Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Golf vs Honda Civic

Comments

• gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    In passenger safety. In fact they have built quite e reputation for being safe and efficient. Honda went so far as to build a dedicated crash safety center.

Not much research to do. Probably only a few more clicks than it took to create that last post saying that you weren't willing to do the research. Yet willing to post that you aren't willing to research. Many of those resale variables are taken into account when values are given. that's why they ask what level of cleanliness the car is.

And speaking of variables. I would think the variables involved in assessing the severity of an accident by looking at the wreckage to be much less accurate than simply checking KBB and or Consumer Reports.
  • bkpsbkps Posts: 3
    OK gee35coupe if the research is so easy...

Then I anctiously await your detailed economic evaluation and comparison of the VW Golf and Honda Civic and their long term ownership economies.

I expect that you will consider all of the variables that I listed previously and preferably a few more as well.

Also KBB and Consumer Reports do NOT do crash tests.
  • But Mr Pischetsrieder said VW, which includes Bentley, had made only a "very slight" profit after steep losses. "We continue to incur significant losses on cars exported from Germany to the United States. To ensure a long-term future for the group, we must act rapidly," he said.

Volkswagen, Europe's largest carmaker, warned yesterday that it could axe up to 20,000 jobs at its core VW brand and close several loss-making German plants in a restructuring designed to restore profits.

Bernd Pischetsrieder, chief executive, told VW's 103,000 German employees that their productivity was low, plants recorded very high losses and some component operations were uneconomical.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Yikes. Maybe the Ford guys can console the VW guys? (Not making light here, I promise). It's a shame that such a huge business is seemingly TOO big for itself.
  • So, good news all around. Everyone (not only share holders) should be happy that problems to remain the largest car maker in Europe and to remain competitive are addressed early on, rather than being swept under a GM carpet. ;)
    The problems are being addressed "early on". VW as a brand has been in trouble for more than a few years now. Although not quite as bad or as long as GM though.
  • joem5joem5 Posts: 201
    My wife drives a BMW 5 . I drive an Accura Type S no problems.it's bullet proof except for cheap leather seats. At 30k they replaced back on front drivers side. Also, My Integras did the same thing.
    Now for the crazy part. I want heated seats,regular gas and a nav system.
    I've been reading horror stories on here about VW for 3 years.
    What if, I buy a Golf with all the above as Honda doesn't offer heated seats in their Civic, or a H/B model.
    I would spend the extra bucks for an extended warranty.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Posts: 483
    If the Golf (or other VWs, for that matter) really were so bad, the millions of Europeans buying it would all have to be crazy, I guess. Fact is that VWs are not as reliable as, say, most Hondas or Toyotas. By about a factor of 2, currently (but improving with the new generation). So, that means if you have one problem with one of the other cars in a given amount of time, you would have two with a VW (or less, if they are indeed improving). If reliability is your number one priority, that may matter. If you feel life is too short to miss out on a great driving experience, the difference may be irrelevant. VWs also carry a good warranty, and their engines are generally bulletproof and last a long time (oil changes required).

The new Golf will be out in a few months (end of June to end of July for the various models). I know you mentioned regular gas (which the 2.5l engine - same as in the Jetta - will take), but you may also want to consider the new 2.0TFSI engine. It is much more powerful, but uses less gas. In the end, you will likely break even, although it requires premium gas. You can test drive it in the GTI or in the Jetta/GLI.
  • Re: "If you feel life is too short to miss out on a great driving experience, the difference may be irrelevant."

I agree with your post (my '96 Golf GL AT is going strong), however, I don't think the 2.0TFSI engine will be available in the USA. I may be wrong. The new 2.5L is a more powerful engine than the current 2.0L but is also less fuel efficient. Always a trade-off somewhere, eh? I just wish we'd get more TDIs in the USA, but that's not VW's fault.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Just as much of a problem as the reliability of recent models (starting with the 1999 New Beetle from what I've witnessed personally), is the dealership's inability to deal with customers in a proper way. They are an antonym to the "customer is always right" theory. They go out of their way to make you feel like a fool.

