Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer instrument cluster is out

Comments

• My 2004 Trailblazer ext has lost tach, oil pressure, temp, speedometer. Gas guage still seems to be ok but we certainly do not trust it. Also quoted $800.00 for gauge repair from Chevy dealer in SW Florida. I too have issues with the stalling and the idle. It hurts the budget a little bit but we have been using premium fuel and that seems to help with the idle and stalling. Mine is at 105K. It sure would be nice if GM stepped up. Thank God for the GPS to help manage with the speed.
  • I had the same issue with my 2004 Trialblazer EXT. The driver motors on the instrument clusters are junk and fail intermittently. Please do not spend hundreds of dollars to get it repaired. IF you are fairly handy and can do basic soldering you can fix yourself with a $35 kit found on amazon. IF you are not comfortable with soldering the new driver motors on then you can send your instrument cluster our for repair or some places will just swap yours for another repaired and keep yours as a core to shorten turn around times. There are videos on you-tube also that will walk you through the process.
  • I am having similar problems with my 2004 Trailblazer EXT (76,000 miles). It is stalling at stop lights, but not every time I drive it. I was told that it was because there wasn't a good seal on y gas cap, so I bought a new one. I also had problems with the Service Engine Soon light coming on and was told it was the thermostat, so the thermostat was replaced and the radiator flushed. The light hasn't come on since that was replaced. Sometimes the Service 4-Wheel Drive light comes on occasionally. I am mostly worried about the stalling. It happened tonight at the first stop light I came to after driving about 2-3 minutes. It also happened 4 days ago at a stop light. It's driving me crazy! I keep reading different things about what's wrong and what to do. It's very frustrating
  • I'm experiencing EXACTLY the same problems with my 2005 Trailblazer. Have you found a resolution yet?

At first my gas gauge broke so I had that repaired...they then told me that the stalling would be fixed if they replaced the fuel pump...$750.00 later, I'm stalling now on a daily basis. In the meantime, I have a loose gascap that seems to trigger the check engine light.

I'm perplexed and my husband is too. I don't want to bring it back to the dealer and get charged more money without a resolution and have them charge me for something else that doesn't need to be fixed.

Please let me know if anyone else has found a resolution to their similar problem.
  • Replacing my gas cap and getting a new thermostat fixed my "check engine" problem. The stalling seems to only occur when I am on an incline or decline and if I haven't driven it very far. I talked to 2 different mechanics at 2 different places (one Chevy and one independent) and they both said that in order to figure out what it is, the SUV would need to be "coding" something currently and mine is not. We tried to hook it up at O'Reilly's auto parts, but the codes can't be old ones; they have to be current or you have to take it to a mechanics for $95. I was told to keep driving it until it happens more often. It starts right up after it stalls, but it's still a huge pain in the %$#!!! I have stopped the shuddering at my intial stop (stop sign) in the morning by letting the SUV warm up a little bit. I usually start it up and take off, but I have been starting it, letting the RPMs drop under 1 and then take off. It's helping.
  • Have you worked with Customer Assistance on this matter? If we can look into this further with you, please send an email to us at socialmedia@gm.com with the following information so we can get a case set up: your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, the name of your involved dealership and information about your previous repair attempt(s) on this matter (including date and price paid, if available).

Thank you!
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I had the same problem with the trailblazer stalling out at a light or stop sign. Not a big deal at first until it starts to get worse and happens more often. I went to the dealer and they replaced one of the six coils that the spark plug wire connects to since these trucks do not have a distributor cap and rotor like the old school autos. Each coil costs over $250 to replace and I only had one replaced and the stalling stopped. I would reccomend that you get a fuel induction and throttle body cleaning service with BG products too (about $125.) It has been about two years since and the stalling is starting to happen again. I think you have to wait for a coil to get bad enough where the stalling happens alot for the mechanic to know which coil is the problem. Eventually I will probably have to replace the other 5 one by one as this seems to be a manufacture defect from GM. I am not sure if you can replace these coils yourself but of you can get the parts cheap than replace all 6 while you are at it. I had to replace the main pulley wheel in the front of the engine about 3 times on this truck too. You will hear a grinding noise from the engine when that starts to go and when you look under the hood it is obvious... Also, if the AC fan ever breaks make sure you have not only the fan replaced but also the wire harness relay that connects to it all located under the glove box. I had to replace the fan twice because it was the wire harness that connects directly to the fan that was the cause of damaging the fan. I had to replace the gas tank due to the faulty gas guage not working. I had to replace the instrument cluster due to the spedometer not working. I had the tranny replaced at about 34,000 miles... I just had the ball joints replaced and both upper control arms... The only good thing is I had the brakes replaced at the dealer at about 45,000 miles and they are still good over 45,000 miles later but the tradeoff is that since the first day I replaced the brakes I have been hearing an annoying squeaking noise when I apply the brakes coming from the front. I just the genuine GM brakes are made out of solid metal or something and they hold up for a long time...I do not trust Chevy anymore. My truck has 93,000 miles and thank god I had an extended warranty. My next purchase is going to be a mercedes glk 350.
  • I stopped at the mechanic's today to ask why the RPM dial keeps getting stuck between 7 and 0, he told me he had the same problem with his Tahoe, and the only who can fix it was the dealer, and it would const me close to 800, so I called the dealer and indeed they told me it would cost that much, i did some research online and i found out that there a lot of people with the same issue, but since is not an "safety" issue Chevrolet will not recall it, but i think that is CRAP! seems to me that CHevrolet uses disposable parts so we expend a lot of money fixing them, instead of doing good reliable cars, no wonder they almost went out of business, this is my 1st and last chevrolet i ever owned, i will go back to ford, those are made with better parts, and last longer, my husband has a work pickup 98 ford, and for the last 9 years the only thing that pick up needs is just tune up and oil change no mayor repairs, or defective parts. SHAME ON YOU CHEVROLET, i hope you go bankrupt again for GOOD!!!!
  • Good morning nomorechevys3,

