Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra Brake Problems

2»

Comments

• I initially did a search on 196N and could see nothing but ads for digital force push/ pull gauges (expensive too)...I see what you mean... did a search on 196 newtons and can see several makes that use that as a reference.

I think one of the things I'm going to check on when we make another purchase is HOW OUR NEW CARS SERVICE DEPARTMENT MAKES THESE ADJUSTMENTS AND REALLY LOOK HARD AT SOME OF THE THINGS YOU MENTIONED IN YOUR OTHER POSTS BEFORE WE COMMIT AGAIN ...I see, you pulled the trigger yesterday... how do you like your new VW Jetta? ;)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,630
    Well, that is off topic but it's only a "new" car to me.... it's a 2005 model. But it looks and drives like new with new rubber, was about the same price if not a little less than a used Elantra with six airbags and ABS, has CD and cassette (I still have a lot of those), and it's a Certified car (2-year warranty) plus I was able to get 6 more years of bumper-to-bumper warranty added on for a reasonable price, so it will have low ownership costs almost until my daughter finishes college. Not as much room in back as the Elantra, but enough for around town, which is what the car is for.
  • Anyone have an idea why my brakes feel blocked, maybe by ABS, when I brake on icy roads?
    BigJay09
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,630
    Not sure what you mean by "blocked". Can you please be more specific?
  • dans7dans7 Posts: 1
    My 04 Elantra has about 60K miles on it (have not done that service yet), last year got new tires and brakes. About 6 months ago I noticed a studder both when I release the brake or break to a stop. More recently the brakes squeek and squeal alot. I know I can take it to the dealer - would be helpful to know if others have had the same prob and how to deal with it. Thanks very much.
  • December 26, 2007 I purchased a used 2005 Hyundai Elantra GTS with 23,000 miles on it. In September of 2008 I took my car in to have the 30,000 mile service done. I was told that my rear brakes were completely worn and needed to be replaced. My front brakes were fine.

I started to hear squealing in my front brakes in September 2009 so I took the car to a shop right next door to where I worked. They told me both front and back brakes were shot. I asked them to replace my front brakes, but that I would take the rear brakes back to the dealership since they should still be under warranty. I was told it was still under warranty and that it must just been a fluke and they would replace the rear brakes again. They did the work and told me that it turned out I was actually 3 days out of warranty but they were being good guys and would cover the cost.

In July 2010 I heard squealing again in my rear brakes. I took the car back to the dealership and was told that the brakes were shot for a 3rd year in a row. I was told by the service manager that because I was not charged for the brakes being repaired 3 days past 1 year in 2009, even though the brakes had worn out again in less than a year, I would have to cover the cost of the repairs. They tried to tell me that it was normal for the brakes to wear out in 1 year or 10,000 miles. I pushed them on the issue and made a fuss, including called other dealerships. The service manager told me that he would look into the issue closer and they said there was something that was loose (maybe a caliper) that was dragging on the brake and that was the issue. They charged me to replace the brakes again (the caliper was repaired under a warranty contract I have).

It is September 2011 and for a 4th year in a row my rear brakes are squealing again. I do not want to pay for a new set of brakes if they are not going to figure out the problem. Please advise me what to do. I am supposed to take the car in Friday morning.
  • We won our :lemon: Lemon Law case against Hyudai and they had to buy back the car in March 2009 (always in for shifting problems which led to braking problems and finally we were told some SUPER B.S. by the district rep that we incompatible with the car...we did not accelerate fast enough and that the car was designed not to pickup speed while going down hill (the latter ended up being the emergency brake dragging for months) It cost us $3,000 for mileage we put on the car (10,000 miles) :mad: It sat parked for almost 4 months while we were making payments on it :mad:, so we were glade to see it go!

Back to your issue...when do your brakes squeal? While braking or always

Can you identify which side? Left, right or both

Can you easily see your brake pads? If not, can you remove the tire on the side or sides that are squeal?

Are the brake pads worn to the replacement indicators (metal taps that touch the rotor)

If yes, and you have only driven 10,000 normal miles (not 10,000 miles of in New York City stop and go driving) then you probably have a caliper that is not fully retracting (slides not lubricated or dirty or a bad caliper)

Good Luck with this and Make sure to get all parts replaced by the dealer (pads, rotors, calipers) unless you don't have to pay for anything! :)
  • I am glad to hear that you won your case!! Good for you!

First of all when I put the car in reverse and start backing up it makes a horrible loud grunting noise. When I apply the brakes to stop at like a stop light it also makes a irritating squealing noise as the wheel turns.

I had the caliper replaced last year because they told me the boot over it had come off and the caliper was exposed causing the caliper to go bad. They replaced the caliper and the rear pads and told me everything should be good.

