Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• yerth10yerth10 Posts: 428
    Fusion/Milan and Escape/Mariner Hybrids sold 3906 units in May-2009.

Probably Fusion/Milan Hybrid combination has overtaken Camry Hybrid sales.

After all, these 2 vehicles give nearly 40 MPG while Camry gives around 37 MPG.

Finally, Americans have learnt to make Excellent Hybrids.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    yerth10 says ,"Probably Fusion/Milan Hybrid combination has overtaken Camry Hybrid sales."

Possibly that is true, but the Camry hybrid probably sold around 3,000, and remember: it's a 3-yr-old model, while the Fusion/Milan are brand spanking new.

And I'm sure there are good number of people who might have been shopping both the Camry hybrid and the Fusion/Milan hybrids, but who decided to "hold off" and take a look at the 2010 Prius which is upcoming. The anticipation for the new Prius is hurting all other hybrid sales right now.

Brand new cars with "good buzz" usually have a sales spike.

Not to say they are not excellent cars, but before declaring them "excellent," why don't we give it a couple of years and let them get some good road miles under them, eh?

More competition from Ford helps Toyota work harder, so it's all good.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    I wonder if they will increase production of Hybrids? Interesting comment that I have to agree with:

“Consideration for our new products is increasing,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, Sales
    and Marketing. “Even as the competitive environment intensifies, Ford’s relentless pursuit of
    quality, fuel efficiency, smart technology and appealing designs is winning new customers.”

I agree, folks are starting to take note of this. If Ford is going to strike this is the time.

I must admit that I am confused why the over 50% drop in the Focus. Even the Taurus is 50% off. I actually like how the new Taurus looks.

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/May09sales.pdf

It is funny how the marketing guys can swing the figures. They are at a 36% vehicle drop from last year. However I use to work in Army recruiting and I know how to make the lines on the chart go up. :)

I was reading about GM and how it started going down one it started sharing platforms and the cars uniqueness disappeared. Perhaps that can explain why the Mercury Grand Marquis is still selling. Brand loyalty you think due to uniqueness?

I know I posted a lot in this mail.

Three months, 3k mileage on my Milan HB, 36 mpg overall with spurts up to 45 mpg. No issues, and not one Milan HB has showed up at one of the largest Mercury dealers in Maryland. Where are they?
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    I must admit that I am confused why the over 50% drop in the Focus. Even the Taurus is 50% off. I actually like how the new Taurus looks.

50% drop in Focus because gas is $2.50 not 4.50. Americans have short memories. Good thing we have CAFE to mandate what car you want, right? Losers.

The 50% off Taurus is still the old Taurus, the new one isn't on the street yet as far as I know. It looked pretty sharp that the Chicago auto show, kind of Acura TL-ish in the front, while the Fusion strikes me as TL-ish in the back. I guess there are only so many ways you can draw lines on the front and back of a car.

They are at a 36% vehicle drop from last year. However I use to work in Army recruiting and I know how to make the lines on the chart go up.

Yeah they went from talking about vehicles sold to market share...I guess a bigger piece of a smaller pie balances things out a little? :confuse:
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,671
    A bigger piece of the pie is always better regardless of the size of the pie. At some point overall sales will go back up and when they do Ford will see a significant jump in sales volume if they maintain their increased market share.

The fact that Ford saw a month over month improvement and had a "less bad" month than Honda or Toyota is significant. The fact that they did it while reducing incentives is even better. And they have yet to sell the MKT, Transit Connect, new Taurus and Ecoboost versions of the Flex and MKS, all due later this year.

Throw in the Fiesta which will be a new market segment for Ford plus a redesigned Explorer, Euro Focus, etc. and Ford should be sitting pretty at the end of 2010.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Not so sure about holding off on the 2010 Prius. I had an 07 Prius, and compared to the Fusion, it looked and felt cheap, Toyota had better start putting some better quality into their cars if they want to keep up with Ford. The plastics they use in the Prius is mainly recycled, and it looks it, very susceptible to scratching, especially the dash. Unless Toyota has improved on material quality, the 2010 may not be much better than the 07 was, it sure isn't any larger inside of any note.

