Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Photo Radar

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,605
    berri said:

I know enough of Virginia to know there are very few places where 81mph is reckless driving territory.

Ironically, I-81 is often reckless driving territory up there. B) Especially the merge area south of Winchester where I-66 merges.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,854
    I imagine with a reckless driving charge you are entitled to a jury, whereas with a normal infraction you can't get a jury.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
  • eliaselias Posts: 2,114
    edited February 2015
    after driving a car with Hellcat-like power and way better handling on racetrack road-course, i became convinced to never buy one for the street, since anything but idling such cars on public roads is reckless driving or another criminal-violation, *by definition*. ... It would be fun to own such a car if I drove to the racetrack every weekend to air it out. With any car, if you spin the tires intentionally, it is reckless/racing/exhibition-of-speed - there is no way to beat that unless jury "nullifies" the law or judge is lenient. I don't think there is a 'mandatory minimum sentence' for hooners, except probably in Virginia.

Btw, reminds me that local city cops used to allow one day per year for people to hoon & do burnouts along a city block. I'm not sure they do it any more, gotta be liability concerns, a tire could shred and piece could fly off and nearly hit a old lady having lunch (i've seen this happen next to I-95, truck-tire shredded and landed one foot from coworker sitting at picnic table).
    All the more reason to get a car like the Quattro S4 where you can shoot off like a rocket and get no wheel spin.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
    A different kind of photo radar.

"We already have photo radar systems that automatically snap photos of cars that are speeding, but what if a vehicle is being too noisy? This could include cars with loud stereos, illegal mufflers, or horns that get honked just a little too often. "

Hornet system aims to sting noisy drivers (gizmag.com)

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,597
    edited December 2015
    Sounds like a good way to add to revenue streams, and line some well connected pseudo-private sector pockets at the same time.

Orwell must be laughing now. I expect it to be in Britain first.
    edited December 2015

edited December 2015
    Seems like a somewhat frivolous case. However, when the operators are on the take. the fine line between government and business becomes even more blurry. Keep the money flowing, those perks paid to appointed unfireable types don't fund themselves.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,409
    Oh man, bring it on for Harleys. The noise levels are getting absurd. Even I, as a feckless youth, had my noise limits on my motorcycle. No longer. No one should be allowed to wake up 4 city blocks at 2 AM.
    stever said:

"We already have photo radar systems that automatically snap photos of cars that are speeding, but what if a vehicle is being too noisy? This could include cars with loud stereos, illegal mufflers, or horns that get honked just a little too often. "

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Oh man, bring it on for Harleys. The noise levels are getting absurd. Even I, as a feckless youth, had my noise limits on my motorcycle. No longer. No one should be allowed to wake up 4 city blocks at 2 AM.

stever said:

But....but...LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!!!

(/sarc)

You mean, loud pipes plus those $10 helmets---LOL!

In all that 1984 style soon to be real in Britain blather, I am most concerned about some untouchable bureaucrat determining when a horn should be used.
    fintail said:

Seems like a somewhat frivolous case. However, when the operators are on the take. the fine line between government and business becomes even more blurry. Keep the money flowing, those perks paid to appointed unfireable types don't fund themselves.

The part that seems frivolous is the way the judge defends the City and the red-light camera enforcement program. Essentially the State says it's OK so the City is OK and it's all on the up and up.

Terrible argument. Judges like this that rubber stamp the loss of Constitutional rights should be removed. Then again, it seems like Republican party doesn't mind candidates that want to spy on everyone all of the time and maintain record databases on everyone all of the time.

For my money and votes, the best candidates are the ones that believe in more than just the 2nd Amendment.

• berriberri Posts: 6,119
    The bottom line in my opinion to traffic camera's and fines is the move to civil infractions making it harder to fight in court. They are pure and simple money machines.
    Hey, those bennies and pensions won't fund themselves.

I like the direct link between government and pseudo-private industry the most. Just an open door for corruption.
    ...and Chicago just got nailed about improperly set camera's while a bribery investigation is also underway. I'm just shocked ;)
    I like the shortened yellows the best. The people responsible for that should lose their job, any benefits (including unearned pensions funded by us) and all personal property.
    Yes, it seems like common sense, but for some reason some cities find it hard to set yellow times correctly. Part of it is the failure to set speed limits correctly. The yellow lights can be deliberately set too short, or unintentionally set too short if based on the speed limit. If and when (which is almost always) prevailing real-world speeds exceed the speed limit, then by default the yellow light will be of inadequate length of time. The faster you are going, the longer you need the yellow to reasonably last.
    I like the ones where the cities shorten the yellows after installing cameras. Numerous instances of this have arisen once palms are greased. It should result in crippling financial penalties for the people involved.
    The truth of the matter unfortunately is that the costs of firing and then litigating often make it less expensive to get an agreement with the individual to just dump the person and let it go without prosecution.
    berri said:

The truth of the matter unfortunately is that the costs of firing and then litigating often make it less expensive to get an agreement with the individual to just dump the person and let it go without prosecution.

Perhaps they should be labeled enemy combatants forgoing the lengthy and pricey prosecution.
    Hahaha !
    Dump them with no financial penalty, of course - they'll just be re-hired in the public sector elsewhere, and retire younger than the average person with much more income - on someone else's dime.
    "[D]driverless cars are known to behave more cautiously than their human operators. And by virtue of their, well, virtues, autonomous vehicles won't know how to speed, run red lights, park illegally or make other traffic violations that would result in a ticket. And that could drive some city budgets into a deep hole."

How driverless cars could kill the speeding ticket — and rob your city (washingtonpost.com)

Rob? But it's about safety, just ask the appointed authorities.
    Awww.....my heart bleeds for those cities. I'm sure a 1/4 percent rise in sales tax would cost me a lot less than being held up at camera-point for $500 for a red light ticket.

edited January 25
    stever said:

"[D]driverless cars are known to behave more cautiously than their human operators. And by virtue of their, well, virtues, autonomous vehicles won't know how to speed, run red lights, park illegally or make other traffic violations that would result in a ticket. And that could drive some city budgets into a deep hole."

How driverless cars could kill the speeding ticket — and rob your city (washingtonpost.com)

You bring up another good point; will the owner be liable when the driver-less car inevitably gets a video/camera type ticket? Those systems are notoriously bad, so I'm sure the false accusations will fall upon driver-less cars just as they have upon innocent drivers.

I think they should mail those types of tickets to Google.
    Since autonomous cars will be infallible, the problem will obviously be a malfunctioning camera.

;)

I rather doubt we'll see that level of infallibility for another ten years, at least.

edited January 27
    Redflex camera corruption case results in a conviction - I will wager a lot of money this kind of thing is present in dozens of cities with speed and red light cameras, if not the vast majority.

It's about safety, lol. Nice try, authorities.