Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• jeff_hjeff_h Posts: 20
    That's why I first drove the regular Fusion, I knew the ride would be very similar. But it was nice to drive the FFH too.

For the person that has several FFH models on the lot in Dallas, there are probably 50-100 scattered throughout the DC metro area (just my ballpark figure based on scouring dealer inventories), so there are some out there but just not plentiful. And I also agree with that they are not flying off the lot the same day, my local dealer got two a couple weeks ago and they are still there.

Over the years I kinda made a habit of taking road trips to find just the right car if I could not order it (not the case right now, plenty of time left in the build season but not for the tax credit since that reduces again after Sept) -- when I lived in Colorado I flew to Maryland to get one, when I lived in NC I flew up to NH to get one, I have fun with it since I like road trips and a road trip with a new car (the exact one that I wanted) is even better! So for those who have never tried that, if you can get away for a couple days you might like it and go sightseeing on your road trip back too. :)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Keep in mind that regular dealer allocations are skewed towards specific areas based on anticipated hybrid demands and other factors. So while one area like DC may have a lot in stock other areas (like South Dakota) may not have any.
  • jeff_hjeff_h Posts: 20
    I think that's true about the allocations, as a co-worker of mine's Dad has a Ford dealership in the western part of the state near WV. He had been told by Ford that "sorry, no allocations for you because you are too small of a dealer". And that also stands to reason why the dealer in the west side of Richmond VA (the more well-to-do side) had 16 on the lot at one time, I guess they are a high-volume dealer in an area that would have more buyers at a given time.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    In the past those allocations would have affected pre-sold customer orders as well. It's great that Ford allows customer orders to be built for any dealer without regard to that dealer's stock allocations.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I wonder if it also isn't about the technology involved and the small dealer may not even see more than a couple a year for repairs if he sees any and may not be able to fix them. It has always been my opinion the bigger the dealer the more chance he has of seeing the problem I'm having and is able to fix it right the first time.
  • I got my FFH May 20. I ordered it March 30 in order to get in on the full tax credit.

I live in Tulsa, OK and got the FFH through Joe Cooper Ford. Are there any other FFH owners in Tulsa on this list? I haven't seen another one on the streets of Tulsa yet.

As of June 15 I am finishing my 3rd tank of gas at about 1,700 miles. I got about 37 mpg on the first 2 tanks with mostly highway driving, and at 40 mpg on 3rd tank with a mix of about 60% city, 40% highway. Looks like it will live up to EPA mpg ratings.

I like the car. I had one of the first (MY2001) classic Prius and had a lifetime mpg of 45 before an uninsured yahoo in a dually pick up ran over me and totaled it about 2 years ago. The FFH powertrain concept is essentially the same as the Toyota approach, but the FFH has a slightly more aggressive electrical use algorithm and a more informative and useful instrument display, both of which I like. I also drive a pure EV (Solectria Force) so I am a big fan of the electric dive component. The more the better as far as I am concerned. I gave up waiting on the Volt or a production Prius plug-in, and decided that Ford has the best HEV product on the market at present.

Are there any other FFH related discussion groups that any owners have found?
  • hoyafanhoyafan Posts: 48
    To answer the question about other groups, I've only found two sites.

First, the Ford Fusion Forum, which has a dedicated FFH section:
    http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?showforum=57

Secondly, a pretty good blog: http://ffh.squarespace.com/
  • norman_1norman_1 Posts: 1
    Ford's sales of Escape/Mariner hybrid in May 09 was: 1,702/125.
    Fusion hybrid sales in May: 1,877.

Camry hybrid sales in May: 2,941.
  • I turned over 4400 miles today. MPG for the long term (last 4300 miles) is 39.0 and 39.2 mpg for the last 2000 miles.The long term mpg has slowly increased from the start. The last 2k mpg fluctuates between 38.9 and 39.2, according who's driving the FFH. The 95F+ heat has decreased mpg a little.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    Wait until it hits over 10K, and you should see it increase. That was the magic mark on the Prius and Camry Hybrids. I saw about a 2MPG increase after 10K miles, and now that the Camry is nearing 28K, I am getting consistently above 38MPG. The current tank is hovering around 40MPG. If I can get this in a Camry, imagine what I might get in a Fusion! :shades:
  • My lease is up on my '06 Fusion and will be getting a new one. Just don't know if I should get a hybrid or not. Not sure I will truly save money. Your thoughts?
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    What kind of mileage do you get now, what type of driving and what do you want in the car. The Hybrid should be getting at least 40 MPG compared to the other models. In addition the packages offered for the Hybrid are pretty nice, and when compared option to option, the price is so close to the V6 Fusion, that it just makes good sense to get the hybrid. OTOH, if you have the base model and all you can afford is the base model, then by all means get the base model.