The only real advantage the Prius has over the Ford, MPG, that's about it, it sure isn't quality anymore.
  • jeff_hjeff_h Posts: 20
    acdii: The only real advantage the Prius has over the Ford, MPG, that's about it, it sure isn't quality anymore.

I am about to part ways with my 2005 Prius (with 127,000 miles, so I've gotten my use) and have ordered a Fusion hybrid -- like you said, the MPG is better in the Prius but after driving the Fusion there is no comparison when it comes to ride quality.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    I am considering a 2010 Prius. I think many improvements have been made in the 3rd generation.

I hate to buy before I see/drive a Fusion hybrid. Saturday I went to the local Ford dealer. My wife and I walked all around the showroom, walked around the lot, looked at numerous cars, and not one salesman approached us.

Next i called another Ford dealer 25 miles away. No 2010 Hybrids, and none expected for "several months."

I then called another dealer, 50 miles away. He said they have none and do not know when the factory will begin 2010 assembly.

I once rented a Fusion, and was impressed with the vehicle. But the dealers are going to need to show a bit more interest. Plus there is still a tax credit for the Fusion. Get with it Ford!
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Prius. My 2005 model went 127,000 miles with only a couple problems, both of which were covered under my extended warranty. I was making the observation that to my wife and me, the ride in the Fusion was far comfier and we both rode front and back seats during the test drives. I have a carpooler that rides in the back seat everyday, so while for some that rarely ever have a backseat passenger, I have one regularly so it's important to me.

As for being ignored at the Ford dealership, what city and state was that in? I like to play the "Mississippi" game where I count "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, etc" in my head to see how long they take to get to me. The first visit to the dealer made it to 12-Mississippi, I was almost over to the Fusions. We took a test drive in a regular Fusion (no hybrids on the lot, 2 were due-in) and that's all we wanted for that night, our only aim was to take a drive. The next time was just me going to back to place the order, and I got to 2-Mississippi and there was a guy there "hey there, can I help ya?" and I said no thanks I'm looking for (salesman's name). I should have started counting again because I wouldn't have made it past 6-Mississippi and there was another just as I had gotten halfway to the showroom... I made it past him, and like an NFL zone defense as soon as one broke off, there was another to pick up my moves. I finally made it past #3 to get into the door of the showroom and find my salesman, where we wrote up the papers to order the car. Sorry to hear your experience was like walking through a ghost town.

As for calling the dealer 25 miles away, they might have had none in stock at the time, but didn't they offer to special order one for you? I understand that you probably would not want to take them up on it without at least a test drive, but it's surprising that they didn't offer to order one for you as I think that's easy money for them with just watching the car come off the truck and doing PDI and then out the door it goes.

The other dealer (50 miles away) that said that they did not know when the factory would begin their 2010 assembly would have to be really out of touch. You should be able to (just like dealer should be able to) run a "build your own" online and then do an inventory search in their area. In fact, the dealer should have the capability to use their internal system and put in the car criteria and run a search within 500 miles. My Dad is retired and spends his time ferrying cars from one dealership to another (for a Toyota dealer), they do searches within their region all the time and my Ford salesman did a search for me to find my exact match and we decided we needed to order one. To hear that the dealer didn't know about any of this or not even know if the model was being built yet (I saw a window sticker with a build date of April, so there were probably some before that), wow that is surprising.

Well, whatever you decide on, be it Prius or Fusion or otherwise, good luck with it!
  • Yeah,
    Several of us have commented on Ford's Fusion Hybrid advertisements, but no cars to buy.

The 2010s are out, each one of us who has a MMH or FFH has a 2010 car. My dealer has 2010 regular Fusions.

I've never driven a regular Fusion, but I suspect it would drive the same as the FFH.

If you can find a car to test drive, maybe a regular Fusion, you might want to special order a FFH so you get only the options you want. Many, but not all of the dealers are pre-ordering the FFHs with all the options because the demand is still high enough that FFH buyers will pay for options they don't need or want just to get the cars. Which means more profit for them.

Yesterday I read a review of the specs on the 2010 Prius and the FFH. There was very little difference between the two cars on interior dimensions. Now, I've never been in a 2010 Prius, but I drove a 2009 Prius for a week, and there is a big difference in the "feel" of the interior space, with the FFH "feeling" like an Accord. I know "feelings" aren't facts, but the Prius only felt a little bigger than my Saturn Ion. I suspect the Prius does have more trunk room than the FFH due to it being a hatchback.
    I am still waiting on my 2010 FFH, but did test drive both the regular model (when they did not have a hybrid on the lot) and also a hybrid. They are both on the same chassis and suspension and drove very similarly (transmissions are different but that's not really noticeable), I thought the FFH may have drove a bit better but I was probably biased since I was finally getting to drive the hybrid version.

The Prius is versatile and you can flip down the seats that cram all sorts of stuff in it, so if that's one's interest it's probably the better move. For me it was the ride as well as the $1,700 tax credit which is not longer available with the Prius and softens the blow of the price differential.
  • feltfelt Posts: 105
    Thank you for the above comments.

We live in Utah, and there are other dealers not much further away. I plan to make a decision soon, and for that reason I would really like to drive a Fusion first. I like the tax credit, but thus far, the indication is the Ford dealers will add more than that to the MSRP. The Toyota dealer did not, plus they offered $2000 more for my trade-in than I expected.

Again, thanks .... I will not jump into either without a great deal more research. Actually, that is the phase I most enjoy.

I feel some urgency to proceed soon. I am absolutely convinced that gas will continue to get more expensive. Hybrids will become hard to find again, and the dealers will take advantage of the shortage. Plus, I feel congress will raise taxes .... that is the only way they will ever get the public into small electric vehicles. Yeah, I know, pretty pessimistic .... but that is what I foresee.
  • hoyafanhoyafan Posts: 48
    I would recommend anyone considering a FFH check out the Edmunds consumer reviews at: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusionhybrid/2010/consumerreview.html

Rarely (if ever) have I seen such positive reviews for a vehicle. Out of 24 reviews to date, there is only one negative review. People are extremely happy with their FFH.

I would also encourage any FFH owners who have not added a review to do so...
    I second the reviews, when I was looking to purchase a CUV, I read the reviews for the models I was interested in, and based on the consumer reviews, made my decision. It was for a 2008 Hyundai Veracruz, which also was highly recommended, and It turned out to be a really great CUV.
    Ford decided to give build preference to confirmed retail orders (orders placed by consumers and verified by Ford) over stock orders. These retail orders also do not count against the dealer's allocation. This means you can order a FFH and be assured it will be built as soon as possible regardless of the dealer that ordered it.

Go drive a regular Fusion and if you like it and you want the hybrid then order the FFH. Because this doesn't count against their allocation (that runs out this month I believe so don't procrastinate) they should be willing to order one for you at no more than MSRP, sometimes a lot less. This is different from buying one off the lot.
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    We bought a white 2010 FFH from dealer stock in Dallas, Tx about 3 weeks ago. When I was looking there were at least 10 Fusioin/Milan Hybrids in the metroplex area. If you go to the Ford website and put in any of the DFW zip codes (75204, 76210) you can see for yourself. They are selling well, but not flying off the lots. Those of you really interested might want to make the trip. We only have about 800 miles on ours, but it is a great vehicles so far.
  • fressersfressers Posts: 3
    What grade of gasoline needed in 2010 Fusion Hybrid.
  • It is in the manual.
    Almost positive it's 87 just like regular fusions.
    That's why I first drove the regular Fusion, I knew the ride would be very similar. But it was nice to drive the FFH too.

