Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jmknappjmknapp Posts: 2
    I think the repair shop replaced the throttle position sensor and it took care of the problem for a few months and now its happening again. The gas pedal is hard to push down, but with enough force it will go. This only happens when in drive. The gas pedal operates fine when in park/neutral. Is it the tps they replaced? I can always call them, but what do you think?
  • I have a 1999 Plymouth neon with 38,883miles, I just recently purchased, it runs perfect except up hills it takes a little to get up to speed if it ever does IE when driving on a 40mph road after a red light it only got up to 35 until I get on a down grade, when it is on flat it runs perfect gets up to 65 fine on the highway, any suggestions on how I could fix this, I changed oil, spark plugs, brakes, air filter and added fuel injector cleaner, the only thing I am waiting for is for my spark plug wires to come in. Please offer any suggestions on what I could do
  • I need to replace my fuel accumulator on my 1999 Plymouth neon SOHC, the acceleration is not great and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. Being that it only has 38,991 miles on it and i checked everything this else and chaged plugs, oil, air filter...etc. in it, it is the only problem i can see causing it. I am asking if it is on outside near fuel tank or if it is in the enclosure for the fuel tank. Also any suggestions would be helpful if you think this is not the problem.
  • Never mind I found it located next to the gas tank underneat the rear passanger seats :)
  • mncarguy2mncarguy2 Posts: 1
    I have the same car. I also just recently purchased mine as well. All of your fixes fall under routine maintainance. I noticed this problem as well. Really what it boils down to is that this particular car lacks that umph that your probably used to. When you run into a hill I suggest turning the ac off and downshifting. One thing you could do is get the engine more air with a cold air/ short ram air intake. I'm going to try this myself. If you notice the air intake just kinda sits over the block and opens up in front of the radiator shroud, not particularly good air flow.
  • They definately fall under routing matinence, but I had my mechanic change my fuel filter and it improved a lot maybe try checking that. :)
  • dapplecodappleco Posts: 3
    hey guys
    i just got a 2000 neon 4 door 2.0 from my stepmom. the car was wrecked and had the radiator busted. i just got it to my home and want to make it road ready but it is missing a few parts:
    radiator
    cooling fans
    ac radiator
    trany cooling lines

i picked up a radiator and fans from pick a part and want to install it. easy enough. but i can not find the place to hook up the trany cooler lines. i see the stems off of the radiator but where do they go on the car???

help please!
    thanks
  • There are two bolts on the back of the power steering mount that you need to loosen. They are almost directly underneath the radiator upper hose. You don't have to take it off but it makes it a bit easier. Once those are loose, you should be able to slide the pump down to loosen the belt and there you go. To reinstall the belt just reverse the steps.
  • aaronn1aaronn1 Posts: 2
    I am wondering if I have a part missing. Looks like there should be a hose or something running from in front of the battery box to the air intake on top of the motor, but one end would be round and the other oval.
  • dapplecodappleco Posts: 3
    all fixed up figured it out
  • The oval opening you are talking about is probably the air intake extension that bolts to the intake manifold via a stud and nut assembly. That oval opening IS the end of the factory intake. The hole you see in the battery box is for cooling the battery. There should be a tube with an arch over the center of the opening. If it's still on your car, it would most likely be shoved down and out of view..
  • relic23relic23 Posts: 2
    1999 neon. I had a damaged water pump and took it to a mechanic. The mechanic changed the water pump and I also gave him a new timing belt to put in. The engine was fine and the only noise it made was from the broken water pump but now the engine won't start. The mechanic said that pieces of the water pump went into the timing belt and cause the pistons to damaged the valves. Can that happen or did the mechanic place the new timing belt wrong and cause the engine damaged. The compresion readings now are 24,24,25,10.
  • mgaldemgalde Posts: 2
    I have a similar situation on a 99 neon.
    I have visible oil on the spark plug wire in the plug cavity, as well as on the plugs themselves, the only one that appears to have oil in the cylinder is #1 plug.
    Is this a known problem for the neons, and is it easily fixable?
    If so, how so?

Also, the #1 plug is very dirty as though it is not firing correctly, I replaced all 4 plug yesterday (10-12-09). I checked to see that the coil is working, and got good spark, so I am guessing that I have an possible oil leak fouling out that plug. Could this be the reason for the over all chugging and hesitation of the engine. The code scanner simply gives a generic misfire code for cylinder 1.

I appreciate any constructive help.
    Thank you
  • For the third time in two years I had the remove the squirrel cage ventilation fan to extract a dead, and very mangeled, mouse. It is not an easy or pleasant chore. I live in a remote area so this is liable to happen.

I would like to put a screen over the air intake of the ventilation system, but I am unable to find out where the air intake is. I have two maintenance books for this vehicle but neither of them even mention it.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where this air intake might be located?

BTW, I removed the cover of the engine air intake today to find about a coffee can full of acorns in the bottom of the housing. I have since put a screen over the engine air intake.
  • Surely someone must know where the air intake for the ventilation system is located before I kill any more mice? Please.
  • I have a 2003 dodge neon SXT 2.0 , when i start the car it misfires sometimes, and sometimes it doesnt. I start the car and go and press the gas pedal and the car shakes, and the car doesn't move, and shakes and the cars turns off. I wait about a minute and start the car again and the car runs good. I went to Autozone, and they said the problem is in the gas tank, the purge solenoid or the vapor canister has gone bad. WHAT DO YOU THINK, AND WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND? OH ALSO I FORGOT TO SAY I also got INCORRECT FLOW PURGE. IS THIS CONNECTED TO PURGE SOLENOID, OR THE VAPOR CANISTER OR NOT?
  • moparfan87moparfan87 Posts: 1
    Yes, a water pump going out can cause the timing belt to go out. When the timing belt and water pump goes out it's a 99% chance that it harmed the engine in some way, usually by damaging the valves. I have seen this happen many times with the Neons. I have personally worked on ones that have done this.
  • jesslanjesslan Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Dodge Neon and in the past few months everytime I start my car after it rains a big gush of water comes down from the passanger side dashboard. It sounds like a shower is starting.. or like a steamer. Its only getting worse. The amount of water that is coming out keeps increasing. It started out with just small drips now its like a river in my front seat. It only does it when you start up the car it doesn't just leak in when its raining. My mom actually has the same car as mine and hers has started doing it as well. Any ideas?
  • borjawilborjawil Posts: 3
    I have a 97 neon. Basic 2 door car. A few issues with it. One question i have is there are 2 wires one green one black that are not connected to anything and come through the firewall and are by the brake pedal. The black connected to the neg on the battery as when i pull the end on the neg it shortens the black wire by the brake. The same with the green although it is coming from a bundle of wires near the fire wall on the driver side. Any one know where these connect?

2nd issue. Car drove fine yesterday and today i turn the key and nothing. Battery is charged all lights works and radio too. No noise from the starter, no clicking or anything. I hit it a coupe times to make sure it wasnt stuck. No luck. It is the cylinder located on the drivers side/middle towards the front of the car right? If so how do i test it with a 12v?
  • borjawilborjawil Posts: 3
    fixed the starter problem. corroded wire.