Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1958-1966 Thunderbirds ?

13»

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 5,577
    "Or can I safely do another 2k cosmetic to please the Lady. "

I'd think that's a given, regardless of market value! Seriously, while some of the other money may not be recovered on sale, $2000 to make it look great probably would.

Are you saying you're into it 15k total, all costs?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,877
    If you can bring it up to "local show" quality (that is, winning 3rd place at the local Show and Shine), you might break even at $18000 investment.

But if that addition $2K is still going to leave some conspicuous cosmetic issues, then no, you'll be bottoms up on the car.

• The 2k is an overestimate. I need to put on the Vinyl roof (Already have the Landau Bars and Emblems) 1 door needs some inner panel work, and I need to put on some rubber seals on the Vent windows and Trunk. Plus it needs an alignment. Have new electronic ignition, new Air conditioner that uses the new type coolant, Wipers are now hydraulic rather than vacuum. Car weighs over 700lbs less than with the 390, and blew the doors off a Dodge Charger RT last week. A dog it is NOT. The car had spent entire life in Arizona, and was stored from 83-2012. 89k actual miles.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,697
    It's hard to say what the value of a resto modded car will be once you're done. Some people will like the changes you've made and others will wonder why you modified a nice car.

1964 T- Birds didn't have sequential turn signals in the rear. The 65's were the 1st year for those. The '64's had a bird emblem on the red lenses.

Since you are into mods, be aware that 1964 was the last year they used drums on front and I can't think of a car that would go through brake shoes and drums worse than a T-Bird or a full sized Ford of that vintage.

With this in mind a swap to front discs would be a worthwhile modification.

T-Birds of that vintage loved to eat front end parts such as bushings and upper control arm shafts. Compressing those HUGE front coils to access those shafts is not a job for someone careless or inexperienced and you would NOT want to use a Harbor Freight spring compressor!

Sounds like it'll be a cool car when you're done but don't look to make any money when you finally sell it!
13»