Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Home Theater

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Posts: 1,874
    Odd that they don't offer a non-DVR option. But you will love the DVR... worth every penny, IMHO.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    We are all hooked up.. The picture is stunning! In fact, the picture is so good in HD, that even the Bengals looked good this week.. :surprise:

Unfortunately, I've got a bad splitter in my cable box... Didn't find that out until we spliced into the cable that was connected to it (which ran to an outlet that we don't use).

Switched a couple around, and now I can watch my new TV.. but, now the one upstairs is out, until the cable company replaces the splitter.. :sick:

Oh yeah... Haven't got the rear speakers hooked up yet... Took us half the day to figure out why we couldn't get a signal.... But, that's all that's left... Except the four new remotes makes me think I need a universal..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,381
    Except the four new remotes makes me think I need a universal..

One of the Logitech Harmony universals would be my choice.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,325
    I've noticed companies have their own strong suits and areas of expertise:

Sony - TV's and monitors
    Panasonic - Plasmas
    Canon - Cameras
    Harmon Kardon - amps/receivers
    Denon - Amps/receivers/DVD players
    Oppo - DVD players
    Monster Cable - wires and cables, connectors
    Onkyo - Amps/receivers/ Home Theater in a Box systems
    Sharp - LCD TV's
    Belkin - Surge Protectors
    Polk Audio - home audio speakers
    Logitech - computer speakers, and computer peripherals
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    Hi Tag,

I would suggest either the Samsung 65" B650 LCD, or Panasonic 65" V10 plasma, depending on your viewing preferences. The Samsung will be brighter overall, and probably the better way to go if you want to mostly watch television programming with the lights on. The Panasonic has the edge in viewing angle and black level, and is better for movies. Unfortunately the LED back lit sets top out at 55".
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    LG & Tag,

I'm not an expert but last year I bought a Pioneer Elite 60" Plasma and it is terrific. I looked at pretty much everything and found this to be the best picture in my opinion. Now they don't go to 65", I think the 60" is the largest but it is great.
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Thanks LG! Yeah, shame no backlit LED on the 65"ers I was also wondering about Sony's top LCD. What do you think? I recently saw a 55" Panasonic plasma and the whites were not pure. I don't understand the reason for that, but it makes me concerned that their 65" would have the same issue.

TM
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,593
    I'm looking to buy a 40" LED backlit TV soon. What would anyone here recommend? I see the Sharp is the cheapest, but the Samsung brand seems better.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    I've bought recently a lateral-lit LED 40" Samsung 8000, to be watched from 3 yards. Image is great, the best I've seen; sound is not. (No Samsung 8500 Series over here. Samsung keeps promising it but never delivering.)

Regards,
    Jose
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Hi Lexusguy,

I bought one just today.

The Samsung B650 no longer sells in Toronto and has been replaced by the B610 which I bought at a compellingly low price relative to other retailers. The 52" is 50 percent cheaper than last year. My wife wanted a 46" since she finds that screen too big already. But I won the debate since our kids were on my side.

I have patience and will buy a 3D Wall Unit OLED TV when they sell at the same compelling low price as my LCD TV today. Not much of a TV fan myself. For leisure my wife and I prefer reading books --yes we are just two boring Canucks.
    The highest series I have seen in NA is 7000, but we tend to lag behind in many areas. The Samsung models look like a safe bet according to online reviews.

I will be watching the unit from maybe 2 yards...I want that size as anything larger won't fit in my wall unit, and I am not buying new furniture for a TV.

To think, I paid $800+ for an off-brand 27" LCD 5 years ago.
    The highest series I have seen in NA is 7000

I saw a Samsung 55' 8000 selling at the store I bought my tv here in Toronto, Canada.

The picture on my spanking new Samsung B610 is breath taking when compared to my 11 year old Trinitron Sony TV. No wonder I was not a TV fan all these years. As of today I am the biggest TV fan on earth. The hell with my bookshelves ;)
    I was also wondering about Sony's top LCD. What do you think? I recently saw a 55" Panasonic plasma and the whites were not pure.

The best LCD Sony offers at 65" is the W5100, which I don't think is as good as the Samsung. Sony's XBR sets are quite good, but I feel like the "regular" models are just average. Sony's media bar menu system is also a huge pain in the [non-permissible content removed].

Was the Panasonic set you saw a V10? The big difference between the top Panasonics and the lesser models is the color accuracy, which you can easily calibrate by turning on their THX mode. From what I've heard, the V10 is the best looking plasma currently on the market. The Elite Kuros were the best, but Pioneer threw in the towel on those due to pricing pressure.
    I'm looking to buy a 40" LED backlit TV soon. What would anyone here recommend? I see the Sharp is the cheapest, but the Samsung brand seems better.

Take a look at the 42" LG 42LH90. It's not quite up there with the XBR8 or B8500, but the price difference is huge, and I think its a better performer than the Sharp or Toshiba back-lit local dimmers.
    . As of today I am the biggest TV fan on earth. The hell with my bookshelves

Hahaha. Samsung does a really nice job with pretty much all of their sets, which is why they are usually my default recommendation unless someone is looking for a specific feature or attribute. Take a look at calibration suggestions for your set on the AVS forum. The guys there should be able to help you dial it in perfectly.

