Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mercury Cougar

Comments

• gustafscgustafsc Posts: 361
    Amen brother!!!

There's a factory notice for trunk realease problems.

See the NECO web site @newcougar.org

Lots of good reading and info, and don't forget to visit the CSG (Cougar support group) over in the sports car/coupes.convertables conference.

Good luck with the new kitty;)

Skip G.
  • judasjudas Posts: 217
    The 5.0 cougar's were slower than dirt. I don't have the 0-60 and 1/4 mi times right now but I bet I can find them and I almost guarantee that the new Cougar is faster. The old Cougar (With the possible exception of the SC 3.8) was a slow, heavy, poor handling yacht. It was considered a family coupe. And even if it isn't faster, it'd awful darn close, and handles a lot better. The new cougar is much more performance oriented than the old. Personally, I don't like FWD's a whole heck of a lot, but I also don't like pony cars and spending over 25K, so the Cougar is one of the cars I'm considering. If they bring the Cougar S to the table with over 200 HP and AWD for around (less than) 25K I will definitely be getting one.
  • Hello...I am currently considering purchasing a '99 Cougar and I need some advice (I'm a newbie to car buying). The local dealership has a V6 mtx going for the "hassle free" price of $16598. Edmunds lists the invoice price for this model at $15,422, along with a $400 destination charge and $151 for California Emissions. This totals to $15,973. Am I correct in assuming that this is the price I should use in negotiating a deal? What would be a reasonable amount to pay for this model? They're also offering 0.9% financing...should be taken into account as well?

I've already test driven this particular Cougar twice and it's really starting to grow on me. I'm not desperate, but the '99's will only be around for so long. I don't want to rush into a bad deal...any suggestions?
  • fredlyfredly Posts: 201
    Invoice price is the base price of the car with no options,
    Which options does this car have?
    with the conv, and sport groups that price is damn good.
  • Fredly...unfortunately this one has neither the conv nor the the sport group. :(
    What does it have?
    leather? ABS? TC? side airbags? heater core?
    if it has nothing but a manual. you should be able to get it at or slightly above invoice
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    jjones930:

You didn't mention what options this particular Cat has, other than the V6. The total option package will greatly affect the "invoice" or "tissue" price that the dealer paid. You've also got to add a couple of hundred to the dealer's "cost" to cover the regional cooperative advertising.

You should be able to get your Cougar for $100 to $200 over total dealer cost. That's a fair price. Don't forget, they pocket 3% of the price as "dealer holdback". It sounds like the "hassle-free" price is $300 to $400 too high, even more if it's a leftover '99 that they want to clear off their lot.

You should read: http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/consumer.html very carefully, as well as the April issues (all years) of Consumer Reports magazine (check with your librarian). You will find lots of hints about how to get your best deal.

Don't forget to walk into the dealership with your annotated printouts of all costs, to show the salesman that you know exactly what you want and what you are willing to spend.

You should also visit Cougar Support Group Part 7 (Topic #1272)in the Coupes, Convertibles & Sports Cars Conference. Good luck, and hold out for your price.
    Sorry, I didn't realize the cross posting while I was composing my response to jjones930.
    No problem blane:
    but you said
    "You've also got to add a couple of hundred to the dealer's "cost" to cover the regional cooperative advertising."
    You do not have to pay this fee, I didn't and many others haven't either.
    a dealer can easily not charge you this.
  • I'm reposting this because I haven't seen it posted on the list, so I apologize...and yes I have refreshed my page :) Anyway, to the best of my knowledge this '99 Cougar is a base V6 mtx. The dealer says he can go no lower than 16598, despite my relentless badgering. I offered 16000 (was that too low high?) but he refused to budge. I've had a chance to cool down and I realize that there are other cars. I just wanted to know if I was passing up a potentially good deal.
    Still seems high with no options. Mercury is offering 1000 back on 99 leftovers, ask him if you can get that deal. :) or 16000. He might budge
    who knows.
    F-
    While the pricew the dealer is quoting you is a little high for a totally base unit, the 0.9% financing could be a strong factor depending on your down payment, outstanding balance, and loan time. The lowest financing I could get was 6.9 from my credit union.

