Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Ford Taurus

Comments

• podpod Posts: 176
    I think the qualifying phrase you missed is "non Ford owners". No matter.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    If you are looking for a quiet, solid, good-looking car with plenty of power, try the Taurus Sel and don't go for all the electronic stuff. The Taurus at any level is much more car than the Fusion. We have a Sel with awd (not necessary in many climates), Sync with reverse sensing, leather with passenger power seat. We paid $28,700 with rebates and Costco pricing---a true bargain, believe me., especially with 0% financing. We have everything we need. A fwd is less, of course. It is a big car and happiest on a freeway where we are getting excellent mileage. The level of refinement is above that of the Fusion, but a Fusion is more fun to park and drive in town. We also have a Freestyle which we like very much, even with its roaring CVT which always knows what it's doing.
    I wish the new products well. There are plenty of reviews from new or recent owners available on the forums. I wanted to extoll the trouble free history of my 2000 Mercury Sable now ten years and 140,000 miles old.
    1) no major unexpected repair charges except a fuel pump at 100,000.
    2) one brake job at 90,000 miles
    3) no exhaust system issues except new oxygen sensors at 120,000. No need for pipe repair or replacement!
    4) no electrical issues at all. No bulbs have even burned out.
    5) not a spot of rust.
    6) good fuel economy, even now 23 mixed and 31 highway with a V6.
    7) no leaks of oil, ps fluid or any other fluid.
    8) one battery replacement at about 100,000 miles
    9) Still retains about 85% of its get up an go. No major loss of power. I would expect a 140,000 engine to have lost some compression, etc. I still have all I need.
    10) no CV joint issues ever
    Are there some minor issues with interior wear, etc. Sure. But it is a trooper and I want to give a ten year review as testimony to Ford's excellent reliability which I expect has improved even more during the decade since I bought this one. Do not be skeptical about Ford quality. It has been a much better car than my prior BMW320i and Toyota Supra.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,138
    Had a chance to stop by the auto show. The new Taurus seemed like a really nice car. The only problem was that all the Taurus on display had sunroofs and they had very little headroom. I'm between 6'2 and 6'3 and my head was literally plastered against the roof. Not sure why they would have such low headroom in a big car? A lot of the Ford's on display had sunroofs. I know some people like them, but most cars you see in parking lots don't actually have them. It made the products seem cramped and also jacked up the sticker prices on the display vehicles. Not sure that was wise. The new Fusion was also nice and not quite as tight in headspace with the sunroof even though it is smaller and less expenssive than the Taurus.
  • Just a guess but those same Taurus models also probably had power seats. Those seats were probably powered off because the cars were shut down for the auto show. The seats are most likely 8 way adjustable so you can lower the seats down a good bit. I think Ford just tool the Volvo seats out of the S80 and put slightly different frames and upholstery so there should be three or so inches of height adjustment for both front seats.

There is a good portion of the population that will not buy a car without a sunroof. I know you may not see them but I do see them while selling cars. No hole in the roof means no sale.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    What you say about headroom with the sun roof is true. We don't use sunroofs so we didn't order it. That's why it's so important to know what you want-need and try things out before buying. I have bought a car off the lot only once in my life, although the waiting was sometimes irritating.
    Yeah, the Taurus on display had power seats, but they were connected. Lowering the seat all the way down my hair still seemed to slightly brush the ceiling and then the legroom was reduced. Disappointing for a big car. I think Ford may need to add some recent college grads to their design staff because kids in college are often 6 footers any more it seems and I think they could use some taller executives or something to preclude issues like this from happening. Americans are getting larger so they design a new larger Taurus with less space for the driver than in the previous mid sized Taurus??? Heck, the Accord has way more room and its smaller and more economical. I don't get it? When I'm in the market I may still take a look at it without the sunroof, but I was kind of let down and turned off which is a shame because the rest of the car seemed nice.
  • I wonder how many car-buyers are sharing my thoughts...my wife and I really like the new Taurus...and really like the upscale options for the seats...but we wonder if we will be better off waiting until the end of the '10 model year...for one specific reason: price. I cannot help but remember the large incentives that the summer of '09 brought to car-buyers...and the low-30's 2010 Taurus...in July-August...could it be a 27-28K Taurus at that time? I love the car...I really love the car...I'm just not sure it is worth what it now is selling for....
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Possible, but doubtful unless you happen to find one that's been sitting for a long time. Ford seems to be intent on limiting production and limiting incentives rather than throwing big cash on the hood.

