Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

97 Dakota running problems PLEASE HELP !!!!!

2»

Comments

• hildyroxhildyrox Posts: 1
    Hey there! Before yesterday I have never had a problem with my truck. I have a 99 Dodge Dakota 2wd 5speed with the 3.9 V6 Magnum engine. Yesterday it Drove great. Until i let it sit for an hour or so then tried to go to my bank. I took off shifted into 2nd, it seemed to just lag. i didn't move my foot from the accelerator pedal, but it slowed down and the tach gauge would drop slightly. Let my foot off the gas and slammed it back down, it took off. Did the all the way up until the end of 4th gear. But If i hammer on it, and shift it at a higher RPM throughout the gears it seemed to not do it. I just don't know where to start!! Any ideas??
  • seleneselene Posts: 10
    I have a 93 Dakota 3.9 with 104K miles on it . It will restart in the winter, but when it's hot, it won't restart until it has cooled down. Then it runs fine. This last time, I got a "check engine" light and pulled the codes. It had a # 22 code, (ECT sensor voltage too high). Could a bad sensor cause this non starting problem? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • herbkellyherbkelly Posts: 1
    i had the same problem for a year. it is definately the CPK, or crankshaft posioning sensor. they work by sensing a magnet on the crankshaft and sending the signal to the computer telling it when to fire.

it's sually by the bell-housing or on it. you can try to clean it, because grease build-up can block the magnetic signal. this might save you money and hassle.

the part has a square end on it, wipe that off good and then try it.
    Thanks Herb for the info. I did change my coolant temperature sensor and that seems to have fixed the problem. Although, as all owners know, your vehicle loves to play little tricks on you and it may show up again. If it does, I will change the crankshaft positioning sensor as you suggested. Thanks again for the help.
  • tfw3tfw3 Posts: 1
    I just picked up a project dakota to piddle with and here's question...
    On level roads, everything seems to work just fine, however, when I travel up a hill, it slows down and doesnt get over 20 miles an hour. It acts like it has a governor system on it. The transmission seems to be shifting just fine and it doesnt seem to be slipping either.
    My sister who is a mechanic says that it could be the passing gear...Would appreciate any ideas.

tfw3
  • I have a 99 dodge dakota sport with v8 It will intermittently cut out for a second and the check engine light will flash it doesn't do it every time I drive it, but sometimes it may do it 3 or 4 times on one short trip. It idles fine and never dies and always starts. I hope I don't have to spend a lot of money on this, I need help!
  • you may have fixed the problem by now but i had this exact problem, i replaced the throttle position sensor and it runs like a brand new truck. no idling problems, no surges on the freeway, and it feels way more responsive to acceleration. This is the problem. Go to autozone and get a TPS for about 30 bucks, its worth it, and it will save u gas as well (because the surging probably uses more gas than it should).
  • yehawyehaw Posts: 2
    i had a 1997 dodge dakota 3.9. i bought the truck at 169,000 miles and got ri of it a 222,000 miles. it also had a idling problem but not all the time. the idler sensor on it would stick on it. i took it out every once in a while and tapped it on a hard surface a couple time when it got to bad. it worked for quite a while after that. it could be something to try.
  • Hey all, i have a 97 dakota 3.9 im having problems with. First of all the gas mileage is about 8-10 mpgs and is flooding out in idle when hot so yes its blowing black smoke with a rough idle. I have replaced plugs , wires, cap and rotor, even the distributor, map sensor.. When its cold start in the morning it runs great for about 10 mins even the idle is smoother, but when hot it runs like crap, idles bad and smokes. Any ideas????? Thanks
  • bammer1bammer1 Posts: 2
    I got a97 dodge dakota with 188k on it It Idles fine rebs up fine but you drop it in gear it runs rough like its misfireing Kick it down it seems to straighten out then drive it normal it will continue to feel like its misfireing Garage cant figure it out I replace plugs wires cap rotor button pick up coil temp sensor crank shaft sensor checked the injectors they seem ok also change the oxygen sensor in the converter check all vacume hose's air cleaner doesnt idle rough at all please Help me solve this issue .
    When the ambient temperature is cool/cold, my 93 Dakota with 111K miles on it will start but runs exceedingly rough. After it has warmed up, it will run ok. When the temp. outside is warm, it starts fine and runs fine without missing a beat. I have changed the Camshaft sensor, Crankshaft sensor, installed a new ECM, new coil, new O2 sensor, but still have the problem. Anyone out there with any suggestions? Thanks.
  • carvermancarverman Posts: 101
    You need to specify which engine is in your dakota as the components and
    sensors will differ from engine to engine type. If it starts and runs rough when
    cold but not after warming up, it could be (possibly) due to one of these:
    Idle air motor needs cleaning.
    IAT sensor (Intake Air Temp ) sensor
    Engine coolant sensor not providing correct information to PCM
    injectors need cleaning?
  • I know your post is old and you may have figured it out by now but for those out there who are having this problem may want to know this. Replace your upstream Oxygen sensor. My 99 Dakota went for a few months bucking and surging until it warmed up. I had to stomp on the gas or momentarily put it in neutral to get it to behave. The fuel/air mixture is trying to lean itself out and thus causing your symptoms. Eventually the check engine light came on. It was a bad O2 sensor. You must replace it with a factory MOPAR part!!! Do a basic tune-up...replace your plug wires, distributor cap and coil. Clean your throttle body. Replace the Throttle Position Sensor(TPS) and pvc valve. This will cost you in parts about $150 and you can do this stuff yourself.
  • I have been slowly working my way through the list of things to replace on my 97 dodge dakota. It was stalling out and not wanting to start replaced the Anti shut off relay ran good for about 50 miles.... then it would die and not start unless I took the key out and flicked the door locks 5 times....limped her home took out the anti theft system she started right up:) drove 1/4 of a mile and died again:( took out the IAC replaced it along with putting a new throttle body gasket on too. She had a bad coolant leak so I replaced all rad. hoses... found a bad bypass hose and decided to change the fan clutch, water pump, thermo etc. and noticed a gummed up PCV replaced that and a vac. line. She started up ran great for about 125 miles now she is being picky about when she will start:( She has a new battery, O2 sensor, ignition coil and crankshaft sensor. I think my next step will be the TPS Throttle position sensor located on the side of the throttle body. Anyone have any other suggestions? I just got her about 2 months ago and the engine sounds great, she looks clean and straight inside and out just have to figure out these kinks:) :sick: :confuse:
  • vwilkesvwilkes Posts: 1
    You may check the fuel pressure gauge up to it and while driving up hill see if fuel pressure drops. If it drops something could've got into the tank If going uphill it could cause the object to restict the fuel pickup which would be indicated if you have a fuel gauge hooked up to it..... Hope this helped....
2»