For a comparison, I have an 09 Camry Hybrid. The power output of the hybrid with fully charged batteries is on par with the V6. For the most part the batteries are close to fully charged due to my daily trip of mostly 55 MPH. My MPG for the past few months has been 38+ MPG now that the weather has warmed up. For any other model Camry, the best I would see would be between 28-30 MPG for the type of driving.
    Check out the reviews on Edmunds to see what customers who have a FFH think:

http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fusionhybrid/2010/consumerreview.html
  • I do mostly city driving.  Currently, I'm getting 27.6 mpg.  I read the reviews about what others are getting in the hybrid, but my concern is. . . when will I see that I've saved money by purchasing the hybrid?  Besides gas mileage, where else will I save?  I understand that oil change needs to be done at the same rate (or maybe I misunderstood it!), insurance should be a little cheaper.  I recently read an article that listed how long it took hybrid owners to break even with their hybrid.  They compared many hybrids, but one includes a 2009 Camry vs. 2009 Prius.  It will take 4.2 years to break even and that was the least number of years in all of the results.  Another question I have is when will the battery go bad?  Thanks for responding to my concern-this is the first time I've used a forum!
    I would submit to you that the decision to buy a hybrid is usually based on other factors aside from economic payback. Most hybrid owners I've talked to wanted to: "do the right thing and/or help achieve energy independence". I think the most common sentiment is that they want to do their part...In other words, it wasn't only about the money. If you calculate only based on break-even, I don't think it will work out favorably, particularly if you compare to a 4 cylinder (cheaper) Fusion.

With regard to the battery - I believe the warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles (except in California where it is even higher). I've also read that there are many Escape Hybrids in NYC and SF which have 300,000 miles on them and there has not been a single battery failure.

Good luck with your decision.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    Buy the cheaper ICE 4 cylinder. Buying a hybrid is really not about financial payout. It is getting new technology, using less fossil fuel, and getting some of the latest features (not to mention the best Fusion resale value). How does one figure in satisfaction with having bought a hybrid? I won't go on, but anyone who wishes to "break even" at some point by buying a hybrid is probably not a hybrid person.
  • If money is the only reason -- probably not. Others have stated well the reasons.

Particularly if you want to lease, there is little financial reason to hybridize. Certainly not with a FFH. Maybe a Honda Insight -- much cheaper.

Monetarily speaking, the $64 question is what the price of diesel fuel will be vis-a-vis gasoline. These new diesel engine cars get wonderful mileage, and with the new now sulphur fuel dont stink.

The other questions you need to answer to get a better fiscal answer:

highway vs city vs surburban driving. Hybrids shine city driving.

length and depth of cold weather -- hybrids must run the engine to warm you and the batteries -- less saving in cold weather.

I gotta tell you --- the FFH is a wonderful automobile with, for me, the right size.

Let us know your decision.

Rog in Vermont
  • More specifically, the warranty is 10 years/150K miles if you are in a california emissions state.

And it is a full warranty; it is NOT prorated based on the life of the battery.

As a purchaser of a new, expensive, high-tech automobile, I have the fear that something post-warranty will die and Ford will demand my children's birthright to fix it. The high-voltage battery is the least of the worries, because of the high-mileage warranty.

The five california emission states are California, New York, Maine, Massachusetts, and Vermont.

Rog in Vermont
  • cmunizcmuniz Posts: 604
    My economic analysis indicated that it would take me 42 months to break even on buying at FFH vs a loaded I4 based on gas savings alone. I went ahead and bought one because I really like the technology. It is a very fun car to drive and it continuously amazes how often the engine turns on and off and how the power vs economy vs battery charging is managed by the computer. The enjoyment factor alone makes it worthwhile for me, plus the car can teach you how to drive it economically if you pay attention to the gauges. So I agree that it is not an economic decision, but one based on other factors as discussed above. Of course you never know what will happen to the price of gas, but it is still fun to go over 550 miles per tank. I'm averaging 34.2 mpg so far in the month since we got it.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,444
    if you are leasing, you don't drive a lot of miles?
    FFH would be tough to justify in a normal leasing situation.