Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edmunds.com - Confessions of a Car Salesman

2»

Comments

• delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Or maybe he is the owner or manager of the dealership where the Edmunds agent worked undercover and reported the story. A case of sour grapes,maybe ! :P ;)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    A case of sour grapes,maybe !

That sounds like good twist on a certain John Steinbeck novel. :shades:

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • From my personal experience I didn't know how to buy a car until I got ripped off from a car dealership. That said I would buy a car from the same dealership and same salesman because even though I overpaid it was my fault for not being prepared and all he was doing was his job. Now I have been to lots of dealerships and they all try to pull the same stuff but as long as you know the prices and how to crunch the numbers they won't be able to pull anything over on you. What I worry the most about now is being lied to about the condition of the car but Ive noticed that they act differently when dealing with questionable cars or if the car is under priced and they don't tell you why. Then all you have to do is ask for the car fax and most of them spill the beans anyways. And I learned that if you get a loan through a car dealership they jack up the APR and right off the lot the cars are way overpriced and they are just waiting for people to come in that have no idea whats going on to sell them to. Ive avoided pushy car salesman to because for one they are impatient and mean and they won't even let you shop without nagging you after you ask them to let you look and if they are that pushy means they might do anything to make some bucks. BTW I didn't even read that ancient article I just thought i might get some tips about the way car saleman act to store in my head for later. Any good tips you guys got would be cool!
  • salemgurlsalemgurl Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    So, it seems from my experience....

*if you have bad credit and you are approved for an auto loan....
    *you have to accept whatever car the dealer approves you for....
    *you have to drive that car off the lot - asap (once the documentation is signed)

Is this true?

and if so, why? (*good reference point for others with bad credit)

*Everyone would rather have the vehicle they actually like and pay the payments for that vehicle (especially if the vehicle they want is cheaper, and with lower miles than the vehicle they will ("put someone in" at a higher price)...

sounds shady....but if you need a vehicle and they've found ONE bank to approve you....

THEN WHAT?

1) can you accept the auto loan from that bank

AND

2) not take the car the sales person wants you to take

OR/ALSO,

3) can the the person creating the loan DENY the "bad credit auto loan" ALL TOGETHER if the person with bad credit decides to use the "LOAN" elsewhere?

Everyone would prefer for the salesperson to "hold" the approved loan for 30 days and locate the vehicle of their choice ---

*for the approved upon loan amount

~~~~

Thank you for your "positive" responses!
  • While buying from a perfectly polite sales person at an immaculate dealership, I pondered the technique where the dealer "discloses" invoice.

My response: "You guys are doing great. I'm sure you can take care of your own interests.

My interest lies in purchasing this vehicle for the lowest price possible. By the end of today, I'll be writing a check to someone. I hope it's you. Please give me your best shot."

By the end of the day, I wrote the check for $1K below the Edmund's value.

Conclusion: Ignore the dealer chatter and focus on your own goals. (This is especially effective with new cars, where you can buy from one guy and have it serviced by anyone!)
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    My interest lies in purchasing this vehicle for the lowest price possible. By the end of today, I'll be writing a check to someone. I hope it's you. Please give me your best shot."

I totally understand the customers personal interest, I'm a consumer also.....Oddly the lowest possible price isn't the same to every consumer. If you get tortured, lied to and water boarded to get the lowest price is it really worth it? Quite a few dealers will administer such tactics with just about every customer. OTOH, walking in, seeing a pretty fair price posted for everyone on the car and being able to get in and out quickly without the dog and pony might be a very good deal to others.
  • karhill1karhill1 Posts: 105
    The price posted would be established by the dealer. Since this price is not subject to negotiation it cannot really be considered to be a "fair price."

Some people may, indeed, be willing to pay more than a very good deal to avoid the "dog and pony show." I, as a car buyer, am glad there are such people as the profit they provide to a dealer allows me to achieve a much better price.

As mikeytp showed, the Edmunds TMV is simply an average price paid. Inherent in an average price paid is half of buyers pay more while half pay less. Personally, I would prefer to pay less. It really does not take much effort to pay less.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,663
    Agree totally...I want both sides to feel that it was a fair deal with both sides walking away happy with the deal. Car buying should not be a death match every time but a pleasant experience. They have a product I want to buy and I have the money to spend on that product. Civility and honesty need to be two very important variables in this equation as I still believe that word of mouth is a very tangible asset and both sides realize this. No one wants to be driving a vehicle they feel like they paid to much for as it will ruin the experience for as long as one owns that vehicle. i know I want to walk away with a very positive feeling since this is one of the biggest investments made at certain intervals over one's lifetime.

Make it easy, fun and affordable and I'm one happy camper!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,489
    Agree totally...I want both sides to feel that it was a fair deal with both sides walking away happy with the deal. Car buying should not be a death match every time but a pleasant experience. They have a product I want to buy and I have the money to spend on that product.

I agree 100%. I don't want to leave $1,000 on the table but I'm not going to obsess over the fact that someone else might have paid a few dollars less. I'm not in retail sales, but I have noticed that those grinders who fight tooth and nail to save the very last penny tend to be pretty miserable individuals.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

2»