The low rate could wind up saving you much more than the slightly higher deal price. That's probably why the price is a little high, as the dealer may have to buy down the loan.

If you finance a high percentage of the car's price, it's like getting free money as your bank will give you more than that is savings intrest.

Consider the whole package!!!

Skip G.

By the way, EVERYBODY GET OVER TO THE CSG WHERE WE BELONG!!!!! Lots more people and posts there.
  • >By the way, EVERYBODY GET OVER TO THE CSG WHERE WE BELONG

I'm sort of new here. What's this about a CSG and where would I find it?

As far as the question about the $16,000 offer I'd suggest looking up the Edmund's new car quote for the specific make, model and year. It tells you exactly what the invoice price is plus the MSRP (don't forget the 3% holdback the dealer gets direct from Ford).

Then if you still think the $16,000 offer is reasonable take a printout of the figures with you and show it to the salesman, letting him know that you've done your homework and you know what his profit is on the car.

I did this when I bought my '98 Mystique and the sales manager was surprised that consumers had access to such privy information. I also got a better deal because of it. Now the same salesman is wetting his lips once a week when I stop by to caress the new 2000 Cougars on the lot.
    Said something the other day like "Gee, October has sure been slow for car sales for us." We'll see.
    CSG Cougar Suppor Group in the Sports cars Forum

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Sportscars&f=0&t=1272

there are about oh 1700 posts, in about 7 different topic headings we are in part 7 now....
    lots of posts....lots of contributers.
    Sorry 'bout that.

You might want to visit the NECO (New Edge Cougar Owners) website at newcougar.org (sorry, I don't know how to do the hypertext). Lots of good info, contacts, references, etc...

Thanks for the follow-up fred. I guess I just think everybody should join the BIG party.

Skip G.

Skip G.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Because of its length, I've hidden the post above. Just click on the "hidden" message and it will open for you. Thanks.

carlady/host
  • well all as much as i like the cougar... i am getting rid of it... i was driving a jeep grand cherokee for five years prior to it and i have two big dogs...so i guess i got use to the bigness and sitting up taller.. anyways im in the houston area. The car is laser red with the sports package, convience package, moonroof, and the tan leather ( very nice combo) If anyone is interested they can email me at MIgirl7@aol.com
  • I have had my 1999 Cougar for about a year and a half. It has about 22,000 miles, and I have had problem after problem with it. I can't wait to get rid of it. My brakes grind all of the time, but I am told there is nothing wrong with them. I have more rattles and noises than I can name. I have had the motor mounts, fly wheel, a wiring harness, power steering rack, brake light switch, truck release, and the door ajar switch replaced. Unfortunately, my lemon does not meet the Lemon Law guidelines. Has anyone else had any problems with their cars.
    petey406:

Elizabeth, I'm sorry and surprised to read of all of your problems. Initially, you should visit Edmunds Townhall, Sportscars Topic 1528, Cougar Support Group Part 8. There is a very helpful and supportive group of New Edge Cougar owners there, and there are thousands of posts in this and the first seven Parts of the CSG. Worth reading all the way back through the "frozen" Parts too.

Check:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm

There you will find summaries of all of Ford's / Mercury's Technical Service Bulletins regarding your 1999 Cougar. Regarding your brakes, you should specifically call your dealer's service department's attention to the following two, and demand that they make the repairs under warranty in accordance with the TSBs:

Service Bulletin Number: 12585
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 531
    Date of Bulletin: 9903
    NHTSA Item Number: SB605313
    Make: MERCURY
    Model: COUGAR
    Year: 1999
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC SYSTEM
    Summary: VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A GRINDING / GROANING NOISE FROM THE FRONT BRAKES DURING STOP-AND-GO DRIVING. *TT

and:

Service Bulletin Number: 99-8-9
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 641
    Date of Bulletin: 9905
    NHTSA Item Number: SB606409
    Make: MERCURY
    Model: COUGAR
    Year: 1999
    Component: BRAKES:HYDRAULIC:ANTI-SKID SYSTEM
    Summary: INFORMATION ON "GROANING" NOISE FROM THE FRONT BRAKES DURING CITY DRIVIVING. *TT

When you check the list of TSBs please be aware that such a list is not uncommon for the majority of car brands. They are generated in an effort to improve quality and customer satisfaction.

