Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 wrx sti

jsylvestrejsylvestre Posts: 8
edited July 8 in Subaru
just wanted to state a couple of my thoughts on what i think subaru should do with the sti. first i think they need to change the seats color scheme a little,secondly the interior door panels should match that found in the legacy.(currently own a 2008 legacy however will eventually own sti waiting to see 2010 changes) and lastly they should offer a 4dr sti. let me know what you guys think.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    A.... 4 door STi? That simply is not going to happen. The STi is far too specialized with too few units produced/sold for Subaru to invest in two body types for it, and the hatch has more overall appeal, utility, and balance.

Also, with the fact that 2008 MY is a complete re-tool for the car, plus several significant tweaks for 2009, I suspect we will not see any major non-mechanical changes in the 2010. Though, it would be nice if they added the cold-weather package to the car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I say source the door panels from the Forester. It's closer to the Impreza now, yet the door panels are more upscale, with a better elbow rest. It might actually fit as is, or with only slight modifications.

The door panels on the Legacy actually are not well designed - the door handle blocks access to the power window controls.

So copy the Forester, not the Legacy.
  • yes the power controls are blocked however currently owning the legacy i find that the handle is completely necessary for the passanger especially. Does nobody agree? maybe iem way off
    Check out the Forester, it's easy enough to reach. Perhaps because the door itself is smaller.

There's a pic, you see how similar they are, yet the door panels in the Forester are just a bit nicer. The elbow rest is very well padded, something my 98 Forester did not have, so it stood out to me.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Also, with the fact that 2008 MY is a complete re-tool for the car, plus several significant tweaks for 2009, I suspect we will not see any major non-mechanical changes in the 2010. Though, it would be nice if they added the cold-weather package to the car.

Actually the 2009 STi is the same as the 2008 other than the white color changed.

I expect 2010 to bring a more powerful STi something in the 350hp range.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    I agree, and increasing the hp seems like the easiest thing to do.

Maybe offer the Spec C here as well?

tom
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    I would like to see a turbo 3.0 H6 (not 3.6, but 3.0) in the STI. That would allow the ceiling to be raised a bit on the 2.5 WRX and 2.5 GT Imprezas.

I'd also like to see a "Limited" trim level be offered on the 2.5 GT, WRX and STI, in which NAV (w/traffic & weather) would be standard, as would leather—and still more sound deadening to further quell road noise. Throw in an upgraded audio system with a 30+ GB hard drive as well, to store music.

Bob
  • With the release of the Hyunadai Genesis and Mitsu undoubtly having something in the works, more boost is defitnetly in demand. I don't know about a "limited" package on a STI, we'll leave that to the guys that wear their sisters pants. Subaru should offer a stripped down version of the STI much like the '06-'07 WRX TR wich would be ready for the owners preference of mods and brands of aftermarket goodies.
    I agree with the limited trim with a nicer interior and much better stereo! (and Nav unit) but I'm sure that would push the STi into the $40k range, which might be a hard sell.

I think the turbo H6 would be very cool- not much weight penalty and a lot more potential power. But once again, might push it over the $40k range.

tom
    Well, that's another item that needs to be addressed: $40K for an NAV-equipped econocar with a gonzo drivetrain? There's no way an STI should cost twice that of an Impreza 2.5i.

The STI may be a great little car, but a great "value" it's not. There are a lot of very nice performance cars in the STI price range—and that are in many ways far more compelling than the STI.

Bob
  • In that some tuners are getting close to 200 HP per litre from the 4 banger, I'm not in favor of an even greater amount of weight hanging off the front. I think that's exactly how Audi lost their way.
    Subaru needs to make the STI "special" again. Compared to the '09 WRX, the STI looks like an overpriced car, with not a lot more to offer than the WRX.

Giving it a turbo 3.0 H-6, with 350+ hp, does just that.

The BMW M3 has a very different engine than the standard 3 Series. I think that's what's needed here. Also, I'm not concerned about whatever extra weight that may involve. It won't be much, as the Legacy does just fine with the H6.

Bob
  • putting a six cylinder engine in the sti would destroy its heritage. putting a six in the impreza sti would ruin it! you can extract plenty of power out of the 2.5 h-4. more then you can use! now if they made a legacy sti with the h-6 as a big brother to the impreza sti that would be alright.
    It's not a question of getting more power. A 3.0 H-6 turbo in the Impreza STI would elevate the [Impreza] STI's image, and would likely sell more cars—assuming they can solve the "value" issue.

As to heritage: Subaru has just dropped out of the WRC. Plus the cars they raced in the WRC were 2.0 engines, not 2.5 engines. So I don't see a problem here either.

Offer a larger 3.6 H-6 turbo in the Legacy STI. Having two STIs, with different engines is not a problem.

Bob
  • It's not the weight it's self that bothers me, but the weight distribution. Subarus are already burdened with most of it's weight in the worst place.
    Mitsu sales were down more than 25% last year, IIRC. The new Lancer isn't doing that well.
    In Japan Subaru has introduced a new STI luxury trim level that is called the A-Line.

It comes with the 5-EAT w/paddle shifters, SI-Drive, 8-way power seats, soft leather door trim, and optional leather seats. Also, this is the first 2.5L STI sold in Japan; other JDM STIs are all 2.0L. It's also the first STI to be offered with an automatic—anywhere.

http://finchannel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30441&Itemid=14

http://www.subaru.jp/impreza/wrxsti/

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25688926&postcount=138

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090224.006/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-a-line-announced

I wonder if the all-new Legacy turbo might get this horsepower?

Bob
    STI + Automatic = sacreligious.
    I agree- why not just get a Legacy?

It's like an Auto Ferrari or Porsche or Corvette!
    Oh, I guess they have those too. ;)

Even a DSG for the STi seems out of place, but I guess it's what the public wants. :(

tom
This discussion has been closed.