For the person that has several FFH models on the lot in Dallas, there are probably 50-100 scattered throughout the DC metro area (just my ballpark figure based on scouring dealer inventories), so there are some out there but just not plentiful. And I also agree with that they are not flying off the lot the same day, my local dealer got two a couple weeks ago and they are still there.

Over the years I kinda made a habit of taking road trips to find just the right car if I could not order it (not the case right now, plenty of time left in the build season but not for the tax credit since that reduces again after Sept) -- when I lived in Colorado I flew to Maryland to get one, when I lived in NC I flew up to NH to get one, I have fun with it since I like road trips and a road trip with a new car (the exact one that I wanted) is even better! So for those who have never tried that, if you can get away for a couple days you might like it and go sightseeing on your road trip back too. :)
    Keep in mind that regular dealer allocations are skewed towards specific areas based on anticipated hybrid demands and other factors. So while one area like DC may have a lot in stock other areas (like South Dakota) may not have any.
    I think that's true about the allocations, as a co-worker of mine's Dad has a Ford dealership in the western part of the state near WV. He had been told by Ford that "sorry, no allocations for you because you are too small of a dealer". And that also stands to reason why the dealer in the west side of Richmond VA (the more well-to-do side) had 16 on the lot at one time, I guess they are a high-volume dealer in an area that would have more buyers at a given time.
    In the past those allocations would have affected pre-sold customer orders as well. It's great that Ford allows customer orders to be built for any dealer without regard to that dealer's stock allocations.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I wonder if it also isn't about the technology involved and the small dealer may not even see more than a couple a year for repairs if he sees any and may not be able to fix them. It has always been my opinion the bigger the dealer the more chance he has of seeing the problem I'm having and is able to fix it right the first time.
  • I got my FFH May 20. I ordered it March 30 in order to get in on the full tax credit.

I live in Tulsa, OK and got the FFH through Joe Cooper Ford. Are there any other FFH owners in Tulsa on this list? I haven't seen another one on the streets of Tulsa yet.

As of June 15 I am finishing my 3rd tank of gas at about 1,700 miles. I got about 37 mpg on the first 2 tanks with mostly highway driving, and at 40 mpg on 3rd tank with a mix of about 60% city, 40% highway. Looks like it will live up to EPA mpg ratings.

I like the car. I had one of the first (MY2001) classic Prius and had a lifetime mpg of 45 before an uninsured yahoo in a dually pick up ran over me and totaled it about 2 years ago. The FFH powertrain concept is essentially the same as the Toyota approach, but the FFH has a slightly more aggressive electrical use algorithm and a more informative and useful instrument display, both of which I like. I also drive a pure EV (Solectria Force) so I am a big fan of the electric dive component. The more the better as far as I am concerned. I gave up waiting on the Volt or a production Prius plug-in, and decided that Ford has the best HEV product on the market at present.

Are there any other FFH related discussion groups that any owners have found?
  • hoyafanhoyafan Posts: 48
    To answer the question about other groups, I've only found two sites.

First, the Ford Fusion Forum, which has a dedicated FFH section:
    http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?showforum=57

Secondly, a pretty good blog: http://ffh.squarespace.com/
  • norman_1norman_1 Posts: 1
    Ford's sales of Escape/Mariner hybrid in May 09 was: 1,702/125.
    Fusion hybrid sales in May: 1,877.

Camry hybrid sales in May: 2,941.
  • I turned over 4400 miles today. MPG for the long term (last 4300 miles) is 39.0 and 39.2 mpg for the last 2000 miles.The long term mpg has slowly increased from the start. The last 2k mpg fluctuates between 38.9 and 39.2, according who's driving the FFH. The 95F+ heat has decreased mpg a little.
    Wait until it hits over 10K, and you should see it increase. That was the magic mark on the Prius and Camry Hybrids. I saw about a 2MPG increase after 10K miles, and now that the Camry is nearing 28K, I am getting consistently above 38MPG. The current tank is hovering around 40MPG. If I can get this in a Camry, imagine what I might get in a Fusion! :shades: