Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Have a Timing Belt or Timing Chain?

azerafanazerafan Member Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Hyundai
I am currently an Azera owner, and it is the best car that I have ever owned. I am about to replace my 97 Subaru Outback, and I am looking at the 2008 Santa Fe. Using the search feature here, I see that older Santa Fe's had timing belts. Since my Azera (3.8 L engine) has a timing chain, I am curious - can anyone tell me if the 2.7 or the 3.3 Santa Fe engines have a timing belt or a timing chain?

Comments

• tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    The 2.7 is a belt and the 3.3 is a chain. ;)
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    3.3L has the timing chain, but there are also other differences, such as the 3.3L being a V6, whereas the 2.7L is a 4 cylinder. If the timing belt breaks on 2.7L, the engine is toast. At least with a chain,it minimises risk of breakage.

The mpg difference is negligible between the two engines, but the 3.3L definitely has more power and flexibility, especially if you are hauling a trailer or boat. Others have expressed they would have rather got the 3.3L V6 after the fact.
    The 2.7 is a V6. Santa fe specsThere is no I4 option in the current Santa Fe line. Hyundai does have some I4's but only in the Tucson CUV and their passenger car line.
  • azerafanazerafan Member Posts: 4
    So, then do both the 2.7 and the 3.3 engines come with a timing chain?
    Just the 3.3. The 2.7 still uses a belt.
  • palmer6palmer6 Member Posts: 1
    2000 buick lesabre stalls out after 20 minutes of driving and driving in stop and go traffic. Car will stall out but not die out if faster speeds but the tach will die out ! Sometimes if no stall out while driving as soon as car is parked ... won't restart until 20 minutes later....any suggestions
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Yeah...trade it in on a Hyundai!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try the Buick LeSabre Starting/Stalling Issues discussion, Palmer6.
  • joshuagjoshuag Member Posts: 92
    I know for sure the 2.7 is a belt. My sister has this engine in her Santa Fe, and she just replaced her timing belt. This engine is getting pretty old so I am sure they will faze it out soon with a smaller V-6 with a chain.
This discussion has been closed.