Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the current situation affect hybrid sales more?

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    They would have if the vehicle makers had any advance notice that fuel prices were going to go through the roof. But like everybody else in the world they were caught flat-footed. The lead time on increasing demand is 4 months minimum and 6 months typically. I was in that business for 30 yrs.

On top of that the US$ fell like a rock versus the JY so Toyota pulled back the supply of exports for the 2nd half of last year and all of this year.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    The Prius was always scheduled for production in April 09 with sales starting in May/June. Again forest/trees. The only figure that counts is year-end total sales.

The Insight II has had a free playing field for these last two months and next as the Gen 2 Prius winds down and the Gen 3 ramps up. Revisit this at the end of the year.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    I am agreeing with you. The fuel prices were the main impetus in the sales of the Prius last year. It is Larsb that hates to believe that could be the main reason that hybrids sell well.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    How many times I have to post this?

Gary says, "Toyota has put all its marbles into the wrong markets. The US buyer is fickle. And the meager Prius sales when gas is cheap, attests to my belief."

Gas prices and Prius sales do not have a direct correlation:

Sales in 2004: 53,991 Avg gas price 2004: $1.895

Sales in 2005: 107,897 Avg gas price 2005: $2.314
    Gas prices went up, and so did Prius sales.

Sales in 2006: 106,971 Avg gas price 2006: $2.618
    Gas prices went WAY up, and Prius sales BARELY dipped.

Especially notice the data in the last two years:

Sales in 2007: 181,221 Avg gas price 2007: $2.843
    Gas prices went up, Prius sales went WAY up.

Sales in 2008: 158,884 Avg gas price 2008: $3.299
    Gas prices went WAY up, Prius sales went DOWN.

There is no direct linear relationship between gas prices and Prius sales.

And people do not ONLY buy Priuses when gas prices are high.

People stopped buying Priuses when ALL car sales dropped. Not merely because gas prices came down.
    "Have it your way Toyota!"
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,479
    Tax incentives
    pay a lot to not pollute
    save gas
    when gas was at $4, they said it will soon be $7
    stop oil imports
    I have to drive very far
    availability
    additional dealer margin
    the health of the economy

these are 9 of the many factors affecting Prius sales.

gas prices ramped down from late Oct thru mid Dec 2008

what is the aug 2008 to jan 2009 prius sales look like as high gas ended?
    Yes, I agree on many of those factors.

I'm just pointing out that Prius sales don't fall off a cliff when gas is cheap.

A lot of Priuses sold BEFORE the gas spikes started.
  • newyorker6newyorker6 Posts: 2
    How does it look for leasing a 2009 Prius these days. I understand they may be hard to find. ??
    Wait a few weeks and lease the greatly improved 2010 model....:)
    They are overflowing the lots in CA. Take a vacation and drive one home. The dealers in San Diego list 60 available today. Use the Edmund's inventory feature for all the dealers in your area. I am sure the 2010 will be in short supply most of this year. Dealers will not have to deal on them to sell.
    Slam Diego is such a tiny Burg.

Here in Phx we have 212 listed for sale.

They are not short in supply.

Our New York friend's first post was this one....interesting....????
    75,000 cars world wide will not shake the losses from the Toyota bottom line. They had to drop the price of the Prius to compete with the Honda Insight. And they are still butt ugly. If they only planned on 40,000, will it leave 35k disgruntled people with a car on order? They only sold 73K Prius all last year. So I would say the economics and cheap gas have impacted hybrid sales. I don't think Toyota really cares. They probably make more money on a non hybrid Camry built here in the USA.
  • archer1archer1 Posts: 4
    I bought a 2009 Prius w/#2 package $21K out the door. Sticker was $24,500. I have put 350 mile on it and absolutely love it. I can't say enough good about the car. I drove the Honda insight and felt the Prius was a better car. Quieter, roomier feel, handled better, and a little more pep. MPG currently 45.
  • newyorker6newyorker6 Posts: 2
    I was looking and sitting in the Prius this past weekend in South NJ and being 6' tall I really felt cramped. Not enough left leg room for my long drives down to the shore each weekend. I was very disappointed and not sure what to do. I guess when in doubt do nothing. Has anyone else felt the same way? Does anyone know of a new car with all the high mileage that gives driver comfort too??
    Try the VW Jetta TDI. Many are getting 50 MPG on the road. They are much better handling than the Prius. Better quality materials overall. I think you would really like the Sportwagen if you haul lots of stuff to the beach. My few rides with a friend in his 2009 Prius was not very impressive. Noisy and rough riding.
    2009 Jetta TDI interior specs
    Internal dimensions:
    front headroom (inches): 38.4,
    rear headroom (inches): 38.1,
    front leg room (inches): 41.1,
    rear leg room (inches): 35.5,
    front shoulder room (inches): 54.8,
    rear shoulder room (inches): 53.1
    and interior volume (cu ft): 91.7

2009 Prius interior specs
    Internal dimensions:
    front headroom (inches): 39.1,
    rear headroom (inches): 37.1,
    front hip room (inches): 51.0,
    rear hip room (inches): 51.6,
    front leg room (inches): 41.9,
    rear leg room (inches): 38.6,
    front shoulder room (inches): 55.0,
    rear shoulder room (inches): 52.9
    and interior volume (cu ft): 96.2

Prius bigger for the driver than the Jetta TDI
    I can tell you your figures are a myth. Go sit in both then get back to me. I have and the numbers do not match reality. Same goes for the Accord and Civic that my head touches the headliner. I don't like driving with the seat tilted back to have enough headroom. Besides he already said HE DID NOT LIKE THE PRIUS. He is looking for an alternative that gets equal mileage. Maybe you have some other options in that price range and MPG.

PS
    Luggage space in the Sportwagen is over double the Prius.
    Math is not a myth. Those are actual measurements.
    Gary screamed, "HE DID NOT LIKE THE PRIUS."

He said he thought the driver position was cramped - not that he "did not like" the Prius. But I was not pushing him into a Prius at all.

I was just letting him know that if the thought a Prius driver position was cramped, that the Jetta will be more cramped. That's the extent of the advice I was giving him.

If he thinks the driver positions on those two cars are too cramped, then there ARE no "high-mileage" options for a man his size, at least ones which I know about.