!) I also know of two people who have had to replace the entire electrical system.

As for going to a different dealership, I have been to three now. In fact, I got into it with two service managers at one place that I was asked to not bring the car back there. I now try to deal exclusively with the Ford rep. I am so disgusted with this car! The longer I have the car, the more that just falls apart on it. And this was rather unsettling, during a recent phone conversation with a Ford mechanic I was telling him how upset I have been with all the repairs, his reply "What do you expect, it's a cougar"
    I only hope for everyone else's sake that the newer models are made better (I bought mine in August of 98 when they first came out)
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    Ford killed the S after customer expectations were not met and sales began to drop significantly after initial introduction. They must have thought the S would not bring enough customers to justify the production cost. And I have to say with the SUV craze they are correct. A good source of Ford news is www.blueovalnews.com.
    I have always taken all information on blueovalnews with a grain of salt.
  • dasaint1dasaint1 Posts: 230
    Fish8:

Yeah, I've seen the new CR magazine. And the Cougar's reliability is not pretty. I guess in a few years, when you see CR publish their Used Cars to Avoid list--the '99-'00 Cougar will be highlighted and pictured on it.

It's a good thing for Ford I already bought the Cougar. If I was shopping for a car now, I wouldn't buy the Cougar because of the CR's rating. CR is the only car magazine out there that really looks out for consumers. Instead of focusing or glorifying 0-60 or quarter-mile results that the average driver will never attain, they focus on safety, convenience and reliability.

However, my '00 Cougar has just hit 1-year old last week and has 12,000 miles on it. So far no problems other than replacing the driver seat assembly. I hope and pray she continues to be nice to me and give me many years of trouble free driving experience. I still love my Cat.
  • louf22louf22 Posts: 18
    My '01 cat just turned 1 month old and so far no problems. Getting a respectable 23mpg in city driving. Soon I'm going to get the front end aligned. I've bought 4 previous Ford products new, and on 3 I had premature tire wear because they were misaligned when I got them from the dealer. One mechanic told me that the way that Ford vehicles are shipped by rail causes the misalignment.

I figure I better check so I won't wear out my Comp T/As early!

Lou
    dasaint: Actually, The '99 & '00 Cougras are already on the Consumer Reports Used Car Avoid list.

louf22: Since the day I bought my Cougar(June'99) I have experienced excess tire wear on my front tires. I wish this was only caused by the rail shipping. I am on my second set of tires with only 22,600 miles on my car. The dealer states that the wear on my front tires is normal and they can't find anything wrong. So, good luck with your alignment. I wish it were that simple for me.
  • louf22louf22 Posts: 18
    Fish8:
    Thanks. I wish I had known about CR putting the Cougars on the avoid list; I might have kept my 98 Contour, which was a very good reliable car. I used last year's CR recommendation as a reason to buy my 01 Cougar. What's funny about the CR avoid list, last year's list had all Contours except the 98, now this year's includes the 98 as well.

What tires came on your Cougar originally? I hope you have better luck on the second set. I've seen that other Cougar owners have had problems with original Firestones.

Lou
This discussion has been closed.