Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf vs Honda Civic

Comments

• d7subd7sub Posts: 12
    is there a recommended way i should be downshifting as well?
  • chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    Just rev match and you should be fine.
  • sizzla123sizzla123 Posts: 18
    Hi all,

I've been driving a Jetta 1.8T for the past year, I love the 1.8T engine. I cant afford the car anymore, so I'm looking at a 2.0 Golf. How much of a step down in performance will this be? I dont race or anything, but I like the way the 1.8T feels and kinda worried that the 2.0 will be HUGE step down.

Thanks
  • curious38curious38 Posts: 18
    Hello,

I'm a first time car buyer, trying to decide between going w/ slightly used Civic hatchback or Golf. Probably looking at around $10,000 to spend, but yet wanting to get the most for my $$$!

I have found some of each car in my area, one Civic, a '99, 43000 miles @ $8500. Seems pretty reasonable. Most Golfs in my price range fall into the 97-99's or so, and I have heard these to be pretty poor years for VW.

Any advice?
  • chem123chem123 Posts: 272
    Exactly one year ago I purchased a 98 Civic DX hatchback with 45K mi for $7900. It seems like you are in a similar situation as I was then. Back then and still now, I cannot trust VW. Everything I have gathered from owners and research tells me buying a VW is just not a good car-owning experience. I hate to brand one company like that, but VW is the only one that fits. Any current owner who disagrees is either lucky or oblivious.
  • jmaterojmatero Posts: 253
    I'm in the same boat... Have a passat with 1.8T (chipped none the less) and I'm looking to save money by stepping down....way down I guess) and was thinking Golf GL or GLS. I, too, am worried about the power issue. I drove a 2.0 beetle a/t before I bought the Passat and found the power to be adequate. However, that was before driving the 1.8T. However, there's a lot to consider over just the Power... You get 4-wheel discs, Front/Side AND curtain airbags, high-quality feeling Dash and materials, better warranty than the imports (excluding the elantra I guess) amongst other things. You have to give up something moving down scale... Power is it I guess.
  • mogasmogas Posts: 8
    I have owned both. I bought a new 1992 VW Golf GLS back in '92. I will never own one again. I had more problems with that damn car by 1994 than I care to mention. I have owned four Honda products in my 33 years of life ('85 Prelude, '87 Integra, '92 Prelude and a '97 Civic) and all have run like champs with only minor problems. VW seems to use better quality interior materials though and the VW SEEMS very sturdy but I had lots of problems with mine. It's now 2002 so maybe VW fixed some of the issues I was having with mine but I'll never own another VW again unless its free. I'm not saying Honda is a MUCH better car than the VW, I just seem to have better luck with Honda. I won't own another Nissan as long as I live either, but that's a different story...
  • m9431m9431 Posts: 38
    I've owned 4 Hondas and 4 VWs and currently one one of each, (Accord and Golf) both 2002 models. VW has made much progress in improving quality (reliability). Honda still tends to be more reliable (although my 2001 Honda was a lemon). Yet if you enjoy driving, the VW is heads and tails above--I drive 700 miles a week. The latest Civic (except for the Si) is one of the WORST cars I've driven--period. The Golf is one of the best, short of a BMW. The VW is more substantial, while the Honda feels tinny by comparison.
  • srockrsrockr Posts: 79
    What problems plaqued your 01 Civic? I just bought an 03 Civic and really like it.

just curious
  • Sizzla 123 -

Do not bother buying a 2.0 Gas if you are coming off driving a 1.8T. You are giving up about 50 or 60 hp. If you want to save money, buy diesel. It gets way better mileage and will last forever.

My parents have a 2.0 gas which is fine, but after being taken for a ride in a 1.8T GTI, there is no comparison. It is a rocket on wheels.
  • Interesting board, but not sure how you can compare the Golf and Civic until Honda offers non-Si 3-doors and 5-doors in the U.S. (as they do in the UK). As I posted on the Si board, I'd love the choice of a 3 or 5 door Civic hatchback, 1.7L motor, EX-level equipment, and sticker at $15k. It would be such a perfect city car for me.

Re: VW 2.0L comments above, beware the oil consumption of a used (or even new) 2.0L. Why VW doesn't offer the much more moderen and refined non-turbo 1.8L in the U.S. is beyond me.

(My apologies if these issues have been tackled; I'm an infrequent board reader/poster)
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I had the 2.0 engine in one of my last VW's - it didn't use a drop of oil between 5k mile oil changes.

The current 2.0 won't be around much longer in the U.S. The current Mk IV Golf is due to be replaced with the Mk V next year. VW is increasing the displacement of the 1.8 to 2.0 and will be offering both versions of this new engine in the V in both turbo and non-turbo form. The new Golf will have all sorts of new equipment, knee air bags and foam filled doors for better crash protection plus a new suspension with multilink rear suspension just a few of the updates.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    "Interesting board, but not sure how you can compare the Golf and Civic until Honda offers non-Si 3-doors and 5-doors in the U.S. (as they do in the UK). As I posted on the Si board, I'd love the choice of a 3 or 5 door Civic hatchback, 1.7L motor, EX-level equipment, and sticker at $15k. It would be such a perfect city car for me.

Re: VW 2.0L comments above, beware the oil consumption of a used (or even new) 2.0L. Why VW doesn't offer the much more moderen and refined non-turbo 1.8L in the U.S. is beyond me.

(My apologies if these issues have been tackled; I'm an infrequent board reader/poster)"

I think if you look hard you can get an Si for $15K and it is indeed a perfect city vehicle with broad torque and a shifter that just fits snugly into the palm of you hand. stop and go have never been more fun.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hello, well i have narrowed down my choices between honda civic, and a golf gls auto
    and will be going with the golf cuz of the much better warranty and road side assistance program 4-50,000 basic warranty
    5-60,000 powertrain and as i mentioned the road side assistance i dont like buying cars every 2 years so i figured haveing the golf will give me at least 5 years of piece of mind plus when i went to the vw dealership last sunday about 2 hours before they opened i grabbed my cds and sat in a golfgls with the 8 speaker surround sound monsoon system and just had a great time listeing to my music till the dealership opened in my opinion the 8 speaker stereo system in the car is a real selling point compared to the civic which has just a adequite stereo with 4 speakers i think, it just depends if you like music as much as i do. anyway, thanks for your time. steve
  • Ummmm. other than hatches, where the heck are the similarities? I can you a main difference...After you get beyond 140 kph, I dont see any Honda's anywhere.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    rev limited 130 MPH. That's well over 200Kph. Thank you.

Maybe you mean 140 KM since thats as far as VW's get before a major breakdown. LOL!!! I kill me.
  • To answer questions I see on build quality and locations you really should not rely on salespeople to know what is going on. Check the VIN # yourself. The first digit on the VIN indicates country where car is made: 1 - USA; 2- Canada; 3 - Mexico; W- Germany, J - Japan, etc, etc.

Please DONT assume that because a car is built in Germany, german engineers will be hovering over cars with t-squares and and Zeiss lenses. The german plants mostly employ Turk labourers, and choice of build location has more to do with tax breaks and politics.
    Nevertheless, if you still must know where your car is built, it's best to check the VIN.

-betterbydesign
  • My golf has 279,000 kms with no breakdowns, major or minor. As far as "speed," I would like know how long you actually kept your "civic" at this speed before you and your car started to shake and slow down for the rest of us to pass you.

I still havnt seen any Hondas that have been able to keep up at a decent rate of speed over a long distance before their cars and drivers simply wear out.

Maybe you should stick to the little fast n furious street races that hondas are good fer.

regards.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Does not a reliable brand make.
  • dudkadudka Posts: 451
    Just to be clear Honda wins hands down. Honda is better designed, engineered and in most cases better built.

Speaking of fast and the furious, aren't EL (indiglo) gauges standard on VW from the factory? aren't 17 inch wheels are optional on VW? Honda does not offer "Fast and furious" reverse indiglo gauges or 17 inch wheels.

The only thing VW has going for it is the availability of turbo 4 (1.8T) and VR6. 2.0 Jetta is no comparison for any Honda Civic, and the fact that it is priced like an Accord makes it lose in the price category.

I had a Jetta before I switched back to Honda. Yes it had the fun factor, but constant fear of something failing was too much for me to keep it. It was fine through college, but after I graduated and started commuting 30 miles to work, Jetta could not take the "abuse" I had to get the power steering pump replaced 2 times, water pump 3 times, alternator, shocks, coil packs, window regulators and all that in the first 30,000 miles.

When I was ready to trade her in, I was in for another shock, the re-sale was non-existent. I got rid of Jetta in 99, got a Civic EX. When I was ready to get something different I got a very good trade in value, I ended up being able to get a fully loaded CR-V SE because of the positive equity I had on the Civic. This year we ended up needing another car, without a doubt I went to honda and got the Si for my self so the other half can have the CR-V. After 8 months, just out of curiosity, wanted to see what my trade in was. Guess what, I was offered $300 less that what I paid, 8 months and 8000 miles ago. Now try to get that on a VW. One of the posters on ephatch.com wants to dump his 1.8T jetta in favor of the new Si. His Jetta is 1 year old, he was offered $10,000 on the trade. This was originally sold for over $20K. To me that is un-acceptable.

The Si matched and exceeded the fun factor of the Jetta. 160 naturally aspirated horses vs. 180 turboed horses, just like anyone can make pea soup, anyone can turbo an engine.