Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Blazer can't remove key

ericpetersonericpeterson Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
A few weeks ago, I was running around town and went to shut off the ignition. The key wouldn't come out of the ignition. I moved in and out of gears just to see if it wouldn't getting into park correctly and this didn't fix the problem. I actually ended up driving the car home. I left the car sit for a few hours and went to try it again. The key removed immediately. A few days later, the same problem happened and I have been unable to get the key out. Everyone I talked to said it was the ignition cylinder, so I replaced this with a part I purchased from my local dealer. After removing the old part, the key removed from the ignition. I installed the new part and the same problem occurred. I am at a loss on what the problem could me. I am by no means an expert at repairing cars, so I was hoping I could find some help here. Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check out these discussions:

Chevrolet Blazer Key Stuck

Key cannot be removed

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • fullsizeblazerfullsizeblazer Member Posts: 1
    can you turn your truck off when the key is stuck ? if so it is an electrical problem :confuse:
  • ericpetersonericpeterson Member Posts: 2
    It looks like I found the problem. I have a lock part by the ignition and it is part# 26056147. When I disconnect it, it works fine, but when it is connected I can't pull the key out. I don't know if this part is necessary or not. Does anyone know? Everything seems to work fine so far.
This discussion has been closed.