Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Ford Taurus

Comments

• prigglypriggly Posts: 642
    Not to belabor the point but as a clarification, the new Explorer has a V6, not a V8, and the HP and torque are 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft. of torque, respectively. Not in the same league power-wise with the JGC HEMI.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    I believe the only difference is a couple of exterior color changes.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Which do you think will sell better - more power or better fuel economy?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    I thought I read the SHO was going to get a power bump, but building an '11, it does not look like it.
    At least you admit the JGC is a gas hog, which was conveniently omitted in earlier posts.
    JGC has 2 rows of seating, same as Taurus, but Explorer has 3.
    It will but not right away. It might have to wait for the new platform.
    edited October 2010
    FYI not everyone is obsessed with a minuscule increase in mileage. There are those who prefer the performance of a V8 to a 6, let alone a 4, the present hysteria with "fuel economy" notwithstanding.

And not everyone is obsessed with having "three rows" of seats. Quite frankly, I would not buy a vehicle that wasted trunk space by adding a third row of seats which 1) I don't need and 2) would be, as a consequence of their tiny, cramped size, only barely functional for anyone but a midget anyway.
    It depends upon the buyer. There are those who go for fuel economy and there are those who prefer performance.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Exactly. And still others who love the Ecoboost idea of increasing both.
    I don't really see why a JGC is being compared to an Taurus, other than they each can seat 5.
    An Explorer can fit 7 in the same area used by a JGC.
    If yo want bad mileage and an inefficient design, pick the JGC over the Explorer or the Taurus.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    edited November 2010
    Well, to each his own.To my eye, the 2011 JGC (available now) has superior interior finishing. It has shorter overhangs than the 2011 Explorer (better for off-roading and packaging efficiency) and is a more capable off-roader. It has good interior space compared to its overall length (the new Explorer is much bigger than the old Explorer, and larger than the JGC as well). That said, the new Explorer will be a very capable, if somewhat oddly styled, CUV and should do well in the marketplace. I suspect that the next Taurus will be better than this very good one, e.g., roomier and lighter with even better engines.
    I've heard the new Taurus being compared to the Jag XF (not exactly, but similar styling cues). I also think it will have a new or significantly modified platform. The current one is just a bit too tall for a low slung sedan.

The explorer will compete with Pilot, Highlander, etc. and isn't for hard core off-roaders. Although I've heard the new GC may have lost a little in pure off road capability.

I do think the GC is greatly improved, especially in the interior.
  • jlcjlc Posts: 30
    We have a 2010 LTD loaded and love this car. Just got back from a round 3100 mile trip, averaged 30.5 mpg at an average speed of 65 mph with occasional bursts of 80 to 90 when passing other cars. Great ride, love the massaging seats and everything else about the car.
  • My 1989 Taurus SHO with 225 hp would do 135+ mph so I don't know why your newer Taurus would not do as well. I had my SHO in Germany for three years where we would run on the autobahn frequently. The Germans hated being passed by an American car.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Aerodynamics and weight are two reasons it might not. It may, I don't know the details there (and the electronic limiter would prevent it from going over 112 I think).

I know my model of Sonata (249 hp, 3500 lbs) goes 137mph. I've never had it past 90, and that was only once.
  • c2c35c2c35 Posts: 37
    Well, from the post that I had made a while ago that was "is anyone happy with their new Ford Taurus" has kinda taken a weird turn. It had gone from everyone either praising or complaining about their Taurus's to now talking about Chevy's and Chrysler's. I am just trying to get back on subject with everyone that has had their Taurus's for a while now. So what do you think. Hows the car been? You having fun yet? Is anyone out there live in any of the places that has been hit with the snow and, if so how does the Taurus hold up? I am just wondering if there's anything out there to increase the performance on mine besides a k&n air filter. Well to all of ya keep enjoying those Taurus's! Keep those reports on them coming in.
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    Mine is a 2010 SHO with 16500 miles on her. It's a wonderful vehicle. No problems, excellent mileage for a big car and, if I can make this sound positive, it drives like an import! It is a first year design and I have done 3 TSB's since I took delivery but I have no problems with this. I would consider another one for my next car.

So far we have been lucky in NJ and no snow yet but I had one experience at the end of last winter just after I took delivery and the car seemed as good as my Infiniti G35X.
    well i didn't get the SHO i did get the loaded SEL. The SHO's only come with High Performance tires that arnt all weather right? I know I have the 19's that look more like those kind than all weather tires also. I'm hoping that there gonna be ok. I know i read in the manual that during bad weather to use the paddle shifters to have more control of the car. I guess we are all just gonna have to find out the hard way!!
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    Actually the SHOs come standard with 19" all season tires and even the 20" tires are all season Michelins unless you opt for the Performance Package. Then you get summer only Goodyear tires. But the SEL or Limited is a great choice as well. All or most of the features of the SHO with a non-turbo engine.
    That's true about the 19's. I have the standard SHO rims on my SEL with the Good Year Eagles. I actually looked at tirerack.com to check the specs on them. Well there really good high speed, cornering, supposedly all season. Reason being I say it this way because it actually states that they are only good in "light snow". Well the heck with it. I guess that we might finally be getting hit with some snow maybe over this holiday weekend in NY so time to test it out!! I'm really not worried I've driven Trans Am's, etc through out the winter and on those cars WHAT THE HECK IS TRACTION CONTROL?!! LOL!! Back then we used to call it "power sliding" or "getin nice" now it's called "drifting" LOL!! I guess when you get older you actually care a hell of a lot more about your investment huh?!