Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2010 Ford Mustang First Look / First Drive / Full Test

Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,024
Remember when we were all talking about the return of the muscle-car wars? You know, the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro, 2009 Dodge Challenger and 2010 Ford Mustang locked in a V8-powered, testosterone-saturated, mustache-stroking, smack-talking, [non-permissible content removed]-slappin', patch-laying death match? That was great. Good times. Way better than the housing/financial/automotive apocalypse that's now upon us.

2010 Ford Mustang First Look

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

Comments

• Hey, at least we can afford the fuel for these beasts now! $1.50 a gallon, happy days are here again!
  • My next door neighbor just brought one home like the one you tested. He works for an aftermarket tuner in Northern California. He can't get over the great styling of the new one. We both love the Cougar tail lamps. Just to to let you know how much he likes it, I just saw a For Sale sign go up in the window of his Nissan 350 Z. He said he is sick and tired of the lack of passenger room and sub-par quality of the Nissan (problems with brakes, oil leaks, condenser, and terrible dealer service). He told me he is trading up. I agree wholeheartedly.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    The new 2010 Mustang is gettting great writeups & reviews. It seems that some of the interior shortcomings of the current car have been addressed & with the '09 Bullitt suspension standard on every GT, maybe FORD really isn't in trouble. I can't wait to see the 2010 Mustang at the NY Auto Show.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Great that the new car has improved mechanicals, thus better handling abilities.

In typical Manufacturers fashion, Ford has screwed up the styling of the 05 to 09 car by attempting to modernize it's looks for 2010. The car is no longer appreciated by baby boomers like myself. Does not retain the former retro look as well.

The interior is softer and more PRETTY for the masses. No longer the simple and functional look of the 05 to 09. Now too many buttons on the steering wheel and too much complication of controls on the center console. The air vents of the 05 to 09 car were the best practical design ever, they are gone now. Best improvement in 2010 interior is better looking door panels, but they appear to still have hard plastic on top (where I rest my arm) and that was the ONLY thing wrong with interior of 05 to 09 car.

Ford has added "features" like rear view camera, and other junk accessories which are unnecessary. Has anyone seen the "metallic" fuel filler door option on the 09 car for $135. Well it is made of plastic with a shiny finish...about a $2. value. What are they thinking?

I hope to find a used 08 or 09 Bullitt for myself after the disappointment of the 2010 car.
  • I see Pros and Cons about the New Ford Mustang.

But we need fuel efficient cars for the future. How about a muscle car with fuel cells to boost power or solar panels on the roof like BMW is starting to do. We honestly can't go in a totally different direction as this, but we have to concentrate on fuel economy for the future.

It used to take 5 to 7 years to design a car, start to finish. I think we have it down to 3 or 4 years now. Are we going to be stuck with cars that are all ready in the middle of the drawing board when we need fuel efficient cars now?

I hope this is the only muscle car for Ford. We need a new direction that Ford needs to take us. Looks like Chrysler will be out of the picture in the next yr or so. I hope Ford doesn't get anywhere near taking us in that direction.

I couldn't believe when I saw the Nissan GT got Motor Trend Car of The Year.
    Is this what we are awarding car companies that do not have our future in mind? Maybe we need a Edmunds Efficient Car of the Year Award. EEC Award. Make it happen !!!! I don't need the credit for thinking of the idea.. lol

We need to award car companies that are doing what is best for our Country.
    Stylish fuel efficient cars with some power.

Richard
  • dgs4dgs4 Posts: 66
    I am not a muscle car fan by any stretch of the imagination. Not only do I not appreciate the horrible gas mileage they get, but the lack of sophistication and resulting image they project is also not to my liking. That being said I think this new Mustang looks very good. It has a modern look to it now, but it's still recognizable as a Mustang. The optional 19" wheels look dynamite. The interior is sweet looking from the pictures. I understand the car also gets stability control for the first time ever in a Mustang. That is a good thing!

Ford understands they must progress if they hope to keep selling cars like the Mustang. You can't keep appeasing the old fart baby boomers clinging to their lost youth by keeping the Mustang old school. If Ford loses some of the die hards with this redesign so be it. I think they're going to gain far more new fans to make up for it. You can count me in that group. Not that I would buy one, as a gas sucking V8 is not practical in today's world (don't think that gas is going to stay at $1.50 a gallon forever!). But I really admire Ford for modernizing this car in the areas that needed modernization and improvement.

The way forward indeed!
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    to this new 2010. My reasoning is of the front and rear-end styling. These are based on me looking at photos and reading the misc articles so hopefully in person the car will look better to me.