A family friend (with the 99 NBeetle Turbo) just spent $2200 on electical problems after 2 months at the dealer repair shop.

It IS a blast to drive, though, more fun than my Honda. But her New Beetle cost $25,000 new, another $3100 since then after p0st-warranty-repairs.

Get the Warranty and a friendship with the people at Hertz rent-a-car. You'll be fine.
  • david62david62 Posts: 2
    My 1985 Golf just (finally) bit the dust. Still it had a better ride than my 2001 Civic - and certainly better handling. No question Honda fit and finish is better and no question that on average, the civic will be a cheaper car to maintain. But my 85 Golf served my very well with nothing more than a fuel pump (or two) needed along the way. The Civic engine should last longer but not so sure about the transmission - we'll see.

The only reason why I didn't buy another VW is price - the Golf's around me (PA) have been pretty expensive and I was able to get a really good deal on the Civic. Also, I'm not sure about the quality of VW's Mexico factory. Anything from Germany wouldn't be an issue.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    On number of relability failure complaints. If you have any doubts about VW relability look at the article in the April 2006 Consumer Reports "Reliability: Progress has stalled"

Cheers,

MidCow
    I agree with your post (my '96 Golf GL AT is going strong), however, I don't think the 2.0TFSI engine will be available in the USA

It is currently available in the 3-door US MKV GTI (and in the Jetta, the GLI, Passat, A3, and A4). It will be available in the 5-door GTI starting July. Whether it will ever be in the US Golf likely depends on US sales: in the US, the Jetta is the strong seller; elsewhere, it is the Golf.

I need 5 doors and like this engine - so the choice is easy for me. You can paint the middle of the GTI grill body color, to make it look a bit less aggressive... ;)
    My 1985 Golf just (finally) bit the dust. Still it had a better ride than my 2001 Civic - and certainly better handling. No question Honda fit and finish is better and no question that on average, the civic will be a cheaper car to maintain. But my 85 Golf served my very well with nothing more than a fuel pump (or two) needed along the way. The Civic engine should last longer but not so sure about the transmission - we'll see.

The only reason why I didn't buy another VW is price - the Golf's around me (PA) have been pretty expensive and I was able to get a really good deal on the Civic. Also, I'm not sure about the quality of VW's Mexico factory. Anything from Germany wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, a 2001 Civic would have better fit and finish than a 1985 Golf - but not any recent models compared side-by-side in the same model year. There is no question that inside materials, ergonomics, and outside paint, finish, and general assembly of the Golf is superior. Reliability is another issue, as discussed.

As a side note, the US MkV GTI and Golf are built in Wolfsburg, not that it matters.
  • Ok so i am a struggling college student..... So i look to buy a reiable fun car after my other was totaled.. I came across a 1994 Acura Integra Gsr. Fast, Sporty, reliable, right? Wrong.
    Within one year this happen
    1. New half shaft $225
    2. New exhuast $250--great deal
    3. New slave cylinder $520
    4. New radiator $320
    5. New Thermostat $120
    6. New rear brakes and 1 new caliper $520

Total form 11/05--2/06 $1955.00
    Guess what? Needs new timing belt ($600+)
    To bad i won't have to put that in beacuse it was stolen 3 weeks ago!

I also thought i was buying this car from a reliable owner

So what did i get?

1990 Volkswagen Corrado G60
    I was told that this is one of the least reliable cars, but i don really care any more. Why?
    1.Better performance
    2.Handles better
    3.More options
    4.Looks 10x better
    5.Unforgettable ride! :P
    before you bought it. I just bought a 1996 Civic with 126K on it. I haven't done anything but put gas in it. Doesn't need a thing. But then again, I did have it inpected before I bought it.

I've bought over 10 used Civics and haven't done any coolant system work on any of them. I have bought a couple halfshafts and timing belts though. Keep us posted on that Corrado after you've owned it for a while. I'm sure you coulda said the same stuff about the Integra right after you bought it.

The Corrado didn't get such a sorry reputation for nothing. They really didn't sell that many of them to get such a bad reputation. Something musta really been wrong wit em. TMV has em around $1000 though. Not a bad buy.
  • I get a kick out of this forum...which car is better...and I like your response. Very diplomatic and aware that everyone can be right, based on diversity of opinion, etc. I for one agree with your submission as I worked in the former Yugoslavia during the bosnian and kosovo wars. VW is durable, because that is what all the bosniaks and albanians told me and drove - and the roads there were pretty bad. A honda, a toyota, never would last in such conditions of mud and potholes, etc. I saw a few and they looked bad... all the moulded bumpers were flapping in the wind and the door jams would be squeaking away and air would pass through the cracks. VW golf? Well, they go and go, albeit with maintenance... but, if you look at a VW door hinge, for example, you can hang off the door....go ahead, put your whole 200 pounds on the open door and hang.... now do it with your honda or toyota... I bet you won't even try... reliable means never having to hit a pothole...having salt on your roads and ice hanging off your quarter panels. Also, if you put your hand under the rear wheel well of a VW, it has no edge... no accumulation of snow and salt and mud...check your honda or toyota... I agree, they are great cars, don't get me wrong... and VW is a great car as well...however, a TDI is a car that can haul anything, passes gas cars on hills and never lumbers... you can take your foot off the clutch and it drives up hills... gas cars are less economical because you HAVE to push the gas pedal to even move forward on a flat surface. TDI, great in traffic...no more pushing and letting go of the clutch...gas engine feel. Stiff, solid, no rattles, VW... year after year...I have a 2003 and no problems... I like the drive of the VW... and I thought I would never buy one after seeing albanians driving like maniacs in them...5 star rating in crash tests... economy... what is not to like? Take care of it and it will take care of you...durability lasts longer then reliability. Reliable means you can miss service or maybe avoiding responsibility... VWs need love...and love means never having to say for sale...or, saying "I will be right back" to your kids. VW owners, it seems to me, wave like bikers to passing VW owners... and I must say, there are alot of beautiful women driving VWs! WOW! With 4% of the car marker in the US, VW means you are not average...maybe that is why we wave to each other like we found someplace to hang out amidst the masses... and for alot cheaper then the people who truly are. I miss my car.
  • If you don't want to do anything but put gas in a car and it runs and runs, get a Honda. If you don't want to take care of your kids, put them in summer camp... if you don't want to prepare your own meals go to a restaurant...if you get a VW, you may have to do something, God forbid!
    Has a lot more to do with politics than reliability. And I don't usually hang on my car doors.

I love the drive of the VW too though. I've driven quite s few of them. The new Jetta drives like it was cast from a solid brick. But the new 5 cylinder engine was gutless and sounded labored. I know you have to rev a Honda, but at least the engine loves it.

Not a fan of turbos or diesels. And combining them with the VW reliability history is even more worrisome to me. I'll take a Toyota or Honda hybrid instead if I wanted max gas mileage.

I don't have to profess my personal history with my Hondas to prove anything. VW doesn't have its reputation for nothing. Hyundai and Kia are proving that you can turn your reputation around with hard work and perseverance. Maybe the new Jetta and Golf will turn the reliability coin over for VW. The Toureg hasn't.

But hey...Somebody has to buy them. If you just want a VW, there's nothing wrong with that. All of them couldn't be bad. You just can't use "reliability" as a cornerstone of the debate. Safety, driver's car, and durable maybe, but it just might not start every morning.

"If you don't want to do anything but put gas in a car and it runs and runs, get a Honda."

That's funny. That's like saying it's better to be a diabetic because having a working pancreas is just too easy. Or how about Kidney failure. Dialysis every other day adds to the life experience.