Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Were hybrids ever the silver bullet?

13»

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,684
    There's almost always more than one person on the floor. Even Sales mgr's will often close a deal.

My experience walking into car dealerships was not positive. I have found over the years that MOST car salesmen are clueless about what they sell. Only a few exceptions have I encountered. When I bought my Sequoia things were said that were untrue. What are you going to do after the fact? Same for GMC. Honda I could not get past the arrogance of my local dealer, losers. I remember all the promises from Toyota when it comes to putting hybrid drive train into the whole lineup. That was just cheap talk. There is no hybrid SUV worth considering in my sights. So in my opinion hybrids are just a LEAD bullet. Not a dud, just not practical for mainstream America.

I can shoot every hybrid comparison down for all but the few that drive more miles per year than Al Gore will allow with his Carbon Credit scam.

Quite frankly I was very surprised in this current market that Ford was still holding so tight to the MSRP on the Escape Hybrid. If they are in extremely short supply I guess that would be the answer. I think right now you can name your price on a 2009 Prius as the market is flooded with them. At least here in San Diego every dealer has a huge selection of every hybrid model.

Question, why would anyone pay $50k for a Highlander Hybrid?
  • Most people don't know how and why to get bids on a vehicle and the dealers try to take advantage of that. Yes, the salesmen don't know what they should, but the manufacturers don't make all those details available either (try to find braking distance).

I gave up waiting for a hybrid minivan. Toyota isn't the only one failing to deliver product.

I don't know what you expect from a hybrid SUV, but GM and Chrysler have some models that will tow a large payload.

I think that it's hard to gear a hybrid for both on road and off road use.

Milage is the most important factor in getting a hybrid, but it's not the only one. Reduced brake wear and enhanced performance are also important.

A Highlander Hybrid isn't $50K, but some of the vehicles at the dealers may approach that MSRP because the vehicles are loaded with options that aren't needed. (You need to get a whole package for just one option.)
    Welcome to the Forum

I don't know what you expect from a hybrid SUV, but GM and Chrysler have some models that will tow a large payload.

I expect it to do what a non hybrid will do off and on road. The hybrids from GM give up about a third of the towing capacity. Not sure what would happen crossing a stream or driving up a sandy wash. I know Lexus says off roading the RX400h is a no no.

That and the premium is not worth the minimal mileage gain on the GM hybrids. You get a lot more bang for your buck with a diesel SUV.
  • I expect it to do what a non hybrid will do off and on road. The hybrids from GM give up about a third of the towing capacity. Not sure what would happen crossing a stream or driving up a sandy wash. I know Lexus says off roading the RX400h is a no no.

Yes, the Yukon towing capacity drops from 8200 to 6000 lbs by going hybrid.

The electric motor may be geared wrong to help with towing.

The RX400h is a crossover vehicle, so I wouldn't expect it to be to handle rough situations.
    Here is the reality of the GM hybrid Yukon. I can buy a Mercedes GL320 CDI with more torque, better towing, superior handling, 25% better highway mileage, more luxury features for about the same price. I have a friend with the Mercedes that goes from Portland to San Diego average 75 MPH much of the trip and gets a consistent 27.9 MPG. That is over 700 miles on a tank of fuel. This is proven Mercedes technology vs trial and error GM hybrid technology. I am leaning toward the ML320 CDI that beat out the RX400h in a cross US mileage contest. It easily gets 30 MPG out on the highway. That is about 750 miles between fuel stops. 33% less fuel is what conservation and being green is all about.
13»
This discussion has been closed.