Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

93-95 Ford Probe

MaximMaxim Posts: 2
edited March 17 in Ford
Just wondering if anyone has one of these.
Planning on purchasing one in a few weeks and was
wondering how satisfied you are with them. If
someone would be so kind as to list the pros and
cons.
By the way, I'm looking into the 5speed model.
Thanks.

Comments

• mznmzn Posts: 727
    This is a good time to highlight our Search feature. Knowing that the Ford Probe is one of the cars that is sometimes classified as a hatchback (because it has a hatch) and othertimes as a coupe (because it has two doors and is "sporty,") I did a search of Conferences and Topics for the word "Probe."

Sure enough, I found a discussion in the Coupes area that I think will answer some questions for you. Other discussions were listed as well. Try it and see.

Of course, we're still interested in hearing from current Probe owners here in this topic! Can anyone share his own experience?
  • EstebanEsteban Posts: 1
    My mother owned a loaded 93 probe GT,I drove it a few times and it was sure a fun car to drive.She had some thing go wrong with the computer on it within the second year she had it,the dealer took
    care of it.She traded it in for a Jeep Wrangler the following year.I ran into an old friend of mine a while back and he purchased a used 93 Probe GT and was very unhappy with it.It had about 60K on it and he claimed the alternator went out on it and the price for a new one is VERY expensive, somewhere around 600 bucks?He also had to replace his front wheel brake disks and they where very expensive also.He claimed all parts for the Probe
    are expensive cause they are all MAZDA parts.
  • ppeteppete Posts: 1
    i got a '94 probe gt n yes, all parts for this sucker will cost u more then any other car in this car's price range. i've been quoted outrageous prices for OEM replacement spark plug wires(which seem to be lousy on the probe) n break rotors n other maintenance parts. even tires for this sucker is expensive. but, on the good side, for the same price as Motorcraft replacement parts, u can get performance parts. for instance, rather then purchase new break rotors from Motorcraft, or any other usual source, i went w/ cross drilled rotors for the same amount of money($60 each). but i have to agree, this is an expensive car to upkeep, n if it didn't look so damn cute, i'd ditch mine a long time ago.
  • jmilljmill Posts: 1
    I HAVE a 1993 probe 4cyl, 5-speed. I brought it used 14 mos ago. In the beginning, it had a stalling problem. The dealer could not figure it out. It would only happen in very warm weather.
    The cure was to rev the engine very high for about
    five minutes. Now it does not happen anymore. The exhaust system has been replaced from the cat. converter to the muffler, it was only 195.00 installed. It moves pretty well and is great on gas. I am looking to add a few more ponies. Any ideas?
  • I bought a 93 Probe GT in December and I like it, but I've had a few problems. The a/c was running water in to my passenger seat, but the drain was just plugged. I got a history on the car from the place it was serviced before I owned it and they also had this problem. I also am noticing how much everything costs for this thing. I need to get my front brakes replaced soon, any suggestions on good brakes and why?
  • Try Metal Master pads from Axxis. They are an aftermarket maker of OEM style brake pads. I have had them on my 96 Probe GT for about 7 months now and they are ALOT better than the factory brake pads the car came with. Basically I replaced the OEM pads at 21,000 miles because they gave the pedal a soggy feel and after repeated stops the brakes started to fade. With the Metal Masters, the soggy feel of the pedal is gone, the brakes do not fade after repeated hard braking, the car stops shorter and with less effort. Also, they are not to expensive. They are about $60 for a set of 4 pads for the front. Most performance suppliers carry them as well as some local parts stores.
  • I have a 95 PGT, and overall am very pleased with it. There have been problems with the door handle springs (inside the door) popping off and denting the doors from the inside out. Ford fixed it under warranty, but out of warranty could be a problem. Pre 95 versions have had problems with corrosion of a pivot bolt in the rear brake causing the parking brake to lock up (with the brakes on. And the interior is the most rattle prone car I've had in many, many years.