The front-end is too busy for my taste. Moving the turn-signals into the same area as the headlights is almost a reverse '70 headlight-area treatment. If you look at a '70 Mustang it has the single headlamps but outboard of those were two pockets. With the new front-end treatment it's too much of a transition from the headlight, through the turn signals, into the matte-black patch and finally at the grille. Add in the huge fog lamps and you have one busy-a front fascia.

With the rears it looks as though FOMOCO tried to mimic the '67/68 taillamp treatment by having vertical bars (which were part of the rear panel on the '67 & '68) separate the taillamp bars. This doesn't work here. The sequentials are an ok touch, but I would have preferred the ACTUAL T-Bird/Cougar/Shelby types (they actually had this longer taillamp design on the 2003 / 2004 show cars). Plus, they could have keep the same rear lamps and just added the sequentials to them.

I am glad they upgraded the interior materials but will have to reserve final judgement until I see / feel one in the flesh. And making the standard GT essentially the Bullitt in terms of suspension is good, with the modest hp bump.

Again, just my thoughts / opinions and hope I haven't offended anyone. But I can say that if in person the car looks the same as it does in the photos I've seen I will not be purchasing one (maybe a 2008 or 2009).
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Every test drive on Edmunds shows the front and rear "legroon" along with "headroon" etc.

Should somebody fix that? :)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I don't get the criticism. To me the 2010 is better all the way around - especially the interior. The 05-09 was very cheap - not anymore. The exterior looks tighter and more athletic. To each his own, I guess.
  • The newish Mustang is definitely an improvement on an already high value car. The GT model in particular seems to have hit all the right notes in terms of styling and performance - save the brakes. Ford seems to under-brake everything but their trucks.

My big concern, which I know will be realized, comes with the Shelby edition. For sure it will have a supercharged cast iron block engine, nose heavy weight distribution and a curb weight of over two tons. Is Ford even trying? Consumers should expect better than that for the price premium of a Shelby.

My proposal might be a little more complicated than the current formula but it would definitely make for a more satisfying car. First, forget that supercharged lump of an engine. Sure, it sounds like God's own dust buster and produces great numbers, but it throws the balance of the car off kilter. The replacement? Ford's new 6.2L Boss fitted with direct injection. That change alone would improve the balance of the car while providing more than adequate thrust, improved efficiency and lower emissions. Second - and this is where the cost comes from - modify the rear tub and move the transmission to the rear. This wouldn't necessitate a heavy and expensive IRS either. It could be mounted just forward of the rear pumpkin and attached via a very short drive shaft. Who gives a rip about rear seats in a Shelby anyway? And if the engineers can find a way to keep the seats, all the better. It's possible that two seats, although quite compartmentalized, could be sqeezed in with the transmission hump.

These two moves would make for a more balanced car while possibly improving acceleration due to better traction. I question what good the current car's 540hp is when it doesn't get to the pavement efficiently.
  • When will the 2010 Mustang hit the showroom?
  • When you look at the dodge and chevy come back to muscle cars, there goes Mustang with all the good ideas but no power to back it up. It can even come close to the power of the Camaro v 6 engine when it should be blowing it away being so much lighter. Why Ford does not come out with a 427 version is beyond me? Quit playing around and make people have to have this new stang, but with big set of balls as well!
    Ford will be releasing a 315 hp V6 3.7L and a 400 hp 5.0L for the 2011 model year (by next summer). With a 400 lb weight advantage it will blow away the heavier camaro and challenger.
  • I'm with jae5...I think the 2010 Mustang is much nicer inside and out than the '05-'09 versions. If I were in the market again, the 2010 would definately be at the top of the list.

I like the smaller headlights. I thought the '05-'09's had the "deer in headlights" look. The 2010 GT premium comes with some great options that some may think is a waste (aka back up camera) but if I felt the rear visability was limited, I have an option to deal with it instead of living with an issue that some say plagues the 2010 Camaro.
  • The look of the new 10 compaired to the 05 is way different. I love the look of the 10 better inside and out EXECPT the rear end. It is hidious and all covered in plastic. the only one that i have seen that looked half decent in the back was the cobra in the charcoal grey color. The plastic blends better. I own a HTC G6 GT and would have bought a Mustang if they made it in a hard top!
    Made what in a hard top? :confuse:
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,938
    He means hardtop convertible, hence the cryptic HTC he used.
    Didn't realize the G6 came as a HTC. And I was pretty sure that all mustangs were available with a hard top.......... :blush: