Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota problem

Comments

• I agree. I recently had problems with extreme overheating of front brake and now bearing is growling. Can it be pressed out of hub and replaced or do I have to shell out for the hub assembly? 99 4x4 V6 XCab 100K miles
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,931
    I honestly don't know. I know that the bearing and hub are serviced as an assembly by Chrysler, AutoZone and Advance Auto. I suspect that someone makes a replacement bearing for it, but you'll need a press.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • I now know it's a sealed unit. Advanced Auto will, howevever, sell you a gear puller (for the hub) and you simply return it for credit when your done (Nice). The most difficult part of the replacement is cracking the 1.5" retaining nut. Thanks again for you response.
  • By the way, you can opt for the "Economy" Hub $75.00 or premium for around $150.00. (Sanel Auto Parts). Most places I contacted marked up the "Economy" to around $125.00. Premium up to $190.00. Good going Sanel!
  • I am having the same problem. Using SKF brg/hub assemblies, I have replaced both sides twice in the last year. Had a 4 wheel alignment done...tech said nothing unordinary. No brake drag. I would think that SKF would be OE supplier or at least a top line replacement...am I missing something?
    2003 QC 4X4 3.9L
    Thanks
    Brian
  • I have a 2002 dodge dakota quad cab. My question is how do i take my tail light lenses off and clean them. For some reason when i bought it there was dirt caked inside the lenses and the tail lights are hard to see. :(
    Lower the tailgate and look for two Torx-head screws on the side of the tailgate janb on the box. Remove these screws. Standing at the rear of the vehicle, pull the tail lamp assembly outwards from the body.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ra3154ra3154 Posts: 2
    help pleaseee.dodge dakato 3.9L automatic truck . the battery keeps dying. not sure if its the pcm because one day the battery volts are normal..the next its back down to 10 and the car just runs off the batery..i have replaced the alternator and battery..the alternator connections seem to be good. the alternator guy told me my truck year and model are known for there voltage regulators going out. i guess im not sure if thats it because the cars battery power is working fine one day and not the next..this last time though might be it..not sure where to go from here..buy a pcm or ?? thanks
    I'm not aware of PCMs being a general problem on any year Dakota.

What year is the truck?

Regards,
    Dusty
  • ra3154ra3154 Posts: 2
    oh sorry..didnt notice..its a 1998 dakota..the alternator guy might of just been saying that but yeah he said 94-99s there voltage regulators go out alot..
  • kburks60kburks60 Posts: 3
    edited June 2010
    Dodge dakota 2002 v8, Was running fine, took my son to the hospital where the truck set for 3 hours....5 miles from the hospital the truck shut off while stopped at a red light, 105 degrees out, while attempting to restatrt the RPM maxxed out, the fuel injectors kicked on dumping gas yet the truck didn't start...after sitting for 6 hours truck started ran 60 miles home but when entered drive shut down and began acting up again, it sat overnight and started just fine in the morning. When the truck warms up, the fuel pump kicks in the injectors start dumping but the truck does not start. and Rpm max out without the truck started.Noone in panama City, Florida that I've talked to has had this problem. Where should I start?
  • kburks60kburks60 Posts: 3
    I replaced the crankshaft senor and the truck started, then the check engine light came on it shut off, I restarted the truck engine light still on let it idle for a while light went out, truck started several times with no problem and no codes, test drove the truck about 40 miles with no problem, left for work got less than 2 miles truck shut off while going 40mph, check engine light on but no codes show...I guess my next step is to check wiring?I don't really want to put 600.00 minto a computer if I don't need it, I'm a single parent and need my truck to get to work.
  • sfrensfren Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Dakota with 125,000 miles. After installing new tires I noticed a noise coming from the front of the vehicle only when bearing to the right when traveling down the road. As long as you are going straight or to the left no noise. When going toward the right as in a curve you hear a whine that sounds like it is coming from the tires. Had front end alignment but still the same whine or howl.I removed the Right front tire because it sounds as though it is coming from that area and the bearing hub seems to have a little play ( back and forth) in it. Is this normal or could this be the problem. If not does anyone have any idea what it might be. Thanks for any help in advance.
  • papadsgirlspapadsgirls Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    our 2002 dakota has a panic alarm constantly going off! We have disconnected the horn so we can drive it, but we can't get it to stop! It does this just when we crank the truck! Didn't know the truck had the panic alarm since we didn't get any remotes when we bought it! Any ideas to get this to shut off! I have already tried the key in the door, tried to disconnect the battery, pulled fuses, and nothing has stopped it!
  • Ok I have a 2002 Dodge Dakota heres the problem I am having it will crank but will not start but a very few times it will start but not start again but when it dont wanna start none of the gauges will work and the millage will flash and say NO BUS? Here are some of the things I have tried so far bought new battery terminals And rented a code reader from auto zone and no codes where shown Then I Turned the ignition off. Pressed and held the odometer/trip button while turning igntion to "on" without turning it to the "start" position. And Continued to held the button for 10 seconds...until I seen the odometer window display "CHEC". If there was a problem, a three digit code will appear. And these 3 different codes came up 920, 921 What else can I do HELP!!!!!!
  • I totally agree with you there... I had to replace both of my front wheel bearings only because other parts put strain on them. The driver's side went because of a bad brake rotor and caliper that more or less tore it apart, and the passenger went because of a bad lower ball joint that angled the tire adversely and caused a lot of heat, and my truck has over 180000 miles on it
  • I'm not a car expert, but I am a computer expert, and when the most basic operation that runs through the on board computer won't work, I'd have to say that might or might not be the problem. try going to a scrapyard, taking a computer out of a matching dakota, and seeing if that fixes anything. I had a 1990 Toyota Camry that got hit by lightning a few times and the thing acted like it had multiple personality disorder sometimes, running too rich or too lean, telling me I had multiple different lights and trouble codes and then just shutting off, and that is what my problem was.
  • Yesterday I did some maintenance on my 2005 Dakota including pulling the battery cables off and cleaning them up. When I put the battery cables back on and started the truck it started perfect. But I noticed the headlights were on even though the switch was off. Then I noticed the digital odometer was out, the oil pressure and temp gauges were out, the radio was out, no dash lights. The turn signals don't work, the hazards don't work and worst of all I can not put the truck in gear because the brake switch isn't working. There was absolutely no symptoms of trouble prior to the battery cables being cleaned and being put back on. I figured I would have to re tune the radio stations. This is a 2 WD 4 door quad cab Dakota with about 95K mileage. Any ideas? I checked all the fuses but they are all good.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,497
    "NO BUS" means a loss of communication with the computer. The other problems you mention are also symptoms of a failing computer.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• have u tried a regular code reader auto zone does it for nothing u might a mfg code