But it looks great, sounds great, and is a blast to drive.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    "Looks great, sounds great, and is a blast to drive" sounds good to me! Thanks for the report, bjmeyer!

carlady/host
  • 93 Probe GT with 115K miles. Problem, Check Engine warning light comes on after 3 miles of driving. Turn the engine off and the light stays off for another 3 miles. MPG has decreased by 4. So far a local shop has replaced the oxygen sensor and cooling sensor. Problem persisted and then the car quit running. This time they replaced the cranking sensor and the complete distributor assembly. No change, after the 5th time in their shop they gave up. Ford dealer has now replaced the air charge sensor and the valve cover gasket assembly. They said that an oil leak was fouling my new oxygen sensor. Total cost so far $2,581.40. Problem, the Check Engine warning light comes on after 3 miles driving. Any suggestions?
  • I've been considering purchasing a 93 Probe (Not the GT) from a friend. The car has 54k miles and the owner said that so far she has not encountered any mechanical problems. I've heard that this car is fun to drive but as I read the messages posted above it seems that the Probe may have some costly maintenance problems. (Not that any other type of car doesn't have its own problems.) Does anyone highly recommend this car or would you say that there are better alternatives for this age and mileage?

Thanks!!!
  • bjmeyerbjmeyer Posts: 24
    Brand new, never used Borg Warner premium plug wires, in the box. I paid $120 for these for my 95 PGT, which someone else courteously totalled for me before I could put them on. I'd like to get $100, and I'll include shipping in that price.

Please e-mail me at meyer_b@rocketmail.com

Thanks.
  • darwindarwin Posts: 2
    i am looking into buying a 94'to 96' probe but I have not heard to much about these cars and would like to get some opinions on them.
  • enigma23enigma23 Posts: 36
    Good cars but watch out for premature steering rack wear out as well as misaligned synchros(5-Speed models), as well as rattles. Probe's are extremely rattle prone expecially the dashboard and hatch area.
  • sylasyla Posts: 1
    I'm also looking into a 93 probe gt, so if anyone has any strong for or against arguements, i'd be very grateful. It's my first car (graduation present) and i'm really excited about it. I've heard mixed reviews, so should i go for it?
    a 93 I would not go for unless the previous owner kept really good repair records and the repair records show good reliability.
  • tffkaptffkap Posts: 11
    I was wondering if anyone knows the specific torque and hp numbers for a 95 probe gt. 24v v6. Also top speed, o-60 times, etc. Any info would help! Thanks
  • bmonahanbmonahan Posts: 1
    I own a 94 PGT manual trans - the 94-97s are identical interms of power output (acording to Ford.)

peak hp - 164 at the crank, about 133 at the wheels

peak torque - 160 at the crank

0-60 - everyone seems to have it pegged at 7.5 sec
    1/4 mile - I've seen anywhere from 15.8 - 15.3.

I love the car and have very few problems other than the "normal" problems all 93-95 PGT owners typically have! (bad plug wires, locking parking brake level, rattles.) It's a reasonably quick car with a very high "fun-to-drive" factor.
  • vidgeekvidgeek Posts: 1
    I agree with enigma23 about some of the Probe's shortcomings. I have a '95 GT and the steering rack is starting to make popping sounds on hard turns or quick switchbacks. I had it looked at but all looked well. The rattles in the hatch are annoying and in my case, are related to the hatch lock.
    I installed a rear strut brace in my 96 Probe GT about a week ago and it has a made a noticeable difference. The rear end definately feels tighter, more solid, and the amount of rattles from the hatch area have decreased.
  • hbund216hbund216 Posts: 162
    Looking at a 93 Probe. Any experiences with 93 probes with 4 cylinder engines? This one has about 83,000 miles. Any problems with the front axles?
  • ...A 4 cylinder Probe? Performance, handling and lookin' are just "horrendous". Get the GT, they cost just a little bit more than the SE 4cyl. I know somebody who bought an SE and now he is very unhappy with his ride. He paid $11k! for a 95 Probe with 75k miles...no comments!
  • Where is everyone??? They got rid of the Probe Topics in the Coupes conference, so now everyone should be in here talking about Probe's!!!!!
  • I own a 93 probe, GT. Car is definitely fun to drive. Had a water pump go out at 70K miles, just replaced. Ford installed a new AC compressor at about 30K, I think I'm about to put in its third at 78K. CV joints are going bad (a low rattling sound when accelerating and turning). But I've heard that that might be covered under a Factory extended warranty... anyone?

