Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Ford Taurus

Comments

• I made up my mind about getting a black or white limited next year, but now I have decided to wait to see the 2011 Genesis with the mild upgrade first.

The Genni is RWD where as the Taurus is FWD or AWD. I don't know if there is an AWD being introduced in '11 for the Genesis. I also don't know if that matters to your situation. I have also heard complaints about the suspension on the Genesis, but I have a fair amount of seat time driving one (not mine) and I didn't notice anything bad about it myself. The car overall has a very different feel then the Taurus, but that isn't saying its good or bad, its just different. I am also surprised at how different the Taurus SEL feels compared to the SHO. They feel like two completely different cars, which IMHO, they should.
  • freezedfreezed Posts: 14
    How well did the 2010 Taurus sell in Sept compared to its main competition? I've seen many new Maximas on the road, too many to count. I've only seen one, count em, one, 2010 Taurus on the road. And I'm on interstate 85 two hours every day of the work week.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Maxima has been out longer than the Taurus
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    Whether you choose to believe this or not, Ford has been making cars that people want. While I agree with many of your points, you are over-correcting here, sir. Ford did not get into the financial straits of the past few years, and lose so much market share since 2000 by only making cars people want. Nobody much wanted the Ford Five Hundred or 2008 Taurus, even if they were decent cars. Nobody much anymore wanted the Crown Victoria. Focus sales were tanking until gas prices increased. The Ranger has been fading away for many years to a point where sales have stabilized at a fraction of what they used to be. The Contour ended up a sales dud. The last T-bird attempt did not fly. The Explorer went from the top of the sales charts to the bottom. The Freestyle and Excursion were both big duds.

What is true is that Ford is now making cars people want. Not so much true for Mercury and Lincoln, however. Look at Sept sales for L-M...double digits lower than the awful sales last September. Many people are predicting Chrysler's demise and GM's demise, and it is possible they may go. But let's not forget that Ford is and has been for several years now leveraged to the hilt, and is still not making money. GM and Chrysler further damaged their images through bankruptcy, but they did dump a lot of debt in the process. Ford hopes to hold out until there is some black ink, and I hope they do as well. And as for blaming the situation on the UAW? What about the do-nothing, no-nothing, high pay-collecting board? What about upper management? There is enough blame to go around.
    Agreed that the 2010 Maxima has been out longer, but I asked out Sept sales only.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    thanks for telling the diff between the SEL and SHO. Now I will have to consider testing both. I picked the Limited because I really don't need all that HP with the SHO but I prefer the look of the LTD over the SEL.
    I also drove a Genesis and the ride did not bother me at all. Maybe I was just driving it like it's a sedan and not a sport car, if you know what I mean. The redesign has a new trunk lid, which I hope would fix the water leaking problem that the Genesis has.
    RWD and FWD and AWD, all don't matter to me because as long as they have wheels and they drive, I'm ok with it.
  • alman08alman08 Posts: 282
    again... think global. sheesh.
    and yes, blame UAW.
    high pay collecting board members? they didn't get there by accident.
  • thanks for telling the diff between the SEL and SHO. Now I will have to consider testing both. I picked the Limited because I really don't need all that HP with the SHO but I prefer the look of the LTD over the SEL.

I meant the LTD vs the SHO, sorry, I skipped a model in my nomenclature. I think they are expecting the entry level model to do a lot of fleet service where a full size vehicle is needed/preferred.

I also drove a Genesis and the ride did not bother me at all. Maybe I was just driving it like it's a sedan and not a sport car, if you know what I mean.

The sense I got is that the issue is that the suspension is a little too stiff and it made it feel jittery over certain types of roads. I tend to like a heavy dose of "sport" in my sedan so it didn't bother me at all (I didn't notice it, actually, and Michigan has some pretty poor roads).

RWD and FWD and AWD, all don't matter to me because as long as they have wheels and they drive, I'm ok with it.

Yeah I guess no matter what you need power going from the engine to some wheel. :)

I think both of these vehicles are very impressive. Its hard to believe that the company that gave us the Hyundai Excel can produce something like the Genesis, and its exciting to see that a North American company can still develop a design that is stylish with the quality it needs to compete in this environment.
  • Oh, and check out the multi-contour seat option. It uses air bladders to provide lumbar support and I believe has a feature that helps circulation and eases fatigue while driving longer distances. I think BMW's 5 series, the Mercedes S-class, and the Volvo S80 have similar features.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    I have driven the SEL, Limited and SHO. We bought a SEL because its ride and noise level are superior to the others, and was a better value. Of course, the Sho is in a different category for power and also has different steering. Some dealers have huge markups which I don't think will work.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    Agreed that the 2010 Maxima has been out longer, but I asked out Sept sales only.

I don't think its fair to compare yet because there aren't those many 10 Taurus' at dealers yet. Longer term I think Taurus will easily outsell Maxima, but the large car market really hasn't been that hot the past few years. Maxima is more of a niche car compared to Altima. Taurus will likely fall in between.
    Well, when referencing how many you've seen, it's relevant to know how long they've been on sale, not just which sells more in a given month.
  • Already seeing 2010 Taurus SELs selling for 22,800 plus TTL around me with an advertised sticker of just barely under 29k.

I knew this would happen, and told everyone, but the faithful blue oval boys just wouldn't accept it.

I wonder if they'll be closer to 20k next spring?

This is not a Taurus exclusive thing: Now that Cash for Clunkers idiocy is over, I'm starting to see bigger incentives on all new cars.
    Well, I'll state my point again. I drive the interstate 2 hours every day of the workweek. I'm a car guy, so I notice cars. I've seen one 2010 Taurus. I see 2010 Fusions all over the place!!! I began seeing the new Fusions almost immediately after they went on sale. Are the new Taurus owners afriad to put them on the road? This car is the next version of the Ford Flex, too expensive for something with a blue oval on the front. Styling is good, much better than the old model, but the base engine is uninspiring, interior room not much more than an Accord. Good luck to Ford selling this car without huge incentives. As a side note, I've owned several Fords in the past, and I'm eagerly waiting on the new Focus to arrive.
  • Post the a link to a copy of the ad on here.

AWD SELs have an invoice of $27,500 and even if you total up all the incentives you only run up to $2,500 dollars in rebates. Most people won't qualify for the $500 early order one or the $500 military bonus or the $500 college grad rebate.

Holdback on Fords is 3% of MSRP so 870 bucks or so. That comes out to a net, net, net price of about $24,130. I can see going behind a little bit on an ad car but not almost $1,400 dollars behind and not on a mid trim level newly redesigned car like the Taurus SEL.

You go that far behind on a left over 2009 that is a stripper car and not newly redesigned. Actually you go more then that much behind on a 2009 but $1,400 behind sounds about right for a 2010 super base and not newly redesigned model.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,688
    They've only been in showrooms for a month or two. The 2010 Fusion has been out since March.
    And I saw 2010 Fusions on the road almost immediately when they went on sale. They are easy to spot compared to the 09's. Where are the new Tauruses? In hiding? Waiting for better weather?
  • Ford sold about 5,100 new Tauruses in September. That was more then 2x the number in August as production was just ramping. Maxima sales have ranged from a low of 2,300 up to 5,900 over the last 10 months with the lowest months tracking the industry trends.
  • Ford sold about 5,100 new Tauruses in September.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If those were all 2010 models, then that was a good performance. September was a weak month.
  • Has anyone seen the $25k base SE model on the road yet, every dealer I go by only has the SHO or Limited. Most Taurus you see on the road from previous years are the SE models and looking at the specs of the 2010 SE, its features are not that far off from the SEL.
    The SE is for fleet sales only. Not quite sure what that means for an individual, but I doubt you will see one on a lot. Go talk to the fleet manager at a dealership to see if you can order one. The ones on lots now are loaded up and hence over-priced. We ordered the SEL and got a terrific deal. This new Taurus is more of a highway near-luxo . cruiser and very big, so it's not everyone's cup of tea. I really like the paddle shifters.
    Those of you who predicted huge cash rebates will be dismayed to learn that Ford has dropped all rebates on the 2010 Taurus. The only incentive available now is low financing - 0% for 36 months.

It's too early to tell how long it will last, but it's certainly off to a great start all things considered.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,673
    You may be surprised to find out that, as much as I disagree with you on the depreciated value of the Taurus in a year or two, I am actually rooting for your view to prevail...it would be a welcome change to actually see an American car maintain its value after driving it off the lot...

I am betting my money (25 cents, to be exact) on my view, but I am hoping your view wins...
  • podpod Posts: 176
    Except for the sheet metal, what are the changes in the 2010 base model (i.e. without any options, I think it's called SE) as compared to the 2009 base taurus? or the 2008 SE?

Most of the attention understandably has gone to the SHO and some of the electronic gadgets on the upper level tauruses.

But, assuming that most SE buyers aren't interested in or can't afford the gizmoes and gadgets, how has the powertrain, engine, suspension, braking, steering, seating, power and fuel economy changed from SE2009 to SE2010.
    But, assuming that most SE buyers aren't interested in or can't afford the gizmoes and gadgets, how has the powertrain, engine, suspension, braking, steering, seating, power and fuel economy changed from SE2009 to SE2010.

Well, considering SE Taurus models are fleet-only, I'd say its a moot point. That said, fuel economy numbers are officially unchanged, as is engine output, but given the weight gain, I'd expect small penalties to both at best. As far as handling/ride/seating, that's probably so subjective you should simply test drive! :)
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    I have to be honest, I was very surprised by the article on the new Taurus success in California. Not only is that a traditionally weak market for D3, but you don't see lots of big sedans either. This is certainly a pleasant result for Ford. I wonder if Fusion is making inroads there as well?
    Aside from the new exterior and interior, there are other changes: reduction in nvh by the use of more insulation, acoustic laminate windshield and front side windows, stiffening of structure, several rear suspension items, reprogrammed transmission, air induction system, door seals, etc.
    The front clip was also strengthened to withstand the torque of the ecoboost engine. Quite substantially from what I heard.
  • I heard the EcoBoost requires a firewall made of cryptonite, lest the thrust pull the occupants from the passenger compartment into the time-space continuum.

Seriously, twin turbo V6s have been around since at least the late 80s. That Ford is so max hyping such an old technology is sad more than anything else.