My wife does most of the TV watching at our house. I watch Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and Keith and Rachel on MSNBC. That's about it unless it's Top Gear season on the Beeb, or James May has a new Wine Adventure series.
    Ah, I haven't seen an 8000 series online yet, at least not in the size I am looking for.

A question about these, will they work with a region-free DVD/BluRay player? Are they "multi system" TVs or would one need a convertor?
    I have just one problem - my wall unit has a TV space that is only 28" tall, and not a fraction more. It limits what I can do...it seems 40" units will fit, but 42" and above won't.
    I have just one problem - my wall unit has a TV space that is only 28" tall, and not a fraction more. It limits what I can do...it seems 40" units will fit, but 42" and above won't.

Yeah that's a bit of an issue, as most of the local dimming back lit sets aren't made smaller than 46". The Samsung edge lit 6000 and 7000 series are available in 40", but the 8000 and back lit 8500 are not. IMO, Samsung's edge lit sets aren't really any better than the cheaper CCFL based models, and in some areas they are worse. The razor thin profile is neat, but that's the only real advantage.
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Fintail, Dewey,

My 40" Samsung 8000 was a compromise too between my wife whishes (she wanted it smaller) and mines (I'd rather had the 46"). None of us wanted a tv screen being too imposing in our reading cabinet. In the end, the Samsung 40B8000 works most nicely at a distance from the eye of 2-3 yards.

As Dewey, I have replaced with this Samsung a more than eleven-year-old Sony Black Trinitron. As well, I still have not thrown away the books, ha ha. (A couple of thousands, may be, not counting those related to our jobs; there are two rows of them in each bookshelf.)

Rising the curtain I put here a few pics of the room including the music set that LG recommended to me some months ago (Simaudio Moon i 3.3 and CD 3.3; Clearaudio Performance; Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand); REL R-305).

The music is hidden in the shelves.

Double rows of books on them.

This is the sub-bass at the room corner, and the old Sony Trinitron

The new UE40B8000, even though with the image not fitting the screen :blush:

The "boss chair" in the center, as it should be.

And, the views behind the windows

Welcome to my home.

Regards,
    Jose
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,369
    Outstanding residence! You do not need to worry about TV screen size with a phenomenal view as you have!

Enjoy!

Regards,
    OW
    I like the thin profile and the lack of heat they give off, yeah. I just started thinking about getting one, and I have noticed prices have fallen considerably already...maybe something good will come up in the next couple months.
    Very impressive set up there - much nicer than mine, lovely location.

That 8000 series 40" doesn't seem to be available here. Maybe in 2010 when new models arrive, we will get that.

I was in Switzerland a couple months ago and a friend I stayed with had a new Panasonic unit, 46" I think. Very impressive display...probably some model not available in NA.
    What a panoramic view of the Bay of Biscay (if I am not mistaken). I would love such a view but unfortunately I cannot bring the Bay of Biscay to Toronto. Lake Ontario will suffice for now though the city skyline gets in the way from my office-loft view.

Love your book shelves. I really do. They make up for the lack of topless beach women who seem to be very shy and are hiding behind the trees of your photo. ;)
    Thanks again for your suggestions.

I still got to get used to this notion of having a digital box and recording cable channels. Luddites like myself are quite bedazzled by such modernity.
    That is a phenomenal view you've got there. My wife and I have to go on vacation to have views like that :)
    I still got to get used to this notion of having a digital box and recording cable channels. Luddites like myself are quite bedazzled by such modernity.

Haha. Once you go DVR, you never go back. I find the concept of "broadcast schedules" laughable these days. You mean you expect me to be in front of my TV at a specific time and I have to sit through fifteen minutes of commercials? What is this, 1877?
    LG,
    Thanks again for recommendations for the 65" flat panel. In addition to the 65"for the family room, we've decided to also put a flat panel in the master bedroom. I know that there are those that advise against a tv in the master bedroom, but we don't worry about a tv ruining our love life... haha.

Anyway, I'm thinking that a 50" or 55" would be plenty big for that wall, and I understand there are better models available in those screen sizes than available in 65". So, in the 50" to 55" range, what do you suggest?

When I return to Malibu next week, I'll start checking out your top picks in both the 65" and the 50" to 55" range. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks for your continued help.

TM
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,245
    Very nice, Jose. It's all good, but the view out the window was what blew me away (as an ex-sailor).

Happy New Year!
    Heck with the TV... Ha... It's always the view that really captures the eye, and you have a terrific location there!... obviously. One day, very soon now, within a couple months, I will be lucky like you, when we can actually move into our little Malibu remodel, as it overlooks and views the Pacific Ocean... I can hardly wait to get out of the temporary rental.

Thank you for sharing something often kept private. Over the years, your posts have shown that you live an enriched life and are clearly a blessed man... With a great family and a loving partner to share your life. That is your biggest blessing! Bravo!

TM
    From what I have been reading, the Samsung 8500 series backlit LED looks like the best flat panel out there in 55".

With CES just around the corner (I think next week in Vegas), I'll wait to see what new TVs are announced. Hopefully a backlit 65"LED to join the 55"... or some other improvements or breakthroughs, but I have no interest in 3D TV that is coming soon... Unless they eliminate the goofy goggles.

TM