Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan Hybrid

Comments

• acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    It's a Faux Chrome finish done much in the same way they paint anything these days as powder coat. The finish goes on dry as a powder then they bake the finish in an oven. The process is nice, but it will never achieve a pure chrome look, it will be slightly dull with a gray overtone. The thing to keep in mind is, it's a paint, paint chips, chrome doesn't, so you can expect this finish to chip at some point, and if they didn't prep the wheels properly, they can peel.
    Do Want. That car looks nice in Ice Blue!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    and of course real chrome can rust too so it is a hit or miss with anything.
    And polished aluminum can corrode and get really dull really quick if not taken care of.
  • After dilligently looking for a Milan HB, and finding dis-interest on the part of the Balt-Washington corridor Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealers in terms of supply and selling - we ended up buying a new 2010 Prius with more eguipment, better reliability, much better MPG, and lower price than the scarce Milan HB ($30 k plus).

But, before that happened, we in desperation had looked for a 2009 Sable (since we had had Sables since 1988) . Nope, they didn't have any, and were not particularly interested in searching for one at other dealerships. O.K., how about a used Sable/Montego? Oh, well, they had one 2007 Montego, which they said was in "like-new" condition with only 7 k miles. Except it turned-out that the same car just had a front axle replaced, according to its Carfax history(occuring after they had first attempted to sell it to us as in "like-new" condition).. The salesman, claimed that he knew nothing about that, and then downplayed the significance of the axle replacement. Riiight. On a 7,000 mile car - needs a new axle? Doesn't mean a thing....Riiight. Hmmm, so if I had bought that car and was going down the expressway at 60 mph - and the faulty front axle failed.....not a problem???!!!

So, after 22 years of solely owning Mercurys, the attitude and behavior of the local Mercury dealerships finally blew us out of their market.
    Don't be so fast on the better reliability. The 2010 Prius is just as new, if not newer than the Ford Hybrid. The Prius has a new engine, new drive train, new computer, etc. It may look close to the Generation 2 Prius, but it is in reality a new 1st year car. This puts it absolutely equal to the Ford Hybrid.

Hopefully they improved the handling and traction control on the Prius, the 2007 I had was lousy when on the highway with crosswinds, and loss of traction put everyone in a dangerous situation since it cut power 100% to the drive wheels, and if you are trying to get out into traffic, and there is sand or gravel on the road, any slippage and the TC cuts in. This has put us out into traffic with no power. Among a few other things, this was the major thing that caused us to get rid of the Prius. If your a city folk, the Prius is a great car, but live in the country, fergitaboutit.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Why didn't you just order a Milan Hybrid or whatever other Mercury vehicle you wanted? Only takes a few weeks. The Prius is not in the same league as the Fusion/Milan Hybrids. The only advantage is fuel economy but you pay a significant price for that in everyday driveability.
  • As I said, I originally wanted a Mercury Milan HB. Unfortunately, the dealerships that I encountered did not want to cooperate.

As for 2010 Prius reliability, you are quite correct that the car was (almost) totally redesigned. However, after searching for as many reviews as I could find that included test drives, I could not find any substantial criticism of its design and performance. To the contrary, they were generally quite favorable.

An exception to the overwhelmingly favorable acclaim might be CarandDriver.com which somewhat grudgingly admitted that the Prius was technologically superior to most other comparable HBs, but described driving it as "boringly normal" (paraphrase). This is probably true - by their standards - which view the ideal cars as Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Corvettes, etc. Unfortunately, I (and most other car buyers) are not playing in that league!

Regarding your reports of handling problems with the 2007 Prius, I did not find similar concerns in the reviews that I found (which were mostly about the 2008, 2009 and 2010 models) However, such handling problems may also apply to other hybrids of that size. If the problems that you described are caused by the HB drivetrain, then other brands that are using licensed versions of the Toyota HB design (which include Fusion/Milan and Nissan) may also have that problem.

In any case, as you pointed-out, the 2010 Prius is a redesign and is therefore a "new 1st year" car. Therefore, comparisons to the problems that you reported on your 2007 may not apply at all to this new design. Time will tell (for all hybrids).
    The problem isn't the hybrid drivetrain - it's the suspension/tires/aero package on the Prius.
  • "A few weeks?" I assure you that is not really the case. Sometimes it takes an authorized dealer "a few weeks" just to confirm you have a legitimate retail order!

