Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Theater

Tell us about your Home Theater. Or, just discuss potential purchases here.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Comments

• lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    Maybe I should say that Bose is the greatest home theater company in the world. That seems to bring people out of the woodwork - with pitchforks and torches usually.
  • You left out a word, lemmer. Should read "Bose is the greatest home theater marketing company in the world." Right?

I'm not talking, because I've got B&W. Unbelieveably great. Only thing I own that's worth over $200, but it's not exactly what most people are looking to pop for.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    B&W? Over $200?

I guess it is real expensive finding a black and white TV these days.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    I guess I had a home theater back in the dorm room with the huge 13" B&W with the tin foil on the rabbit ears!

The young uns now have no idea how to manipulate tinfoil or tape pennies to the tone arm :P

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    Funny. I have all Zenith brand televisions and VCRs in my place and all are holding up very well. I have a 1980s Zenith console television in my basement den that still delivers a crystal-clear picture.

Sony is the Toyota of the electronics industry - still coasting on the fatally false perception held by too many sheeple that Japanese automatically = better.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Hey, I think a 1980 Zenith would still be a REAL Zenith. They were the best.
    VIZIO! The brand Wal~Mart customers KILL FOR!!!
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    Sony is the GM of the electronics industry - still coasting on the fatally false perception held by too many sheeple that American automatically = better.

Regards,
    OW
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,282
    If you can find electronics actually built and assembled IN JAPAN, they are automatically better and you can take that to the bank. A lot of the high end brands high end stuff is still made and assembled in Japan. The problem in the electronics industry is that you have the equivalent of a Rolls Royce and Chevy Aveo coming out of the same company. Sony has their HIGH end ES line and XBR tv line, and they also have their low end stuff to compete more price wise with the Chinese brands.

No matter the company though, I look for "made in Japan" on the box of my high end electronics. When I see made in China... it's not a death sentence, but it's a red flag. I'm not saying China doesn't make good stuff, but it's not bullet proof and automatic :)

Denon still makes some of their stuff in Japan, as well as I think some Harmon Kardon prodcuts are made in Japan, but it's getting harder and harder to find something not made in China or Malaysia or Singapore
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    I don't want to sound like I come from big money or anything, but we have two flat screen tv's in the house now. One of them is a 50" Hitachi plasma, and the other is some off-brand 42" LCD that I can't remember the name of right now. Dynex or something like that? Maybe the big name brands do give you a better picture, but I'll be danged if I can tell the difference. The picture's already big enough and clear enough that you can see every wrinkle, crows-foot, or pimple that an actor might be sporting. And don't try watching anything naughty in the livingroom with the door open, because body parts are recognizable from 300 feet away! :P

I still have an old early 80's 25" console. Magnavox I think it is. One of my friends gave it to me about 10 years ago, and I retired it about 3 1/2 years ago, when we got a new 32" tube tv for the living room (that one's obsolete now, too :( )

I'm half-tempted to just pitch the thing, but it's so much of a relic, that maybe somebody would want it. Maybe I'll try listing it on Craigslist or something.
    Hate to tell you this, but Zenith is one of the brands my friends and friends' families regretted buying and skimping out on the higher priced higher quality products. I think their Zenith TV lasted 2 years and busted.

I had no idea Zenith was American based at the time or any time until you mentioned it once recently. If more people had experiences like you with Zenith and GM, maybe they both wouldn't be bankrupt or on the verge now?

Sounds like the bulk of the populace had perceptions and experiences more like mine? People eventually vote with their wallets.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    My grandparents had a 1972 Zenith console, with a slate top (probably fake). It quit working in 1986. Granddad took the chassis out, took the sides off, and the top fit down on the base perfectly, making a coffee table. I actually still have the thing!

They replaced it with another Zenith, but by this time they were cheapened considerably. The thing crapped out in about 5-6 years.
    Sony 50" SXRD 1080P TV
    Harmon Kardon AVR 745
    Polk Audio LSi Towers in front, LSi C Center, Lsi 7 bookshelves in back, and Klipsch 10" subwoofer. Monster cable high end stuff throughout to connect. Panasonic VCR. Denon 3910 DVD/DVD Audio, Super Audio CD universal player.
    Belkin PureAV POwer Center
    Harmony/HK remote TC30
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,250
    I bought a Sony TV 2 years ago and it stopped working! Garbage.

Regards,
    OW
    Zenith was the last of the big American electronics companies to stop making their products here. We had a 1975 Zenith 25" TV that my dad had past 2000. He hated replacing it.

The company that makes Zenith now has nothing to do with the old company other than that own the name and logo.

Dad replaced the Zenith TV with an RCA - another name that doesn't mean what it did - and it has outlived dad.

Somewhere up in the house we had a couple old Zenith AM radios that date back to the thirties. Last I tried them they still worked.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,949
    oooh, the old Monster Cable scam. Talk about marketing. :P
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    >Sony is the GM of the electronics industry ... that American automatically

But Sony isn't American. That argument doesn't work.

This message has been approved.

lemko - if you're going to wait until your Park Avenue dies GM is doomed! That car isn't going to die. It has found the fountain of automotive youth and is regenerating....

But you've certainly done your part.

Sony, in addition to having put their name on some mighty bad junk after making such efforts to make a good name, is invariably full of proprietary parts so if anything goes wrong with it you HAVE to go through Sony. No, thanks.

My big TV is a Toshiba plasma but right now the video inputs aren't working. There's no way this should be an issue. It's only a couple years old.
    I think the Zenith name is now owned by LG. I remember my aunt who just passed away at age 93 had a still operating DuMont television which I believe was manufactured in New Jersey in the 1950s. My Dad told me his family was the first on the block to have a television and all the neighbors would come over to their house to watch it. I believe it was a Sylvania brand television the family received as a gift from his brother-in-law who owned a radio and TV store in Jersey City.
    Did you contact Sony about your frustration?

Did you buy the cheapest Sony product line of TV's money could buy?

I bet Sony would help you out in making that TV work again if you contacted them to express frustration that a SONY TV of all TV's would die in 2 years.