I am not mechanically inclined and because of medical issues can't get down to look at brake pads, but I was told when I brought the car in today that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car and that it is just normal wear for in city driving. I live in a suburb of Sacramento in California. I drive 9 miles each way to work which takes me 20 minutes. I have to stop about 7 times at stop lights each way. I asked if it is possible that they aren't adjusting the parking brake correctly and therefore maybe it is causing the brake to rub constantly. They told me there is no way that would be happening, it would cause the brake to wear way to fast and they would be able to tell. I guess I am going to have to just pay $300 each year to get my brakes done. The funny thing is that I did the same amount of driving and on the same exact route in my 2001 Saturn and I didn't have to replace my brakes but once in 60,000 miles. Now I am replacing them every 10-12,000. I will never buy a Hyundai again after this.
  • Sorry to hear the repair was not FREE

Which brakes did you tech replace or what did they do to fix the problem?

Front, back or both

Replacing brakes (pads and or rotors) at 10 -12 K in NOT normal. Taxi driving in all day long in stop and go (maybe), but not what you have described. I know Sac can have a lot of stop and go on the freeway during rush HOURS, but if your tech is telling you this type of replacement is normal, I would get a second opinion.

Maybe your tech is replacing parts with inferior pads, rotors or calibers. Did you get the old parts from this most recent repair?

Do you use the parking brake at all (would only affect the rear brakes)?
  • My front brakes still have 6mm left on both right and left side. I had those replaced 25,000 miles ago.

They replaced the rear left and right pads, and resurfaced the rotors to 18.1mm. I did request the old parts back. They gave me the brake pads which when my Dad looked at them he said it looks like they are wearing at an angle. Not sure if that is normal for a Hyundai. The box from the new brakes shows they are using Hyundai brake pads. They were very very dirty though. Couldn't even touch one without our hands being covered in black dust.

I only use my parking brake when I park, and have not even once forgotten to take it off before driving away.

My Dad asked them what the runout on the rotors was and they told us that they will not check the runout on the rotor unless there is complaint of pulsating. My Dad said that is crap because I brought it in for a 4th time due to the pads wearing out too soon, which is a problem, and therefore they should have checked the rotor to make sure it isn't warped. They told him that they have never done that and no one would have done that under these circumstances.

I have sent an email to the Hyundai Corporation and to department of highway safety and transportation, and the bureau of automotive repair to see if they can tell me what to do next. There is no way I can see having to pay $300 every year to replace rear pads. We also asked what the ratio is for my car for wear on front brakes compared to rear brakes and they said the front ones will last maybe twice as long as the rear ones.
  • I have a 2010 Elantra brought brand new off lot.. I have had the car for only 1 1/2 years and have 22 k on it.. My car started shaking when I hit the breaks and sometimes when it is wet outside when I back up I hear my breaks in the back. I brought it to the dealer today thinking it was under warrenty since it was brought new and does not even have 30k on it yet. It passed inspection in May, did not need breaks then and BREAK SENSOR LIGHTS ARE NOT EVEN ON in car,and it is Nov.. Service dept advised me that not only do I need all 4 breaks but all 4 ROTORS ARE WARPED and will cost me $1100 to fix. I looked at them and said do you think I am stupid, no way do all FOUR ROTORS GET WARPED AT THE SAME TIME!! Its a defect in the rotors, this is rediculous... I told them to give me my car.. I then went to dealer who gave no help as well.... Does anyone have these problems in a car that is not even off the lot 2 years..
  • I have a 2010 Elantra brought brand new off lot.. I have had the car for only 1 1/2 years and have 22 k on it.. My car started shaking when I hit the breaks and sometimes when it is wet outside when I back up I hear my breaks in the back. I brought it to the dealer today thinking it was under warrenty since it was brought new and does not even have 30k on it yet. It passed inspection in May, did not need breaks then and BREAK SENSOR LIGHTS ARE NOT EVEN ON in car,and it is Nov.. Service dept advised me that not only do I need all 4 breaks but all 4 ROTORS ARE WARPED and will cost me $1100 to fix. I looked at them and said do you think I am stupid, no way do all FOUR ROTORS GET WARPED AT THE SAME TIME!! Its a defect in the rotors, this is rediculous... I told them to give me my car.. I then went to dealer who gave no help as well.... Does anyone have these problems in a car that is not even off the lot 2 years..
  • I purchased my 2007 Elantra new. This is my track record for brakes. Find it hard to believe I am replacing brakes this often. When I took them in to the dealer last week, I was told brakes need servicing once a year for lube, etc our climate of rain, snow and salt. However, I am replacing these yearly. I hear some "resistance" like rust when I apply the brakes, especially after rain for the first couple applications. Has anyone else had these problem or any suggestions.

Nov 25, 2011 Front brake servicing, clean and adjust rear shoes, lube backing plates 62,948 km
    June 14, 2011 Pads and rotors for Right Rear brake only
    Oct 20, 2010 Pads and Rotors Rear 47,604 km
    July 31, 2009 Rear Pads and Rotors
    May 1, 2009 Front Pads 56,178 km
  • Hi, I've had 4 registered complaints with the brakes on my 2013 Hyundai Elantra. Could you please tell me about lemon law. This car is extremely dangerous and I dont want to drive it anymore.
2»