Also, mine is "Teal" (light metallic blue) color. The paint has started to "dissolve" in two spots on the hatch. It's allot more than normal oxidation, it's actually gone almost down to the metal. I've seen two other 93-96 probes with the same paint that have the same problem. Anyone have Probe paint experience?
  • campoutcampout Posts: 22
    To answer some of your questions, I own a '95 Probe GT and the only problem it has had was with the electrical system not holding a charge, drained the battery and everything, but that was taken care of under warranty. The car itself has been a pleasure to drive, with Ford still made them. It only has 30k on it, has never seen snow. The color is Rio Red and no fading or discoloration. When it is waxed, it looks great!

Paul
  • Only major problem was ford rebuilt the tranny at 38K miles on my 96 PGT 5-speed. Some my fault some manufacturer's fault. Other than that most of the problems under warranty were minor like rattles and window adjustments. 45K miles later the paint is still basically perfect. Except for minor scratches and chips on the front end from flying debris. The black paint on my car still shines and still has it's luster. No cracking or fading.
  • mcdcmcdc Posts: 6
    I have a '95 GT and love it. A friend has a '90 GL(When I drive it, it is like driving a truck compared to the GT).

My friends has a couple problems that has me baffled. Both occur when in gear. It has an automatic transmission. When in drive and you hit about 1200 rpm or above there is a ticking in the area of the throttle position sensor(the ticking sounds like a cracked plug boot that is arching, but the plug wires are fine.)

The second problem is at a stop with the brakes applied and in any gear except park or neutral the front of the car shakes and shakes the steering wheel. I think this might be engine mounts. the car has 130K on it. does anyone have any suggestions?
  • 95 Probe GT at 70,000 mi showed oil in spark plug wells, fouling of spark plug wires etc. Replaced for $300 parts and labor. The original gasket material was hard, near to brittle.

Steering has a clanking sound when first started and cold out. After some minutes of operation it subsides, has been looked at but no solution.

Love the car, my second Probe
  • My Probe just had engine and transmission gaskets replaced, along with the transmission pan/hose replacement kit. In addition, I've replaced an engine sensor, heat pump, fan motor, battery, alternator and timing belt, and the "spark plug" wires arched last year. It has a leaky valve on the rack & pinion steering ($800 since they don't have a replacement for the seal) and the car now thumps when I accelerate between 10 and 40 mph. Any ideas -- besides trading it in?

Oh, and I left our the burning rubber smell that's emitted from the heater - since 11,000 miles. Great car -- please note that Ford officially told me my car is not a lemon.
  • only1harryonly1harry NYPosts: 1,140
    Of course they 're going to say that.
    Sure sounds like a Lemon to me. Too bad they were able to fix most of the problems the first time or right away. You could 've had a new car. Lemon laws should also include "the frequency at which parts break down" instead of just how many times you have to go back for the "same" failure/part..
    That's too bad, I feel sorry for you.
    Looks like the car is not under warranty anymore and you're still having problems like bad smells and thumping sounds, etc. I 'd trade it if I were you. I mean you 've had all kinds of problems like electrical, mechanical, gaskets, smells, noises, what are you waiting for? I 'd be scared the tranny or the motor might go any minute..
    It's these stories I hear all the time that keeps me from buying American sorry to say. I like the Probe a lot but reliability is always #1 for me.
    I hope those Cobra owners that filed the class action suit against Ford win big..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • sad thing is, it is a Japanese car. It's a Mazda MX6 with Ford parts
This discussion has been closed.