You also might want to visit the Mercury Owner's Connection here:

http://www.ownerconnection.com/FormsLogin.asp?/home/home.asp?

There you can write directly to a very helpful staff at Mercury. They have helped me resolve a couple of problems.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    blane, thank you for your detailed response to Petey406. That information will be helpful to all of us.

carlady/host
  • arn09arn09 Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with this one. My local dealer has a 1999 Cougar still on his lot and has had it in stock since at least the beginning of September. It is a V6 with every option except ATX. The original sticker price was approx. 22,500. He has it marked down to 19,300, but I have a feeling that since it is a 1999, it's getting close to tax time, and he's had it on the lot for close to 6 months, that I can get it for significantly less. Anyone had any experience with a situation like this?
    Arn, you should be paying about 1000 less than invoice for it.
    Mercury Dealers are offerring $1000 cash back on 99 left overs
    take all the options and figure out what the invoice is for the car.
    I got my 99 in Feb/April for 400 under invoice.
    Don't go by sticker price, not many cougars sell for sticker...
    my sticker said something like 21-22k, I only paid around 18
  • I'm looking into a sports style coupe and am looking at the Cougar and Sebring. I've been a Mercury/Ford fan for a LONG time and have had no problems with any of their products. I want a coupe with power but have heard that the Cougar V6 is gutless compared to the Sebring. I've test drove only the Cougar and seems sluggish from a stop light or sign and when trying to pass or merge, you have to make it scream to just barely inch pass. I haven't driven a Sebring yet and am wondering if anyone has had the same feelings on the 2000 Cougar V6.
  • stageleftstageleft Posts: 391
    I own a Cougar and have driven the Sebring (coupe and convertible), and believe me, when dealing with the Sebring, the only thing you'll notice with the new ones is the auto-stick transmission with the V6. They don't offer a manual with the Sebring. However, if you're looking at the Automatic in each, you may find the Sebring to be a little smoother, but I've got no experience with a Cougar automatic. You'll be surprised at how slow and lagging the Sebring is too, if power is your major deciding factor.

Test drive each, good luck.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    I also own a Cougar and I would challenge anyone who called it "Gutless". Yes the ATX is not the fastest in the world, but is slightly faster than the Sebring's 0-60mph times (9.6 seconds).

I would also question the build quality of the Sebring. Although I have owned several Dodge vehicles without any problems, I have herd of major build problems with the Avenger, which I believe is just about the same car as the Sebring. If i'm wrong about this, please correct me.

-Rob
    The Sebring Coupe and the Avenger come off the same assembly line, while the Sebring Convertible is it's own animal, built from the ground up as a convertible rather than a coupe which has had it's top cut off.
  • roadroachroadroach Posts: 131
    If you test drove a Cougar and thought it lacked power, you will probably not like the Sebring either. (I'm assuming you will be comparing apples to apples ie. both cars a V6/auto, Sebring doen't have manual w/ V6). If you want more grunt, and can afford it, you may want to look at the new Mitsubishi GT. If you are looking at a manual (not clear in your post), you have more options available.
  • badulahbadulah Posts: 961
    StageLeft:
    Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure about that.

My final suggestion would be to test drive both cars back to back. Then make a decision.
    You're welcome. (Sounded "brochure-like", huh?)
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I test drove a Cougar back in 1999. Liked it, but it felt like I was sitting on the floor driving the car. Also, the power could have been better for a V6 as well. I was still thinking about a purchase, but am waiting for reliability to pan out. Has anyone here had trouble with the Cougar V6 automatic? And how do you like your cars? I would greatly appreciate some insight. Also, how is fuel economy with this combination and does it require premium fuel (don't think it does, but want to make sure)? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
This discussion has been closed.