A vehicle is worth what people will pay and a fair number of folks are paying current prices. Here is a question - what do you think is better for the same money or just as good for significantly less money? Or do you think all similar vehicles are overpriced?
    I don't seem to see a lot of these on the road. I don't know if that is by intent or if Ford is anxious to get the new Explorer in the Chicago plant to jack up volume and efficiency? I've seen some ads with a $1000 bonus on the new Taurus, but for all I know it is just some dealer gimmick offsetting little off the sticker.
    They're simply matching production to demand - they're not artificially increasing or decreasing supply. If you look to the right of this page you should see the 2010 Taurus advertisement with 0% APR plus $1K cash back. Also consider that the 2011 model will not be very different from the 2010 model so buyers won't see much difference on the lot.
  • akirby: your points are all good. There are elements of the Taurus that my wife and I really like. We need to decide whether we are going to spend our usual low-low-mid 20's on a car...or go up what for us is an entire 'level'. In other cars we've looked at...going low-30's buys a lot more car than we're used to...
    I wish more people would state it as you have - we don't want to spend that much on a Taurus, as opposed to just saying "the Taurus is too expensive". You get what you pay for in most cases.
    Present incentives on the 2010 Taurus in New England offer two separate promotions which allow $2000 back on the non-SHO models. Now we are getting to a very attractive price point.
    6400 units sold in February, nearly a 100% jump over last year. Obviously last year was a very bad year so the jump needs be seen in context. Nonetheless, Ford may get near the 100,000 mark for this year if this continues. There was no breakdown within the Taurus line (SEL vs. LTD vs. SHO, etc.). Good news for Ford.
  • jlcjlc Posts: 30
    The first think I had the dealer do when I picked up my Tauarus was to remove the rear seat head restraints. They take up a lot of veiwing space. I keep them in the trunk in case I have rear seat passengers, which I seldom do. Much better view with out them. The fronts don,t seem to be a problem. Maybe folks that are having a problem need to adjust the height to a more comfortable position.
  • famof3kidsfamof3kids Posts: 160
    I've wanted an SHO for years, and this model is awesome.

Yes the price is high, but, in comparing the actual content, there is no other car below $50k or $60k that has the same available content. I've been following lots of media outlets and most say the competitor is the Acura TL, CTS, G8, 535i. But, in comparing those against the SHO, none of them have the same content, so, how can they say they are accurate competitors?

For instance, none of those competitors have heated/cooled front seats and heated rear seats. Neither offer seat massage. None can come close to the 365HP. None offer collision warning. None have powered rear shade. One don't even have a 6spd auto. I think one might offer DVD in headrest as accessory. Of course, then there's the whole Sync system and 911 assist from Ford.

Seems to me that the value alone for a loaded SHO exceeds all competition. Right?

With all this going for it, a limited production run (instead of flooded market of 90's & 2000's), seems the residual value would have to be higher than 'before'.

I'm also keeping my eyes out for those with 2010's with high mileage to see how they're holding up...

Thanks all,
    Mark
    :shades:
  • jimlockeyjimlockey Posts: 265
    I would rather deal with a Ford dealer than any other, but with the price of gasoline going way up soon. I prefer something that gets almost twice the mileage. Sorry Ford but you need to add a good high mileage diesel engine to the Taurus.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    If you want high-mileage from a Ford dealer, you should check out the new Fusion S, or Fusion Hybrid. Not a whole-lot smaller, and 30-40 MPG easily achieved.
  • brspottsbrspotts Posts: 6
    I'm looking closely at the Taurus Limited.. Checked out the Fusion, but the seats are uncomfortable and seem small.. I'm 6 foot and so is my wife... Carrying three kids in back with luggage the Fusion will not cut it...

As far the Taurus, how is the Adaptive Cruise Control and the multi-counture massage seats? How does everyone like these functions?