We're sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your instrument cluster on your Tahoe. If you would like for us to check into this further, please email us the following information at socialmedia@gm.com: your name and Edmunds username, your phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

• I hope someone can help me. Okay on a Sunday morning I was drive my chevy trailblazer to church and all the lights on the dash came on and the gauges quite working like if my car stalled but it didn't so I called my husband and he told me to switch it off and turn if back on so I did and everything worked fine until I was leaving church and it did it again but then the service 4wd light was on so we took it to get it worked on they said it was the instrument cluster so we had it sent off and we got it back the other day and it still didn't fix the problem. The battery light is on the brake light is on and the abs light is one and air bage light is on and the gas, temp.., battery, oil pressure gauges does not work we took the alternator off and it isn't bad. we have no idea what it could be and times are really tough on us right now and can't afford to take it to the shop to get it worked on. And i was just wondering if someone has had the same problem or can someone help us I would really appreciate it and please say a prayer that we can get this fixed for my family thank u and God Bless All..
  • Good evening ssphar1985,
    We're sorry to hear about this situation with your Trailblazer. If you would like for us to check for any warranty or recall information, please email the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we'll see what we can find and go from there.

• I am not positive but that sounds like the start of one of the coils from the coil pack that connects to each spark plug wire going bad...It may only be one coil that would need to be replaced...I would have a mechanic run it on a machine and see if they can detect that....This sounds like the problem if it only happens like at a drive thru or a stop light. It will start to happen more frequent as you go...I never had my car stall out while driving but it would either stall out or feel like it is going to stall out when stopped at a light. I think the price was over $250 to replace one coil.
  • I too have a 2004 and they told me that my cluster is out! Almost 800+ dollars to fix. Chevy ought to be ashamed! So many problems with this very same thing!
  • My husband and I just bought a 04 trail blazer yesterday, everything was great then after we got it home and drove it around the block a few times the gas hand stopped working which I thought wasn't a big deal cause my husbands in his truck hadn't worked for years and he has a 01 silverodo and just recently he got that fixed. So today I was driving it and the speedometer just stopped working so my husband took it to auto zone to have them hook it up to their computer and on the way he called me and said the speedometer was working but now the check engine light was on. So they hooked it up and told him it looked like the O2 sensor and I noticed when the trail blazer is idoling that it is kinda a sluggish idol. I'm just really upset about the whole deal because everyone in my family owns a Chevy and we just bought it yesterday and I don't know what to do. My husband is taking it to the dealership first thing in the morning but I'm still worried because I'm afraid to spend money and it not fix the problem, I'm relying on this vehicle to get my daughter which is 2 and myself around, does anyone have any suggestions? Please!!!! And Thanks!!!!
  • My wife's 2004 Trailblazer has had the gauges malfunction recently. Some days they don't work at all and other days they work intermittently and make sounds. The last 8 digits of the VIN are: 42380799. The vehicle is in mint condition and has 77,000 miles. Our local dealer is Harbor Chevrolet in Michigan City, Indiana.

We are loyal GM customers and have bought a dozen new GM vehicles through the years and currently own the Trailblazer, a Tahoe LTZ and 2 Buicks. We were wondering since there seem to be so many issues with these dash clusters if there was or is a recall?

Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    gsxman,

I searched your VIN and did not see any open recalls or special coverages pertaining to this issue. If we can look into anything further for you, please contact us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

• First let me say that GM has had numerous problems with IC s I have my own Auto shop have had alot of these repaired , The stealership sends the ics out for repair , as a repair shop the cost to me is $225.00 for complete repair , so call your local dealer's parts depo and tell them u need to drop it off for repair and whats the cost , if they ask what shop tell them your a small local shop use ur last name etc and pay cash with tax thats it .

as far as needing an engine that sounds like a con job get another opinion, this is common for Gm ics
  • As far as the car stalling goes, does it idle at a consistent rpm or does it fluxuate all over the place? If the idle is all over the place or inconsistent(watch your tach if you have one or have one that works) then I would suggest replacing the Camshaft Actuator Solenoid. This part can be purchased a NAPA for around $70.00 and is fairly easy to install if your mechanically inclined. I have replaced this part twice on my Trail Blazer and it solved the problem with stalling every time. It will not help with the dash cluster. That is a different problem all together and GM knows it. The GM dealership should have been able to easily figure the stalling problem out with out too much trouble because it is a very common problem with these vehicles also (separate forum) and almost always relates to the replacing this solenoid.
  • I have a 2005 Trailblazer and recently my oil gauge stopped working completely and now my speedometer has also stopped working. For about 2 weeks my speedometer would bounce around but never read the actual speed I was going. It generally stayed at 70 mph even when I was stopped. I have had nothing but problems with this car and will never buy another. When I called and got a quote from Chevy it was around $800 to fix the tachometer. It is upsetting to see so many other people having the same problem and Chevy refuses to fix the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    mizzolsen,

We can certainly understand if you pursue alternatives; if you do decide to work with the dealership we would be happy to stay with you through that process to make sure everything was repaired to your satisfaction. Let us know - we can be contacted at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and a brief summary for us if you do email).