According to various forums, Ford Fusions seem to be taking about 8--10 weeks to deliver _once the order is confirmed_, and my Milan hybrid may be delivered as early as 16 weeks. (Others who have ordered Milan hybrids seem to be getting theirs in 10--12 weeks after retail order confirmation.)
    For the handling in cross winds it is, the traction control though was way too sensitive. The Camry Hybrid though, I rarely ever have it shut down on gravel, even though the tires slip. The Prius was so sensitive that a 1/4 slip of either tire would shut it down.

I don't dislike the car, when I took a trip to San Jose CA last year, I rented a Prius, frankly because I couldn't get a Camry Hybrid. It was a 2008 model, and it drove a little slower, and got a little less MPG than the one I had, but drove pretty much the same. I didn't hit any gravel or sand, so I don't know if the TC was any better in it.
  • hayley2hayley2 Posts: 44
    We have had our MMH since 4/29 and have about 4000 miles on it and long term mileage is 40.5.

Now to the question, does anyone know when your headlights are on, is there an indicator on the dash anywhere? When I turn my headlights on, unless it is dark, I cannot tell that they are actually on. I normally have them set on "Auto" and difficult to know when they come on when it is not actually dark. I have turned the Headlights on in complete darkness, and do not see an indicator of any kind on the dash. Any help will be appreciated. :confuse:
  • About the only way I can tell is to click the bright lights on and the blue bright lights indicator will illuminate on the dash.

40.5 overall mpg!! What's your terrain and how often do you run full A/C, even for a short time.

I'm still keeping all my gas receipts and the mpg reported by the car is 1-2 mpg more than the total miles (about 6500) divided by gal. of gas bought. I understand that we should get better mileage after 10k. I wouldn't be concerned if the car's reported mpg was less than gasoline bought, but when it has consistently been the other way, I started to question the validity (honesty) of the equipment, and the company. Measurement error should be less than 1 mpg.

I'm still very pleased with my FFH, but .... :D
  • hayley2hayley2 Posts: 44
    Thanks for the "Heads Up" on the Headlight issue. That works for me.

Overall terrain here in Central IL is mostly flat & we have been driving with the A/C on most of the time with few exceptions, not full blast but where we are comfortable.

I updated my Excel Spread Sheet today including all the gas used thru 7/28 which is the last fill-up at a total of 3598 miles and used total of 95 1/2 Gallons.

My average calculated by actual gas used is as follows;
    Avg. MPG Cost per Mile
    37.67 $0.0659

So comparing with vehicle calculations and actual gas used, about 8% off.

Not perfect by any means, but I'm happy with my MMH. Even if gas goes up to $5.00 plus per gal, my cost per mile will be in range of 0.132 per mile. Not bad.
    :)
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    I agree that you cannot tell if the headlights are on especially during the day or when it is raining. Thanks for the trick with the bright lights however they really need to put a nice LED on the light switch so you can tell when they are actually on. Other than that around 6k on my MHB no issues so far. Around 38 long term mileage and when I really watch the EV and traffic is light (so I can coast some) I can get 41 on several trips about 25 miles or so.
    Don't they have a automatic headlight on? Last few cars I bought turned them on and out automatically. I would think with the price of this car this would be included. Then you don't need to worry.
    That's just it - when they're on automatic you can't tell if they've automatically turned on or not. Sometimes they don't come on as early as you would like. Although they do come on automatically if the wipers are turned on so that helps.
  • bigtbigt Posts: 412
    Yep they have auto on but if it is light rain during the day it is very hard to tell if your lights are on or not. My son drove my HB yesterday and really got into keeping the EV light on. So we got 45 mpg on the drive home yesterday!

Used the fuel price' and thought we had 2.42 a gallon here in DC that was 12 cents cheaper then anything. Upon arrive it was 2.49 a gallon. As the attendant how prices are transmitted via the SIRIS travel link. They said they are transmitted on Friday and that they raised prices over the weekend and that is why it was off.
    If there is a light rain than the wipers will be on and according to other poster the lights come on. This is a law in Canada and looks like it finally made it to the U.S. as I have 2 cars that do it too.