Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edmunds.com - Confessions of a Car Salesman

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
What really goes on in the back rooms of car dealerships across America?

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

Talk about the article here!

Confessions of a Car Salesman

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Seemed like a fair and balanced report of auto sales, at least from a consumers viewpoint

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

I think they are baking fruitcakes for Christmas... or shooting a little b-ball in the back lot.
  • joel0622joel0622 Posts: 3,302
    Why did ya bring this here. :cry: :) This was written like in the 80's wasn't it? Or maybe early 90's. Night and day between then and now as to how the day to day operations are handled.
    Why did ya bring this here. This was written like in the 80's wasn't it? Or maybe early 90's. Night and day between then and now as to how the day to day operations are handled.

I didn't bring it here, Karen did. But, to be honest I was thinking the same thing. That article is old/ancient/Jurrasic age news. :sick:

They (Edmunds) need to have a Confessions of a Car Salesman Part 2. Would certainly be interesting to see how things have changed. Karen, care to take on an additional assignment of undercover saleswoman? You can borrow my fake nose and mustache disguise kit.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,610
    That worn out old article keeps resurfacing ad nauseum.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    What aspects have changed and can you point out any principles that persist?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • duke23duke23 Posts: 488
    Isellhondas wrote :
    "That worn out old article keeps resurfacing ad nauseum. "

I'm thinking new topic, how has sub $1.50 rug and an absence of global warming changed your car salesmen confessions? Timely, topical, but I repeat myself and hit three themes no ? The good guy : bad guy marketing shall continue for advertising purposes.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    The only principle that persists is the tendency of some to keep perpetuating a sterotype for their own gain.
  • bar20bar20 Posts: 15
    Sorry but I believe you are wrong. I am getting the same run around I got four years ago, and my step daughter was treated in a manner like the first dealer he worked at, when she purchased her car. As far as stereotype, why not? It was the dealerships that decided to sell cars the way they do and the manufactures stood by and let them do it. What other industry has there own jargon for customers? There are some dealers that play by the rules, but everyone should, but they don't.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    What other industry has there own jargon for customers?

The judicial system, for one...
    Small Claims Court= "Small Brains Court" or "The Gong Show"
    Paternity Court= "Maybe Baby"
    Juvenile Court= "The FFA: Future Felons of America"

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

What run around are you referring to?

The dealer won't give you the price you want?

Sorry, but they are under no obligation to do so.
    Selling cars is a business. Businesses need to make money, as much as they can make.
    It's not rocket science.
    Plus, EVERY business has derogatory terms for their customers.
    The only reason you don't hear them is because there aren't websites devoted to stories and innuendo of their industries.
    You get ripped off far worse at a jewelry store or the grocery store.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    Oh come now. Let's not play naive here. The "tricks" aren't made-up, and not every customer's story of unhappiness is due to not being able to lowball the dealer.

Sure, the profit margin on many products is much higher than on vehicle sales. However, at both jewelry and grocery stores I've never:
    * had a salesperson insist on trying to sell me a monthly payment rather than a price
    * had the salesperson "lose" my trade-in jewelry to keep me in the store longer
    * negotiated a price, only to have it change before the deal closed
    * had a 4-square pulled out on me
    * been lied to about the condition/quality of a vehicle (they use largely objective rating scales)
    * experienced a bait-and-switch
    * had a confusing, frustration, or particularly stressful shopping experience

Fortunately, these tactics are becoming less common, but I've experienced all of them in the past 10 years. I used to suffer through them, but now I just walk out and seek out a more reputable dealership. The bad experiences aren't all due to price vs. profit.

Just as we acknowledge that there are bad, lying customers, there are also bad, lying salespeople who make the process entirely unpleasant for the customer.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Yes, all of these things happen, even today.

I'm from So. Calif and that is a HORRIBLE market for these tricks although there are good stores there too.

On the other hand, customers can be just rotten thrmselves. You won't believe the tricks they play or the lies they tell us.

I'll stick with my advise that I've given before...instead of trying to chisel the lowest possible price bu running all over pitting dealer against dealer, ask a family member or a co-worker for a referral!

You won't pay any more and you'll be happier!
    * had a salesperson insist on trying to sell me a monthly payment rather than a price
    * had the salesperson "lose" my trade-in jewelry to keep me in the store longer
    * negotiated a price, only to have it change before the deal closed
    * had a 4-square pulled out on me
    * been lied to about the condition/quality of a vehicle (they use largely objective rating scales)
    * experienced a bait-and-switch
    * had a confusing, frustration, or particularly stressful shopping experience

These things are hardly unique to the car business. In the car business, as in other industries they are the exception rather than the rule.
    The problem is sites like this that like to portray them as the rule RATHER than the exception.
    The mantra here is "Trust us, the car dealer is screwing you".
    Even though most of the info, esp the pricing info on this site is patently bogus.
    The problem is sites like this that like to portray them as the rule RATHER than the exception

I have to say the dealerships I have visited were mostly honest... a lot of game playing to get me in the dealership, but nothing illegal. Most of the salesmen were nice guys, one slimeball who lied about having a poor sick mother.

But, that's the way the media (and Edmunds) is nowadays. People don't want to read of someone getting a fair deal and everyone walking away happy. They want to read stories like Kristies... someone getting ripped off. Increased readership/members equals increased advertising $$$.
    Increased readership/members equals increased advertising $$$.

My, how cynical! Kirstie is merely expressing her thoughts and I think it's a rather long leap to attribute that to cold advertising calculations. I think we should avoid speculation on motives (which, invariably turn out to be misinformed anyway) and just listen to what people are saying.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Cynical?? not Jipster!

Why do you think I ignore him?
    LOL. I just knew the first response to that "cynical" comment would come from you isell, my Edmunds stalker who always lies in wait to read my posts then says he ignores them. You are about the only salesperson here that I have little to no respect for, so in the future would you please try harder to ignore my posts? ;)
    Kristie writes: Let's not play naive here

I agree. So, why the naivivity (sp) by some on Edmunds being a "business"out to make money. Edmunds is a business... no need to speculate on that. The more members and lurkers, the more $$$ Edmunds can charge for advertising.... Business 101. That a "Confessions of a Car Salesman" discussion is listed in Smart Shoppers 4 years after it was written, during a economic downturn, is... let's say curious. There is no doubt that most salesman consider this "Confessions" article sensationalised journalism, and it is presented in a negative manner towards their industry. I have posted many times before, that my experiences with dealerships, for the most part, have been positive. That most of the salesmen I have dealt with have been nice guys. I agree with kristie that there are a lot of good dealerships and a lot of bad. But, like I stated before, the bad news usually gets the headlines. That is called being a realist. :P
    Please keep this up. Maybe they will finally ban you!
    That a "Confessions of a Car Salesman" discussion is listed in Smart Shoppers 4 years after it was written, during a economic downturn, is... let's say curious.

Not really. We're putting out a series of "confessions" and the salesman confessions was the precursor to all the rest so it is natural to include it:

Edmunds.com - Confessions of a Car Thief

Edmunds.com - Confessions of an Auto Finance Manager

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper